GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on January 23, 2015, 06:36:31 AM

Title: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 23, 2015, 06:36:31 AM


So, what's it going to be? Maybe some Star Wars Rebellion and some FPS Syndicate?
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Bison on January 23, 2015, 06:50:51 AM
I'm tempted by SW Rebellion, but most likely will end up playing Dom4 or Fallen Enchantress. 
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MetalDog on January 23, 2015, 06:54:45 AM
^ Got FE a couple of weeks ago.  Played some and see it's similar to a fantasy Civ, but, it's not really grabbing me like I want it to.  What's your secret?

I will definitely try some more Fallen Enchantress and Skyrim this weekend.  And if any of my MP partners are about, some Warlock or Age of WOnders III.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: bob48 on January 23, 2015, 07:01:03 AM
^Sorry MD, but we have visitors for Sunday lunch so I wont be on until early evening :-(

Been getting into Planetary Annihilation. Its OK but I am finding the battles are getting a bit repetitive and predictable, although I am only playing solo mode.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: undercovergeek on January 23, 2015, 07:06:31 AM
working all weekend, but when i can squeeze in some gaming im mid way through a 71 stop rares haul in Elite

for some reason im feeling the pull of Wargame Red Dragon so there might be some of that too, once i reacquaint myself with the decks, or maybe some plain ALB
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MetalDog on January 23, 2015, 07:15:50 AM
Quote from: bob48 on January 23, 2015, 07:01:03 AM
^Sorry MD, but we have visitors for Sunday lunch so I wont be on until early evening :-(

Been getting into Planetary Annihilation. Its OK but I am finding the battles are getting a bit repetitive and predictable, although I am only playing solo mode.

It's alright, bob.  I am used to being disappointed by others :P
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: bob48 on January 23, 2015, 07:21:11 AM
Awww :'(

However, we may still be able to get some of our AoW game in later?
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Gusington on January 23, 2015, 07:24:57 AM
Battle Academy 2 - Eastern Front and perhaps some Company of Heroes 2. To be honest the former has grabbed me much more than the latter did.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: bbmike on January 23, 2015, 07:36:25 AM
I may restart my SCII Pacific campaign. If the PoN patch gets released I may start a new game of that. I also plan to try Star Wars Rebellion to see what all the fuss is about.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Shelldrake on January 23, 2015, 07:41:22 AM
More mindless fun with Armoured Princess. I have a hankering for some RPG time so I may spend some time with Oblivion. For strategy gaming it will be Endless Space or Empire Total War. This should keep me busy and out of trouble!  ;D

Gus, if COH2 is not grabbing you try COH with the Blitzkrieg mod.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Barthheart on January 23, 2015, 08:15:53 AM
This weekend is boardgaming with my 6 buddies at our annual Winter Guyz weekend.

4 hr drive to TO followed by Thai food and Halo, 3 or 4 or Reach, and table top video game Tempest and much beer tonight.
Boardgames, Sergeants Miniatures Game, DVG's Modern Naval Battles, Munchkin, Frag!, Wings of War, and more Halo and Tempest all day tomorrow with lots more beer.
Sunday some short boardgames and a 4hr drive home.

I'll try to get some un-blurry pics posted.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Anguille on January 23, 2015, 08:32:27 AM
Have a busy weekend ahead (invitations home and outside). Still I want to:

- Complete the Japanese Incentive campaign. I believe that there's only one chapter left which I will start tonight.

- Play some Star Wars: Rebellion or Star Wars: Galactic Battleground or Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis.

- Continue my campaign in cough Lords of the cough black sun cough  :crazy2:. Bought it this week on steam for 10 bucks. I guess if I play 10 hours of it (already 1), it will be worth it.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Shelldrake on January 23, 2015, 08:47:25 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on January 23, 2015, 08:15:53 AM
This weekend is boardgaming with my 6 buddies at our annual Winter Guyz weekend.

4 hr drive to TO followed by Thai food and Halo, 3 or 4 or Reach, and table top video game Tempest and much beer tonight.
Boardgames, Sergeants Miniatures Game, DVG's Modern Naval Battles, Munchkin, Frag!, Wings of War, and more Halo and Tempest all day tomorrow with lots more beer.
Sunday some short boardgames and a 4hr drive home.

I'll try to get some un-blurry pics posted.

