GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Tech Talk => Topic started by: Gusington on December 14, 2014, 07:10:00 PM

Title: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: Gusington on December 14, 2014, 07:10:00 PM
My gaming PC is getting old...not old enough to replace entirely yet but old enough to upgrade the video card. Right now I have an NVidia GTX 670...what would you guys recommend to replace it that can fit in a three year old PC with minimal hassle? I've fallen behind on current cards and appreciate any recommendations...I prefer NVidia but am open to AMD. Thanks guys.
Title: Re: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 14, 2014, 07:17:51 PM
Radeon r9 270 is what Im using now and Im very happy with it.
its also on sale right now for $150 at tiger direct and you get 3 games with it.
Title: Re: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: Gusington on December 14, 2014, 07:19:47 PM
Do you think I would have to upgrade my power supply for that? I would consider it if it is worth it. I'm scanning Tiger Direct right now.
Title: Re: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 14, 2014, 07:21:07 PM
whats your psu now?
Title: Re: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: Gusington on December 14, 2014, 07:37:34 PM
I'll have to get back to you on that...have to open the case to see the sticker.
Title: Re: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: Bison on December 14, 2014, 08:24:16 PM
What's wrong with your gpu?  It's still a very good card.  Frankly right now you aren't going to get very good bang for your buck.  You are really only now 2 generations behind and unless you are planning on dropping $500+ you aren't getting the newest card.  I'd wait until this spring.  New graphics cards come out in the fall/winter, so you are at the high price point right now. 
Title: Re: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 14, 2014, 08:28:33 PM
I dont think he needs a $500 card.  with the card I recommended Im getting 70+ fps in WoT with everything cranked to maximum.  Im also playing Rome2 maxed out with no problem.
Title: Re: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: Bison on December 14, 2014, 08:33:19 PM
No you don't.  However you might be able to get something like a gtx 970 for $350+.  I play both of those games maxed out with a gtx 680 which is performance wise the same as Gus' card.  Unless he is have a specific issue I'm not sure why he wouldn't wait until next spring and get at least 2 generations ahead of his current card, which means he's looking at something like a gtx 780 ti, 980, or an equivalent amd card.
Title: Re: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: Gusington on December 14, 2014, 10:18:33 PM
No issues, I just traditionally upgrade my old rig's card after three years. I've done that for the last 10-12 years (2-3 rigs). I don't want to spend more than 200.00, max. Maybe I'll wait and just get a whole new rig this time next year...
Title: Re: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: Bison on December 14, 2014, 11:47:14 PM
Well you better start working on the missus now in order to prep the battlefield for next year.
Title: Re: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 15, 2014, 12:14:07 AM
the only thing I ended up keeping was the case, and thats soon to be replaced, and my newish pc makeover cost $1500 and it'll crush the nuts of all you fokkers.
Title: Re: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: MikeGER on December 15, 2014, 03:57:36 AM
GUS, i am even using a GTX 570 and its still ok.

Better save the money for an upgrade of the whole rig in a year or two
with the exception: you just have gotten a fresh game you really love to death and must see it with everyting maxed out to the limit (and then your actual CPU will probably define the new limitation anyway)

wait until the Oculus Rift get a wide spread consumer product , you will need a card that can serve that then common item well (framerate) i would not buy a new card until i knew the specification needed to drive that boy         
Title: Re: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: undercovergeek on December 15, 2014, 06:44:35 AM
I'm with bison and mike - there's nothing you'll buy for your price that's going to make any difference
Title: Re: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: Gusington on December 15, 2014, 08:38:14 AM
I feel you.

-Puts wallet away-

Going to save the money for an all around upgrade.
Title: Re: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: WallysWorld on December 15, 2014, 01:24:58 PM
I replaced my 660 Ti with a new GTX 970 to go along with my five year old i7-920. Really glad I did as now I can run almost everything at full AA and AF and all graphic options turned on. For example, Shogun 2: Total War where every graphic option is cranked right up with the 970 compared to some options turned down with the 660 Ti. Even with Il-2 1946, I get 60 fps with the 970 as compared to the 660 Ti dropping down to below 30 fps in heavy clouds with lower settings of AA and AF than I have set with the 970.

I know everyone that posted here says the upgrade from the 670 is not worth it, but I'm really glad I got the eVGA FTW GTX 970 for $430 CAD. The 9xx series really packs punch for the price. I also don't find my i7-920 bottle-necking the 970 as the processor is overclocked to 4 GHz. But of course for some CPU-bound games like CMx2, the new video card didn't make much of a difference.
Title: Re: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: endfire79 on December 15, 2014, 01:59:57 PM
Good luck Gus, hope it works out.  I personally wait a long time before updating a total rig (to benefit from deals or price cuts).  Just don't have as much spare time anymore at the moment.

My rig is from 2009/2010 tech, but my main bottleneck was the hard drive for read/writes (getting an SSD soon) and the RAM (the mobo can only take 8 GB max). I recently updated the RAM to 8 from 4GB, and that worked enough for me (although right now I'm not using high end vehicle simulation at home, otherwise I'd get a new motherboard and go the 12GB+ RAM  route).

The PSU has enough juice for what I need to throw at it at 750W

My MSI GTX460 (middle of road card is the way I go) is holding up nicely, and I would personally not spend more than $190 on my next future GPU update (I'm a cheapo).  I might change my mind if I ever start gaming on a 42" screen though.
Title: Re: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: Gusington on December 15, 2014, 03:59:40 PM
Yeah I agree...the card mentioned above at 369.00 US is too high for me.
Title: Re: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 16, 2014, 12:42:06 PM
Is it on the top shelf?
Title: Re: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: Shelldrake on December 29, 2014, 07:36:30 AM
My GTX 560 Ti/AMD X4 955 combo is still soldiering on. Sooner or later I will upgrade but for now it meets my strategy gaming needs and even manages some eye candy with shooters and flight sims.   :)
Title: Re: Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig
Post by: endfire79 on February 14, 2015, 02:08:35 PM
I went the budget route and decided to update my MSI GTX 460 with a PNY GTX 750 TI (I tend to aim for the budget cards, ).  The PNY doesn't require another 6 pin power connection from the mainboard, it takes the power straight from the PCI-E slot.  The noise rating is also quite low from what I've read.  I'll let you know how it fares once it's delivered.