Time for my new obsession, Out Of The Park, will be found. Often. There will be Age Of Wonders III in the Multi form. And possibly some Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes or maybe some Skyrim.
Combats Mission Black Sea, ARMA 3 and maybe some more Grey Goo.
Not much free time this weekend but maybe continue Pride of Nations and try Making History The Great War.
I keep rambling on War in the East and Icewind Dale II maybe some France '14
I started the last chapter of Omerta: the japanese incentive and I am on a good way to finish it tonight. Next month, i'll have a new "main" game and will change my avatar accordingly. :)
Otherwise, I think I might play one or two scenarios of my Worldshift campaign.
Finished The Bureau last night; still in a bit of a 3PS mood so I may chew some more on getting through Space Marine.
I still have an actual XCOM:EW campaign to finish someday (I tried the final mission last year but apparently my team is still a bit too squishy, so since I wasn't sure what to do about that other than to switch everyone to mechs and try grinding them up to speed I went for playing something else); or I might poke around at Xenonauts now that they've released the final planned update (though patching on the update will continue). Or I might mess a bit with OpenXcom (the classic game with some bug fixes and fan upgrades). I don't know.
Mostly though I'm planning to finish stat crunching so I can continue my Russian Darkest Hour: AAR campaign (and AAR, not to be confused with "AAR" the name of the mod. ;) )
I have been enjoying The Witcher so will try to get through Chapter 1 this weekend. Probably some Empire Total War for a strategy fix.
Great music choice...! I'm old enough to remember when it came out. Playing Battles from the Bulge. Great game.
Battle Academy 2 and maybe some Company of Heroes 2.
Saw the RPS article on Act of Aggression and booted up Command & Conquer Generals. So underrated.
Quote from: Anguille on January 30, 2015, 08:10:18 AM
... Next month, i'll have a new "main" game and will change my avatar accordingly. :)
Hmm, that's an idea worthy of stealing. :coolsmiley:
Quote from: Rayfer on January 30, 2015, 08:51:34 AM
Great music choice...! I'm old enough to remember when it came out. Playing Battles from the Bulge. Great game.
Thank you, sir!
I'll be spending most of my weekend working on my month long monster scenario for Command. That will broken up by playing ArmA 3, AOW 3 mp with MetalDog, some flights in my PC-12 in Prepar3d and the Distant Worlds Universe - Picard Era v2 mod when its hopefully released on Sunday.
CMBN's Kampgruppe Engel battle 6 "Guardian Angels". A very tough Defend then Exit fight which I hate. Made tougher by the tidal wave of Canadian armor, infantry and arty descending on my position and the screwed-up briefing. You have to shepard several truck convoys across the map to exit also. The briefing states in 3 places there are 4 convoys and in 3 other places there are just 3 convoys. One place says 20 trucks and another says 15. So I'm on turn 20 and the 3rd convoy is exiting and my troops are bugging-out for the exit zone. If there's really another convoy, and it gets massacred, and I lose because of it, I am going to be one upset Engel. :tickedoff:
On my agenda for the weekend is continuing my Union of South Africa campaign in Making History:The Great War, either World of Tanks or Wings Over Flanders Fields to satisfy my blood lust, and then some Scourge of War: Antietam.
I'm seriously doubting it's release, but if it is, Combat Mission:Black Sea
More Shadow of Mordor and I might take a peak at War in the West
I will also be tinkering with Voice Attack - see if I can't get it to recognise my commands!
And lastly - DCS - which one I do not know, but one of Black Shark, A-10 or Mig-21. Whichever one I choose, I intend to stick with for the foreseeable future though.
If I am going to play Fleet Commander:Nimitz this weekend, it'll be a fresh start because the Godzilla Cat attacked my board. Apparently repeated pleas from myself to my wife and kids to NOT allow the cats into the back room when a board game is out goes unheard!
Quote from: Blucher on January 30, 2015, 07:19:43 AM
I keep rambling on War in the East and Icewind Dale II maybe some France '14
My Alienware monstrousity died weeping and beeping -- so I'm shifting to the backup system (its coming up from the basement and going back to the Manloft) and it has a nice installation of France '14 on it IIRC. So I may be playing some of that this weekend.
CM:BS...if it comes.
CM:BN PBEM
Flashpoint PBEM in which Jim slowly learns the art of not being seen...
Still yet more Memoir '44...on the last battle of the basic set...
Legion of Honor...this one would be an hoot six players, I think...
Best,
JIm
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 10:59:47 AM
...
If I am going to play Fleet Commander:Nimitz this weekend, it'll be a fresh start because the Godzilla Cat attacked my board. Apparently repeated pleas from myself to my wife and kids to NOT allow the cats into the back room when a board game is out goes unheard!
