GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: republic on November 27, 2014, 03:36:54 PM

Title: Gaming Groups - Clans, Squads, Squadrons, etc.
Post by: republic on November 27, 2014, 03:36:54 PM
Do any of you belong to gaming groups? 

I often find myself playing online with the teenage squeakers and their older griefer variants, and I wish I could play with a regular group of adults.  So I go and find a few only to read all the requirements and wonder if I'd ever manage to juggle my life well enough to do half of what they want...

I end up doing this a few times a year and think "We'll if I'd just signed up the first time I thought about this I'd be set by now..."
Title: Re: Gaming Groups - Clans, Squads, Squadrons, etc.
Post by: Asid on November 27, 2014, 04:10:42 PM
I belong to the Dogs of War

We play only Steel Beasts at the moment. Mostly older group of players. We have a casual group as we;ll as a more "involved" group.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1288.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fb498%2FAsid_1%2FStrategy%2520Sim%2FAvatars-Sigs%2F82dd2733-c183-4c50-bb50-260b66bf6210_zps5eefdea5.png&hash=689f67d045177de172d8b40b0d302f70b9463fdd)

regards
Title: Re: Gaming Groups - Clans, Squads, Squadrons, etc.
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 27, 2014, 04:14:37 PM
I play ArmA with the usual group from SimHQ.  It's not a formal clan or anything, just a group of regulars.  I used to fly on the War Grounds: Western Front IL-2: 46 server quite regularly and would often see and fly with the same people.  Many of them were in clans or squads or whatever and would offer invites but I don't think it's for me.  I checked a few out briefly but it was always too regimented for my liking.  "You must make 2 practice sessions per week and agree to participate in tournament challenges on the following days...blah blah blah."  I play for fun, not as a form of work.
Title: Re: Gaming Groups - Clans, Squads, Squadrons, etc.
Post by: Yskonyn on November 27, 2014, 04:34:15 PM
Like Asid, Dogs of War.

I also belong to Dads of Destiny on the PS4.

And Beholders of Animus in FFXIV.

Plus, I regard Few Good Men (mostly Combat Mission) as a great group/clan.
Title: Re: Gaming Groups - Clans, Squads, Squadrons, etc.
Post by: Boggit on November 27, 2014, 04:40:22 PM
I used to play over at the Blitz Wargaming Club. They were a really good bunch of guys, and have no reason to think any different now. The only reason I stopped over there is because real life was butting in too much for me to maintain a reasonable return rate, or to make regular commitments to long term games. I guess I should go back to them now my situation has changed. I often play MP on the Slitherine lobby for Field of Glory, and the regular guys there are welcoming and good opponents.

I looked at Few Good Men's website, and thought they looked a great group so I agree with Yskonyn's view of them.
Title: Re: Gaming Groups - Clans, Squads, Squadrons, etc.
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 27, 2014, 05:51:47 PM
Isn't there a GrogHeads Steam group?
Title: Re: Gaming Groups - Clans, Squads, Squadrons, etc.
Post by: LongBlade on November 27, 2014, 06:17:33 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 27, 2014, 05:51:47 PM
Isn't there a GrogHeads Steam group?

Not only is there a Steam group, but there's an entire thread stickeyed at the top of this forum for it!

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=3367.0
Title: Re: Gaming Groups - Clans, Squads, Squadrons, etc.
Post by: Asid on November 27, 2014, 06:30:20 PM
There is also a group from here (GrogHeads) who casually play Steelbeasts in the Dogs of War vu. They drop in and out when the fancy takes them :)
Title: Re: Gaming Groups - Clans, Squads, Squadrons, etc.
Post by: Father Ted on November 27, 2014, 06:33:03 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 27, 2014, 04:14:37 PM
I used to fly on the War Grounds: Western Front IL-2: 46 server quite regularly and would often see and fly with the same people.  Many of them were in clans or squads or whatever and would offer invites but I don't think it's for me.  I checked a few out briefly but it was always too regimented for my liking.  "You must make 2 practice sessions per week and agree to participate in tournament challenges on the following days...blah blah blah."  I play for fun, not as a form of work.

Having dabbled with MP FPSs, I realised that I wanted to fly with real people and had a look at the squads on Mission4Today.  I signed up with a squad which seemed to fit my way of playing.  It has exponentially increased the enjoyment I get from CFSs, and I have made some real friends.  Our particular bunch is a squadron I suppose, but there's no requirement to attend, or ranks, or any of that malarkey, so it doesn't have to be that way.  We have our own closed server to fly DFs or coops, so you're away from any online BS, but if you want to venture into the "big leagues" you can have a mate to talk to and watch your six.
Title: Re: Gaming Groups - Clans, Squads, Squadrons, etc.
Post by: jomni on November 27, 2014, 06:55:26 PM
Not really a clan but The Blitz is a place where I occasionally  do competitive turn based wargaming. www.theblitz.org

In the flight sim world, I'm a member of VATSIM (vatsim.org).  it's a global group of Air Traffic Controllers and Pilots. We play by real world air traffic rules.
Title: Re: Gaming Groups - Clans, Squads, Squadrons, etc.
Post by: TacticalWargames on November 28, 2014, 02:01:46 AM
I too can highly recommend The Blitz community. The Squad Battles bunch are a great set of lads and are more than willing to help newbies etc etc.

SimHQ groups should be good to as that website\forum has a decent crowd.
Title: Re: Gaming Groups - Clans, Squads, Squadrons, etc.
Post by: republic on November 28, 2014, 08:50:53 AM
Thanks for the suggestions fellas, I'll look into those.  I haven't been able to catch a SimHQ ARMA night yet but I plan to.