Sounds like a great time. Almost makes me wish I still lived in TO!
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: tgb on January 23, 2015, 08:50:51 AM
SW:Rebellion and Blackguards 2 for sure, perhaps some Hell.  I may check out the new beta for GalCiv 3 that dropped this week.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: JasonPratt on January 23, 2015, 08:57:46 AM
Continue puzzling out how to win WW1 as Russia in Darkest Hour. (Using the "AAR" mod should certainly help; I'm not convinced it's possible to keep from being wiped out early as Russia in vanilla DH Full.)

I have a bit of a hankering to find out what the state of Ultimate General: Gettysburg is. It was already very good when I got it at release, but the devs were so great about fixing and updating it every week that I basically dropped out to let them work on it for a while. Haven't seen an upgrade recently, so...!

Not sure what else I'll mess with yet.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Nefaro on January 23, 2015, 09:03:22 AM
Insurgency, Naval Action, and War Thunder multi-player.

A Sunday excursion on the Rise Of Flight Syndicate server.

Voidexpanse and SW:Rebellion need to be shoehorned in there soon.


Lastly, I have many new shinies for the tabletop.  So if I get confused as to all the above, I can just go old school with space piracy, frozen zombiepocalypses, and trying to weasel my way up the Napoleonic military ladder.



These are great days we're livin in, bros.  We're jolly green giants walking the earth.  With guns.  :)
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MengJiao on January 23, 2015, 09:24:58 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 23, 2015, 09:03:22 AM
Insurgency, Naval Action, and War Thunder multi-player.

A Sunday excursion on the Rise Of Flight Syndicate server.

Voidexpanse and SW:Rebellion need to be shoehorned in there soon.


Lastly, I have many new shinies for the tabletop.  So if I get confused as to all the above, I can just go old school with space piracy, frozen zombiepocalypses, and trying to weasel my way up the Napoleonic military ladder.



These are great days we're livin in, bros.  We're jolly green giants walking the earth.  With guns.  :)


  This is probably the closest to what I'll be doing:  maybe some RoF, DCS, and definitely some CMANO and WitPAE PBEM and maybe some boardgames and FarCry3.  I might even get the train simulator. 

  Oh, and this just in from Wikipedia:  The early Charlie-class Russian nuclear-powered subs used an anti ship (or nuke) missile the
SS-N-7 Starbright.  I'm going to see if those work at least as antiship missiles in a late 60s environment.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Kushan on January 23, 2015, 09:32:40 AM
Come down with a bug so my usual sick day standbys are on deck;Distant Worlds, EUIV, or Skyrim. Depending on how I'm feeling the rest of the weekend I have some Command OOB work to do and maybe some flights in my Carenado PC-12 in Prepar3D. If schedules can be coordinated maybe some AOW3 MP with MetalDog.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Shelldrake on January 23, 2015, 09:45:57 AM
Quote from: Kushan on January 23, 2015, 09:32:40 AM
Come down with a bug so my usual sick day standbys are on deck; ]Distant Worlds[/b], EUIV, or Skyrim. Depending on how I'm feeling the rest of the weekend I have some Command OOB work to do and maybe some flights in my Carenado PC-12 in Prepar3D. If schedules can be coordinated maybe some AOW3 MP with MetalDog.

Hope you feel better soon Kushan.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Gusington on January 23, 2015, 10:29:49 AM
Feel better Kushan. Lots of germs flying around here and now some snow for.tomorrow...good setup for some East Front gaming :)

Shell I have both the original CoH and the Blitzkrieg mod sitting around here somewhere.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 23, 2015, 10:40:44 AM
Gary Grigsby's War in the West, for sure. Not certain what else. Last night I played a game of Plague, Inc. and got the brilliant/dumb idea to start an STD with GH ties and start an AAR about it.  :-[
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Barthheart on January 23, 2015, 10:41:59 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 23, 2015, 10:40:44 AM
Gary Grigsby's War in the West, for sure. Not certain what else. Last night I played a game of Plague, Inc. and got the brilliant/dumb idea to start an STD with GH ties and start an AAR about it.  :-[

Plague  Inc. is a brilliant little game. I've played it for hours on my iPad.

See here too:
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=1891.0
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Nefaro on January 23, 2015, 10:42:04 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on January 23, 2015, 09:24:58 AM


  Oh, and this just in from Wikipedia:  The early Charlie-class Russian nuclear-powered subs used an anti ship (or nuke) missile the
SS-N-7 Starbright.  I'm going to see if those work at least as antiship missiles in a late 60s environment.

Didn't they have to be surfaced to launch them?
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 23, 2015, 10:46:22 AM
I don't honestly know.

