SHOCKING interview with Nvidia engineer about the 970 fiasco
:2funny:
lol :2funny:
Hitler Reacts To The GTX 970 Being 3.5GB + .5GB
http://youtu.be/tNGi06cq_pQ
Language warning!
Edit: i removed the embedded video and just provided the link because of the language displayed on the YouTube video still frame
ROFL
"What company does Nvidia think it is? Fucking Apple?!"
:2funny:
Quote from: Asid on January 30, 2015, 11:48:20 AM
Hitler Reacts To The GTX 970 Being 3.5GB + .5GB
http://youtu.be/tNGi06cq_pQ
Language warning!
Edit: i removed the embedded video and just provided the link because of the language displayed on the YouTube video still frame
You're so sweet :P
But decent call. O0
Maybe its just me, but I like my engineers with teeth.
Quote from: magnus on January 30, 2015, 06:32:38 PM
Maybe its just me, but I like my engineers with teeth.
You think he's telling the tooth? :2funny:
What is the story with this card?
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2015, 07:10:46 PM
What is the story with this card?
"Three weeks ago here on Guru3D.com users in our forums started to report oddities with their GeForce GTX 970 graphics card, the card ran out of memory at 3.5 GB, not utilizing anything higher or reports of stutters in high graphics memory usage."
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-geforce-gtx-970-vram-stress-test.html
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/does-the-geforce-gtx-970-have-a-memory-allocation-bug.html
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2015, 07:10:46 PM
What is the story with this card?
Sounds like they may have intentionally slowed down the card's peak performance because it was too close to their higher priced model. It's not the first time they've done so, either.
I've read past reports of them using their higher priced chipsets but locking them down to slower speeds and charging less. That would imply that they're price gouging on those models since they're charging radically different prices for the same hardware. I suppose it could be called price gouging or fixing.
This latest development is just another incident in a string AFAIK. I recall some lawsuits being filed against Nvidia (and maybe ATI) for this kind of stuff in the past.
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 03:41:23 PM
Quote from: Asid on January 30, 2015, 11:48:20 AM
Hitler Reacts To The GTX 970 Being 3.5GB + .5GB
http://youtu.be/tNGi06cq_pQ
Language warning!
Edit: i removed the embedded video and just provided the link because of the language displayed on the YouTube video still frame
You're so sweet :P
But decent call. O0
Which given the previous post by Nefaro seems like somewhat of an overreaction LOL :2funny:
With regard to the video though - surely that cant be a genuine Nvidia guy ? That's got to be a company killer hasn't it - or would lack of choice mean that's not the case ?
Quote from: Zulu1966 on January 31, 2015, 04:25:10 AM
With regard to the video though - surely that cant be a genuine Nvidia guy ? That's got to be a company killer hasn't it - or would lack of choice mean that's not the case ?
Are you serious? :D
.
Quote from: Yskonyn on January 31, 2015, 05:21:42 AM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on January 31, 2015, 04:25:10 AM
With regard to the video though - surely that cant be a genuine Nvidia guy ? That's got to be a company killer hasn't it - or would lack of choice mean that's not the case ?
Are you serious? :D
.
Sorry badly typed ... been up all night trying to get my friggin CMBS download to work.
For clarification
With regard to the video though - surely that cant be a genuine Nvidia guy ? (Sarcasm - in that given what they appear to have done it wouldn't surprise me if they were a bunch of toothless drug dealers on the side - which is what he reminded me of. )
This bit genuine ...
That's got to be a company killer hasn't it - or would lack of choice mean that's not the case ? - don't follow tech much - only when looking to buy something - so wasn't aware this kind of practice was prevelant with them. If I had bought one ... that would seriously piss me off to the point I wouldn't buy from them again - but I guess there are only two serious players in the market so essentially as someone else said they are an almost monopoly and can do what they like and people just have to suck it up ?
Ahh right, Zulu! You got me sacred there for a minute! :D
I dont think its limited to them. Intel has been known to sell the same chips with a locked lower speed too.
Their accepted defense had always been that while testing chips they found that stable frequencies varied from batch to batch. And so they made a lower speed model for less cash and a higher speed model of the same hardware for more cash.
As long as you are being told you are buying a slower chip its ok.
But if Nvidia markets the 970 as a 4GB card but only 3.5 can be used that's not correct. The speed 'squeeze' of the GPU however is nothing new.
.
Quote from: Zulu1966 on January 31, 2015, 04:25:10 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 03:41:23 PM
Quote from: Asid on January 30, 2015, 11:48:20 AM
Hitler Reacts To The GTX 970 Being 3.5GB + .5GB
http://youtu.be/tNGi06cq_pQ
Language warning!
