GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Zulu1966 on January 18, 2015, 01:30:36 PM

Title: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Zulu1966 on January 18, 2015, 01:30:36 PM
Does anyone know the status Of this ?

http://shop.decisiongames.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2107

says it will release tomorrow
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Staggerwing on January 18, 2015, 01:54:24 PM
It'd be nice to see a few screenshots. Anyone have a link to those?
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 19, 2015, 10:40:04 AM
Well, it is now saying in stock and available as of today.....still no screenshots or really in depth information on it.
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Barthheart on January 19, 2015, 11:01:30 AM
It's actually still listed as "pre-order" with estimated shipping of today..... doubt it's actually ready yet.
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 19, 2015, 11:05:09 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on January 19, 2015, 11:01:30 AM
It's actually still listed as "pre-order" with estimated shipping of today..... doubt it's actually ready yet.

Interesting...the stock status says "In Stock", but maybe it said that all along, not sure....either way, not high on my list right now.
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Nefaro on January 19, 2015, 12:51:05 PM
Since it's a solitaire tabletop game, I'd still consider just buying the real version. 

Only one issue with that - the counters.  A review I saw for D-Day At Tarawa said they both have the same kind of poorly cut counter sheets that the RAF reprint did.  Those things were goddamn annoying to punch out, and it was the first time I completely ripped the printed paper layer off a counter doing so.  Had to cut each one out with a hobby knife after awhile.  :tickedoff:

I think ArizonaTank and Gehrig38 have posted some AAR bits here, and they sound like fun wargames.  I definitely enjoyed the card-driven solitaire play in RAF and I think these use a similar concept.
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Zulu1966 on January 19, 2015, 05:40:24 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 19, 2015, 12:51:05 PM
Since it's a solitaire tabletop game, I'd still consider just buying the real version. 

Only one issue with that - the counters.  A review I saw for D-Day At Tarawa said they both have the same kind of poorly cut counter sheets that the RAF reprint did.  Those things were goddamn annoying to punch out, and it was the first time I completely ripped the printed paper layer off a counter doing so.  Had to cut each one out with a hobby knife after awhile.  :tickedoff:

I think ArizonaTank and Gehrig38 have posted some AAR bits here, and they sound like fun wargames.  I definitely enjoyed the card-driven solitaire play in RAF and I think these use a similar concept.

The other issue is that my board game playing days are over - and am too old to service the rules of a game with only my brain and no computer. I had read the board game was excellent - and would by its nature as a solitaire game be unhindered by poor AI.
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Philippe on January 19, 2015, 05:57:53 PM
Omaha beach is the kind of battle that strikes me as lending itself to solitaire treatment. There aren't a lot of decisions that can get made that will have much of an impact on how things turn out, other than the casualty count. And the defenders are going to be pretty static, at least during D-Day.  Different story if you include Gold, Juno, Sword, and Utah.
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: tgb on January 19, 2015, 07:19:27 PM
As tired as I am of WWII, the boardgame nature interests me a bit.  Who is going to take one for the team?
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 19, 2015, 07:39:18 PM
Quote from: tgb on January 19, 2015, 07:19:27 PM
As tired as I am of WWII, the boardgame nature interests me a bit.  Who is going to take one for the team?

First we have to figure out when it will actually be released:)  For me, I would need more information then is provided on that web page to determine whether to ever buy or not.  Is there any forum or some kind of preview article available from anywhere?  Screenshots?
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: tgb on January 19, 2015, 08:24:52 PM
Is there some doubt about it releasing today?
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 19, 2015, 08:27:52 PM
 :tickedoff:
Quote from: tgb on January 19, 2015, 08:24:52 PM
Is there some doubt about it releasing today?

Hasn't come out of pre order status yet and kind of late in the day.....but doesn't really seem to be any official info one way or another.
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Zulu1966 on January 21, 2015, 02:18:55 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 19, 2015, 08:27:52 PM
:tickedoff:
Quote from: tgb on January 19, 2015, 08:24:52 PM
Is there some doubt about it releasing today?

Hasn't come out of pre order status yet and kind of late in the day.....but doesn't really seem to be any official info one way or another.