Perhaps
Fleet Commander Nimitz boardgame
F1 2013
Elite:Dangerous

I have a hankering for getting back into DCS but I have no idea what..A-10, Ka-50 (I do love choppers), Mig-21. I need to choose one and fly it - too much switching about makes it impossible to stay with the sim. I think, though I love copters, it'll have to be the A-10 simply because I'm not enamored with the Ka-50 and the amount of weaponry it can carry.

But I need alot of dedicated time. I do have my startup sheet for the A-10 - and I tried it a month or so ago and fired it up beautifully...so I could be in there.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: tgb on January 23, 2015, 10:51:48 AM
A new Beta build for Sovereignty just dropped unexpectedly, so I will try to shoehorn some time in.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MengJiao on January 23, 2015, 11:50:49 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 23, 2015, 10:42:04 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on January 23, 2015, 09:24:58 AM


  Oh, and this just in from Wikipedia:  The early Charlie-class Russian nuclear-powered subs used an anti ship (or nuke) missile the
SS-N-7 Starbright.  I'm going to see if those work at least as antiship missiles in a late 60s environment.

Didn't they have to be surfaced to launch them?

  According to Wikipedia, the Echo class had to surface to fire the Shaddock  -- but the Charlie class could fire its 8 (or really only 6 since 2 were nukes) Starbrights from 30 meters down.  The Starbright had a much shorter range, but firing submerged probably would have made it more effective -- though I guess I'll see.  I suppose I should run the same scenario a few times with Echos and a few times with Charlies.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Sir Slash on January 23, 2015, 12:15:16 PM
Very busy weekend so probably just Skyrim-- cleaning out the Skooma Dealers in Riften. Too much Skooma makes you look like this. :crazy2:
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Nefaro on January 23, 2015, 12:51:03 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 23, 2015, 10:46:22 AM
I think, though I love copters, it'll have to be the A-10 simply because I'm not enamored with the Ka-50 and the amount of weaponry it can carry.



Are you kidding?  The Vikhr AT missles are great, easy to use, and you can carry a buttload of them.  They may not be as fancy as Mavericks but you'll get more bang for the weight and it can be fun locking ground targets and spiralling them out from range.  I don't leave home without them, even in the Su-25T. 

My biggest issue with the Black Shark is the backwards ass autopilot trim system mixed with the previous issue of the joystick still being active after you enable it at the spot you want.  The latter part was fixed in an update - there is a checkbox to allow you time to ease off the stick after setting the trim.  Still takes getting used to because it seems all backwards to me; having to hold down the button to temporarily turn that autopilot trim OFF instead of just being an ON/OFF toggle.  Being always on unless you temporarily force it to stop.  Chalk it up to Russian thinking.  ;D
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 23, 2015, 01:09:17 PM
The trim was and still is the thing that throws me from the Ka-50. Oh - and when I said "the amount of weaponry it can carry"...I was referring to that being a positive and the A-10...I wasn't suggesting the Ka-50 didn't carry a lot of gear - it does. But control gets me everytime and I always seem to fight the Shark.

I had forgotten I had the Su-25 actually. Maybe I could take that one....but...my love is with the Hog.  >:D
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: steve58 on January 23, 2015, 04:22:09 PM
Probably some Hegemony Rome The Rise of Caesar and also some Infinfactory (http://store.steampowered.com/app/300570/)...an impulse/instabuy for me once I saw it was from the makers of SpaceChem.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Cyrano on January 23, 2015, 04:51:24 PM
DC: Case Blue with Doug...who just finished whooping my Rooskies in Flashpoint Campaigns...

This will, of course, require Doug and I to play another game...

Naval Action

Ogre: Deluxe Edition demo at a local game store, if the scheduling works out, otherwise I'm just going to play a lot of Ogre, which isn't a bad thing...

Warfighter must happen.

King of New York and Memoir '44 with the family

Continue to debate with myself if I will purchase WWIIE or wait until it exits what appears to amount to BETA.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Gusington on January 23, 2015, 06:52:05 PM
Steve what do you think of Hegemony: Rise of Rome? I bought it @ the Steam Xmas Orgy but haven't touched it yet because of Rome II.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MetalDog on January 23, 2015, 07:05:12 PM
Quote from: bob48 on January 23, 2015, 07:21:11 AM
Awww :'(

However, we may still be able to get some of our AoW game in later?

Sounds good.  As usual, if you see me on, ping me.  There's a good chance I am not doing much of anything.  Even if I am in game ;)  You, too, Kushan.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Toonces on January 23, 2015, 09:04:23 PM
I'm gonna stick with my staples of CK2 and Morrowind.  I'm on quite a roll with this playthrough as Scotland.

