http://www.crypticcomet.com/blog/?p=1117
i know SI is well loved, almost got into a PBEM, but then never got round to playing it
posted for those guys that have and love the game
Interesting.
I knew he wasn't going to continue digital game development. I guess this route is the next logical step. Although I'm not very stoked about the basis of his first project.
I'm sorry to learn he isn't going to do any more digital games :( - I still play Armageddon Empires and Solium Infernum, and they are still a lot of fun. O0 If physical games are the way forward for him I wish him good luck, and hope he thinks again about digital games. :)
Somebody posted an interview with him awhile back where he mentions giving up the digital development. Said he is only familiar with the one code system he's been using for years and it obviously isn't up to snuff anymore. Didn't want to spend the extra time learning something new.
I also still play his games, and keep most of them installed.
I got the impression that he would get bored with developing each title before it was released and want to move on to a new muse rather quickly. Especially in his last couple. Unfortunately, that left a lot of imbalanced stuff in them so I don't think the game mechanics were tweaked as much as they probably needed. I'm pretty sure that final play-testing and tweaking stage is a huge part required for good tabletop game design so he may well end up getting impatient in the same process there. I would go nuts constantly running through the same game so much, even if it was an ideal one I had created, so I can sympathize.