GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: spelk on January 12, 2015, 02:22:41 PM

Title: Space Sectors 2015 Space/Sci Fi/Fantasy Games
Post by: spelk on January 12, 2015, 02:22:41 PM
Not to miss (apparently)

http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2015/01/a-list-of-spacesci-fifantasy-games-you-can't-miss-in-2015/
Title: Re: Space Sectors 2015 Space/Sci Fi/Fantasy Games
Post by: Shelldrake on January 12, 2015, 02:42:32 PM
Quote from: spelk on January 12, 2015, 02:22:41 PM
Not to miss (apparently)

http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2015/01/a-list-of-spacesci-fifantasy-games-you-can't-miss-in-2015/

Nothing really grabbing me although the 2nd expansion for Age of Wonders 3 looks interesting.
Title: Re: Space Sectors 2015 Space/Sci Fi/Fantasy Games
Post by: Martok on January 12, 2015, 03:00:37 PM
Off that list, I'm eagerly anticipating (and will almost certainly be getting) the following titles: 

Stardrive 2
Predestination
(note: I'm a Kicsktarter backer, and will be automatically be receiving a copy once it's released)
The 2nd expansion to Age of Wonders 3


Games I'm not necessarily chomping at the bit for, but am still looking forward to: 

Worlds of Magic (I'm a Kickstarter backer; currently playing with the beta)
Limit Theory (I'm a KS backer for this one as well)
Sovereignty: Crown of Kings


Games I'm not expecting much of, but am prepared to be pleasantly surprised by: 

M.O.R.E. (again, I'm a KS backer - sigh...)
Star Ruler 2
Sorcerer King
Galactic Civilizations 3



Games I don't know much about, but am curious to hear more of/see how they turn out: 

Stars in Shadow
Deep Space Settlement


Title: Re: Space Sectors 2015 Space/Sci Fi/Fantasy Games
Post by: Anguille on January 12, 2015, 03:15:09 PM
I am also looking for shallow space...not sure if it's going to be released in 2015 though
Title: Re: Space Sectors 2015 Space/Sci Fi/Fantasy Games
Post by: Martok on January 12, 2015, 03:19:32 PM
I don't know if it'll be out this year, but Lord of Rigel is another space 4x title that looks like it might be worth keeping an eye on. 

http://www.lordofrigel.com/

Title: Re: Space Sectors 2015 Space/Sci Fi/Fantasy Games
Post by: FlickJax on January 12, 2015, 04:37:33 PM
Chaos for me cant wait....
Title: Re: Space Sectors 2015 Space/Sci Fi/Fantasy Games
Post by: Anguille on January 12, 2015, 04:49:06 PM
Quote from: Martok on January 12, 2015, 03:19:32 PM
I don't know if it'll be out this year, but Lord of Rigel is another space 4x title that looks like it might be worth keeping an eye on. 

http://www.lordofrigel.com/

I like the artwork...nice!
Title: Re: Space Sectors 2015 Space/Sci Fi/Fantasy Games
Post by: panzerde on January 12, 2015, 06:13:54 PM
Interested in a few of these, but the game I'm really waiting for is The Mandate. Because Czarists in Space.  :smitten:

As mentioned in the comments though it isn't clear that there'll be anything playable yet this year.
Title: Re: Space Sectors 2015 Space/Sci Fi/Fantasy Games
Post by: Nefaro on January 12, 2015, 06:22:14 PM
I've ogled Satellite Reign since it's an upcoming cyberpunk-ish game inspired by the old Syndicate.  But when it first came up on Steam, it was pretty much pre-alpha and I don't think it's changed much since.

Definitely want more AOW3 expansions.


My most anticipated 4X is probably That Which Sleeps although I'm not sure when that will show up.  One of the few things I've Kickstarted.  Can't resist playing as a GOO attempting to break through and conquer.   >:D  We wannts it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingdinosaurgames/that-which-sleeps
Title: Re: Space Sectors 2015 Space/Sci Fi/Fantasy Games
Post by: RooksBailey on January 12, 2015, 09:31:46 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 12, 2015, 06:22:14 PM
I've ogled Satellite Reign since it's an upcoming cyberpunk-ish game inspired by the old Syndicate.  But when it first came up on Steam, it was pretty much pre-alpha and I don't think it's changed much since.

Satellite Reign also in on the top of my list.   I remember when the game was announced but haven't checked on it because I know how long these things take these days.   :)  But based on this vid, it looks pretty darn impressive!



I am loving cyberpunk.  This genre is to me now what WWIII games were to me in the '80s.  They just seem really, really relevant now.  8)

What happened to Invisible Inc.?  That should have been on the list, too.  It is also at the top of my 2015 list.  I just wish it had more of a cyberpunk look.  The art reminds me more of a Spy vs Spy game than a cyberpunk game.  :)
Title: Re: Space Sectors 2015 Space/Sci Fi/Fantasy Games
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 12, 2015, 09:45:28 PM
Id play Stars in Shadow.  one of the devs used to be heavy into Homeworld modding and his artwork is excellent as proven by his webtoon Outsiders:  http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider101.html
Title: Re: Space Sectors 2015 Space/Sci Fi/Fantasy Games
Post by: Bison on January 12, 2015, 09:46:58 PM
Martok I cannot believe you are dissing Gal Civ 3, but are embracing Stardrive 2. 
Title: Re: Space Sectors 2015 Space/Sci Fi/Fantasy Games
Post by: panzerde on January 12, 2015, 09:51:01 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 12, 2015, 09:45:28 PM
Id play Stars in Shadow.  one of the devs used to be heavy into Homeworld modding and his artwork is excellent as proven by his webtoon Outsiders:  http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider101.html (http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider101.html)

Thanks, added to my list of web comics to read...

