GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: bayonetbrant on January 15, 2015, 02:59:09 PM

Title: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on January 15, 2015, 02:59:09 PM
14 years ago today, Wikipedia went live.

5 years ago today, the Miracle on the Hudson



neither one of which really make me feel all that old, but hey...
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 15, 2015, 03:00:31 PM
2015 and Im still younger then Windy and Bawb.   O0
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on January 15, 2015, 03:01:40 PM
24 years ago Monday, though, Congress authorized the Use of Force to kick Iraq out of Kuwait...
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on January 15, 2015, 03:20:10 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 15, 2015, 03:01:40 PM
24 years ago Monday, though, Congress authorized the Use of Force to kick Iraq out of Kuwait...

Hmmm... Jan '91, I was a student at UMaine. One of my better semesters as I recall.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Greybriar on January 15, 2015, 05:25:33 PM
On 15 January 1973, President Nixon suspended all U.S. offensive action in North Vietnam. 42 years ago!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on January 15, 2015, 07:01:02 PM
Super Bowl I...48 years ago today.  And it was called something like, "The AFL-NFL Championship Game."  30,000 empty seats at the Coliseum in L.A. and tickets were ten bucks.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on January 15, 2015, 07:09:23 PM
In January '91 I remember all of my high school buddies and I thinking it was the start of WWIII as Iraq shelled Israel, and we weren't sure what the Russians were going to do. My Grandfather was in the hospital for something or other and I remember him bitching at me "I went to Hell and back [in WWII] and now they're going to start this crap all over again."

If he were alive today he'd be 100 this year and probably flip his lid over the state of the world :/
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on January 15, 2015, 07:12:39 PM
I was perfect draft fodder in January '91.  I was VERY worried they were going to institute it.  Glad they didn't.  I would have made a terrible soldier.  It's why I didn't join out of high school.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on January 15, 2015, 07:20:43 PM
^I wasn't old enough yet :)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 16, 2015, 08:08:20 AM
Ha...we were ALL talking about how this would blow up into a big conflict. I even considered joining "before I got drafted." My grandfather was very pleased with this kind of talk. He was VERY disappointed when I joined nothing.

I had high school friends in the 101st that went over there and into Iraq. I remember how hard it was to wrap my mind around that.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Martok on January 22, 2015, 01:49:55 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 15, 2015, 03:20:10 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 15, 2015, 03:01:40 PM
24 years ago Monday, though, Congress authorized the Use of Force to kick Iraq out of Kuwait...

Hmmm... Jan '91, I was a student at UMaine. One of my better semesters as I recall.
In January 1991, I was excited to finally be growing whiskers.  ;D 

Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 22, 2015, 01:54:54 PM
Green day has been around for almost 30 years.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on January 22, 2015, 02:54:46 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 22, 2015, 01:54:54 PM
Green day has been around for almost 30 years.

you say that like it's a good thing
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bob48 on January 22, 2015, 04:17:42 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 15, 2015, 03:00:31 PM
2015 and Im still younger then Windy and Bawb.   O0

But still not as good looking as either of us.........
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Barthheart on January 23, 2015, 08:54:09 AM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimgs.xkcd.com%2Fcomics%2Fstar_wars.png&hash=1e7fbdb52ee0765c6d8fff120c1743bd940fd4a7)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Shelldrake on January 23, 2015, 09:11:56 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 15, 2015, 07:12:39 PM
I was perfect draft fodder in January '91.  I was VERY worried they were going to institute it.  Glad they didn't.  I would have made a terrible soldier.  It's why I didn't join out of high school.

In January 1979 the Soviet army had just deployed into Afghanistan. My worry was that the Cold War was going to go hot and that my militia unit (2RCA) would be in the thick of things. Scary thing is it doesn't seem that long ago!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on January 23, 2015, 10:03:22 AM
Sheeeeesh...  30-year-olds at work describing Mighty Mouse as "possibly before my time"
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 23, 2015, 10:07:17 AM
Do young people today have any love for Looney Tunes cartoons?

If the answer is 'no,' I'm going to die a little inside.  :'(
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on January 23, 2015, 10:11:38 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 23, 2015, 10:07:17 AMDo young people today have any love for Looney Tunes cartoons?

First of all, you're using "young people" in this context to describe 30-year-olds.  That's only one of your many, many problems

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 23, 2015, 10:07:17 AMIf the answer is 'no,' I'm going to die a little inside.  :'(

The biggest question is when/how they would ever see them.  They're not on all that often anymore, which is just disappointing.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 23, 2015, 10:17:08 AM
Okay. Younger. :P

They're easily enough found. DailyMotion has a lot of them. YouTube tends to have some though not all.

http://dai.ly/x1z3hfy

Sigh...you may be correct. There's no one-stop shop. I pity the youngER generation.

Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on January 23, 2015, 10:34:49 AM
I just want to see the classic WWII episodes with the Japanese characatures.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: LongBlade on January 23, 2015, 11:11:28 AM
Quote from: Shelldrake on January 23, 2015, 09:11:56 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 15, 2015, 07:12:39 PM
I was perfect draft fodder in January '91.  I was VERY worried they were going to institute it.  Glad they didn't.  I would have made a terrible soldier.  It's why I didn't join out of high school.

In January 1979 the Soviet army had just deployed into Afghanistan. My worry was that the Cold War was going to go hot and that my militia unit (2RCA) would be in the thick of things. Scary thing is it doesn't seem that long ago!

I was in high school and the invasion of Afghanistan wrecked my Model UN plans. The theme for that year was human rights abuses. I persuaded my sponsor to let me represent El Salvador and was looking forward to rationalizing my country's behavior in the face of ruthless - and far worse - Communist rebels.

Then the Soviets invaded and everthing changed. Suddenly El Salvador was a tiny banana republic nobody cared about.

But one of the guys from a rival school - who was on a rival debate team and I knew - dressed up in a quasi Russian officer's uniform and absolutely stole the show. I really admired his panache.

Sorry, that's nothing like getting your wits scared out of you in a military unit, but that was my life in 1979.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on January 23, 2015, 12:12:02 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 23, 2015, 10:07:17 AM
Do young people today have any love for Looney Tunes cartoons?

If the answer is 'no,' I'm going to die a little inside.  :'(

I introduced my kids to Looney Tunes and they loved them.

This is one of our all-time favorites


Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on January 23, 2015, 08:12:24 PM
My cousin and I watched this on continual loop one Christmas season at work.  Oooda lolly!


Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: besilarius on January 23, 2015, 11:18:53 PM
Chuck Jones in his autobiography tells the story that the animators were brainstorming, trying to think of a good idea for a cartoon.
One of the studio managers came in and got huffy that they were sitting around.  When told they needed a funny idea, he said that whatever they did, bullfights weren't funny.  Don't waste any time thinking about bullfights.
Well, of course you know, this meant war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GA16OY6NQ8
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on January 24, 2015, 12:57:35 AM
An appropriately themed Bugs Bunny


Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on January 24, 2015, 05:33:44 PM
^Except for the overcoat and draft that is exactly like my experience with the NY Guard.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: LongBlade on January 25, 2015, 08:47:46 AM
Quote from: Gusington on January 24, 2015, 05:33:44 PM
^Except for the overcoat and draft that is exactly like my experience with the NY Guard.

Just think - in 30 years you can retire!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on January 25, 2015, 10:39:55 AM
HA
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Toonces on January 25, 2015, 01:49:31 PM
I was explaining to my kids the other day that when I was a kid the only time we could watch cartoons was on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

And El Salvador has some very good surf.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 26, 2015, 08:19:26 AM
Quote from: Toonces on January 25, 2015, 01:49:31 PM
I was explaining to my kids the other day that when I was a kid the only time we could watch cartoons was on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Yeah! And even then, once 1100 rolled around, it turned to live action crap like Shazam and Isis and Soul Train and local dance party nonsense.

Sunday mornings where I lived didn't have cartoons, though, just religious nutjob programming. I always listed to the radio instead.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 26, 2015, 09:13:24 AM
My son turns 16 today. I don't quite know how to handle that. I always thought he'd be 'my kid' even though he's pretty introverted. I have a REALLY hard time thinking he's going to go off to college in two years. Oh, I imagine he'll be staying with us for at least a few years after high school. But it's difficult to accept. Just the very fact that he's taking online driving training and will be behind the wheel of a car soon enough...it's not that another kid is in the world driving, but that my son, whom I always thought of as a baby or a boy that needs help with everything, is soon enough not going to need that.

My daughter turns 14 two weeks from today. She's 'my baby girl.' But she's grown up fast enough herself and I know she'll be hot on my son's heels.

Not that I'm feeling old, necessarily...just helpless.  :-\
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on January 26, 2015, 09:17:50 AM
Hug?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Shelldrake on January 26, 2015, 09:30:26 AM
Quote from: Gusington on January 26, 2015, 09:17:50 AM
Hug?

