GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Tech Talk => Topic started by: Skwerl on December 13, 2014, 04:05:29 PM

Title: Running Windows 95 Games
Post by: Skwerl on December 13, 2014, 04:05:29 PM
Does anyone know if there is an equivalent of DosBox for running Windows 95 games on a modern system?  I have some older games that run fine (I'm using Vista) but several others will not, no matter how much I tinker with the compatibility settings.
Title: Re: Running Windows 95 Games
Post by: Staggerwing on December 13, 2014, 04:52:15 PM
I could be wrong, but doesn't D-Fend (an interface program for DOSbox) also have some Win95 tweeks?
Title: Re: Running Windows 95 Games
Post by: DoctorQuest on December 13, 2014, 05:32:03 PM
Have you tried poking around at http://www.vogons.org/ ?

I thought someone over there mentioned installing win95 under dosbox......

I still run a bunch of Windows 98 games under Virtual PC 2007. Works great. VPC2007 will bitch about "unsupported OS" when you try to install it under Win 7 but click OK and it will install and run just fine.
Title: Re: Running Windows 95 Games
Post by: bbmike on December 13, 2014, 06:05:10 PM
This Digiex post (http://digiex.net/downloads/download-center-2-0/applications/1022-digiex-exclusive-premade-windows-98-virtual-machine-use-older-games.html) worked for me a while back. Haven't tried it under Windows 8.1 though.
Title: Re: Running Windows 95 Games
Post by: endfire79 on December 13, 2014, 11:26:26 PM
Hi, what game/s in particular btw?

Alternatively, you can also find an image of Windows 95 out there and then use a Virtual Machine application to run Windows 95 on your own computer.  Examples are Oracle's Virtual Box, or VMWare's  VMPlayer (both have free versions).

If possible, a WinXP image might be better, or Win 98SE.  I  :(too much .dLL hell back in the days of Windows 95
Title: Re: Running Windows 95 Games
Post by: Skwerl on December 14, 2014, 08:34:53 AM
Thanks for the help.  I'll try a couple of those solutions this afternoon. O0