GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Slick Wilhelm on January 04, 2015, 07:58:28 PM

Title: Verdun FPS
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on January 04, 2015, 07:58:28 PM
Hey guys,

I did some searching, and I see that Gus bought Verdun this summer. Has anyone else purchased it? Is it any fun?

Since I'm about as much of a WWI whore as Gus, I'm very close to purchasing. Just wanted to know if anyone has been having fun with it lately.

Thanks!
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: ArizonaTank on January 04, 2015, 08:06:48 PM
I have been in a huge WWI mode as well, so have been watching this title.  The only thing that has kept me away, was that it seemed too sparsely populated last I looked (many, many months ago).  So interested in hearing current opinions as well.
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Gusington on January 04, 2015, 08:30:59 PM
It's still sparsely populated, and unfortunately the kiddies who are there tend to be of the a-hole variety. I dropped into a game a few days ago while on vacation and watched as one jerk repeatedly insulted his squadmates. I hope some more people here get the title so we can form our own squad because so far, for me, Verdun has gone unplayed since there is no SP mode :(
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Nefaro on January 05, 2015, 09:10:31 AM
It's still in early access Alpha isn't it?
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Gusington on January 05, 2015, 09:27:18 AM
AFAIK, yes.
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: ArizonaTank on January 10, 2015, 12:17:13 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 04, 2015, 08:30:59 PM
It's still sparsely populated, and unfortunately the kiddies who are there tend to be of the a-hole variety. I dropped into a game a few days ago while on vacation and watched as one jerk repeatedly insulted his squadmates. I hope some more people here get the title so we can form our own squad because so far, for me, Verdun has gone unplayed since there is no SP mode :(

I keep waiting for devs to give us a commander game.  Verdun would be a much more fun if they did that.  Like the Napoleon mod for Mount & Blade: Warband.  The commander battles give you a bunch of drones in your unit, that you can command.   
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Philippe on January 10, 2015, 01:42:21 PM
Have they ever actually indicated that that is something they're planning on working on?
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Gusington on January 10, 2015, 03:55:35 PM
That would be quite choice, 'Tank.
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: ArizonaTank on January 11, 2015, 05:13:46 PM
Quote from: Philippe on January 10, 2015, 01:42:21 PM
Have they ever actually indicated that that is something they're planning on working on?

No, but I have been waiting for some of these low population MMOs to pick up the idea.  For example, I always thought WWII online would have been so much better with drones.  Not just any drones.  I remember that the original Red Orchestra had some brain dead ones that really took away from the game.  But games like Operation Flashpoint have really shown what is possible.
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: jomni on January 12, 2015, 12:58:10 AM
Yeah. In some ARMA multiplayer game modes, each player also commands a squad or vehicle(s)
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: endfire79 on January 24, 2017, 05:59:56 PM
I bought Verdun during the Christmas Steam sale and having a great time with it.  I see it as an alternative to Battlefield 1 (if you are annoyed about being chased non stop by M1917 tanks); plus I just don't like EA and their game utility.

The mute button works wonderfully for annoying users (mutes their console chat).

I'm on Steam (endfire79), feel free to txt me to form a squad.
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Gusington on January 24, 2017, 06:03:27 PM
^If we form a squad can I not get shot in the head within 30 seconds every time I log on?
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: endfire79 on January 24, 2017, 06:22:10 PM
You're just lucky Gus :) 

Granted the maps are not huge and I can't say I've played BF1 yet to compare (I imagine with EA's budget, BF's maps must be bigger).  Key thing is to keep low and crawl if when you can, and just find cover.
Sometimes you fall right in the point of the game where the OP literally has your team up against the wall  (balls to the wall) and you dont have much chance to 'maneuver' - probably near the end of the match unless your team has a spectacular comeback (which does happen).

Snipers will be on lookout for mg nests and those who stand out.  I try to put smoke where I can, or find cover in a shell hole and stick around (as NCO) so that my squad can spawn near me and we can move up.  I am guilty of calling arty on my own trench but there is little alternative when the OP is all over your trench like lice.  In this game, arty that you call can kill you and the enemies, but not your teammates for some reason. So if you do call it as NCO, make sure you're out of the way or in cover.

Right now I'm experimenting with the pioneer or assault squads trying the infiltration route (not packing much besides a lot of grenades and /or the flame thrower.  I can only stay 'static' for so long.
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Destraex on January 24, 2017, 07:51:40 PM
I like the game but it is still buggy although less so since the last patch which updated netcode and animations.
I can only play it in short stints because of this. But it's by far the best ww1 FPS ever.

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/382/32130932570_a1eb441428.jpg)

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/381/32130932260_872eb50178.jpg)

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/568/32357566282_15854cf925.jpg)

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/655/32357565732_fbfc59c0b3.jpg)

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/269/32357564892_767438168b.jpg)

Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Gusington on January 24, 2017, 07:53:02 PM
How do you like the pioneer class, Endfire?