+1
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Ubercat on January 26, 2015, 10:22:43 AM
That sucks, I'm sorry.

Remember Tony Sopranos mother? My MiL is that nasty with her own daughter, just in a vastly more passive aggressive way. Good thing that she doesn't have the connections or money to order a hit.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 26, 2015, 10:33:02 AM
Thanks.

It does suck but I keep vacillating from the pity party to manning up and getting over it because this kind of shit I'm sure most of you have gone through/are going through and it's nothing different or new.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: LongBlade on January 26, 2015, 11:55:34 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 26, 2015, 10:33:02 AM
Thanks.

It does suck but I keep vacillating from the pity party to manning up and getting over it because this kind of shit I'm sure most of you have gone through/are going through and it's nothing different or new.

I come from the Deal With It school.

You grew up and turned out alright. So did the rest of us. It's weird seeing our kids go from babies to adults, but the trick is to get them there with a reasonable set of good values, alive, and healthy. If you've managed to do that you're doing pretty well. The rest is just background noise.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on January 26, 2015, 08:03:03 PM
+1

My situation was a bit different.  When I got married, my wife had two kids, age 13 and 10.  My own was just 5 at the time.  So, I watched my step children hit the milestone ages first.  And while it was less intense, because as much as I loved them, they came to me already as people.  Even having that experience, it was difficult when mine hit 16.  Dating and driving and jobs and always out with friends, etc.  But, the kid has a good head on her shoulders.  And knows dad will be there when she calls :)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Martok on January 27, 2015, 07:12:36 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 23, 2015, 10:07:17 AM
Do young people today have any love for Looney Tunes cartoons?

If the answer is 'no,' I'm going to die a little inside.  :'(
For most of my friends with kids, Looney Tunes is practically required watching for their children.  Fortunately, the children in question rarely have to coerced after the first time.  ;) 

Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on March 22, 2015, 12:20:43 PM
Friday marked 5 years since the BSG final episode.

Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Martok on March 22, 2015, 02:50:18 PM
...Which I still haven't watched.  :-[ 
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on March 22, 2015, 02:51:10 PM
Sad.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bbmike on March 22, 2015, 03:05:52 PM
Quote from: Martok on March 22, 2015, 02:50:18 PM
...Which I still haven't watched.  :-[

I watched parts 1 and 2 of the intro 2004 movie last night with my wife. We both watched it a while back but didn't continue on with the series. We decided to watch episode one last night but I didn't realize the DVD called the 2004 movie episode one. We ended up watching it over again anyway and we both still loved it. Now she's demanding we watch the entire series.  O0
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on March 22, 2015, 03:07:02 PM
You have a good woman there.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Cyrano on March 22, 2015, 05:32:23 PM
It would seem that I'm older than most of y'all, but my son's only 6...nearing 7...I waited a while for the whole kid thing and married, erm, younger...

At Historicon two years ago there was this guy running a WWII Normandy game using 54mm soldiers.  All his vehicles and terrain were to that massive scale.  It was just as cool as it sounds.  I got invited to the game by his son with whom I hit it off in another game where he, I, and one or two others damn near cold-cocked some grey-haired dimwit who was ruining an otherwise perfectly good "Force on Force" session with his incessant rules lawyering, "oh, I wouldn't do that" talk, and general obnoxiousness.  He told me he and his dad had built this real cool set-up over the past four years and this was their last dad-and-son time before he headed off to college in the Fall.  I played the game -- truly cool, if the rules were a bit wonky -- and went out for a beer with the dad and some of the other older guys after I helped them pack it all up and put it away.

I'll never forget it.  You could see how emotionally difficult it was for the father to even look at this terrain set-up (measuring as it did, oh, 25 X 8) and realize that completing it was near synonymous with saying goodbye.

Cruel thing, time...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on March 22, 2015, 06:09:17 PM
How old are you?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 22, 2015, 06:44:50 PM
Quote from: Martok on March 22, 2015, 02:50:18 PM
...Which I still haven't watched.  :-[

Don't do it.  Watch seasons 1 and 2 and burn anything with season 3 or 4 written on it.  They're absolute shit.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Cyrano on March 22, 2015, 07:20:01 PM
49 this year September...

Then again, I suppose it's one of the reasons I go to Historicon because I get to be the kid in the room :D.

Jim
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on March 22, 2015, 07:34:11 PM
Meh 49 aint old. I'm going to be 41 this year!!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on March 22, 2015, 07:56:16 PM
Wanna trade?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on March 22, 2015, 08:54:08 PM
40-41 have been rough with eye issues, cancer and cancer scares, and dead dogs. So...maybe. What do you offer in trade?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on March 22, 2015, 09:04:48 PM
I won't make light of the things you mentioned.

I will say though that, for health reasons alone, the trade would not be fair.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on March 23, 2015, 07:08:44 AM
Mid-life crisis time.

Though I've been going through that since 20. Life's short and you never know when it's gonna take a right turn into a tree. Probably why I still have the same sick sense of humor and outlook I've had since my younger years.

I'm 45, but my wife turns 50 next week. We're going to be on a cruise with some friends to celebrate, but I don't think she's much in the mood to celebrate this milestone. I don't think I would be, either, just because I sure as hell don't feel or act my age.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Barthheart on March 23, 2015, 07:25:46 AM
BAH! Embrace yer age. You only as old as you feel. I'll be 50 this Wednesday.  :)
I'm celebrating the fact I made it this far. 1/2 way point I figure. It's just a number. There will be much beer drinking this weekend with my friends of 30+ years.

My wife, on the other hand, was not so happy when her 50th came up last year... I had to plan an expensive weekend away just so she wouldn't take off and hide on me.  ;D
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on March 23, 2015, 07:53:48 AM
I like Bart's outlook the best.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 23, 2015, 09:30:27 AM
no matter how old we may be we'll always be younger then Windy.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on March 23, 2015, 09:46:50 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 23, 2015, 09:30:27 AM
no matter how old we may be we'll always be younger then Windy.

Cold comfort.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on March 23, 2015, 10:04:24 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 23, 2015, 09:30:27 AM
no matter how old we may be we'll always be younger then Windy.

you're setting a pretty low bar to clear there...
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bob48 on March 23, 2015, 10:30:19 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on March 23, 2015, 07:25:46 AM
BAH! Embrace yer age. You only as old as you feel. I'll be 50 this Wednesday.  :)
I'm celebrating the fact I made it this far. 1/2 way point I figure. It's just a number. There will be much beer drinking this weekend with my friends of 30+ years.

My wife, on the other hand, was not so happy when her 50th came up last year... I had to plan an expensive weekend away just so she wouldn't take off and hide on me.  ;D

Hope you have an excellent time!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 23, 2015, 11:25:17 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 23, 2015, 10:04:24 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 23, 2015, 09:30:27 AM
no matter how old we may be we'll always be younger then Windy.

you're setting a pretty low bar to clear there...

have you met us?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Martok on March 23, 2015, 12:38:26 PM
Cyrano, I believe you're actually solidly in the middle of the pack, age-wise.  Unless my memory has gone completely kaput, the vast majority of us are in our 40's & 50's, with a small (but still significant) percentage in their 60's.  I'm one of the youngest guys here, and I'm 38.  :P 




Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 22, 2015, 06:44:50 PM
Quote from: Martok on March 22, 2015, 02:50:18 PM
...Which I still haven't watched.  :-[

Don't do it.  Watch seasons 1 and 2 and burn anything with season 3 or 4 written on it.  They're absolute shit.
Actually, I've watched all the way through the first half of season 4, and have enjoyed most of it.  So now I gotta sit down and grab 4.5, if only for completion's sake (I want to see the ending -- good or bad)! 

Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Airborne Rifles on March 23, 2015, 04:22:23 PM
I liked the ending, as well as seasons 3 and 4. But I'm 31, probably haven't had the (very, very long) amount of time the rest of you have to develop an appreciation for culture    ;).
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on March 23, 2015, 04:30:23 PM
The show was uneven during it's entire run. When it was 'on' it was brilliant, some of the best television ever made. When it missed, it was dumb, but generally still better than most shows.

I just rewatched Razor this weekend. That was solid.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 23, 2015, 04:53:00 PM
The show us awesome but it suffered from an industry wide writers strike.  I felt the ending was meh. Its,still my favorite sci fi series.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on March 23, 2015, 05:04:11 PM
Don't get me wrong, it's Top Ten all-time for sci-fi shows. Maybe top 5, but it was uneven. Much like Star Trek TOS and ST:TNG were uneven.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 23, 2015, 11:07:35 PM
Seasons 1 and 2 were epic.  Definitely amongst the best sci-fi ever produced.  Season 3 suffered from the writers' strike, the series seemed to lose its drive and much of the tension as it devolved into the Cylon-of-the-week.  Season 4 started badly and ended with one of the worst series finales of all time.  Season 4 made Phantom Menace look like ESB in comparison.   
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on March 24, 2015, 05:39:42 AM
Season 1 was the best of them all. Season 2 I really didn't like (and I'm probably in the minority on that one), but to echo Mirth, even a bad season of BG is light years better than normal TV crapola.

