http://store.steampowered.com/app/273960/?snr=1_4_4__tab-PopularNewReleases
This game has been out since yesterday and JH already has it,
but no one so far seems to have posted impressions about it, so I might as well ask.
How is it?
The Steam-reviews are rather mixed, but then again, most of them are done by little kids that only played Starcraft 2 and Dawn of War 2,
whereas this game seems to remind me of the good old Ground Control game (the first one, not the crappy sequel).
Haven't really played yet. Seems to have some neat ideas, but I'm not holding my breath. When I play, I'll post feedback.
Its not a BattleTech universe is it. It looks like it, I didn't recognize any BattleTech content.
Saw this yesterday and it looks interesting...curious to see any impressions.
Quote from: RyanE on January 10, 2015, 10:34:43 AM
Its not a BattleTech universe is it. It looks like it, I didn't recognize any BattleTech content.
Doesn't look like it. If it were, I'm pretty sure the devs would be trumpeting that fact.
I'd looked at it awhile back, but didn't give it more than a courtesy glace after I realized it's a RTS and not a TBS. I'd like to see a good TBS Battletech game.
Quote from: Bison on January 10, 2015, 11:40:14 AM
I'd like to see a good TBS Battletech game.
Hell to the yes!
Quote from: Martok on January 10, 2015, 12:19:47 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 10, 2015, 11:40:14 AM
I'd like to see a good TBS Battletech game.
Hell to the yes!
I always thought the battle academy engine would make a good fist of that ...
Nearly grabbed this yesterday. Like everyone else I'm kind of waiting for more impressions of it.
Edit: Here's a gameplay video I found, complete with heavy slavic accent. Camel 101's stuff can be a bit of a mixed bag, but this is looking interesting.
Quote from: Zulu1966 on January 10, 2015, 12:34:27 PM
Quote from: Martok on January 10, 2015, 12:19:47 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 10, 2015, 11:40:14 AM
I'd like to see a good TBS Battletech game.
Hell to the yes!
I always thought the battle academy engine would make a good fist of that ...
Yeah I think so too, but you'd be limited perhaps on the fun aspect of Battletech which is designing your mech.
Quote from: Bison on January 10, 2015, 11:40:14 AM
I'd like to see a good TBS Battletech game.
Mechwarrior Tactics was looking to be that game, but it took a nosedive off a cliff due to the owning company going bankrupt earlier this year while the game was still in beta. :'( It was pretty much the tabletop game in 3D.
Quote from: Nefaro on January 10, 2015, 02:43:30 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 10, 2015, 11:40:14 AM
I'd like to see a good TBS Battletech game.
Mechwarrior Tactics was looking to be that game, but it took a nosedive off a cliff due to the owning company going bankrupt earlier this year while the game was still in beta. :'( It was pretty much the tabletop game in 3D.
I'd actually played some of the beta and it was pretty decent.
Quote from: Nefaro on January 10, 2015, 02:43:30 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 10, 2015, 11:40:14 AM
I'd like to see a good TBS Battletech game.
Mechwarrior Tactics was looking to be that game, but it took a nosedive off a cliff due to the owning company going bankrupt earlier this year while the game was still in beta. :'( It was pretty much the tabletop game in 3D.
Yep, this really sucks. :(
Especially after how much I threw on that game.
The trailer reminded me more of Warhammer 40K. Not saying that's a bad thing!
^Yeah me too.
It is surprisingly, not that bad...I played the first mission.
The game has some pretty cool concepts. It has a wide variety of squad types and weapons which allow you to balance speed, combat power, defensive abilities, etc. There is great incentive to preserve your squads because they gain experience, level up and get new abilities, which you get to pick in the squad bay between missions. It is important to capture and secure landing zones so you can call in reinforcements and replacements.
Combat is real time, but there is a pause button that puts the game in ultra slow-motion. You can give orders to your troops in this mode. it is also important for you to use cover, attack on the flanks, get enemies caught in cross-fires or suppress them with certain types of weapons. It is also important to use the right weapons for the right targets. Finally, engineer squads can sabotage or hack structures on the field, or emplace their own defensive structures.
I like the concept of having the cruiser in orbit and being able to call down dropships when necessary. Between missions, you have access to different areas of your ship. You can look at the map of the solar system, select optional or mission essential contracts, upgrade squads and select weapons, improve your cruiser, etc.
Anyway, I do look forward to playing more. For $16, I think it is well worth it.
Thanks JH. That pushes me over the edge. Picking this up tonight.
Sounds cool...but does it feel like a more generic WH40K game?
Quote from: Gusington on January 10, 2015, 06:27:19 PM
Sounds cool...but does it feel like a more generic WH40K game?
I don't get a WH40K vibe from it at all.
Cool. For 16.00 it sounds like it may be a bargain.