;D That's another reason I can't order
Fleet Commander:Nimitz. We have two cats that would also love to play Godzilla in the Pacific!
I'm hoping for a Vassal module at some point.
I'm joining a local gaming group tonight, though I think they're more into games that aren't war-centric. Might be a refreshing change of pace, who knows.
Got a new pair of glasses that came in today...if that's the high point of my week then I'm getting very very old.
Will do some more Gary Grigsby's War in the West over the weekend. I really want to break out Shadows of Brimstone.
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 30, 2015, 11:58:23 AM
I really want to break out Shadows of Brimstone.
Did you finish assembling the minis?
The engineer who will be switching my broadband on isn't coming until next Thursday so I get to stare at my elite icon while all the new beta stuff gets tested, and these fancy new community goals come out - build a space station!!!!!
I opted not to take my free copy of CMBS for beta testing - I couldn't put enough time in and it felt wrong to take a freebie, I have decided to retire as a beta tester, it spoils the game for me, It's like seeing your favourite model without make up on, you get to see all the wrinkles and imperfections that you probably wouldn't have noticed as a player
So as long as tethering my phone is enough to kickstart steam into letting me launch a game, I'll be playing wargame red dragon
Have a great weekend all
Quote from: Nefaro on January 30, 2015, 02:35:07 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 30, 2015, 11:58:23 AM
I really want to break out Shadows of Brimstone.
Did you finish assembling the minis?
Yep, during vacation in December. I laid everything out to dry, then carefully put them back in the box and equally carefully stored the box in my office. Haven't pulled the game out yet, though. :(
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 30, 2015, 02:43:29 PM
The engineer who will be switching my broadband on isn't coming until next Thursday so I get to stare at my elite icon while all the new beta stuff gets tested, and these fancy new community goals come out - build a space station!!!!!
I opted not to take my free copy of CMBS for beta testing - I couldn't put enough time in and it felt wrong to take a freebie, I have decided to retire as a beta tester, it spoils the game for me, It's like seeing your favourite model without make up on, you get to see all the wrinkles and imperfections that you probably wouldn't have noticed as a player
So as long as tethering my phone is enough to kickstart steam into letting me launch a game, I'll be playing wargame red dragon
Have a great weekend all
Totally agree. Seeing it in all it's ugliness takes away from the release.
Because I'm weak and couldn't resist buying the founders pack, it looks like I'll also be playing some Heroes of the Storm this weekend as well.
So, I went with an old standby, Civ VI BtS, solo on Monarchy. It's Turn 167. I am Elizabeth of the English. There are five other AI's on the board. I have taken my closest neighbor from six cities to two. I am at a comparable tech level to anyone on the board and I sit atop said board by a small margin. The VC is Time. Let's see where this one goes.
I'm getting a bit of a late start tonight, but I believe I'm going to fire up Combat Mission Battle for Normandy. I've been watching Black Sea videos and it's got me fired up to play some CM until I pick up BS.
I also watched some Morrowind videos and I'm itching to get back into that tomorrow and through the weekend.
And as usual, CK2 as Scotland.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2015, 07:06:24 AM
Combats Mission Black Sea, ARMA 3 and maybe some more Grey Goo.
is grey goo the result?
It's an embarrassment of riches for once. I scarcely know where to begin.
Starbound. The looooong-awaited stable update is mega. So much stuff to do in the game it's ridiculous. I'm in for the long haul, so I'm carefully going through all the tutorial stuff. Currently looking for iron ore which I'm not having much luck with, but I might cheese it by jumping on the GamingOnLinux server and just helping myself to the stash. I love that characters can move seamlessly between online and offline modes! I think I'll be playing Starbound for quite a while.
Pandora: First Contact. OK so I'm a little late to the party here, but I picked up the game+expansion and I've been very pleasantly surprised. It's pretty much a spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri, and unlike the later Civ games, it's still very worthwhile carefully planning your cities. The new eclipse mechanic is cool as well; it was thrilling to watch the whole planet get darker and darker as the years-long eclipse approached. I'm well into it now, and desperately fending off the packs of native animals who have gone mental due to the darkness. :)
Unepic. I'm having trouble getting this to work, having just picked it up in the Humble Weekly Bundle, but I'm determined because it looks really cool. Essentially a Metroidvania with loads of loot and RPG stats and stuff. It looks like a lot of fun.
VoidExpanse. I'm desperately waiting for the first point release to this game because I love it but it's not very stable on Linux at the moment (that's why you haven't seen me on the server yet Ysk, if you're reading). As soon as it's stable I'll be in this one for the long haul, too. Brilliant game.
