GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on January 21, 2015, 12:22:42 PM

Title: DCS: C-101 Aviojet now available...
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 21, 2015, 12:22:42 PM
...but why would you want it? I mean, they have the BAE Hawk in beta. Why do we need another outdated and obscure trainer?

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/dcs_c_101_aviojet_is_now_available_for_download/ (http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/dcs_c_101_aviojet_is_now_available_for_download/)
Title: Re: DCS: C-101 Aviojet now available...
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 21, 2015, 02:15:03 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 21, 2015, 12:22:42 PM
...but why would you want it? I mean, they have the BAE Hawk in beta. Why do we need another outdated and obscure trainer?

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/dcs_c_101_aviojet_is_now_available_for_download/ (http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/dcs_c_101_aviojet_is_now_available_for_download/)
We don't. In my world we didn't need any - but I get why others may want them...these kinds of aircraft won't prise the money out of my pockets though

I want a Tomcat with Phoenix missiles Goddammit!
Title: Re: DCS: C-101 Aviojet now available...
Post by: DoctorQuest on January 21, 2015, 04:01:09 PM
Talk to me when you have an F-22.
Title: Re: DCS: C-101 Aviojet now available...
Post by: Nefaro on January 21, 2015, 04:39:59 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on January 21, 2015, 04:01:09 PM
Talk to me when you have an F-22.



... or an Apache.  ^-^
Title: Re: DCS: C-101 Aviojet now available...
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 21, 2015, 04:41:09 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 21, 2015, 04:39:59 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on January 21, 2015, 04:01:09 PM
Talk to me when you have an F-22.



... or an Apache.  ^-^
ooooohhh.....+100!  O0
Title: Re: DCS: C-101 Aviojet now available...
Post by: jomni on January 21, 2015, 07:42:11 PM
Sorry pop your bubble.

That will only happen when they get decommissioned or when they get declassified
Title: Re: DCS: C-101 Aviojet now available...
Post by: Nefaro on January 21, 2015, 09:34:28 PM
Quote from: jomni on January 21, 2015, 07:42:11 PM
Sorry pop your bubble.

That will only happen when they get decommissioned or when they get declassified

Thought I read that they planned on making an Apache module, along with the F-18 and some other stuff.

Granted, they will likely be older models but that doesn't bother me at all for those aircraft.  It's the mix of WW2 and Korean aircraft with all the modern stuff in that damn Black Sea area that's so screwed up.
Title: Re: DCS: C-101 Aviojet now available...
Post by: Toonces on January 21, 2015, 09:48:14 PM
I think this is a case of the devs wanting to create what "they use."  The devs are Spanish and this is a Spanish trainer.

There is some minor demand for trainers and light attack aircraft among virtual squadrons.  I would have picked something else- a T-38 could be an excellent trainer and has the added benefit of being perfectly at home in a Nevada theater as a trainer and adversary aircraft.  But...well of course that just makes too much damn sense, huh?

WRT DCS in general, it pays to put off non-essential purchases as long as possible.  I picked up MiG-21 for a cool $17 during the latest flash sale.  No need to pay $60 for something if you can wait until it goes down to a fraction of the price in 6 months.

I can wait.
Title: Re: DCS: C-101 Aviojet now available...
Post by: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 03:01:07 AM
Quote from: Toonces on January 21, 2015, 09:48:14 PM


WRT DCS in general, it pays to put off non-essential purchases as long as possible.  I picked up MiG-21 for a cool $17 during the latest flash sale.  No need to pay $60 for something if you can wait until it goes down to a fraction of the price in 6 months.

I can wait.


I didn't even pick up the MiG-21 during those last two sales.  Been re-thinking purchases from them while their environment languishes.  I got enough sim to keep me busy for awhile as is.
Title: Re: DCS: C-101 Aviojet now available...
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 22, 2015, 03:20:33 AM
Initially, I bought aircraft that I didn't even want - just to keep money flowing in. The Mustang, Mi-8 and FC3 weren't things I would normally buy - but I did.

I am at the stage now - a bit like you Nefaro - where I seem to be waiting on something for me to go "There - that's it...I'm in"...unfortunately, I don't know what that is. Is it the region? Is it the scenarios? Is it the lack of Campaigns or at least dynamic campaigns? I really don't know.

What the big deal about Nevada is, I have absolutely no idea. I'm willing to listen if anyone can tell me (quite aside from the fact that it's using the next gen engine afaik) what is so important about Nevada?

But - I do know that I will not be buying anymore aircraft that I'm not interested in. If things like the Harrier, Phantom, Jaguar, Tomcat, F16, Tornado, Apache and possibly even the Cobra show up - my money will be falling out of my wallet faster than I could count it.