Played the first mission. It's fun. In terms of tactics it's not CM or even Graviteam Tactics, but for $16 it's worth it, I think.
Quote from: Gusington on January 10, 2015, 06:27:19 PM
Sounds cool...but does it feel like a more generic WH40K game?
I didn't think there were even Mechs in the 40k universe. ???
Quote from: Martok on January 11, 2015, 11:39:35 AM
Quote from: Gusington on January 10, 2015, 06:27:19 PM
Sounds cool...but does it feel like a more generic WH40K game?
I didn't think there were even Mechs in the 40k universe. ???
Titans?
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Titan (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Titan)
Quote from: panzerde on January 11, 2015, 11:53:10 AM
Quote from: Martok on January 11, 2015, 11:39:35 AM
Quote from: Gusington on January 10, 2015, 06:27:19 PM
Sounds cool...but does it feel like a more generic WH40K game?
I didn't think there were even Mechs in the 40k universe. ???
Titans?
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Titan (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Titan)
Dreadnoughts?
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Dreadnought (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Dreadnought)
I stand corrected and enlightened. Heretofore, I'd only been aware of infantry, vehicles, and air units. :-[
Guess I might take the plunge as well :P
I won't bite til JH gets further into the campaign. TITANICUS!
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ftheshellcase.files.wordpress.com%2F2012%2F12%2Fwarlock-titans.jpg%3Fw%3D549%26amp%3Bh%3D351&hash=451aa1b649fef8380c685011e25649a231a3b631)
Just finished my second contract. Still enjoying the game. Its not the most polished game out there, but it is different and it does stand out from most other strategy games released in recent memory. The graphics and animations aren't the best, but I do like the look of the troops and weapons for the most part. I also really like the ship stations between missions. There are some nice visual and sound touches that make it pretty immersive. I'm convinced it is well worth the $16.00 price tag.
I'll say this...it is the ONLY game that has been able to pull me away from Elite: Dangerous in the last 3 weeks or so.
:o
Holy crap. That statement alone almost makes me curious enough to get it.
^I was just going to type the same thing. Hmm...
I agree with JH. It isn't the most polished game I've played, but it's fun and very playable. I enjoy the setting. There's more to the tactics of the game than the first mission leads you to believe. The cut scenes are neat, the story line, while not great is at least not stupid, and the battle cruiser base is cool. There are a lot of things to build out.
Pause and issue orders seems to be the way to play. I'm getting much better results than issuing all orders real-time. Engineers are surprisingly useful. Some reviewers have said that you can just zerg your units and there's no reason to use anything but heavies, but I'm finding that not to be the case. There's some worth to lighter squads when used right. "Right" does not include going toe-to-toe with a heavy armored support squad.
Light squads are your cavalry.
Resolve...fading...
Quote from: Gusington on January 11, 2015, 06:44:09 PM
Resolve...fading...
Yeah...there goes that New Year's resolution. :P
Quote from: panzerde on January 11, 2015, 06:38:50 PM
Engineers are surprisingly useful. Some reviewers have said that you can just zerg your units and there's no reason to use anything but heavies, but I'm finding that not to be the case. There's some worth to lighter squads when used right. "Right" does not include going toe-to-toe with a heavy armored support squad.
Light squads are your cavalry.
Not only are engineers useful, but in the first three contracts I've played, they have been mandatory. They sabotage mission essential targets in a bunch of missions. They are, however, very useful overall as they also construct defensive turrets.
I like using two or three heavy squads to advance and establish defensive perimeters, while using quicker assault and/or tactical/support squads to rush in and capture resource pumps and landing zones. So far, the strategy seems to be working. I don't think using all heavy squads is an effective strategy because not only are they slow moving, but they are far from invincible too. Balancing your force rewards the player in the end if used effectively, and that, to me, is a sign of a good game.
Mechs and Mercs: Black Talons is on sale at Humble bundle for $5. I can see from this thread that several of you have played it. Is it any good? As usual, the reviews on Steam are all over the place.
$5 you say? Hmmm...
Definitely worth $5. It's a fun little game. Never going to be a classic, but fun.
I can afford not to play it for $5.
Yep, that's pretty much the case. Even if you only do a few missions and set it aside, you probably got $5 worth of entertainment from it.
I was thinking more along the lines of buying it to add to my vast collection of totally unplayed games.
Quote from: mirth on September 15, 2015, 09:28:45 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of buying it to add to my vast collection of totally unplayed games.
Not all that many years ago, I would have never thought such a thing possible. Now I have just such a collection myself.
What's worse is that I have a growing collection of board games like that, too.
Ugh. Let's not speak of the board games :P
After hesitating for a couple of days I grabbed the game this morning since I couldn't resist playing with mechs again at a bargain price.