S2 turned me off of the series and it took years before I went back to it and got through the entire thing. The ride was entertaining through the rest of it but it just was not satisfying at all.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on March 24, 2015, 06:54:37 AM
Is there a BSG box set?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on March 24, 2015, 07:07:28 AM
si, señor.  I've got it on my shelf right next to Firefly (which is still in the shrink-wrap)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on March 25, 2015, 06:36:52 AM
Hmm I think I want this. No not that. This.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on April 05, 2015, 09:15:23 AM
10 years of New Who. Where has the time gone?



Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on July 01, 2015, 10:07:03 AM
Debbie Harry (of Blondie) is 70 years old today.  :-\

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.liketotally80s.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F07%2Fdebbie-harry-costume-450px.jpg&hash=567cc9612ca2361445635d3f38de321222573d8a)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on July 01, 2015, 10:11:44 AM
 :o
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 01, 2015, 10:13:51 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 01, 2015, 10:07:03 AMDebbie Harry (of Blondie) is 70 years old today.  :-\

fuck you
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
for pointing that out
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on July 01, 2015, 10:18:57 AM
Opie and Jimmy just pointed it out, so I thought I'd share the joy of THAT realization.  8)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bbmike on July 01, 2015, 11:42:03 AM
I always thought she was 70 already in the 80's.  ::)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on July 01, 2015, 12:08:57 PM
Quote from: bbmike on July 01, 2015, 11:42:03 AM
I always thought she was 70 already in the 80's.  ::)

Don't be hating on Debbie Harry!  :knuppel2:
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on July 01, 2015, 12:31:14 PM
I'm with bbmike.  Debbie Harry always looked old and used up to me. :P
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on July 01, 2015, 01:04:14 PM
I wasn't a huge Blondie fan back in the 80s (and I love pretty much all 80s music), but she did have a few good tunes. Apparently she's still touring and rocking it, so more power to her. Although, Debbie Harry looked like a grandma back in the 80s. Now, she looks like an ancient redwood.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on July 01, 2015, 01:32:17 PM
You guys are harsh.

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/gallery/2015/jul/01/debbie-harry-at-70-in-pictures

She looks a hell of a lot better than Keith Richards :P
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on July 01, 2015, 01:38:01 PM
Tutankhamun looks better than Keith Richards.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 01, 2015, 01:42:00 PM
Keith Richards is actually in town here tonight, along with the rest of the Stones. They're playing Carter-Finley tonight
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Martok on July 01, 2015, 01:59:54 PM
You have my sympathies, Brant.  For your sake, I hope you're well out of earshot. 

Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Cyrano on July 01, 2015, 02:38:30 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FyPJI01g.jpg%3F1&hash=86a7d5c27765f5d37c891cc7a08a7079948453b2)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Emeraldlis on July 01, 2015, 02:55:39 PM
I liked Debbie Harry's tune "heart of glass" and I'm 37 .....so a good tune is a good tune ...timeless ..ageless and classy  O:-)

I don't mind getting older , it's the ageing part that sucks !! And blokes age much , much better than most women , so I don't know what ya'll are complaining about  ;D.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bob48 on July 01, 2015, 03:04:57 PM
Aye, 'Heart of Glass' is a good tune, agree with you there.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Greybriar on July 01, 2015, 06:37:32 PM
For those of you who put down Debbie Harry:

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi60.tinypic.com%2Ft828eu.jpg&hash=94f62ebbb2585e9ebda335542ef73099fbc29197)

You know who you are.  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Emeraldlis on July 01, 2015, 06:42:57 PM
Quote from: bob48 on July 01, 2015, 03:04:57 PM
Aye, 'Heart of Glass' is a good tune, agree with you there.

Glad you agree with me bob  O0 I notice you're from Newcastle , a good place to spring from . My grandma was from that neck of the woods , a place called consett near Durham :) I like to think I have some "jordie" blood flowing through my veins , "way aye man " and alla that cool jargon you guys speak !!  :)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on July 01, 2015, 07:06:29 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on July 01, 2015, 06:37:32 PM
For those of you who put down Debbie Harry:

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi60.tinypic.com%2Ft828eu.jpg&hash=94f62ebbb2585e9ebda335542ef73099fbc29197)

You know who you are.  :coolsmiley:

LOL

I almost posted that pic instead of her glamorous 80s shot.  8)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on July 01, 2015, 07:47:34 PM
I was going to say that I'd still do her, but after that above picture...not so much.

But I still love her and like Blondie.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bob48 on July 02, 2015, 06:23:32 AM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on July 01, 2015, 06:42:57 PM
Quote from: bob48 on July 01, 2015, 03:04:57 PM
Aye, 'Heart of Glass' is a good tune, agree with you there.

Glad you agree with me bob  O0 I notice you're from Newcastle , a good place to spring from . My grandma was from that neck of the woods , a place called consett near Durham :) I like to think I have some "jordie" blood flowing through my veins , "way aye man " and alla that cool jargon you guys speak !!  :)

I'm actually a Brummie, but have lived in Newcastle for the last 38 years. And I know Consett very well.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Emeraldlis on July 02, 2015, 01:26:42 PM
So you're from the Black Country eh ? I have a couple of great friends from that area , you all have a great sense of humour from Birmingham :)

I think you could be an honourary " jordie " now though after 38 years ! It's awesome that you know consett , some of my grandmas family still live their , although I've only ever been a couple of times , lovely area though :)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bob48 on July 02, 2015, 03:15:28 PM
Ouch! Don't call a person from the Black Country a Brummie or vice versa, or they'll give you an ear-full. Its a common mistake, but they are different.

And yes, I'm a Geordie-Brummie.

Whey aye, man.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Emeraldlis on July 02, 2015, 03:44:52 PM
Oops sorry Bob , I'll just take my foot out of my mouth and apologize for my faux-pas  :uglystupid2:

I won't make that mistake again !!

"Fog on the Tyne is all mine all mine " and alla that good "jordie stuff"  :smitten:
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bob48 on July 02, 2015, 03:49:56 PM
^ROFL  ;D
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on July 03, 2015, 05:46:00 PM
Be careful with that rolling about the floor bit, bob.  You know it's unlikely you'll get back up ;)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on July 03, 2015, 10:21:40 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 03, 2015, 05:46:00 PM
Be careful with that rolling about the floor bit, bob.  You know it's unlikely you'll get back up ;)

That's what the garage door opener-like thing hanging around his neck is for. He pushes the the button and a nice ambulance crew shows up to take his vitals and then they open the jar of pickled herring he was struggling with. Or was it mushy peas?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 04, 2015, 12:07:40 AM
It was the vinegar pack on the fish and chips!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bob48 on July 04, 2015, 05:52:59 AM
^Yeah, that was it. Biggs got it in one. O0

MD - Duck Hat.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on July 04, 2015, 08:57:50 AM
I love you, too, bob.  :P
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: airboy on July 06, 2015, 08:28:20 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 01, 2015, 10:07:03 AM
Debbie Harry (of Blondie) is 70 years old today.  :-\

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.liketotally80s.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F07%2Fdebbie-harry-costume-450px.jpg&hash=567cc9612ca2361445635d3f38de321222573d8a)

She was quite a bit older than her band mates.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on July 23, 2015, 07:48:44 PM
30th anniversary of the Amiga



http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/the-amiga-turns-30-nobody-had-ever-designed-a-personal-computer-this-way/
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on July 23, 2015, 09:59:03 PM
^Who knows, but for some better marketing and a bit of luck, the world could have been such a different place today.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 23, 2015, 11:26:30 PM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on July 02, 2015, 01:26:42 PM
I have a couple of great friends from that area , you all have a great sense of humour from Birmingham :)

they need to.  its the New Jersey of England.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 24, 2015, 12:51:09 PM
(https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/11389996_800064973409021_4276039835191870512_n.jpg?oh=df08ef603672512d38e3f299f4ee5f47&oe=565A29AD)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Bison on July 24, 2015, 01:50:30 PM
I'm thinking that I cannot freaking believe that Brant is a Friends fanboi!  BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 24, 2015, 02:06:56 PM
Quote from: Bison on July 24, 2015, 01:50:30 PM
I'm thinking that I cannot freaking believe that Brant is a Friends fanboi!  BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Brant is a steal-funny-shit-from-other-people's-Facebook-pages fanboi.
I can name the main 6 characters, but I'm not one of those folks that can name episodes and guest stars and all that.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on July 24, 2015, 08:18:57 PM
I only watched Friends to cup-the-bishop to Courtney Cox.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on July 24, 2015, 10:18:06 PM
I don't think I've ever seen an episode of Friends, though, in my defense, it is nice and comfy under this rock....
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on July 25, 2015, 04:43:12 AM
Any show with a male character with a lesbian ex-wife kinda resonates with me.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 25, 2015, 08:44:45 AM
Feebie was the most colorful character. Wildcard hippie ftw.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 25, 2015, 09:41:44 AM
You didn't like Ursala?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Bison on July 25, 2015, 10:21:43 AM
Quote from: mirth on July 25, 2015, 04:43:12 AM
Any show with a male character with a lesbian ex-wife kinda resonates with me.