Have a great weekend, everyone!
The gaming group last night was a lot of fun. The guy that hosted lives in my old neighborhood about 4 miles from my current home, so it's very easy to get over there. Nice people, nice house, and they had all kinds of geeky stuff around (including a friggin' awesome TARDIS shower curtain in one bathroom, LOL).
We first played 7 Wonders, which I'd never played before, and seemed rather complex as there were tons of moving parts to it and different requirements. I scored last out of 6 players but I chalk that up to inexperience.
Then we played Tragedy Looper, which was a very, very odd game. It had a magna/anime theme to it, and the players are time-traveling investigators that have to stop another player from executing some plot to kill off characters. Through his actions we had to play cards to try to figure out which character was what in order to protect the key characters from getting offed. We were not successful.
Finally by 2300 there were three of us left (some had filtered out after 7 Wonders, another after Tragedy Looper), and we played Legendary Encounters, which is a really fun deck-building game based on the Aliens universe. We had a lot of fun with this one! I played a Gunner and we managed to do pretty well in the first half of the game, but then a self-destruct sequence activated which went right down to the wire before we managed to shut it off. Then I got hit by a facehugger, and had to shuffle a Chestburster into my deck. Of course, after shuffling my deck and dealing myself 6 cards on the next round, I drew the damn Chestburster and died. Not that it mattered because somehow the self-destruct sequence got activated again and we immediately lost. I thought it would be a quick game but it was 0200 before I ended up leaving for the night.
I have to clean out and rearrange my home office today but I should get in some more War in the West tomorrow to try to round out my review.
Last I spent some time with Flashpoint Campaigns (love those bloody British infantry!). Since I've spent my fun budget for the next couple of months, I'm going to have to live vicariously through every one else playing CMBS, and settle for some CMBN with the v3.0 upgrade. I might find some time to play some War in the East as well, and finish off the weekend with a bit of OOTP.
Quote from: MengJiao on January 30, 2015, 11:13:09 AM
Quote from: Blucher on January 30, 2015, 07:19:43 AM
I keep rambling on War in the East and Icewind Dale II maybe some France '14
My Alienware monstrousity died weeping and beeping -- so I'm shifting to the backup system (its coming up from the basement and going back to the Manloft) and it has a nice installation of France '14 on it IIRC. So I may be playing some of that this weekend.
But what really happened? The back-up system worked okay so I played Train Simulator 2015 and To End all Wars.
to end all wars might be the prettiest game I've ever seen: dark blue oceans and seas, murky green forests, little airplanes and balloons and trains -- ah...So I'm starting as the Russians on the shorter East front campaign. It looks like with good reconnaissance I can ambush a few random Central Powers formations wandering into Russian territory. And I'm not marching into East Prussia to get beaten up by the 8th Army using its rail movement to mass against me.
Well, I did get Combat Mission:Black Sea and it's a great game. Most of my time was playing that.
I also played Fleet Commander:Nimitz and a touch of Shadow of Mordor. I also fired up DCS and loaded KA-50 Black Shark. I wasn't sure what module to try and learn, but I love helo's so the Shark it was. Unfortunately, that trim bollox threw me and as quick as I had fired it up, I left it. Maybe I have to wait on a Cobra or my number one Apache...or I could just grow some and get back in the Shark!! >:D
I gave up on Voice Attack. I went through the Windows "teaching" scenarios - several of them - and I faired no better...I'm afraid I just don't have the voice for it at the moment. I could see it being very frustrating trying to give it a command only for it to not recognise it - several times. So I doubt I'll be purchasing that piece of software. Shame...it had promise.
War in the West was fired up, I looked around, checked some things out in the manual and then exited :'(
And of course spent 5 hours watching American Football and Superbowl 49.
Got smacked around a bit by Battle Academy 2 - Eastern Front. Having a hard time beating a raid mission.
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 02, 2015, 09:32:45 AM
I gave up on Voice Attack. I went through the Windows "teaching" scenarios - several of them - and I faired no better...I'm afraid I just don't have the voice for it at the moment. I could see it being very frustrating trying to give it a command only for it to not recognise it - several times. So I doubt I'll be purchasing that piece of software. Shame...it had promise
A Jock trying to use English language voice recognition....
What were you thinking?
I didn't find the time for any strategy gaming but did put some more time into The Witcher. The storyline is holding my interest and so far I have collected 4 of the "special" cards. >:D
^Sexytime!
I would pay 5.00 to watch JD use voice recognition.
Quote from: Gusington on February 02, 2015, 10:38:40 AM
^Sexytime!
I would pay 5.00 to watch JD use voice recognition.
