GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Tech Talk => Topic started by: steve58 on January 21, 2015, 02:32:55 PM

Title: Windows 10 to be free upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users
Post by: steve58 on January 21, 2015, 02:32:55 PM
...well, this might make me upgrade from Windows 7.  :-\   I'll wait and see how it works on everyone else's PCs first ;)  ...and of course, I'm not seeing anything about if it'll still be free after a year?

Quote
The rumors were right: Microsoft is going to make Windows 10 available for free to users running Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 on their devices.

But there's a catch, at least so far: The Windows 10 update will be available for free for one year from the date that Windows 10 is commercially available. Windows 10 is likely to be commercially available as of fall 2015, according to previous comments from Microsoft execs.

Microsoft Operating System Group chief Terry Myerson announced this piece of its pricing strategy on January 21 as part of its Windows 10 consumer preview event in Redmond, Wash.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-to-make-windows-10-free-to-windows-7-8-1-and-windows-phone-8-1-users/
Title: Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users
Post by: Greybriar on January 21, 2015, 02:55:16 PM
What happened to Windows 9?  ;)

Like you, I think I will take the "wait and see" approach before I consider switching.
Title: Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users
Post by: MIGMaster on January 21, 2015, 02:56:15 PM
Hhhmmm.... I read they are also going to include Cortana in 10. Hopefully, that works out a lot better than BOB did  ;)
Title: Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users
Post by: steve58 on January 21, 2015, 04:15:46 PM
nvm...
Title: Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users
Post by: Shelldrake on January 21, 2015, 04:47:52 PM
Wait and see until the year deadline is almost up will be my approach.
Title: Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users
Post by: bbmike on January 21, 2015, 04:48:34 PM
I knew it was going to be free for 8.1 users, but 7 users as well? That's pretty sweet! Of course the cynic in me knows it's because they want everyone on their Live Account garbage.  ::)
Title: Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users
Post by: steve58 on January 21, 2015, 08:44:37 PM
so, looks like Windows 10 will be free, if Windows 7/8 users upgrade in Windows 10 Year 1

Quote
So DirectX 12 will, we're told, only work with Windows 10. That's a bummer for people who don't want to upgrade from Win 7 or 8, but sugaring that pill slightly is the newly-revealed free upgrade to Win 10. But it's only free if you upgrade during the first year following Win 10's launch. As far as our correspondent has been able to establish, so long as you upgrade within that first year, Win 10 is yours for free forever, rather than that it starts shouting at you to pay a year later. Update: Microsoft have explained the upgrade offer a little more here.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/21/more-on-todays-win-10-update-free-offer-dx12-more-xbox-games/#more-264523

Title: Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 21, 2015, 08:50:00 PM
I see no reason to upgrade at all.
Title: Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users
Post by: steve58 on January 21, 2015, 08:55:08 PM
initially, I did not either, but it seems Directx 12 will not be available to Windows 7 users...so any new games requiring Directx 12...will need Windows 10 (and maybe a new graphics card as well) :tickedoff:
Title: Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 21, 2015, 09:00:15 PM
shit.... most of the games I play dont even use all the processors my cpu has yet.
Title: Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users
Post by: Grimnirsson on January 22, 2015, 06:54:39 AM
From what I read MS will drop support for Windows 7 so switching over to 10 is the only way to have a supported OS it seems and to make this available for free is a smart move.
Title: Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users
Post by: JasonPratt on January 22, 2015, 12:47:15 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on January 21, 2015, 04:47:52 PM
Wait and see until the year deadline is almost up will be my approach.

Agreed. Microsoft isn't paying me enough to be their beta tester. In fact, unless / until Falcon NW signs off on using Win10 as standard on their builds, I wouldn't even take it for free.

Windows 8.1 is at least somewhat stable now.
Title: Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users
Post by: DoctorQuest on January 22, 2015, 01:28:51 PM
This is just a guess but I suspect MS will release the Win10 upgrade along the lines of the "anytime upgrade" for Windows 7/8. You basically get a license key that can be used, well, er, anytime. You just need to get the license key within the one year timeframe. You could probably wait to actually perform the upgrade. They would not really be able to lock you into an "install date" due to the fact that folks will replace/upgrade/refresh their rigs well beyond the end of the one-year deadline.

I am probably going to sign up just to see what happens. I do enough PC work on the side that I need to try to keep up with MS.
Title: Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users
Post by: bbmike on January 22, 2015, 06:38:52 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on January 22, 2015, 01:28:51 PM
This is just a guess but I suspect MS will release the Win10 upgrade along the lines of the "anytime upgrade" for Windows 7/8. You basically get a license key that can be used, well, er, anytime. You just need to get the license key within the one year timeframe. You could probably wait to actually perform the upgrade. They would not really be able to lock you into an "install date" due to the fact that folks will replace/upgrade/refresh their rigs well beyond the end of the one-year deadline.

I am probably going to sign up just to see what happens. I do enough PC work on the side that I need to try to keep up with MS.

I kind of did that with Windows 8 when it came out. I bought an extra copy during the special introductory $40 sale but didn't activate it until much, much later. I hope you're guess is good!  :)
Title: Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users
Post by: Martok on January 26, 2015, 04:36:37 PM
Quote from: steve58 on January 21, 2015, 08:55:08 PM
initially, I did not either, but it seems Directx 12 will not be available to Windows 7 users...so any new games requiring Directx 12...will need Windows 10 (and maybe a new graphics card as well) :tickedoff:
Bloody hell.  >:(  And I still have XP installed on one half of my hard drive too... 

Title: Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users
Post by: mirth on January 30, 2015, 11:19:04 AM


Quote from: Martok on January 26, 2015, 04:36:37 PM
Quote from: steve58 on January 21, 2015, 08:55:08 PM
initially, I did not either, but it seems Directx 12 will not be available to Windows 7 users...so any new games requiring Directx 12...will need Windows 10 (and maybe a new graphics card as well) :tickedoff:
Bloody hell.  >:(  And I still have XP installed on one half of my hard drive too... 



Yeah, I only just moved to Win 7. I'm not ready for a new OS.