I really want to get into Verdun so badly, it just won't let me. I wish the team would produce a single player campaign.
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: endfire79 on January 24, 2017, 09:06:20 PM
^ so far I find it fun to smoke up an advance on one side of the trench line and then let the demolitions and flamenwerfer specialist take out whoever's lingering around.  Hopefully we've done this while some regular infantry come in and reinforce us and then we can defend the trench against counter attack.  When this happens, it gets pretty wall to wall in there.

Trench fights in gas is surreal.  German gas masks really suck though compared to the Entente's gear (hard to see).

When BF1 price goes down a bit (and if I get a new system), I might consider checking it out.  For now, Verdun does it for me.
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: jomni on January 24, 2017, 09:23:19 PM
BF1 is not real WW1. It's Steampunk!
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: endfire79 on January 24, 2017, 09:38:22 PM
does that mean dwarves (male and female) using blimps with afterburners ? 

Gus, EA is trying to lure you in!
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Gusington on January 24, 2017, 09:47:38 PM
He says steampunk like it's a bad thing.
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: jomni on January 24, 2017, 09:59:11 PM
Quote from: endfire79 on January 24, 2017, 09:38:22 PM
does that mean dwarves (male and female) using blimps with afterburners ? 

Gus, EA is trying to lure you in!

No dwarves but it has remote controlled pigeons.
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Gusington on May 24, 2017, 01:09:51 PM
On my phone so I cannot link, but 'Tannenberg' has been annouced as a standalone Eastern Front expansion for Verdun. God I wish Verdun didn't kill me instantly every time I tried to play.
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 24, 2017, 01:20:46 PM
Single player, damn it!
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Gusington on May 24, 2017, 01:28:46 PM
I am crossing my fingers for some kinda of SP component for Tannenberg. A SP campaign would be epic!
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: IronX on September 14, 2017, 11:56:26 AM
Prepare to die in 30 seconds or less - Tannenberg announcement: http://steamcommunity.com/games/tannenberg/announcements/detail/3219368082983036939 (http://steamcommunity.com/games/tannenberg/announcements/detail/3219368082983036939)
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Gusington on September 14, 2017, 01:43:22 PM
How do you say that in Russian?
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: IronX on September 14, 2017, 02:28:44 PM
Приготовьтесь умереть через тридцать секунд или меньше. According to Google Translate. But who knows. It probably reads: "Prepare goulash with chicken spoon and glaze three times."
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Gusington on September 14, 2017, 02:36:39 PM
In Soviet Hungary goulash glaze you!
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: JasonPratt on September 14, 2017, 03:04:56 PM
In Soviet hungry ghouls gaze you!
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: IronX on September 14, 2017, 03:49:37 PM
So, to sum up:

1. In Tannenberg, you will die quickly.

2. Goulash is best prepared with a chicken spoon.

3. Preparing goulash in Post-war Hungary will likely result in you being glazed.

4. Malevolent Soviet ghosts/Patrick Swazey will look at you with hungry eyes while Eric Carmen's 1987 hit song plays in the background.

I think that succinctly summarizes this new announcement.

Carry on.
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Gusington on September 14, 2017, 07:50:48 PM
5. Still no SP component.

😥
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Destraex on September 15, 2017, 02:15:22 AM
There is a coop vs Ai mode. But no battlefield style story.
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Gusington on September 15, 2017, 08:21:49 AM
 :'(
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: IronX on November 16, 2017, 02:26:24 PM
Tannenberg (http://store.steampowered.com/app/633460/Tannenberg/) now available in EA on Steam.

Coop, but not solo gameplay.
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Destraex on November 16, 2017, 05:32:48 PM
For those that have jumped in. Is it smoother with regard to animations and hit detection than verdun.
I stopped playing verdun as you know, because I kept seeing things like and enemy soldier with an animation showing his rifle was pointed at the floor shoot me.
Many people complained of the same thing. It was like being a cowboy in a gunfight and not being able to see your opponent make his move to draw his gun. You thought you had time and then rudely you died.

I am interested to see if tannenburg has the same problems.
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on November 16, 2017, 08:08:28 PM
To be honest I've stopped playing Verdun because I think Red Orchestra 2 is so superior. And, it has hundreds of more players than Verdun has. Pity, as it does look like a promising game.
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Gusington on November 16, 2017, 08:46:53 PM
Does the Eastern Front shoot players in the head as fast as the Western Front?
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: IronX on November 16, 2017, 09:18:15 PM
Right between the eyegenballs.
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Gusington on November 17, 2017, 07:37:13 AM
Ouch. Why can there not be a SP player campaign? I beg!
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Pete Dero on November 17, 2017, 07:54:38 AM
Quote from: Gusington on November 17, 2017, 07:37:13 AM
Ouch. Why can there not be a SP player campaign? I beg!

There seems to be an offline/single player mode but it doesn't look too good.



Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: Gusington on November 17, 2017, 10:09:32 AM
 :-[
Title: Re: Verdun FPS
Post by: IronX on November 17, 2017, 01:56:35 PM
I think War of Rights (https://warofrights.com/) is more my speed, although I think it should be called Reloading Simulator 2017.