I picked this RTS up on impulse last night, and so far I'm pretty impressed. Its a traditional base building RTS, so right off the bat that may turn a bunch of you off, but its very polished and very well done. The campaign is broken up into mission separated by some very well done cut-scenes. The races, especially the "Grey Goo" are very unique. The Goo is like a blob that harvests resources by consuming enemy units and structures. I've never seen anything quite like it in a game. The Beta race is cool too...they are tough and when speaking in English, they speak with SOuth African accents, making them sound even tougher.
Anyway, just thought I would mention it because from its name, its really easy to pass over. I did not think it was a serious sci fi RTS until I looked a little more closely.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi2.wp.com%2Fwww.cgmeetup.net%2Fhome%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F01%2FGrey-Goo-Launch-Trailer-2.jpg%3Fresize%3D640%252C360&hash=41861ee7ebdefbf971a5e11af2dde6a6c0b5c67f)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamingdragons.com%2Fimages%2Fgame_img%2Fscreenshots%2Fgrey-goopc%2F536578345645637%2520%282%29.jpg&hash=f1f1cb2220303f5c01460c6716371cfbb1479c7e)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.supergameplay.com.br%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F01%2FGrey_Goo.jpg&hash=34bd18e3cc510b68509de7b1ec681c1251f4ee35)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fassets1.ignimgs.com%2Fvid%2Fthumbnails%2Fuser%2F2014%2F03%2F13%2Fgreygoosethumb.jpg&hash=26a5e49c8609f96f4b6f9b809a2d28a73383a0f6)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcgames.de%2Fscreenshots%2Foriginal%2F2015%2F01%2Fgrey_goo_test_0009-pc-games.jpg&hash=921388d024c2e0b9b8679ff3ad960dd9f784c371)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi2.wp.com%2Fwww.cgmeetup.net%2Fhome%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F01%2FGrey-Goo-Launch-Trailer-1.jpg%3Fresize%3D960%252C407&hash=dd63ab623da9abd6167d03240cbb75a6529c6ab9)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi0.wp.com%2Fwww.cgmeetup.net%2Fhome%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F01%2FGrey-Goo-Launch-Trailer-6.jpg%3Fresize%3D960%252C407&hash=a594dab62efb5da701f5f9eed732c12691cf4516)
Looks interesting. Generally sci-fi is not my thing but I'm still enjoying XCOM so I might check this one out. I assume it's on Steam? And what are your gameplay impressions so far?
Quote from: trek on January 24, 2015, 12:23:41 PM
Looks interesting. Generally sci-fi is not my thing but I'm still enjoying XCOM so I might check this one out. I assume it's on Steam? And what are your gameplay impressions so far?
Game play is good, but very traditional RTS. The maps are beautiful, but pretty tight and confined. I'm still unlocking tech and weapons so it is opening up. So far, it is still build up as many forces as possible and overwhelm the enemy, so don't expect anything new in terms of overall strategy.
Also, I'd like to mention that on top of the campaign and MP modes, there is a skirmish option.
I think this might be where they got the name from:
http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/46f96dea5b30c
Noticed Angry Joe had some single- and multi-player vids of this up today. Haven't watched 'em yet.
Quote from: Skwerl on January 24, 2015, 01:07:34 PM
I think this might be where they got the name from:
http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/46f96dea5b30c
It is...its an end of world scenario. I had never heard of it either...
it's a somewhat well known sci-fi trope. Same with "pink goo" type scenarios ala Greg Bear's Blood Music - unstoppable assimilating biological replication - great short story btw. I think he made it into a novella as well.
That said, I think it is a poor naming choice even if it dovetails with the metamorphic faction as well as resonates with some old school hard sf devotes. I guess a positive would be at least you know some marketing suits didn't have their hand to far in this pie.
Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on January 24, 2015, 02:41:01 PM
it's a somewhat well known sci-fi trope. Same with "pink goo" type scenarios ala Greg Bear's Blood Music - unstoppable assimilating biological replication - great short story btw. I think he made it into a novella as well.
Actually a full-blown novel, and it's a great read.
I'm interested in this, but might wait for it to go on sale. Base building has never been exactly my cup of nano-replicators.
RTS equals a no go for me. Not a fan of button mashing or trying to out cycle a multi-core cpu. Even if it looks good. :coolsmiley:
looks very old school in a good way on some lets play vids
Quote from: Capn Darwin on January 24, 2015, 04:14:59 PM
RTS equals a no go for me. Not a fan of button mashing or trying to out cycle a multi-core cpu. Even if it looks good. :coolsmiley:
Yeah RTS isn't really my thing either.
nice and slow rts is ok, crazy clicking rts is a no go for me too
this looks to be on the nice and slow side - i never got overwhelmed by the C&C stuff but needed WG:ALB to transform into Red Dragon with the time control before i could play it properly
I wouldn't describe this as "nice and slow" it's a good pace on the easiest difficulty level, but even the mid-range AI is very challenging and forces you to constantly pump out units and attack and defend at several locations on the map.
That's what I like most about RTS. There are multiple things going on and your ability to manage them and keep everything moving forward is key. And very satisfying if you can do it.
Yeah saw this on Steam. Not my kind of game but the cinematics are great.
Man, the confederates, the Protoss, and the Tyrannids are looking shiny. ;)
It made me think of StarCraft, as well.