Maybe I'll do you a teaser trailer :D
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 02, 2015, 10:00:50 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 02, 2015, 09:32:45 AM
I gave up on Voice Attack. I went through the Windows "teaching" scenarios - several of them - and I faired no better...I'm afraid I just don't have the voice for it at the moment. I could see it being very frustrating trying to give it a command only for it to not recognise it - several times. So I doubt I'll be purchasing that piece of software. Shame...it had promise
A Jock trying to use English language voice recognition....
What were you thinking?
And yeah - it didn't end well!
Quote from: Gusington on February 02, 2015, 10:38:40 AM
^Sexytime!
I would pay 5.00 to watch JD use voice recognition.
5.00 what? US, UK Monopoly money, or Canadiastan rubles? ;)
^Need to look up the exchange rate for all three.
Did you bash something in with your head?
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 02, 2015, 10:59:08 AM
Quote from: Gusington on February 02, 2015, 10:38:40 AM
^Sexytime!
I would pay 5.00 to watch JD use voice recognition.
5.00 what? US, UK Monopoly money, or Canadiastan rubles? ;)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia3.allnumis.com%2F1189_9892790760aa8d6L.jpg&hash=1b926a5b07437b598e4b45d53eadd3d70cf8a47e)
I made the mistake of trying to take a break for a few hours from sorting my Russian starting divisions in Darkest Hour (the AAR mod has over 150 divisions, and I got about half of them resorted into new corps and assigned their first marching orders), to play a first person shooter instead.
I then made the further mistake of trying to get two older titles in my library (The Wheel of Time and Far Cry 1, the former of which I had played through at least once before) to run on a modern graphics card at something more than minimum spec.
FOURTEEN HOURS LATER, I had not only given up on those projects, but had also finally figured out that Steam installs a broken UPlay client (for playing FC3). With that much frustration sunk in, I damn well was going to play FC3 for a few hours at least; which I did during the Super Bowl. :) So I never got back to finishing my initial DH assignments. This afternoon I guess.
I've also now played the iPhone version of Rivals of Catan (now bug free as far as I can tell, and not any real relation to Catan btw), enough to have formulated a winning strategy that I'm testing against several of the AI players: it's a fine non-combat strategy card game (3x you might say, no eXtermination), and the AI has been taught well, with different bots having different preferences on what they like to focus on. By next weekend I'll have probably played through them and will be moving on to learning (or becoming more proficient at) a different phone game.
So despite the frustrations, a good weekend of gaming. :)
Quote from: JasonPratt on February 02, 2015, 11:21:03 AM
FOURTEEN HOURS LATER, I had not only given up on those projects, but had also finally figured out that Steam installs a broken UPlay client (for playing FC3). With that much frustration sunk in, I damn well was going to play FC3 for a few hours at least; which I did during the Super Bowl. :) So I never got back to finishing my initial DH assignments. This afternoon I guess.
Uplay is a big problem. I've only experienced it while trying to play FarCry3, but that was enough. No FarCry4 for me and no more Uplay.
Advanced Squad Leader (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=12575.msg328388#msg328388) dressed up in leotards....no, I wasn't dressed up in leotards, the game is. Want to teach your wife/girlfriend ASL? This is the ticket. Also worked on a new print version of the map for Victory in Vietnam II (http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee6fa1a/1264).
I managed a win in CMBN's Kampgruppe Engel Campaign battle 6 against the always tough Canadians. Almost 200 hundred casualities and 22 tanks inflicted against 19 of mine and 2 trucks... a Tactical Victory. Huh? :idiot2: Anyway, it was fun and I was VERY lucky to get out with the win that I did. Up next is the Poles for the last 2 scenarios. Didn't we already beat them back in '39?
As expected I spent most of my weekend buried in OOB work for Command but I was able to reach the point where I could move out of working in Google Earth to working in the game itself. Next thing on my list is a whole lot of setting up OpFor missions and LUA code top trigger everything.
Managed to get a quick hop in Prepar3D last night. Quick flight from Tacoma-Narrows airport to Newport, OR. Screwed up my weather settings on set up and ended up flying through thunderstorms. Once I got above the clouds it was relatively smooth flying. Almost lost it on landing due to a nasty crosswind. Luckily the PC-12 is a rugged aircraft.
I really don't know what to say about Heroes of the Storm, its DOTA but with blizzard characters. Its been really simplified from LoL/DOTA with the removal of items. All the skills and talents I've seen so far seem to be viable options, or at least its got me putting some hard thought on what talent to take when you level up. I do like how your whole team levels at the same time, so kill stealing isn't a thing at all. I think this game will be awesome when more of my friends and maybe some Grogs :) get into the beta.