I might break out Talisman that I picked up on Humble Bundle as well.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: JasonPratt on January 23, 2015, 10:19:42 PM
Ultimate Gettysburg was still just fine, but after restarting the campaign (and messing around a little with a game I beat a couple of years ago, Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters, which aside from not being able to fly at will is quite a great adaptation of the property, light-years better than the film it sequelizes), I decided to try something in the library I hadn't opened yet: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. Started with the DLC prequel mission which was naturally a bit confusing since I didn't know how to play it at all, but after being cheaply killed by a charging elite whasihoosis (though I was doing well up to then, a good 20 minutes into the mission) I restarted the campaign properly.

True, yes, it isn't X-Com gameplay, but it's Brothers In Arms (another series I've been meaning to get back to) plus X-Comish elements plus the 50s, so I'm happy.  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Bison on January 23, 2015, 11:09:59 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 23, 2015, 06:54:45 AM
^ Got FE a couple of weeks ago.  Played some and see it's similar to a fantasy Civ, but, it's not really grabbing me like I want it to.  What's your secret?

I will definitely try some more Fallen Enchantress and Skyrim this weekend.  And if any of my MP partners are about, some Warlock or Age of WOnders III.

I'm not sure there is a secret.   I just think that it's developed into a well made 4X game. 
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MetalDog on January 24, 2015, 12:40:33 AM
Well, it's entirely too soon for me to judge.  And I am playing on the easiest setting.  Speaking of Civ, played a quick game of BtS.  I say quick because I quit, I'm sorry, retired, about a hundred and forty Turns in.  Seems to be what most of my solo Civ's have been like in the past couple of months.  It's ok though.  I'm learning.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Blucher on January 24, 2015, 02:04:08 AM
War in the East mostly. I am thinking of starting a game of Icewind Dale 2 which is in my RPG backlog.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 24, 2015, 04:01:51 AM
Seems I won't be playing F1 2013 anymore.

Starting a new career after completing one simply puts you back where you were. I'm listed 16th in the driver rankings and Maldonado is 14th...and I kicked his arse last series.

I think my Williams team came 4th or 5th with me around 8th in the drivers. So why am I listed as 16th in the season start rankings?

What a disappointment. The one time I finish a career in an F1 game and there's no apparent progression. :'(
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: JasonPratt on January 24, 2015, 09:31:02 AM
I thought I should take a moment to clarify that my resolution to (mostly) avoid buying new games this year, does not extend to DLC.

This clarification has been brought to you by the new Operation Star DLCs which released yesterday.

(Though I haven't bought those yet. I'm just saying.  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/336850

http://store.steampowered.com/app/336851
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Skwerl on January 24, 2015, 01:20:57 PM
So far for me it's a mixed bag:

Grid Autosport
Omerta City of Gangsters
Making History - The Calm and the Storm
Last Federation


Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 24, 2015, 02:05:39 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on January 24, 2015, 09:31:02 AM
I thought I should take a moment to clarify that my resolution to (mostly) avoid buying new games this year, does not extend to DLC.

This clarification has been brought to you by the new Operation Star DLCs which released yesterday.

(Though I haven't bought those yet. I'm just saying.  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/336850

http://store.steampowered.com/app/336851

Those did not release yesterday. They released a few weeks ago.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MetalDog on January 24, 2015, 02:23:21 PM
Lost another Civ IV BtS solo.  Got 300 Turns in, Justinian asked me to go to war with Bismarck.  I agreed as Bis was the same tech level as me.  The very next turn, Pacal declared on me.  He was bigger, with better tech and a larger army.  Time to bail.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Gusington on January 24, 2015, 03:27:06 PM
Bail? Come on. FIGHT!
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MetalDog on January 24, 2015, 03:38:20 PM
I don't need the stress of a foregone conclusion.  I don't mind the losing so much if I know I am going to have my head handed to me.  I'm not going to stick around to watch it though.  I would rather just win ;)
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Gusington on January 24, 2015, 05:20:45 PM
FIGHT!!!
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MetalDog on January 24, 2015, 05:48:26 PM
Not gonna happen.  Thanks for the encouragement though.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: undercovergeek on January 24, 2015, 06:16:29 PM
my heart swells with pride at Gus' spirit - he turned his Armenia campaign round from disaster to glory when others would have pressed the quit button

come on MD - fight back
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 24, 2015, 06:35:33 PM
Don't listen to 'em Metal!

Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MetalDog on January 24, 2015, 06:36:37 PM
Continuing to fight for my five remaining cities would end very quickly.  Nice try though guys.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Bison on January 24, 2015, 06:37:22 PM
Wuss. 
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Gusington on January 24, 2015, 06:46:19 PM
^Yeah really.

I saved Moscow from the Nazi onslaught this afternoon in Battle Academy...if I can do it, so can you. And like UCG said...after almost getting snuffed out as Armenia...I even turned that around.

FIGHT!!
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MetalDog on January 24, 2015, 06:52:19 PM
Well, they took all my cities.  Thanks for the encouragement guys, but it was to no avail.  Next time I am in a hopeless situation that I am sure won't change, I will remember the encouragement and good advice I got from my friends.  Thanks, guys :)
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Bison on January 24, 2015, 06:53:17 PM
I'm currently fighting an uphill battle in Fallen Enchantress.  I'm 5th ranked in terms of power, but I just held off a full on onslaught from the #2 and #3 powers and annex a couple of cities and some strategic resource outposts.  Currently gearing up to take out the 8th rank power and make a serious push to take more land from the #2 power.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Bison on January 24, 2015, 06:54:09 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 24, 2015, 06:52:19 PM
Well, they took all my cities.  Thanks for the encouragement guys, but it was to no avail.  Next time I am in a hopeless situation that I am sure won't change, I will remember the encouragement and good advice I got from my friends.  Thanks, guys :)

Reload!  And try again!
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Gusington on January 24, 2015, 06:59:21 PM
'Reloading' can be described another way as a tactical regrouping :)
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Bison on January 24, 2015, 07:00:43 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 24, 2015, 06:59:21 PM
'Reloading' can be described another way as a tactical regrouping :)

Exactly.  I just don't want dog developing an "I'm a loser complex" that he covers up with passive aggressive behaviors is all.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MetalDog on January 24, 2015, 07:01:38 PM
The only lost causes in my life are my decisions on women to date.  The rest, I kick on down the road.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: undercovergeek on January 24, 2015, 07:04:53 PM
we went philosophical waaaay too quick!
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MetalDog on January 24, 2015, 07:08:09 PM
Is there REALLY any other way?  In any event, I am going to fire up another game here in a few.  See what comes of it.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: undercovergeek on January 24, 2015, 07:09:51 PM
imagine all the pixeltruppen are Gus, you come to love and cherish the little fellas
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Ubercat on January 24, 2015, 07:32:41 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 24, 2015, 06:54:09 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 24, 2015, 06:52:19 PM
Well, they took all my cities.  Thanks for the encouragement guys, but it was to no avail.  Next time I am in a hopeless situation that I am sure won't change, I will remember the encouragement and good advice I got from my friends.  Thanks, guys :)

Reload!  And try again!

+1 Take it from Ministry!
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Gusington on January 24, 2015, 08:09:51 PM
^Wow that came out of nowhere. Nicely done!
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Toonces on January 24, 2015, 08:34:32 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 24, 2015, 07:08:09 PM
Is there REALLY any other way?  In any event, I am going to fire up another game here in a few.  See what comes of it.

Sounds like you're hot for another try!
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MetalDog on January 24, 2015, 08:50:51 PM
I have Civilization Revolutions for my Nintendo DS.  It's a poor port of Civ, but, the higher levels of it correlate to my attempts to master Monarch level proficiency.  And prepared me for the fast pace of the game.  Gone are the days of agonizing over every move.  It's not formulaic, but feel.  And a healthy dose of military units ;)
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Sir Slash on January 24, 2015, 10:20:10 PM
You didn't lose MD. You came in second. No shame there man.  8)
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MetalDog on January 24, 2015, 10:28:01 PM
THAT is an awesome way to look at it:)  I accept that.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: JasonPratt on January 24, 2015, 10:33:52 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 24, 2015, 02:05:39 PM
Those did not release yesterday. They released a few weeks ago.

Yeesh, I am just not batting well this week am I?  :uglystupid2: :buck2:

BUT I HAVEN'T BOUGHT ANYTHING NEW THIS WEEK AT LEAST!

(...pretty sure Warlock 2 was last week... :-[ then again my concept of time is clearly not arglebarglewarglegarble.  ::))
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Gusington on January 24, 2015, 11:19:56 PM
^Have a drink.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Toonces on January 24, 2015, 11:48:00 PM
What a pain in the ass.