So basically any show currently aired on a letter channel, eh?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on July 25, 2015, 10:37:27 AM
This July the tattoo on my left arm is old enough to drink.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 25, 2015, 11:22:36 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 25, 2015, 09:41:44 AM
You didn't like Ursala?

Was that the girlfriend with the screeching voice?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 25, 2015, 11:38:24 AM
I just watched best of usula then lisa kudrow's interview on doing both parts. My god, she was not acting, she really is like them.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Emeraldlis on July 28, 2015, 05:23:29 PM
Ben .....19!!!!!  WHAT  :o how did that happen  :o now I feel old , damn it  :-\

What also makes me feel old is seeing how much joey has aged , and he was always the baby faced one ...I never saw it coming !!  :-\   :D
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on July 28, 2015, 05:30:10 PM
I was just rewatching Cheers and noticed that Lisa Kudrow was in an episode as a girl in a play with Woody.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 28, 2015, 10:50:06 PM
Quote from: mirth on July 28, 2015, 05:30:10 PM
I was just rewatching Cheers and noticed that Lisa Kudrow was in an episode as a girl in a play with Woody.

Was she a spastic airhead?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on July 29, 2015, 10:05:53 AM
My downstairs AC unit is out and we've been waiting for the PITA warranty company to get a tech off his butt and over here with a replacement coil. $1400 this is going to cost me, oy vey gevalt.

Anyway some rooms are too stuffy to bear so I'm out in the living room working, with Sneakers on in the background. The movie is 23 frikkin' years old and I remember seeing it in the movie theater very clearly. A living River Phoenix to boot. I can't believe this was that long ago...half a lifetime.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on July 29, 2015, 10:11:02 AM
Sneakers is a fun flick. I've probably seen it dozens of times.

Good luck with the AC, BC.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Centurion40 on July 29, 2015, 10:37:02 AM
If I were to mention "River Phoenix" to my kids (21 & 11), they'd think that I'm actually talking about a river in Phoenix, or a river (somewhere) named Phoenix.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: LongBlade on July 29, 2015, 10:50:53 AM
Quote from: Centurion40 on July 29, 2015, 10:37:02 AM
If I were to mention "River Phoenix" to my kids (21 & 11), they'd think that I'm actually talking about a river in Phoenix, or a river (somewhere) named Phoenix.

As it should be.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on July 29, 2015, 06:56:44 PM
20th anniversary of Waterworld

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/waterworld-making-of-budget-1995-125254175097.html
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 29, 2015, 06:57:16 PM
Sneakers in easily in my top 20 movies.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 29, 2015, 07:00:32 PM
Quote from: mirth on July 29, 2015, 06:56:44 PM
20th anniversary of Waterworld

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/waterworld-making-of-budget-1995-125254175097.html

Ironically, I got totally soaked on the rocks off of Morro Bay as the tide came in when we went on a hike the morning we went to go see that movie.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on July 29, 2015, 07:02:09 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 29, 2015, 07:00:32 PM
Quote from: mirth on July 29, 2015, 06:56:44 PM
20th anniversary of Waterworld

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/waterworld-making-of-budget-1995-125254175097.html (https://www.yahoo.com/movies/waterworld-making-of-budget-1995-125254175097.html)

Ironically, I got totally soaked on the rocks off of Morro Bay as the tide came in when we went on a hike the morning we went to go see that movie.

You actually saw it in the theater?  :o
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 29, 2015, 07:03:17 PM
Sidney > Morgan
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 29, 2015, 09:17:50 PM
Quote from: mirth on July 29, 2015, 07:02:09 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 29, 2015, 07:00:32 PM
Quote from: mirth on July 29, 2015, 06:56:44 PM
20th anniversary of Waterworld

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/waterworld-making-of-budget-1995-125254175097.html (https://www.yahoo.com/movies/waterworld-making-of-budget-1995-125254175097.html)

Ironically, I got totally soaked on the rocks off of Morro Bay as the tide came in when we went on a hike the morning we went to go see that movie.

You actually saw it in the theater?  :o

yep, the classic old-style one in downtown San Luis Obispo

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.sanluisobispo.com%2Fsmedia%2F2013%2F01%2F31%2F16%2F11%2FLoRtX.AuSt.76.jpeg&hash=f17edc8cdeeb99910c083cd3682d5bbc42a9233a)

one screen, old-style paper-bag popcorn, etc etc

awesome experience
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on July 30, 2015, 06:19:08 AM
I saw it in the theater, too. I think I was one of a total of four people in the place.

Kind of liked it, too. Not great by any means, but post-apocalyptic chaos appeals to me. So I 'kinda' liked The Postman, too. In two years, that one'll be celebrating its 20th, too.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Barthheart on July 30, 2015, 07:10:13 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 30, 2015, 06:19:08 AM
I saw it in the theater, too. I think I was one of a total of four people in the place.

Kind of liked it, too. Not great by any means, but post-apocalyptic chaos appeals to me. So I 'kinda' liked The Postman, too. In two years, that one'll be celebrating its 20th, too.

The book for the Postman is soooooo much better. The movie doesn't ever really relate except for the title....  :buck2:
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on July 30, 2015, 09:29:56 AM
I went and saw it because his gills were supposed to look like vaginas. I don't think so but am not an expert on either one. Didn't like the movie but it did make me look at fish in a whole new light. ;D
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on July 30, 2015, 11:09:19 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on July 30, 2015, 09:29:56 AM
it did make me look at fish in a whole new light.

^-^ ^-^ ^-^
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 30, 2015, 03:13:54 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 24, 2015, 10:18:06 PMI don't think I've ever seen an episode of Friends, though, in my defense, it is nice and comfy under this rock....

http://www.dailydot.com/entertainment/nerdist-friends-reboot-2015-video/
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: LongBlade on July 30, 2015, 08:48:08 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 30, 2015, 07:10:13 AM
The book for the Postman is soooooo much better.

The Postman was a really good movie.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 30, 2015, 09:39:29 PM
Kevin Costner's movies...

Dances With Wolves - wins awards
Waterworld, aka Dances With Fish - wins nothing but commercially successful
The Postman, aka Dances With Himself - wins nothing and tanks
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on July 31, 2015, 09:13:14 AM
My Grand kids looking at me with puzzled looks when I tell them when I was their age we only had 3 TV channels. And 2 of them were the same thing. And we had to actually go over to the TV to change the channel. I don't think they believe me.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on July 31, 2015, 09:20:05 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on July 31, 2015, 09:13:14 AM
And we had to actually go over to the TV to change the channel

Those were the Dark Times. We barely existed above savages.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Barthheart on July 31, 2015, 09:22:28 AM
Quote from: mirth on July 31, 2015, 09:20:05 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on July 31, 2015, 09:13:14 AM
And we had to actually go over to the TV to change the channel

Those were the Dark Times. We barely existed above savages.

My younger sister used to steal the tuner knob so she could watch what she wanted.... so I dug out some plyers and changed the channels that way.... good times.....  ;D
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Centurion40 on July 31, 2015, 10:44:40 AM
Quote from: mirth on July 31, 2015, 09:20:05 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on July 31, 2015, 09:13:14 AM
And we had to actually go over to the TV to change the channel

Those were the Dark Times. We barely existed above savages.

Yeah, as I keep telling my kid when he asked what we did before Youtube, Netflix and video games.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on July 31, 2015, 10:50:26 AM
Quote from: Centurion40 on July 31, 2015, 10:44:40 AM
Quote from: mirth on July 31, 2015, 09:20:05 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on July 31, 2015, 09:13:14 AM
And we had to actually go over to the TV to change the channel

Those were the Dark Times. We barely existed above savages.

Yeah, as I keep telling my kid when he asked what we did before Youtube, Netflix and video games.

I don't like to think about it. We actually had to go outdoors when we were kids. The horror!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 31, 2015, 10:52:23 AM
Quote from: mirth on July 31, 2015, 09:20:05 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on July 31, 2015, 09:13:14 AM
And we had to actually go over to the TV to change the channel

Those were the Dark Times. We barely existed above bloody savages.

