GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Tech Talk => Topic started by: Martok on December 13, 2014, 01:42:32 PM

Title: Need new headphones
Post by: Martok on December 13, 2014, 01:42:32 PM
Any suggestions? 

Not looking for anything fancy, just something with decent sound quality and won't crap out on me after less than 12 months.  Also, comfortable would nice.  :)   

Title: Re: Need new headphones
Post by: bayonetbrant on December 13, 2014, 02:06:51 PM
There's some nice Skullcandy ones that my wife got at Target that she wears every day for work that cost around $30.
Title: Re: Need new headphones
Post by: Martok on December 13, 2014, 02:23:53 PM
Does it have a microphone as well?  I don't use it often, but every once in a blue moon I need it. 
Title: Re: Need new headphones
Post by: Staggerwing on December 13, 2014, 02:57:55 PM
I have a nice USB set I got from Newegg. It's a Rosewill RHM-6308 (Rosewill is their house brand) and it has nice sound. The only annoying thing about it it the fierce blue power light on the on/off/volume dongle thing part way down the cord. I keep meaning to get some electrical tape to cover it because it is harsh at night. If you get a USB set remember that you can't use it with regular stereo plugs on other devices and that it might use it's own sound processor instead of your sound card (which is good if you have a crappy card or laptop).
Title: Re: Need new headphones
Post by: bayonetbrant on December 13, 2014, 03:02:07 PM
Quote from: Martok on December 13, 2014, 02:23:53 PM
Does it have a microphone as well?  I don't use it often, but every once in a blue moon I need it. 

no - she doesn't ever need any
Title: Re: Need new headphones
Post by: Gusington on December 21, 2014, 01:58:24 PM
I got a nice pair from Sony on Amazon a year ago for around 25.00. Good headphones and comfy.
Title: Re: Need new headphones
Post by: Shelldrake on December 29, 2014, 07:26:45 AM
Martok, I recommend Steelseries Siberia v2 headset with mike - great sound, sensitive mike and the most comfortable headset that I have ever owned! A bit pricey but you will never need another set.

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Siberia-Full-Size-Gaming-Headset/dp/B005LUVLRU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top (http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Siberia-Full-Size-Gaming-Headset/dp/B005LUVLRU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)
Title: Re: Need new headphones
Post by: Martok on January 02, 2015, 01:13:13 PM
Ooh, nice!  It even has an adjustable volume control on the cord, which is one feature I definitely have to have.  O0 

One question about it, though:  Does the volume control go the full range?  I ask, because last week I'd purchased a set of (cheap) headphones from Best Buy, only to discover the volume control only went from "loud" to "really loud"...  >:( 

Title: Re: Need new headphones
Post by: Bison on January 02, 2015, 02:46:19 PM
I never thought I'd spend this much money on a headset, but after going through 3 sets of cheapo's over the course of about 18 months I figured I'd give a more expensive pair a go and got these about over a year ago at Best Buy.  I love them.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Gaming-Headset-Technology/dp/B00CQ35C1Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1420227874&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+headset
Title: Re: Need new headphones
Post by: W8taminute on January 02, 2015, 04:13:55 PM
Got me this for my PS4 and the clarity is amazing.  It's not cheap though but highly recommended.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fassets.razerzone.com%2Feeimages%2Fproducts%2F5890%2Frazer-blackshark-gallery-7.png&hash=c6d1bbb2172f44741fb17664f11f9d28e704b684)
Title: Re: Need new headphones
Post by: Shelldrake on January 05, 2015, 10:43:46 AM
Quote from: Martok on January 02, 2015, 01:13:13 PM
Ooh, nice!  It even has an adjustable volume control on the cord, which is one feature I definitely have to have.  O0 

One question about it, though:  Does the volume control go the full range?  I ask, because last week I'd purchased a set of (cheap) headphones from Best Buy, only to discover the volume control only went from "loud" to "really loud"...  >:(

The model I have lacks the integrated volume control so I can't answer your question.
Title: Re: Need new headphones
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 05, 2015, 11:42:05 AM
I can't recommend Skullcandy headphones - we bought a set for each of our kids last Christmas (2013) and they both lost sound in one headphone four to six months afterwards and broke completely a few weeks after that.
Title: Re: Need new headphones
Post by: Shelldrake on January 06, 2015, 08:58:05 AM
Quote from: Shelldrake on January 05, 2015, 10:43:46 AM
Quote from: Martok on January 02, 2015, 01:13:13 PM
Ooh, nice!  It even has an adjustable volume control on the cord, which is one feature I definitely have to have.  O0 

One question about it, though:  Does the volume control go the full range?  I ask, because last week I'd purchased a set of (cheap) headphones from Best Buy, only to discover the volume control only went from "loud" to "really loud"...  >:(

The model I have lacks the integrated volume control so I can't answer your question.

My bad - checked last night and my set does have an in-line volume control. Goes from dead silent to quite loud (not rock concert loud but certainly loud enough for gaming).
Title: Re: Need new headphones
Post by: Martok on January 06, 2015, 10:02:40 AM
Thanks Shelldrake!  Sounds like this is definitely one I need to take a closer look at. 




Quote from: Bison on January 02, 2015, 02:46:19 PM
I never thought I'd spend this much money on a headset, but after going through 3 sets of cheapo's over the course of about 18 months I figured I'd give a more expensive pair a go and got these about over a year ago at Best Buy.  I love them.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Gaming-Headset-Technology/dp/B00CQ35C1Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1420227874&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+headset
(Gah.  Somehow missed this post earlier...) 

Bison, do you happen to have any idea if these work with XP in addition to Win7?  (I have to ask, since my hard drive is split between the two OS's.)  If so, this is another one I need to look at getting. 

Title: Re: Need new headphones
Post by: Bison on January 06, 2015, 09:19:33 PM
I would think that yes they do work with XP, but I don't have that operating system to test it on.  The nice thing about Best Buy is they have a fairly lenient return policy, so if they didn't work you could take them back without issue I'd think. 
Title: Re: Need new headphones
Post by: Martok on January 07, 2015, 05:31:12 PM
Good to know.  I wasn't sure if they'd take back the headphones I bought, as I've not returned anything to Best Buy in the proverbial coon's age, plus I'd obviously had to open the package to try it out. 

Thanks Bison!  Time to do a little more shopping, methinks. 

Title: Re: Need new headphones
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on January 07, 2015, 11:03:45 PM
I got Sony ear buds for Christmas. The silicone is comfortable while blocking external sounds. Good sound for $10.Bonus is you can listen to  something in bed at night laying on your side.
Title: Re: Need new headphones
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 07, 2015, 11:08:09 PM
Im loving the Beats I got for Christmas.

still need a mic though.