So I'm in this dungeon (Morrowind) and I use my last levitation potion to reach a door to get farther into the dungeon.  I am going through that and, while swimming underwater I come across a door.  Come up, take a deep breath, dive down, pick the lock and get to another part of the dungeon.  Defeat the mysto skeleton thingy with some creative spell use and healing potions and then loot the crap out of the dungeon and get some fat lootz.  Backtrack and explore the previous chamber, and after several minutes of searching I realize that to get anywhere farther I've got to levitate again.

Damn!

Use a scroll of intervention that puts me back at Gnisis.  From there take the Stilt Rider back to Seya Deen, and then Silt Rider backtrack to Balmora.  Now I've got to unload my excess gear, search out a merchant that can spot me some levitation potions or scrolls, and then laboriously make my way back to the dungeon.

We're talking a good 30 minutes of real time to get back to where I left off.

So I logged and I'm gonna play something else for a while.  What a hassle.   ::)
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Gusington on January 25, 2015, 12:06:40 AM
^Have a drink.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 25, 2015, 01:52:55 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 24, 2015, 10:28:01 PM
THAT is an awesome way to look at it:)  I accept that.

Second place is first loser. Congrats.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MetalDog on January 25, 2015, 09:17:18 AM
Right.  Because you win every game you play.  :P
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Gusington on January 25, 2015, 09:50:18 AM
Gentlemen...no fighting in the war [gaming forum] room!
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Bison on January 25, 2015, 10:08:49 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 25, 2015, 09:17:18 AM
Right.  Because you win every game you play.  :P

Some times the more difficult strategic and tactical situations I find myself in go into a planning that phase that lasts months and sometimes even years.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MetalDog on January 25, 2015, 10:11:38 AM
So you're saying that it takes you longer to lose?
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Bison on January 25, 2015, 10:34:35 AM
I don't know.  The question of victory or defeat has yet to be answered.  :)
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Gusington on January 25, 2015, 10:41:20 AM
Only fools rush in.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Toonces on January 25, 2015, 01:40:13 PM
Easy come, easy go.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Toonces on January 25, 2015, 01:44:04 PM
Ok, this took me a while, but Jarhead, is your avatar from The Shining?
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: undercovergeek on January 25, 2015, 01:51:55 PM
You're a week too late man!!

Less surfing, more reading
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Gusington on January 25, 2015, 02:46:37 PM
^HA yeah really.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 25, 2015, 02:49:25 PM
Quote from: Toonces on January 25, 2015, 01:44:04 PM
Ok, this took me a while, but Jarhead, is your avatar from The Shining?

Sure is. It's from the scene where Danny is using the shining to reach out to Dick Holloran for help. Classic imagery,
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Gusington on January 25, 2015, 02:57:07 PM
And classic Scatman. That guy was great.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn3.sbnation.com%2Fimported_assets%2F1058468%2Fscatman-crothers.jpg&hash=f95d3eb7f4264d35431c269d3b2dd8569f5b4665)
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Sir Slash on January 25, 2015, 03:48:16 PM
Was that after he had a drink? Because I looked like that one time after I had a drink... and then realized that I had walked out to the mailbox without my pants on. So then I had to have another drink in order not to care about it. How come we don't have an emote with a drink in his hand?
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Gusington on January 25, 2015, 03:59:43 PM
It's proper etiquette to wear pants when getting the mail?
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Sir Slash on January 25, 2015, 05:07:17 PM
My mail person is female and easily excitable so....
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Gusington on January 25, 2015, 06:31:17 PM
That makes a difference?
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Staggerwing on January 25, 2015, 06:36:26 PM
Depends on how excitable the mail lady makes Sir Slash.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Sir Slash on January 25, 2015, 11:01:03 PM
No, she gets around too much for me.  :2funny:
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 26, 2015, 07:51:37 AM
I got in some War in the West this weekend...holy crap that's a detailed game. Every time I play it I find something new that has to be discussed so I'm fairly intimidated to do an effective review of it.

To ease the pain I did get in some Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Never played it back in the day. So far it's pretty simplistic with very little challenge, but as so many say this is one of the best games ever I will stick with it. I didn't get to MOO 1/2 or SW: Rebellion, but what else is new?
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MengJiao on January 26, 2015, 10:22:58 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on January 23, 2015, 09:24:58 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 23, 2015, 09:03:22 AM
Insurgency, Naval Action, and War Thunder multi-player.

A Sunday excursion on the Rise Of Flight Syndicate server.

Voidexpanse and SW:Rebellion need to be shoehorned in there soon.