The game art looks quite nice.
Title: Re: Space Sectors 2015 Space/Sci Fi/Fantasy Games
Post by: Martok on January 13, 2015, 04:45:25 AM
Quote from: Bison on January 12, 2015, 09:46:58 PM
Martok I cannot believe you are dissing Gal Civ 3, but are embracing Stardrive 2.
GalCiv3 appears to be too much like its predecessor, too much "more of the same" -- the various improvements, while welcome, are mostly incremental in my eyes and in no way different or ground-breaking.  In addition, Stardock had stated for years that when they got around to making the next GalCiv title, they were going to add tactical combat -- a feature long-sought by many players (including myself) -- only to have them implement this weak-sauce modified viewer thing instead.  :(  This has been a huge letdown for me. 

In short, my level of disappointment for GC3 (once its details were revealed) was profound enough that my anticipation for it simply vanished.  The videos I've watched on YouTube (of the recorded streams) have done little to sway my opinion either; they're mildly interesting, but I've seen almost nothing to make me genuinely excited.  (The way he's doing AI this time around is the one bright spot, but that alone isn't enough to get me on board.) 



In contrast, Stardrive II is going the Total War route of combining turn-based empire management with real-time battles, which is my preferred type of strategy game.  (At least on paper -- Armada 2526, for example, does the former very well, but the latter not so much.)  He's also fleshed out the "exploration" phase to a much greater extent this time around (he's adding a lot more content, including space monsters and interesting random events), which as a 4x gamer is something I especially appreciate. 

While the first Stardrive game was undeniably far from a home run, it did do at least a few things well -- ship design was interesting, combat was fun, and the AI could be brutal.  Moreover, I think Dan learned a lot from making the first game (including some hard lessons about over-promising/under-delivering) -- enough so, that I'm confident in his ability to turn out a solid, and even much-improved, sequel.  The videos I've seen have thus far borne out my belief; I honestly think Stardrive II is going to be very good. 

Title: Re: Space Sectors 2015 Space/Sci Fi/Fantasy Games
Post by: Anguille on January 13, 2015, 11:19:37 AM
Quote from: Martok on January 13, 2015, 04:45:25 AM
Quote from: Bison on January 12, 2015, 09:46:58 PM
Martok I cannot believe you are dissing Gal Civ 3, but are embracing Stardrive 2.
GalCiv3 appears to be too much like its predecessor, too much "more of the same" -- the various improvements, while welcome, are mostly incremental in my eyes and in no way different or ground-breaking.  In addition, Stardock had stated for years that when they got around to making the next GalCiv title, they were going to add tactical combat -- a feature long-sought by many players (including myself) -- only to have them implement this weak-sauce modified viewer thing instead.  :(  This has been a huge letdown for me. 

In short, my level of disappointment for GC3 (once its details were revealed) was profound enough that my anticipation for it simply vanished.  The videos I've watched on YouTube (of the recorded streams) have done little to sway my opinion either; they're mildly interesting, but I've seen almost nothing to make me genuinely excited.  (The way he's doing AI this time around is the one bright spot, but that alone isn't enough to get me on board.) 



In contrast, Stardrive II is going the Total War route of combining turn-based empire management with real-time battles, which is my preferred type of strategy game.  (At least on paper -- Armada 2526, for example, does the former very well, but the latter not so much.)  He's also fleshed out the "exploration" phase to a much greater extent this time around (he's adding a lot more content, including space monsters and interesting random events), which as a 4x gamer is something I especially appreciate. 

While the first Stardrive game was undeniably far from a home run, it did do at least a few things well -- ship design was interesting, combat was fun, and the AI could be brutal.  Moreover, I think Dan learned a lot from making the first game (including some hard lessons about over-promising/under-delivering) -- enough so, that I'm confident in his ability to turn out a solid, and even much-improved, sequel.  The videos I've seen have thus far borne out my belief; I honestly think Stardrive II is going to be very good.

I am with Martok here....same reasons.  O0
Title: Re: Space Sectors 2015 Space/Sci Fi/Fantasy Games
Post by: Nefaro on January 13, 2015, 04:39:19 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on January 12, 2015, 09:31:46 PM


What happened to Invisible Inc.?  That should have been on the list, too.  It is also at the top of my 2015 list.  I just wish it had more of a cyberpunk look.  The art reminds me more of a Spy vs Spy game than a cyberpunk game.  :)

I've greatly enjoyed Invisible, Inc's turn-based stealth gameplay and procedural generation.  I'd call it a fancy looking stealth roguelike.  Trying to avoid playing it too much before it's done because the developers keep regularly adding some stuff, being in early access.  Supposed to be done in the next few months IIRC.