GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: son_of_montfort on April 25, 2012, 07:27:11 PM

Title: PORT ROYALE 3!!?!
Post by: son_of_montfort on April 25, 2012, 07:27:11 PM
Nobody freakin' told me the Caribbean trade/merchant pirate sim Port Royale was getting a third iteration and that it was releasing in about a week!?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/205610/

I'm so excited about this! I love the medieval version, Patrician, although North Sea trade really isn't my area. But Caribbean trade with piracy and smuggling... you can't beat it!

Anyone else like these games?
Title: Re: PORT ROYALE 3!!?!
Post by: TheCommandTent on April 25, 2012, 07:28:55 PM
I saw this on STEAM but had never heard of this series before.  Whats the game play like?
Title: Re: PORT ROYALE 3!!?!
Post by: son_of_montfort on April 25, 2012, 07:37:36 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on April 25, 2012, 07:28:55 PM
I saw this on STEAM but had never heard of this series before.  Whats the game play like?

Honestly, a spreadsheet with an overlay map full of beautiful seas and boats.  ;)

It's a hardcore trade game, so you buy cargo at one port and sell it at other points. You have supply and demand models, production, events that effect the market (war, famine, disease), that sort of thing. You basically run a trading company. In PR2, you had the option of outfitting your ships to "go pirating" with a naval war engine similar to the old Pirates! series, although a bit more complicated.

There is a lot of trade micromanagement, which is something I like. The best analog was an old game called Merchant Prince/Machiavelli (depending on the version) back in the 90s. But in the PR series you can build production buildings, run for political offices, do trade missions, court favor with different cities - a whole range of stuff. If you like economics sims and like the 16th-17th century Caribbean setting, I suggest looking into this one.
Title: Re: PORT ROYALE 3!!?!
Post by: TheCommandTent on April 25, 2012, 07:53:20 PM
It does look like a visually appealing game.  I enjoy the setting but not sure what I think about a trading simulation.  I will say I enjoyed the remake of Sid Meiers Pirates! so I might look into this after it comes out.
Title: Re: PORT ROYALE 3!!?!
Post by: LongBlade on April 25, 2012, 08:01:29 PM
I've heard good things about the series but never played it myself.
Title: Re: PORT ROYALE 3!!?!
Post by: Bison on April 25, 2012, 08:08:38 PM
I'm hopefully optimistic about this one. 
Title: Re: PORT ROYALE 3!!?!
Post by: son_of_montfort on April 25, 2012, 10:17:21 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on April 25, 2012, 07:53:20 PM
It does look like a visually appealing game.  I enjoy the setting but not sure what I think about a trading simulation.  I will say I enjoyed the remake of Sid Meiers Pirates! so I might look into this after it comes out.

Don't let my mention of SM Pirates Gold! fool you, it's a DEEP trading sim above all else.

QuoteI'm hopefully optimistic about this one. 

I see what you did there.

But yeah, the only thing that bugs me is how it apparently appeared out of nowhere.
Title: Re: PORT ROYALE 3!!?!
Post by: Nefaro on April 26, 2012, 01:47:03 AM
I knew they were making PR3 for awhile now, but the release date was only put out the last couple weeks I think.

I've been waitin' for this one.  Much prefer the Caribbean over early rennaissance Baltic (bleh).  The trading part is fun, and I've plain gone raiding in previous ones, when I felt like adding some extra cargo to my holds (although it's not near as profitable as some heated trading).
Title: Re: PORT ROYALE 3!!?!
Post by: undercovergeek on April 26, 2012, 02:37:08 AM
patiently waiting!!

been waiting for a highly recommended trade sim for a while now - a while back i bought Pr3 on gog and lost a whole weekend just trying things out (while the couple downstairs had a great arguement, and in between turns i watched the police turn up and drag the shouty baffoons away) - loved all aspects apart from the North Sea setting which is odd for a UK-er but palm trees, islands, rum running and piracy - now youre talking

on a side note and i may be misinformed - this was on the WG forum (i think) the german version of the game is available next week and the non german version is available next week but only in download format - the translated hard copy will only be out September ish
Title: Re: PORT ROYALE 3!!?!
Post by: undercovergeek on April 26, 2012, 02:41:21 AM
http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=583119

in case ye scurvy dogs dont believe me