Lastly, I have many new shinies for the tabletop.  So if I get confused as to all the above, I can just go old school with space piracy, frozen zombiepocalypses, and trying to weasel my way up the Napoleonic military ladder.



These are great days we're livin in, bros.  We're jolly green giants walking the earth.  With guns.  :)


  This is probably the closest to what I'll be doing:  maybe some RoF, DCS, and definitely some CMANO and WitPAE PBEM and maybe some boardgames and FarCry3.  I might even get the train simulator. 

  Oh, and this just in from Wikipedia:  The early Charlie-class Russian nuclear-powered subs used an anti ship (or nuke) missile the
SS-N-7 Starbright.  I'm going to see if those work at least as antiship missiles in a late 60s environment.

  So what really happened in the world of games this week-end?

  1) The Starbright (at least in CMANO) is totally lethal.  I'm not sure how targeting it would have really worked in the real world, but in the world of CMANO in 1969, it sinks ex-RN frigates in the Portuguese Navy with no trouble at all
  2) WIPAE PBEM:  things are getting complicated -- the Long Lance is proving pretty dangerous for my ships
  3) Train Simulator 2015:  the reviews on Steam that I happened to read were so negative that it seemed to me it must be a great game, it has been pretty fun, though with lots of mysterious this and that which might be seen as bugs or updates or the unexpected effects of different route DLC on each other.  Some Locomotives appear out of the ether and others have lost their paint -- until you drop them into the game -- then they are okay but the HUDs are transmorgrified .  I'm not saying those are bad things.  I'm just sayin'....
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 26, 2015, 10:44:10 AM
Started F1 2013 and came out a bit annoyed that my progression from the previous season didn't seem to carry over...so I think I'll be waiting on 2014 before I get into it again. I do have F1 2014 and I might play that until the real F1 2014 comes out.

Fleet Commander:Nimitz got an outing. Got my first battle (Marshall Islands or Gilbert Islands). There was a Jap Cruiser and Destroyer and a Battalion landing facing off against the Enterprise, 2 Cruisers and a Destroyer and the 1st Marine landing.

By the end of the two turn battle, the US troops were landed and ready to engage (in their foxholes). The Japanese Battalion also landed but the 2 Jap ships were sunk by the TBD's and SBD and the F4F's strafed and effectively destroyed one battalion.

So we've landed but it's still contested.

I also played a little bit of Shadow of Mordor

That was it really. I thought about firing other things up, but couldn't be bothered...and I was out at a wedding all day Saturday anyway...so it was a short gaming weekend for me anyway.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: undercovergeek on January 26, 2015, 12:11:41 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 26, 2015, 10:44:10 AM
Started F1 2013 and came out a bit annoyed that my progression from the previous season didn't seem to carry over...so I think I'll be waiting on 2014 before I get into it again. I do have F1 2014 and I might play that until the real F1 2014 comes out.

Fleet Commander:Nimitz got an outing. Got my first battle (Marshall Islands or Gilbert Islands). There was a Jap Cruiser and Destroyer and a Battalion landing facing off against the Enterprise, 2 Cruisers and a Destroyer and the 1st Marine landing.

By the end of the two turn battle, the US troops were landed and ready to engage (in their foxholes). The Japanese Battalion also landed but the 2 Jap ships were sunk by the TBD's and SBD and the F4F's strafed and effectively destroyed one battalion.

So we've landed but it's still contested.

I also played a little bit of Shadow of Mordor

That was it really. I thought about firing other things up, but couldn't be bothered...and I was out at a wedding all day Saturday anyway...so it was a short gaming weekend for me anyway.

i would have thought progression was the essence of the game - is it a bug?
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 26, 2015, 01:26:00 PM
I have no idea. But I'm listed as 16th even though I finished 6th or 7th or something in the previous season. And my team mate Maldonado finished 15th and he's listed as 15th or 14th

I had thought progression of the car had stayed as the performance felt good...however, after qualy 2, I found myself down in 14th...about the same as the previous season.

I think I did see some "blurb" at the beginning of my second season saying Williams were looking forward to me building on last season...but nothing at all felt lie it had stayed from the previous season. And I certainly shouldn't have been listed as 16th. Williams finished quite high in the constructors championship - at least mid table so they should've been ranked higher second season.

So no - I didn't get any indication at all that season progression was there.

During my last season, I was offered certain contracts, but I decided to stay where I was. Perhaps most people accept one of the newer contracts.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Nefaro on January 26, 2015, 05:34:37 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on January 26, 2015, 10:22:58 AM


  So what really happened in the world of games this week-end?




