GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: spelk on January 12, 2015, 02:27:02 PM

Title: War, The Game
Post by: spelk on January 12, 2015, 02:27:02 PM
Released on Steam today

http://www.warthegame.net/
Title: Re: War, The Game
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 12, 2015, 02:37:34 PM
Quote from: spelk on January 12, 2015, 02:27:02 PM
Released on Steam today

http://www.warthegame.net/

Like the look, but seems WAY too basic/simplistic for me.
Title: Re: War, The Game
Post by: spelk on January 12, 2015, 03:03:04 PM
I got it, I'm sure I've played a free version of this somewhere, sometime before.

The units have the same strength, regardless of unit type.. which is odd. Its about movement and the timing of it. From the few missions I've played.

Not sure its a winner, till I play a bit more. But it is VERY simplistic to begin with.
Title: Re: War, The Game
Post by: sandman2575 on January 12, 2015, 03:20:58 PM
Quote from: spelk on January 12, 2015, 03:03:04 PM
The units have the same strength, regardless of unit type.. which is odd.

:idiot2:

Why not just use the "Risk" system of roman numerals for all army units?  "War, The Game" sounds about as complex as Risk, except with a fancy round globe (which admittedly does look cool, but this game sounds fatally superficial).

Pass.
Title: Re: War, The Game
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 12, 2015, 04:02:13 PM
Odd thing is, I think the developer is one of the main guys behind the Grand Theft Auto series.
Title: Re: War, The Game
Post by: tgb on January 12, 2015, 04:50:15 PM
Seems about as deep as the card game of the same name.  Pass.
Title: Re: War, The Game
Post by: RooksBailey on January 12, 2015, 04:53:07 PM
It looked interesting at first but as I watched a LP vid I found I was bored rather quickly.  I was hoping for a DEFCON-like experience but even by that game's simplistic mechanics this game seems like a snooze fest.  I also was disappointed by the portrayal of combat.  I mean, I love the recee satellite look of the game, but I was disappointed to see the game ignore that look when it came to combat.  I don't mind icons for when you zoom out, but the game should have used a more stylistic depiction of battle when you zoom in, such as showing flashes on the ground, drifting smoke etc. 

Well, maybe the dev will continue to iterate on this.  Add better visuals more in keeping with the satellite look, and add some nuclear war options  8) and this game could shine one day.