Well I enquired with decision and the answer I got was that they are expecting delivery of the " units " at the end of this week. Quite what that means I am not sure.
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Zulu1966 on January 22, 2015, 03:41:07 PM
Evidently its physical only. :( I guess they are worried about piracy ?
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 22, 2015, 06:04:45 PM
That's an interesting decision.
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: bbmike on January 22, 2015, 06:57:05 PM
I took the Jarhead approach and ordered this.  8)
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 22, 2015, 07:19:36 PM
Is there anywhere this game is being discussed or screenshots provided?
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: bbmike on January 22, 2015, 07:25:23 PM
Well, gehrig38 was playing it in Vassal (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=11829.0) and if it's good enough for him then by god it's good enough for me.  :P
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 07:28:55 PM
Quote from: bbmike on January 22, 2015, 07:25:23 PM
Well, gehrig38 was playing it in Vassal (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=11829.0) and if it's good enough for him then by god it's good enough for me.  :P


I think we chased him off with the crazy forum banter diversions.  :D
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Staggerwing on January 22, 2015, 07:31:06 PM
This place ain't for the faint of heart.
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: TacticalWargames on January 22, 2015, 10:41:20 PM
Has anyone ever played their Sub PC game?
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: FarAway Sooner on January 23, 2015, 09:13:09 AM
I am still dieing for a review here, if anybody's played it?

Staggerwing, I'd suggest that this place ain't for the faint of heart or wit...    ;D
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Zulu1966 on January 23, 2015, 04:19:28 PM
Well decision said to me today to come back in a coupe of months and there might be a download version.
May just order in any event >:D
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 23, 2015, 07:59:08 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on January 23, 2015, 04:19:28 PM
Well decision said to me today to come back in a coupe of months and there might be a download version.
May just order in any event >:D

Are the box copies still being released soon or those in a couple of months too?
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Zulu1966 on January 25, 2015, 07:54:14 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 23, 2015, 07:59:08 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on January 23, 2015, 04:19:28 PM
Well decision said to me today to come back in a coupe of months and there might be a download version.
May just order in any event >:D

Are the box copies still being released soon or those in a couple of months too?

No, the box versions were due in end of last week but not sure if they arrived but they were arriving before the download which doesn't even seem a certainty at this stage
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Zulu1966 on January 27, 2015, 02:54:22 PM
Just a ps.

Should anyone pick this up please come back and tell us what it's like.
I am afraid the postal charges, which rack up to be almost as much as the game push this into a wait a while purchase for me.
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Staggerwing on January 27, 2015, 03:09:46 PM
If shipping is so expensive maybe you guys over in Old Blighty should form some kind of buying club where you get a whole bunch of games on one order and then have it shipped to one person. After that you can use the local postal network or even drive over to the receiving party to get your game(s).
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Zulu1966 on January 27, 2015, 04:15:41 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on January 27, 2015, 03:09:46 PM
If shipping is so expensive maybe you guys over in Old Blighty should form some kind of buying club where you get a whole bunch of games on one order and then have it shipped to one person. After that you can use the local postal network or even drive over to the receiving party to get your game(s).

Yes good idea - but I think I need at least four takers before it becomes more sensible with regard postage cost then I am likely, given everything in old blighty is twice as expensive as anywhere else for some reason, to spend as much again posting it internally.

Am waiting to spring on Black sea currently and keep dropping legion Wargames Dien Bien Phu into the purchase box at the moment - so I will perhaps wait until I have those out of my system and my interminable drive to by everything even remotely a wargame kicks in before I make a purchase.
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 31, 2015, 11:17:22 PM
Looks like this must be released and available since moved out of the pre order page and no longer listing estimated dates, but instead says ships within 1-2 business days....some screens now posted

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.decisiongames.com%2Fv%2Fvspfiles%2Fphotos%2F2107-5T.jpg&hash=ada8db40c7fa6bba8206333a2293109261837ab1)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.decisiongames.com%2Fv%2Fvspfiles%2Fphotos%2F2107-6T.jpg&hash=33fec1563d299f040e1284401ca38b09ae2d3ea0)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.decisiongames.com%2Fv%2Fvspfiles%2Fphotos%2F2107-7T.jpg&hash=5ebb0b22c009faf267cabbe32a7ad24c1e2a64a0)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.decisiongames.com%2Fv%2Fvspfiles%2Fphotos%2F2107-8T.jpg&hash=30d4835f831bab351a24018d2fdccf5777a94dbd)
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: TacticalWargames on February 01, 2015, 02:51:20 AM
Looks like Vassal to me.
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Zulu1966 on February 01, 2015, 09:16:34 AM
Quote from: TacticalWargames on February 01, 2015, 02:51:20 AM
Looks like Vassal to me.

Well it would look a bit like that as its the same game - but that looks like a computer version to me.
Looks like they have done a decent job on it. Jeez - going to have to get it now.
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Grim.Reaper on February 01, 2015, 09:18:08 AM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on February 01, 2015, 09:16:34 AM
Quote from: TacticalWargames on February 01, 2015, 02:51:20 AM
Looks like Vassal to me.

