GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: tgb on April 26, 2012, 12:57:45 PM

Title: Team Assault vs. Conflict of Heroes
Post by: tgb on April 26, 2012, 12:57:45 PM
So being in the mood for something new, turn-based, and tactical, I'm torn between getting Team Assault which has been out for about a month, or waiting for CoH, which is supposed to be out any day now.  I'll start by saying I have no experience with the board game, so what I know of CoH comes from the forum and AAR's, and what I know of TA comes from gameplay videos and the just-released manual.  Here's what I'm weighing:

Team Assault - Turn based WWII with battles set in Italy
Conflict of Heroes - Turn based WWI with battles set in.......?????

T A - No campaign, but campaigns to come as DLC/expansion packs
CoH - No campaign, with future plans for ?????

T A - Roll-your own scenarios where player decides map and what forces are in play
CoH - Pre-made scenarios only

T A - Player can micro-manage individual squad members
CoH - Individual squad members not modeled

T A - No reaction fire
CoH - Unknown

T A - No fog of war
CoH - Fog of war optional

T A - $20
CoH - $40

Right now as near as I can tell, both offer essentially the same gaming experience, so I'm leaning towards Team Assault since it's half the price.  However, I realize I might be missing a few things, so if anyone has anything to add, I'm open to suggestions.
Title: Re: Team Assault vs. Conflict of Heroes
Post by: bayonetbrant on April 26, 2012, 01:01:29 PM
COH is the computer port of the platoon-level boardgame.  You're not supposed to manage indiv people at that level
Title: Re: Team Assault vs. Conflict of Heroes
Post by: Barthheart on April 26, 2012, 01:37:26 PM
Quote from: tgb on April 26, 2012, 12:57:45 PM
So being in the mood for something new, turn-based, and tactical, I'm torn between getting Team Assault which has been out for about a month, or waiting for CoH, which is supposed to be out any day now.  I'll start by saying I have no experience with the board game, so what I know of CoH comes from the forum and AAR's, and what I know of TA comes from gameplay videos and the just-released manual.  Here's what I'm weighing:

Team Assault - Turn based WWII with battles set in Italy
Conflict of Heroes - Turn based WWI with battles set in.......?????

CoH is Germans versus Russians early WWII

Quote
T A - No campaign, but campaigns to come as DLC/expansion packs
CoH - No campaign, with future plans for ?????

Future may hold campaigns for CoH

Quote
T A - Roll-your own scenarios where player decides map and what forces are in play
CoH - Pre-made scenarios only

Pretty sure you will be able to built your own in CoH as well.

Quote
T A - Player can micro-manage individual squad members
CoH - Individual squad members not modeled

CoH is squad based not individual based. But vehicles are singles.

Quote
T A - No reaction fire
CoH - Unknown

CoH has reacation fire.

Quote
T A - No fog of war
CoH - Fog of war optional

T A - $20
CoH - $40

Right now as near as I can tell, both offer essentially the same gaming experience, so I'm leaning towards Team Assault since it's half the price.  However, I realize I might be missing a few things, so if anyone has anything to add, I'm open to suggestions.

Like BB said CoH is a direct port of a board game. You can see it here on BGG:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24800/conflict-of-heroes-awakening-the-bear-russia-1941
You can even download teh rules from the publisher's site to see how it plays.

I think the gaming experience will be very different for these two games... enough so that owning both shouldn't be a problem.