Unfortunately, even if they do provide any of those aircraft I'll probably do what I've done with the rest - sit and wait - for something. God - if I don't know what I'm waiting on, how the hell are the devs meant to figure it out...along with everything else everyone else is thinking about.

Am I waiting on the new F-16 Allied Force? What I definitely would've been happier with was less aircraft and more content. I am that way. Give me too many choices I can't make my mind up. If DCS launched with the A-10 and that was that, I'd probably have flown it to death.

Maybe it's no-one's fault but my own that I can't get into it.

But unless I'm interested in the aircraft modeled, my money will stay put.
Title: Re: DCS: C-101 Aviojet now available...
Post by: Toonces on January 22, 2015, 04:06:06 AM
JD-
I don't disagree with you.  In most ways I agree that a wait and see approach is warranted.

I personally believe, for no firm reason, that DCS is the future of modern flight simulation...if not the future of future simulation period.

I say this as a die-hard, forever Falcon 4.0 fan.

DCS lacks the dynamic campaign, and therefore single player, replayable experience of Falcon 4.  I've seen no indication that this will change.  I did see allusion to a a Mig-21 "dynamic" set of missions but I have not tried it yet.

I will say this, though.  Based on what I have seen and read on BMS forums, and I could be 100* wrong (although I don't think I am), I think DCS is the future of modern flight combat simulation.  I say this because:

1.  BMS Falcon is never going to simulate anything other than the F-16 to "DCS Standards"; meaning we may get some other jet functionality, but it will never be dedicated to that particular jet (i.e. Aerosoft F-14).

2.  BMS Falcon: Broken AI:  Ultimately, despite the dynamic campaign, it is fearfully flawed in the single player campaign.  Yes it is fearfully better than DCS, but Falcon is a repair cycle while DCS is in a development cycle.  So, I have some (unwarranted) faith that DCS is going to eventually usurp DCS.

3.  I can't even remember.  The two sims are so cheap on dollar/investment, seriusly this information is out there.  Read up.  Sorry, gettin' tired here in HI.   ???
Title: Re: DCS: C-101 Aviojet now available...
Post by: jomni on January 22, 2015, 07:30:25 AM
I think people like Nevada so that they can recreate a virtual Red Flag Exercise.

Blue vs. Blue or aggressors.
Title: Re: DCS: C-101 Aviojet now available...
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 22, 2015, 07:32:12 AM
Quote from: jomni on January 22, 2015, 07:30:25 AM
I think people like Nevada so that they can recreate a virtual Red Flag.

At this point, I think people like Nevada because it isn't near the Black Sea.
Title: Re: DCS: C-101 Aviojet now available...
Post by: jomni on January 22, 2015, 08:28:10 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 22, 2015, 07:32:12 AM
Quote from: jomni on January 22, 2015, 07:30:25 AM
I think people like Nevada so that they can recreate a virtual Red Flag.

At this point, I think people like Nevada because it isn't near the Black Sea.

+1  Any new terrain is good.
Title: Re: DCS: C-101 Aviojet now available...
Post by: Skoop on January 22, 2015, 03:09:36 PM
^ True, but if edge is as good as they say, I may fall in love with the black sea all over again.  Even more so if all those dynamic battle scenarios can finally be played out with reasonable fps.  The laggy old dcs code is whats hamstung dcs campaign development.

The c101 is coming with a trainer model and a combat model, the combat model looks pretty cool, carries a decent variety of weapons.  Like toonces said, if you wait, you could get the whole collection on a bargain.

As for the apache, I stopped wishing for that long ago.  After seeing how Boeing killed the 3rd party dev of the A-4 Skyhawk by VEAO, I realized that we may never see a dcs apache.  The good news is that Bellsimtek has plans to do an AH-1 after the mig 15 release.  Originally it was going to be a Vietnam era G model, but was changed to the more modern Whiskey model that has flir and carries hellfires....which will do for now....and I can finally park my POS Russian made Blackshark forever and fly something American made.
Title: Re: DCS: C-101 Aviojet now available...
Post by: Toonces on January 23, 2015, 09:44:12 PM
I didn't want to create a whole new thread for this...saw this over at SimHQ.  Looks really nice...I'm definitely feeling it's time to migrate from Falcon over to DCS...at least partially.

Title: Re: DCS: C-101 Aviojet now available...
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 23, 2015, 09:48:28 PM
Wow.
Title: Re: DCS: C-101 Aviojet now available...
Post by: Yskonyn on January 24, 2015, 07:40:21 AM
Looks great! The lighting especially!  O0
I don't think it'll be a Januari release though. Despite their statement late Nov that they were aiming for a late Dec release I know their track record with release dates.

I'll say we get it somewhere in Spring.