Well it would look a bit like that as its the same game - but that looks like a computer version to me.

Those pictures were on the computer game version's product page, so my assumption is they are from the computer game, unless they are pulling a fast one:)
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Zulu1966 on February 01, 2015, 10:11:18 AM
Bought :idiot2:
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: bbmike on February 01, 2015, 06:12:02 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on February 01, 2015, 10:11:18 AM
Bought :idiot2:

Yeah, I bought it on the 22nd but no shipping notice yet.
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Barthheart on February 03, 2015, 09:30:50 AM
Anyone get their copy yet?
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Zulu1966 on February 03, 2015, 03:48:05 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 03, 2015, 09:30:50 AM
Anyone get their copy yet?

Nope - am not in the US - and didn't want to spring for priority mail so I reckon its at least three weeks away yet
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: bbmike on February 06, 2015, 01:39:21 PM
Just received this! I'll post impressions on it after I get a chance to try it.  8)
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Barthheart on February 06, 2015, 01:40:29 PM
Quote from: bbmike on February 06, 2015, 01:39:21 PM
Just received this! I'll post impressions on it after I get a chance to try it.  8)

O0
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: DennisS on February 06, 2015, 01:55:37 PM
ME LIKEY...ME WANT THIS!!! :uglystupid2:
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Barthheart on February 06, 2015, 02:22:52 PM
Hmmmm.... mixed to bad comments so far on BGG.....  :(

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1315254/pc-version-arrived-today

Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: GJK on February 06, 2015, 03:32:06 PM
I just got notice today that the copy that I purchased for my brother's birthday has shipped.  It better not be a POS program.  I knew I should of just gotten him the boardgame version....   >:(
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Zulu1966 on February 06, 2015, 04:22:00 PM
Quote from: GJK on February 06, 2015, 03:32:06 PM
I just got notice today that the copy that I purchased for my brother's birthday has shipped.  It better not be a POS program.  I knew I should of just gotten him the boardgame version....   >:(

I don't know - there seems to have been one guy who had a problem, then a lot of people who obviously don't have the game saying that's terrible, then a few people who do have the game saying they don't see what the problems are.

tis a bit rush to judgement. I bought it and just had notification its on its way so will make up my own mind when I get it.
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: spelk on February 06, 2015, 04:38:20 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on February 06, 2015, 04:22:00 PM
tis a bit rush to judgement. I bought it and just had notification its on its way so will make up my own mind when I get it.

Is there a shipping delay for a downloadable game?
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: bbmike on February 06, 2015, 05:31:35 PM
I just installed and ran it. I've never played the physical version so I have no idea of what's going on. The comments about no documentation are silly- you get rules (a couple of sets for some reason), color charts and example plays. As far as how it looks, it looks like Vassal but better. You even get basic fire animations and explosions.
The interface. Well, it is a bit odd but not terribly bad. Moving around the map is easy. You can left-click and drag the map and the mouse wheel zooms in and out. The interface does feel dated but it's not enough to make me not want to play.
I did experience one crash but I clicked on something I probably shouldn't have. It was the US turn and I clicked on some German arrow thingy. It didn't like that. :P I'm sure there are bugs in the game but if DG listens to feedback and patches it shouldn't be a problem.
One thing I don't like is it looks like you can't save a game at any point. When you quit it seems your game is saved automatically for you and you can continue it (or load another one) when you start again.
So far, and it is very early, I don't feel like I've wasted $25. I will read the rules and try to learn/play the game some more and post more feedback.
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Grim.Reaper on February 06, 2015, 07:06:53 PM
Quote from: spelk on February 06, 2015, 04:38:20 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on February 06, 2015, 04:22:00 PM
tis a bit rush to judgement. I bought it and just had notification its on its way so will make up my own mind when I get it.

Is there a shipping delay for a downloadable game?

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread it is physical copy only.....at least for now
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Barthheart on February 06, 2015, 07:23:07 PM
Thanks mike. I trust people on here to give more balanced insights than on BGG.
Title: Re: Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Computer Version
Post by: Zulu1966 on February 06, 2015, 08:48:00 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 06, 2015, 07:06:53 PM
Quote from: spelk on February 06, 2015, 04:38:20 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on February 06, 2015, 04:22:00 PM
tis a bit rush to judgement. I bought it and just had notification its on its way so will make up my own mind when I get it.

Is there a shipping delay for a downloadable game?

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread it is physical copy only.....at least for now

Yes only physical - they said come back in a couple of months to see if there is a download. Not had much to do with decision games but the responses I got were very terse.