FTFY
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on July 31, 2015, 12:17:37 PM
I remember putting a magnet on my first tv - a 13 inch Zenith color tv from about 1970 - and thinking how cool it looked as the colors swirled around on screen. Didn't know it was permanent :)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bob48 on July 31, 2015, 01:10:46 PM
Must have been some sort of attraction.......
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on July 31, 2015, 04:44:03 PM
Stop now, bob, and you won't get hurt.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bob48 on July 31, 2015, 05:42:57 PM
...the problem is we're just poles apart.........
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 31, 2015, 11:14:37 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 31, 2015, 04:44:03 PMStop now, bob, and you won't get hurt.

are you positive you want him to stop?
you don't want to get all negative around here...
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bob48 on August 01, 2015, 05:03:40 AM
He can be armature person about this.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on August 01, 2015, 06:05:30 AM
You should stand your ground on this.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Greybriar on August 01, 2015, 10:05:48 AM
Last Saturday my 1st cousin Helen died. The next day my 1st cousin Edwin died. Out of twenty-one 1st cousins on my father's side of the family only eight of us are left, and only three are older than I am.

It makes me wonder how much time I have left.  :-\
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on August 01, 2015, 01:41:41 PM
^How do you feel?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 01, 2015, 02:15:46 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on August 01, 2015, 10:05:48 AMIt makes me wonder how much time I have left.  :-\

yikes!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on August 01, 2015, 02:16:44 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 01, 2015, 01:41:41 PM
^How do you feel?

Like looking over his shoulder...


Here's hoping you become the oldest cousin by a wide margin Grey!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Greybriar on August 01, 2015, 04:16:52 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 01, 2015, 01:41:41 PM
^How do you feel?

Unlike my cousin Helen who was on dialysis and suffering from numerous afflictions (we buried her husband two weeks before she passed), I feel okay. But so did my cousin Edwin just moments before he had the heart attack that killed him.

Thanks for the kind thought, Staggerwing. But I don't think I'd want to be the last to go--three of the 1st cousins on the list are my siblings, all of whom are younger than I am.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on August 01, 2015, 05:13:41 PM
Well if you feel ok and get regular check-ups, you have a good chance of beating your DNA.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Greybriar on August 01, 2015, 09:06:24 PM
I don't exactly feel good, but otherwise that's the plan.  ;)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on August 01, 2015, 10:23:54 PM
Not me. I feel lucky to have lived as long as I have now considering all the things wished on me by angry ex's. :tickedoff: How can you burn-in-hell.... and be as cold as a frozen dildo? Doesn't make sense.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Greybriar on August 01, 2015, 10:51:41 PM
I've felt like I was living on borrowed time ever since my tour of duty as an infantryman in Vietnam. ::)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on August 01, 2015, 11:02:17 PM
Then it's been a life well lived.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: LongBlade on August 02, 2015, 10:52:52 AM
+1 with MetalDog.

In any event we're here for you. Moral support, blow off steam, or thoughts and prayers. We'll do what we can.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 02, 2015, 11:00:40 AM
Sitting in front of a row of teenage girls last night at the soccer game (their team was there) and somehow the discussion turned on "how far up do you shave".

Years ago, I would've been thinking "that's hot"; instead I was thinking "geez, Bayonette's going to be having these conversations waaaay too soon for my liking".  Yeah, she's 5.  Ugh.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on August 02, 2015, 12:41:09 PM
My girls are 7 and 9 so take a number. Sounds like I'm next.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Greybriar on August 02, 2015, 12:59:06 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on August 02, 2015, 10:52:52 AM
+1 with MetalDog.

In any event we're here for you. Moral support, blow off steam, or thoughts and prayers. We'll do what we can.

Thanks, I appreciate that.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on August 02, 2015, 02:51:04 PM
My wife and I were going to have dinner at a Brazillian Steakhouse but neither of us wanted to have to shave before we ate there. If you know what I mean. How could they tell I wonder?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on August 02, 2015, 03:22:24 PM
Real Gauchos don't shave anyway.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on August 02, 2015, 04:11:47 PM
 :o jeez people
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 02, 2015, 04:33:17 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 02, 2015, 12:41:09 PM
My girls are 7 and 9 so take a number. Sounds like I'm next.

I have a 10 year old daughter.  I'm entering the Danger Zone. I'm hoping she takes most of it out on her mother.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: LongBlade on August 02, 2015, 05:39:35 PM
16 and 17.

Y'all call me if you need advice.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 02, 2015, 05:46:22 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on August 02, 2015, 05:39:35 PM
16 and 17.

Y'all call me if you need advice.

Damn LB. Let me know if you need to talk.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on August 02, 2015, 05:55:06 PM
22 next month.  Anyone else?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: LongBlade on August 02, 2015, 05:56:57 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 02, 2015, 05:46:22 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on August 02, 2015, 05:39:35 PM
16 and 17.

Y'all call me if you need advice.

Damn LB. Let me know if you need to talk.

Ha! I don't tell you a tenth of the drama that rolls through here. Thanks, but I'm coping well enough.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1081.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fj349%2Flongblade%2FSmilies%2Fflakdodger.gif&hash=d050e7cc67ca48b761edb69e9ca9350d6899c32f) (Yay! I finally get to use this smiley!)

Y'all call me if you need anything.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on August 02, 2015, 10:30:27 PM
My Step-Daughter is 26, happily married to a great guy, and pregnant with her first child. I helped best with raising her right, as I do with most things, by staying out of the way. My Grandson I plan on ruining however.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: LongBlade on August 02, 2015, 10:58:05 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on August 02, 2015, 10:30:27 PM
My Step-Daughter is 26, happily married to a great guy, and pregnant with her first child. I helped best with raising her right, as I do with most things, by staying out of the way. My Grandson I plan on ruining however.

Heh. Awesome.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Labbug on August 03, 2015, 10:32:35 AM
I have 28 year old daughter.  She got an English degree, worked a couple of years and now starts her last year of year of nursing school in the fall.  She is also planning a wedding in the fall of 2016.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: LongBlade on August 03, 2015, 10:58:39 AM
So daughters *can* grow up and live happily ever after. Who knew?  :)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on August 03, 2015, 12:47:09 PM
And they, unlike sons, move out of the house eventually.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Barthheart on August 03, 2015, 05:37:49 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on August 03, 2015, 12:47:09 PM
And they, unlike sons, move out of the house eventually.

If Moms would quit make food and doing laundry for them the boys would leave too.  ^-^
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 03, 2015, 05:40:25 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on August 03, 2015, 05:37:49 PMIf Moms would quit make food and doing laundry for them the boys would leave too.  ^-^

says the guy with no kids...
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Barthheart on August 03, 2015, 05:56:27 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 03, 2015, 05:40:25 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on August 03, 2015, 05:37:49 PMIf Moms would quit make food and doing laundry for them the boys would leave too.  ^-^

says the guy with no kids...

8)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on August 03, 2015, 06:33:11 PM
None he claims anyway.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on August 04, 2015, 08:36:39 PM
None that I have been told of.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 04, 2015, 10:54:04 PM
Other than Billy Corgan, the current members of Smashing Pumpkins all graduated high school after 2007.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on August 05, 2015, 05:33:16 AM
So they were in diapers (at best) when 'Today' first hit the charts and MTV:




Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 13, 2015, 06:14:57 AM
Danny Bonaduce (Patridge Family) is 56 today.

Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Cyrano on August 13, 2015, 02:09:12 PM
I was a freshman in college in the Fall of 1985.  I remember playing the heck out of Viet Nam 1965-75 and thinking that Ia Drang was a most historic thing as it had taken place a whole 20 years before.

Fifty years this Fall...

Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on August 13, 2015, 10:08:52 PM
Eleven years ago today, Hurricane Charlie hit here in Fla. and nearly destroyed my home. Though we weren't hit nearly as hard as many others, it was tough. And followed by 3 more storms that year right behind it. Two weeks without power followed and that sure cut into my gaming I'll tell you. Funny thing is now I can't really remember what I was playing back then. Surely Combat Mission-- probably CMBB or CMAK-- along with whatever Total War was out then and I don't know what else. That makes me feel old. I knew when they gave that storm a real red-neck name like Charlie, it would be trouble. Charles or Douglas or William, OK. But Charlie, Doug, or Bill... look out man.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on August 13, 2015, 10:51:43 PM
We had no power for five days.  We were at the very edge.  Truly a miserable experience.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on August 14, 2015, 05:58:30 AM
Hurricane Irene in 2011 left us without power for about 10-11 days. Luckily I had found an 800watt automotive power inverter a few weeks before and was able to keep the fridge running as well as two portable DVD players for my kids.

Ironically, Superstorm Sandy only knocked us off the grid for about 2 days. Good thing too as it was getting pretty cold in the house by that second night with no furnace...
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 14, 2015, 06:16:29 AM
We've been very lucky...we evacuated 10 years ago when Hurricane Rita came charging through...so too did most of Houston. This meant a 14-hour nightmarish drive to Athens, where my mother-in-law and her husband lived at the time. Normally, that's a 5-hour drive, tops. When we got back it felt like a post-apocalypse landscape; nothing was open, there was no gas...shows you exactly how fragile our supply structure is.