I did actually play a little Insurgency but not a lot.  Instead, I filled some of that time with Running With Rifles multi-player.



The largest amount of gaming went to Naval Action and Mount & Blade: Napoleonic Wars.   There was a ship-ton of Napoleonic warfare multi-player for me and I greatly enjoyed every bit of it.  O0  Think I will do some again tonight!  Had forgot how damn much fun Napoleonic Wars multi-player is!


For some reason my Nvidia ShadowPlay refused to record Naval Action but I did get some fun M&B Napoleonic siege mode footage to post.  There was much bayoneting.  ^-^ 
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Toonces on January 26, 2015, 08:16:41 PM
I fired up some DCS: MiG-21bis....holy crap is that a detailed jet.  Very tough to wrap my head around some of the stuff in that cockpit.  It's not intuitive.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 26, 2015, 10:23:45 PM
Quote from: Toonces on January 26, 2015, 08:16:41 PM
I fired up some DCS: MiG-21bis....holy crap is that a detailed jet.  Very tough to wrap my head around some of the stuff in that cockpit.  It's not intuitive.

Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Toonces on January 26, 2015, 11:04:40 PM
^ Ha!  Exactly!   :D
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Kushan on January 27, 2015, 12:15:16 AM
I didn't play a thing this weekend. All my free time was spent working on Command scenario OOBs. I got the Luftwaffe, French Air Force, and the RAF all laid out in Google earth. Going to get them converted into the game this week, then I can start the naval forces OOB.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MengJiao on January 27, 2015, 09:42:04 AM
Quote from: Toonces on January 26, 2015, 08:16:41 PM
I fired up some DCS: MiG-21bis....holy crap is that a detailed jet.  Very tough to wrap my head around some of the stuff in that cockpit.  It's not intuitive.

  The Mig21 is my current favorite plane to fly in the DCS editor.  I had a notebook going about it (with notes like: its the 4th little button on the top of the radar controls), and at one point I could get some information out of the radar, but I think I'm going work on the Mig15 when it comes out before going back to the 21.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Nefaro on January 27, 2015, 11:51:31 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on January 27, 2015, 09:42:04 AM


  The Mig21 is my current favorite plane to fly in the DCS editor.


That kinda sums up the DCS experience.  It's more like flying a flight sim editor.  :D
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: MengJiao on January 27, 2015, 11:55:13 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 27, 2015, 11:51:31 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on January 27, 2015, 09:42:04 AM


  The Mig21 is my current favorite plane to fly in the DCS editor.


That kinda sums up the DCS experience.  It's more like flying a flight sim editor.  :D

  Very true.  But that's fine with me.  These days I play most games more or less in the editor:  CMANO, Train Simulator 2015, DCS,
CMFI, ARMAIII/3.

  The only games I play much outside the editor these days are WitpAe and Rome II
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Skoop on January 27, 2015, 01:03:38 PM
The 21 was a tough challenge to fly, the YouTube videos helped a bunch.  Also some of the key weapon toggles I put to my hotas as well as the radar buttons.  Once I did that I became really capable in that thing.  It actually drove me to create more of my own scenarios so I was flying in a more believable 1980s style setting.
Title: Re: Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub
Post by: Martok on February 04, 2015, 02:16:33 PM
I know I'm absurdly late to this thread, but I spent that weekend on a Star Wars kick.  Thanks to the "new" releases on GOG, what few free hours I had were indulged playing either Rogue Squadron or Empire at War.  Good times! 




Quote from: Anguille on January 23, 2015, 08:32:27 AM
- Continue my campaign in cough Lords of the cough black sun cough  :crazy2:. Bought it this week on steam for 10 bucks. I guess if I play 10 hours of it (already 1), it will be worth it.
What do you think so far?  I'll admit that despite everything, I remain somewhat curious about this one. 




Quote from: tgb on January 23, 2015, 10:51:48 AM
A new Beta build for Sovereignty just dropped unexpectedly, so I will try to shoehorn some time in.
Hmm... 




Quote from: Bison on January 24, 2015, 06:53:17 PM
I'm currently fighting an uphill battle in Fallen Enchantress.  I'm 5th ranked in terms of power, but I just held off a full on onslaught from the #2 and #3 powers and annex a couple of cities and some strategic resource outposts.  Currently gearing up to take out the 8th rank power and make a serious push to take more land from the #2 power.
Nice!  Which Sovereign/faction have you been playing as?