The next big one, Ike, came through in 2008. This one we stayed for, because there was no way in hell we were going through another insane traffic jam like that. The storm was pretty loud and impressive and power did of course go out. Fortunately the only damage we had was a gate removed from its hinges and tossed across the street in a neighbor's yard. We were without power for 48 hours...which sucked, but wasn't NEARLY as bad as most others in town had it (some didn't get power for weeks).
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Centurion40 on August 14, 2015, 07:09:37 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on August 13, 2015, 10:08:52 PM
Eleven years ago today, Hurricane Charlie hit here in Fla. and nearly destroyed my home. Though we weren't hit nearly as hard as many others, it was tough. And followed by 3 more storms that year right behind it. Two weeks without power followed and that sure cut into my gaming I'll tell you. Funny thing is now I can't really remember what I was playing back then. Surely Combat Mission-- probably CMBB or CMAK-- along with whatever Total War was out then and I don't know what else. That makes me feel old. I knew when they gave that storm a real red-neck name like Charlie, it would be trouble. Charles or Douglas or William, OK. But Charlie, Doug, or Bill... look out man.

For us, we're in trouble when they give the storms Hispanic names... like Juan.  By the time that Charlie or Billy makes its way up here, they're all played out.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 14, 2015, 07:59:25 AM
Steve Martin is 70 years old today.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 14, 2015, 08:09:02 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 14, 2015, 07:59:25 AM
Steve Martin is 70 years old today.

sweet baby jeebus
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 14, 2015, 08:20:18 AM
I gotta stop looking at the Wiki entries for each day. He was born in 1945.  :buck2:
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 14, 2015, 08:21:38 AM
The math checks out on that :P
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on August 14, 2015, 09:10:07 AM
Hurricane Charlie blew the roof off the Hurricane Evacuation Center where I live and it had to evacuated-- during the storm! Where do you evacuate to when the Evacuation Center is destroyed? I'm glad we didn't try going there--- to be safe.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Centurion40 on August 14, 2015, 09:12:03 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on August 14, 2015, 09:10:07 AM
Hurricane Charlie blew the roof off the Hurricane Evacuation Center where I live and it had to evacuated-- during the storm! Where do you evacuate to when the Evacuation Center is destroyed? I'm glad we didn't try going there--- to be safe.

:o :2funny:
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on August 14, 2015, 09:57:15 AM
Thin shell concrete domes are the way to go.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: LongBlade on August 14, 2015, 11:21:26 AM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on August 14, 2015, 09:57:15 AM
Thin shell concrete domes are the way to go.

That's what Gus' barber says.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 14, 2015, 11:26:54 AM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on August 14, 2015, 09:57:15 AM
Thin shell concrete domes are the way to go.

For supporting nuclear bewbs?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 14, 2015, 11:50:14 AM
my junior high building was a Civil Defense certified fallout shelter.
with leaking roofs and a shoddy AC system....   ::)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on August 14, 2015, 12:23:37 PM
The above would be correct but I've cut my own hair for many years.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 14, 2015, 01:14:22 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 14, 2015, 12:23:37 PM
The above would be correct but I've cut my own hair for many years.

But you're bald, aren't you?  ;D
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 14, 2015, 01:15:31 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 14, 2015, 01:14:22 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 14, 2015, 12:23:37 PM
The above would be correct but I've cut my own hair for many years.

But you're bald, aren't you?  ;D

Just since he started cutting his own hair.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: LongBlade on August 14, 2015, 03:03:48 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 14, 2015, 01:14:22 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 14, 2015, 12:23:37 PM
The above would be correct but I've cut my own hair for many years.

But you're bald, aren't you?  ;D

Ummm...that was kinda the joke.  ::)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on August 14, 2015, 05:41:02 PM
Unfortunately only in the pate. I got tons of hair around and in the ears, in the nose, on my belly...etc. Gots to keep it fresh.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on August 14, 2015, 06:36:19 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on August 14, 2015, 09:10:07 AM
Hurricane Charlie blew the roof off the Hurricane Evacuation Center where I live and it had to evacuated-- during the storm! Where do you evacuate to when the Evacuation Center is destroyed? I'm glad we didn't try going there--- to be safe.

I remember sitting in the hallway, mattresses at either end and enough water and canned goods to last us for a few days.  We had filled the bathtub with fresh water, too.  It was scary for a little will while it was overhead, but, we made out damage wise just fine.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 14, 2015, 07:29:28 PM
This year is the 40th Anniversary of Monty Python's Holy Grail
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on August 14, 2015, 09:48:01 PM
I was going to put in that that is why Gus is so fast, the aerodynamic dome. Then he would run over here, kick me in the balls, then run home before dinner. So I left it out.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on August 14, 2015, 09:49:08 PM
You chose wisely.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on August 14, 2015, 09:54:00 PM
Why would I do that? I'm sure the shaved dome does not hurt my aerodynamics.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 15, 2015, 01:01:23 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on August 14, 2015, 03:03:48 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 14, 2015, 01:14:22 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 14, 2015, 12:23:37 PM
The above would be correct but I've cut my own hair for many years.

But you're bald, aren't you?  ;D

Ummm...that was kinda the joke.  ::)

Actually, I was guessing. The only photo of Gus I've seen is the one where he's prone on the firing range, with cover. I Photoshopped him to a more funner size than he really is.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on August 15, 2015, 04:58:02 PM
There is no more funner size than me.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on August 15, 2015, 09:42:56 PM
I understand he does his best work prone. Cover or no cover.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Arctic Blast on August 16, 2015, 04:33:04 PM
His greatest advantage in a battle environment is his portability. Larger soldiers can carry him around in a pocket and deploy him at will.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 16, 2015, 04:35:21 PM
Gus, the original MANPAD.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: undercovergeek on August 16, 2015, 07:25:25 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 16, 2015, 04:35:21 PM
Gus, the original MANPAD.

Like a tenna lady?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on August 16, 2015, 08:36:03 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 16, 2015, 07:25:25 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 16, 2015, 04:35:21 PM
Gus, the original MANPAD.

Like a tenna lady?

Hey, in a pinch those kinds of feminine products things make for a great sterile wound dressing. Perhaps it should be mentioned in the Go-Bag thread for the married folk. Why spend extra on field dressings when the Wife's girly things are already paid for?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 16, 2015, 09:02:08 PM
I really like the direction this thread is taking
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on August 16, 2015, 10:17:23 PM
That's what I'll tell my wife the next time she finds strange girly things under the front seat of my truck," Honey I just keep them in case of a need for sterile dressings". Somehow I think my need for sterile dressings will go up.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Arctic Blast on August 16, 2015, 11:23:13 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on August 16, 2015, 10:17:23 PM
That's what I'll tell my wife the next time she finds strange girly things under the front seat of my truck," Honey I just keep them in case of a need for sterile dressings". Somehow I think my need for sterile dressings will go up.

Listen Slash, I'm pretty sure that she's figured out your love for wearing frilly underthings by now. You aren't fooling anyone.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on August 17, 2015, 08:48:13 AM
He fooled me but I was busy.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Cyrano on August 17, 2015, 12:12:49 PM
Restricting yourself to only UNDER things is so last century...go big or go home...
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Nefaro on August 17, 2015, 05:00:26 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on August 16, 2015, 08:36:03 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 16, 2015, 07:25:25 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 16, 2015, 04:35:21 PM
Gus, the original MANPAD.

Like a tenna lady?

Hey, in a pinch those kinds of feminine products things make for a great sterile wound dressing. Perhaps it should be mentioned in the Go-Bag thread for the married folk. Why spend extra on field dressings when the Wife's girly things are already paid for?

That's what Kotex originally was.  Battle dressings.  Then the nurses started using them for their own purposes... in WWI iirc.. and the company caught on to it later.

It's what I've read, anyway. 


You may now return to your regularly scheduled Gusyfication.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: LongBlade on August 17, 2015, 05:41:57 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 17, 2015, 05:00:26 PM
You may now return to your regularly scheduled Gusyfication.

Excellent.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fthealbanysmudge.com%2Fimages%2Farticle_pics%2FzMiSCH%2FDwarfTossing.jpeg&hash=11c55fcfef61ce202c98bf2068a6bc6f4e88984b)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on August 17, 2015, 10:15:32 PM
They're not Frilly Underthings. They are STER--RILE DRESS--SINGS.  ::) Got it?  Actually many years ago before Holy Matrimony wrapped me in it's embrace, an occasional stray pair of women's panties would show-up in my laundry basket from time to time.
   I learned quick never ask a girl, "Are these panties yours"? There's only 2 possible answers, neither good for you. No. 1 "No, they are not mine. So.... Who's are they"? No. 2 "Yes, they are mine. But who did you think they belonged to"?
   The only way to win a game you can't possibly win at, is to not play. If you're REALLY good you can try, "They're for you, Love. For your birthday. Surprise"!! But that's only got about a one in ten chance of success.
   At my age now it's about 50/50 I recognize my own underware in the laundry basket anymore. And this thread IS really starting to make me feel old. So I'll  :-X about it.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 17, 2015, 10:29:17 PM
A Boy Named Goo is 20 years old this year.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on August 18, 2015, 05:31:21 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 17, 2015, 10:29:17 PM
A Boy Named Goo is 20 years old this year.

And Sonic Youth's Goo turned 25 years old two months ago.

Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on August 18, 2015, 06:52:51 AM
Jeez - this thread is becoming hyper-effective.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 18, 2015, 07:23:35 AM
It's a rather Kool Thing we can just Slide from one topic to another around here.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 18, 2015, 07:31:18 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 18, 2015, 07:23:35 AMwe can just Slide

Yeah, but Slide wasn't on A Boy Named Goo.  It was on Dizzy Up The Girl about 2-3 years later
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 18, 2015, 07:34:05 AM
Hipster. :P
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 18, 2015, 08:46:27 AM
Brant's the cool kid of the group.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 18, 2015, 08:53:35 AM
He's probably down at that city-boy college now, wearing a tweed jacket with patches on the elbows, having an unlit pipe hanging from his mouth, and wearing thick black-rimmed glasses, with his 1970s headphones plugged into his mobile vinyl player and listening to the Death Cab for Cutie records he found at Half-Price Books this past weekend, while he waits for his class to start.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fak-hdl.buzzfed.com%2Fstatic%2Fenhanced%2Fterminal05%2F2012%2F5%2F3%2F22%2Fenhanced-buzz-21487-1336099394-0.jpg&hash=49a928aac0cdadf5f234467f79173406060937a3)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 18, 2015, 08:59:54 AM
That doesn't sound cool at all.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 18, 2015, 09:09:17 AM
He might be trying too hard to connect with these kids today.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Centurion40 on August 18, 2015, 09:14:58 AM
I believe that photo could be used to argue in favour of reincarnation.

Who in their right mind would do such things, other than someone who died in the 70s and came back as a hipster?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 18, 2015, 09:17:23 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 18, 2015, 08:53:35 AMlistening to the Death Cab for Cutie records

DCFC sucks. 

I might be listening to Van Morrison, classic Dio, Stone Roses, Trombone Shorty, or Foo Fighters, but alt-hipster stuff like DCFC, Kings of Leon, Superchunk, etc, just annoys the shit out of me.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 18, 2015, 09:19:00 AM
I knew you were a decent guy at heart.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 18, 2015, 09:26:43 AM
I'm still not convinced.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 18, 2015, 09:28:40 AM
The tweed jacket with the patches, huh?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 18, 2015, 09:57:47 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 18, 2015, 09:28:40 AM
The tweed jacket with the patches, huh?

I may or may not own multiple articles of clothing with elbow patches.  One of which might be characterized as a "vintage football jersey".
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on August 18, 2015, 10:21:03 AM
Doesn't the girl sitting across from Mr. Headphones look excited to be there? Have another one dear. It's going to be a long date.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on August 18, 2015, 06:37:44 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 18, 2015, 09:17:23 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 18, 2015, 08:53:35 AMlistening to the Death Cab for Cutie records

DCFC sucks. 


Hey now! I may not be big on Kings of Leon or even know much about Superchunk (though I've heard of them), but Death Cab for Cutie is alright. No need for the hatin'...  :P

I'm also a fan of Sea Wolf, The Decemberists/Tarkio, Rilo Kiley/Jenny Lewis, Western States Motel, and Fleet Foxes as well as a number of other bands I suspect are on the Anti-Hipster No-Fly list, yet anyone who knows me can vouch that I have six sides and eight corners.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 18, 2015, 10:26:35 PM
seen on Twitter

QuoteMy band is so indie we don't even record together. You have to buy 4 separate cds and play them at the same time.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 19, 2015, 08:16:17 AM
Mortal Kombat, the movie, was released 20 years ago

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/mortal-kombat-oral-history-cameron-diaz-126996168532.html
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 19, 2015, 09:10:00 AM
Quote from: mirth on August 19, 2015, 08:16:17 AM
Mortal Kombat, the movie, was released 20 years ago

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/mortal-kombat-oral-history-cameron-diaz-126996168532.html

Best soundtrack evar.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 22, 2015, 07:50:12 PM
Persistence of Time is 25 years old...
http://loudwire.com/anthrax-persistence-of-time-album-anniversary/
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on August 22, 2015, 10:28:56 PM
 :'(
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 23, 2015, 06:50:18 PM
Teen Wolf is 30 today.

http://www.avclub.com/article/its-30th-anniversary-debunking-teen-wolfs-greatest-224179
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on August 23, 2015, 07:42:05 PM
"Give me a keg of beer."

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FQon_ZRzQX0M%2Fhqdefault.jpg&hash=986ca6a7101a0b0ec739a9eff5fb19fd577645d6)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 25, 2015, 12:00:24 PM
24 years of Linux - http://linux.softpedia.com/blog/linux-turns-24-happy-birthday-489974.shtml (http://linux.softpedia.com/blog/linux-turns-24-happy-birthday-489974.shtml)

http://arstechnica.co.uk/business/2015/08/how-linux-was-born-as-told-by-linus-torvalds-himself/ (http://arstechnica.co.uk/business/2015/08/how-linux-was-born-as-told-by-linus-torvalds-himself/)

QuoteHello everybody out there using minix -
I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing
since april, and is starting to get ready. 
-Linus Torvalds, 08/25/91
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on September 02, 2015, 08:33:03 PM
Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card's original short story that became a novel several years later, was published thirty-eight years ago.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on September 02, 2015, 11:01:08 PM
The Borat movie came out 10 years ago.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: LongBlade on September 02, 2015, 11:05:45 PM
Borat who?

You guys are old.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 03, 2015, 05:25:56 AM
So every year, Beloit College releases "The Mindset List" about that year's incoming freshman class.

Try not to get too depressed over this list.  Especially you, Houston Oilers fans.

Quote
2019 LIST
Students heading into their first year of college this year are mostly 18 and were born in 1997.

Among those who have never been alive in their lifetimes are Princess Diana, Notorious B.I.G., Jacques Cousteau, and Mother Teresa.

Joining them in the world the year they were born were Dolly the sheep, The McCaughey septuplets, and Michael "Prince" Jackson Jr.

Since they have been on the planet:

1. Hybrid automobiles have always been mass produced.

2. Google has always been there, in its founding words, "to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible."

3. They have never licked a postage stamp.

4. Email has become the new "formal" communication, while texts and tweets remain enclaves for the casual.

5. Four foul-mouthed kids have always been playing in South Park.

6. Hong Kong has always been under Chinese rule.

7. They have grown up treating Wi-Fi as an entitlement.

8. The NCAA has always had a precise means to determine a national champion in college football.

9. The announcement of someone being the "first woman" to hold a position has only impressed their parents.

10. Charlton Heston is recognized for waving a rifle over his head as much as for waving his staff over the Red Sea.

11. Color photos have always adorned the front page of The New York Times.

12. Ellis Island has always been primarily in New Jersey.

13. "No means no" has always been morphing, slowly, into "only yes means yes."

14. Cell phones have become so ubiquitous in class that teachers don't know which students are using them to take notes and which ones are planning a party.

15. The Airport in Washington, D.C., has always been Reagan National Airport.

16. Their parents have gone from encouraging them to use the Internet to begging them to get off it.       

17. If you say "around the turn of the century," they may well ask you, "which one?"

18. They have avidly joined Harry Potter, Ron, and Hermione as they built their reading skills through all seven volumes.

19. Attempts at human cloning have never been federally funded but do require FDA approval.

20. "Crosstown Classic" and the "Battle of the Bay" have always been among the most popular interleague rivalries in Major League Baseball.

21. Carry Me Back to Old Virginny has never been the official song of the Virginia Commonwealth.

22. Phish Food has always been available from Ben and Jerry.

23. Kyoto has always symbolized inactivity about global climate change.

24. When they were born, cell phone usage was so expensive that families only used their large phones, usually in cars, for emergencies.

25. The therapeutic use of marijuana has always been legal in a growing number of American states.

26. The eyes of Texas have never looked upon The Houston Oilers.

27. Teachers have always had to insist that term papers employ sources in addition to those found online.

28. In a world of DNA testing, the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington has never included a Vietnam War veteran "known only to God."

29. Playhouse Disney was a place where they could play growing up.

30. Surgeons have always used "super glue" in the operating room.

31. Fifteen nations have always been constructing the International Space Station.

32. The Lion King has always been on Broadway.

33. Phoenix Lights is a series of UFO sightings, not a filtered cigarette.

34. Scotland and Wales have always had their own parliaments and assemblies.

35. At least Mom and Dad had their new Nintendo 64 to help them get through long nights sitting up with the baby.

36. First Responders have always been heroes.

37. Sir Paul and Sir Elton have always been knights of the same musical roundtable.

38. CNN has always been available en Español.

39. Heaven's Gate has always been more a trip to Comet Hale-Bopp and less a film flop.

40. Splenda has always been a sweet option in the U.S.

41. The Atlanta Braves have always played at Turner Field.

42. Poland, Hungary, and the Czech Republic have always been members of NATO.

43. Humans have always had the ability to use implanted radio frequency ID chips—slightly larger than a grain of rice.

44. TV has always been in such high definition that they could see the pores of actors and the grimaces of quarterbacks.

45. Mr. Jones and Mr. Smith have always been Men in Black, not their next-door neighbors.

46. The proud parents recorded their first steps on camcorders, mounted on their shoulders like bazookas.

47. They had no idea how fortunate they were to enjoy the final four years of Federal budget surpluses.

48. Amoco gas stations have steadily vanished from the American highway.

49. Vote-by-mail has always been the official way to vote in Oregon.

50. ...and there has always been a Beloit College Mindset List.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on September 03, 2015, 08:14:27 AM
Never cared much for the Oilers (neither did Houston, in the end, especially after that AFC Championship butt-kicking), so meh.

As for these kids, nothing that a good belt-whupin' couldn't fix.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: LongBlade on September 03, 2015, 08:17:20 AM
I always enjoy reading those, Brant. Thanks.

Some of those seem to apply to me, which tells me that I'm younger than my birth certificate says and that I don't give a crap about a lot of stuff Beloit College things is relevant.

Also, judging by several items, they will be so fucked when the zombie apocalypse hits.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 03, 2015, 09:06:34 AM
Quote42. Poland, Hungary, and the Czech Republic have always been members of NATO.

for some reason this one gets to me.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on September 03, 2015, 09:13:22 AM
Yes..... Didn't they used to be on..... The--- Other----Side? :coolsmiley: Ohhh, that was before Reagan and Thatcher. Something else these little Life-Newbies know nothing of. I can remember way back when the Raiders were in Oakland--- the first time.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Centurion40 on September 03, 2015, 09:24:04 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 03, 2015, 09:13:22 AM
Yes..... Didn't they used to be on..... The--- Other----Side? :coolsmiley: Ohhh, that was before Reagan and Thatcher. Something else these little Life-Newbies know nothing of. I can remember way back when the Raiders were in Oakland--- the first time.

And the Rams were in LA, and the Colts were in Baltimore.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 03, 2015, 09:49:32 AM
And the Cardinals were in St Louis.  No, the other Cardinals.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on September 03, 2015, 09:55:57 PM
Speaking of which, the Superbowl will be 50 freaking years old this season. And I can't remember if I've gotten laid since the first one. :'(
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on September 15, 2015, 05:36:27 PM
20th anniversary of Se7en

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/seven-20-years-on-go-behind-the-scenes-of-that-129105333947.html
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 15, 2015, 05:37:55 PM
One of the worst f'n' movies I've ever had the misfortune to watch all of...  even had to sit thru it in the f'n' theater
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on September 15, 2015, 05:45:04 PM
I've never seen the whole thing, just pieces.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 15, 2015, 10:16:30 PM
(https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12009749_835515936546627_8588297757300846052_n.jpg?oh=d3fbd9574e2d6e8e941420cabfbac84e&oe=566E85F3)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on September 15, 2015, 11:22:27 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 15, 2015, 05:37:55 PM
One of the worst f'n' movies I've ever had the misfortune to watch all of...  even had to sit thru it in the f'n' theater


Quote from: mirth on September 15, 2015, 05:45:04 PM
I've never seen the whole thing, just pieces.


Really?  I liked it.  Kevin Spacey plays an evil prick better than just about anyone.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on September 16, 2015, 08:46:34 AM
I was working in a mental hospital at the time, the patients loved it. Go figure.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: LongBlade on September 16, 2015, 08:57:39 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 16, 2015, 08:46:34 AM
I was working in a mental hospital at the time

Cool. Recognize anyone around here?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 16, 2015, 09:03:57 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 16, 2015, 08:57:39 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 16, 2015, 08:46:34 AMI was working in a mental hospital at the time
Cool. Recognize anyone around here?

I was thinking it, but kind of afraid to ask
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on September 16, 2015, 11:50:48 AM
It's part of our on-going monitoring program. Anyone who liked Seven must be watched closely.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on September 17, 2015, 09:11:01 PM
Seven is fucking great, BB is on crack.

It was the first movie The Wife and I ever watched together. I don't know why she didn't run then.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on September 17, 2015, 09:21:07 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 17, 2015, 09:11:01 PM
I don't know why she didn't run then.

She couldn't pick the basement lock?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on September 18, 2015, 06:34:48 AM
She didn't put the lotion on its skin?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on September 18, 2015, 07:43:29 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 18, 2015, 06:34:48 AM
She didn't put the lotion on its skin?

It's not like Gus to share the Aveeno.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on September 18, 2015, 07:59:07 AM
I share everything. Everything!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on September 18, 2015, 09:58:14 AM
You can't run when you're tied-up. That's still legal isn't it?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: besilarius on September 23, 2015, 06:43:57 AM
Old fuddy-duddies just don't understand.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/four-year-old-flower-girl-6485941
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: LongBlade on September 23, 2015, 12:22:52 PM
Quote from: besilarius on September 23, 2015, 06:43:57 AM
Old fuddy-duddies just don't understand.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/four-year-old-flower-girl-6485941

I love that. She is awesome.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on October 01, 2015, 12:56:15 PM
The Hanson runt is 30.

https://music.yahoo.com/blogs/live-nation/zac-hanson-talks-turning-30--yes--30-054922465.html
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on October 01, 2015, 12:57:53 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 23, 2015, 12:22:52 PM
Quote from: besilarius on September 23, 2015, 06:43:57 AM
Old fuddy-duddies just don't understand.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/four-year-old-flower-girl-6485941

I love that. She is awesome.

She's like a little Joe Pesci.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: JasonPratt on October 12, 2015, 12:46:56 PM
Was talking with one of the nieces Saturday night, and casually mentioned a VCR.

"What's a VCR?" she asked.

"Wait, wait, I'm pretty sure I remember," she added, as I started clawing at my face and doing an impression of the Wicked Witch of the West melting away ("I'm melting, melting from old age, aaaaaagghhhh!") "It's... it's... uhhh...." Bro is in the back rofling.

That wasn't as bad what happened on his side the next day, though. He's brought along a boy he big-brothered, now in college, to help us clean out a house, and I ask whether the sound system will be up for bid at the yard sale. "Yep!" Bro says. "And check this out, it has a 500 CD disc changer."

While I'm ooooh-ing, the boy is astounded and trying to figure out why anyone would want 500 CDs. Bro doesn't understand the question, until it occurs to him why the boy is asking: nowadays, all that music would be put on a chip somewhere...
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on October 16, 2015, 03:39:00 PM
Magnum P.I. has its 35th anniversary on December 11.


Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 16, 2015, 05:55:48 PM
I honestly thought it was older than that...
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: mirth on October 19, 2015, 02:54:47 PM
30 years of NES

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/18/happy-birthday-the-nes-is-30-years-old-today/ (https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/the-nes-arrived-in-america-30-years-ago-181020843.html)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 19, 2015, 03:58:43 PM
I get to order my son's Senior Class ring today. Ugh.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Wes on October 19, 2015, 04:07:03 PM
Quote from: mirth on October 19, 2015, 02:54:47 PM
30 years of NES

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/18/happy-birthday-the-nes-is-30-years-old-today/ (https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/the-nes-arrived-in-america-30-years-ago-181020843.html)

Hell yeah.

Of all the knock down drag outs I experienced working in the videogame world there was always unity on one thing...the NES is the greatest system ever. Hell, it saved the industry.

So all you fellas who enjoy street by street fighting on your console and maybe even the ones who enjoy the strategy games on your computer, remember to tip your hat to a little Italian plumber.

Current inventory: 2 top loaders, 3 front loaders
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 31, 2015, 10:29:45 PM
(https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12115641_10153714624772264_4250846938897367999_n.jpg?oh=f991932132eb773e3cb4116b09de24ab&oe=56AC9611)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on November 02, 2015, 10:10:24 AM
Helping-out with Trick or Treats and seeing all the candy and young girls in their skimpy Halloween outfits---- and then realizing I can't handle either one anymore.  :'(
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Greybriar on November 02, 2015, 10:26:20 PM
After reading all the recommendations about what to do on Halloween, I ordered Alien Quadrilogy. It arrived a week or so later and I was satisfied that I had my entertainment for Halloween evening all lined up.

Today I realized I had forgotten to watch the Alien movies I had purchased. Now I am wondering whether to watch them now or take a chance on forgetting them again next year.  :-\
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 03, 2015, 02:22:12 PM
Why, watch them now of course! ;)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Gusington on November 03, 2015, 07:48:42 PM
That is hilarious, Greybriar!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2015 Edition
Post by: Greybriar on November 04, 2015, 08:57:57 PM
Thanks, Gus. It's nice to know that someone appreciated my attempt at humor.