Edit: i removed the embedded video and just provided the link because of the language displayed on the YouTube video still frame
You're so sweet :P
But decent call. O0
With regard to the video though - surely that cant be a genuine Nvidia guy ? That's got to be a company killer hasn't it - or would lack of choice mean that's not the case ?
Everyone knows that Hitler had a 3dfx Voodoo1 not a 970 GTX........
Quote from: Nefaro on January 30, 2015, 11:03:34 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2015, 07:10:46 PM
What is the story with this card?
Sounds like they may have intentionally slowed down the card's peak performance because it was too close to their higher priced model. It's not the first time they've done so, either.
I've read past reports of them using their higher priced chipsets but locking them down to slower speeds and charging less. That would imply that they're price gouging on those models since they're charging radically different prices for the same hardware. I suppose it could be called price gouging or fixing.
This latest development is just another incident in a string AFAIK. I recall some lawsuits being filed against Nvidia (and maybe ATI) for this kind of stuff in the past.
I thought it the norm that these companies use the same chip in several of their cards but they are pegged in performance. That's why people buy the lower end but run it higher...though I've only heard that with the chips...not pegging memory back.
Quote from: Yskonyn on January 31, 2015, 05:43:05 AM
Ahh right, Zulu! You got me sacred there for a minute! :D
I dont think its limited to them. Intel has been known to sell the same chips with a locked lower speed too.
Their accepted defense had always been that while testing chips they found that stable frequencies varied from batch to batch. And so they made a lower speed model for less cash and a higher speed model of the same hardware for more cash.
As long as you are being told you are buying a slower chip its ok.
But if Nvidia markets the 970 as a 4GB card but only 3.5 can be used that's not correct. The speed 'squeeze' of the GPU however is nothing new.
.
Yes - got to get some sleep.
Jeez - never knew - that is seriously FUBAR.
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 31, 2015, 05:50:17 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 30, 2015, 11:03:34 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2015, 07:10:46 PM
What is the story with this card?
Sounds like they may have intentionally slowed down the card's peak performance because it was too close to their higher priced model. It's not the first time they've done so, either.
I've read past reports of them using their higher priced chipsets but locking them down to slower speeds and charging less. That would imply that they're price gouging on those models since they're charging radically different prices for the same hardware. I suppose it could be called price gouging or fixing.
This latest development is just another incident in a string AFAIK. I recall some lawsuits being filed against Nvidia (and maybe ATI) for this kind of stuff in the past.
I thought it the norm that these companies use the same chip in several of their cards but they are pegged in performance. That's why people buy the lower end but run it higher...though I've only heard that with the chips...not pegging memory back.
Yes.
Still questionable, but now standard practice for them. They got busted for price fixing with ATI before and I think this kind of stuff fits in the same category. Hell.. one of the emails used as evidence in the price fixing case even featured an exec boasting about how they had increased the price point on their upper end models by 400% in just a few years.
They're given a lot of leeway, having such a large market share. It was the same for Intel although they've received more scrutiny lately than in the past.
While I was watching the train wreck this kept going through my mind.
" Badges, we don't need no stinking badges".
I remember a while back - couple of years ago, nVidia was in deep trouble because a range of video cards literally were melting - apparently the solder on them couldn't take normal GPU temperatures... more recently it seems some of their drivers have been having much the same effect giving fan control problems. I've had nVidia cards in the past and they worked for me without problems, but it seems that some models have some serious heat issues.
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1004378/why-nvidia-chips-defective
http://community.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?175532-DO-Not-install-Nvidia-320-18-killing-gpu-s
http://www.zdnet.com/article/warning-nvidia-196-75-drivers-can-kill-your-graphics-card/
Nvidia's not as solid as they were many years ago.
At this point, if I'm ready for an upgrade I'll check some reviews and scuttlebutt on the current models from both companies in my price range. I don't have brand loyalty anymore because they both screw stuff up these days.
ATI cards have been doing me good for years at the price point I like.
Eh, despite these 'shocking revelations', the 970 is still doing extremely well in every test of cards I've seen online. So it seems pretty 'whatever' to me.
give Mirth and I $200 and you'll see what an unclocked Gus can do. ^-^
Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 07, 2015, 10:45:03 PM
Eh, despite these 'shocking revelations', the 970 is still doing extremely well in every test of cards I've seen online. So it seems pretty 'whatever' to me.
Not only that, but they seem to be reviewed extremely positively. I almost picked one up today to replace my 760, but I resisted.
The 970 is still a great card. I think for many the real issue is one of a cover up by Nvidia.
Regards
I picked one of these up yesterday on impulse. The thing is smoking. I'm running ARMA III on ultra detail and it looks amazing.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 13, 2015, 08:56:20 AM
I picked one of these up yesterday on impulse. The thing is smoking. I'm running ARMA III on ultra detail and it looks amazing.
Lets see some more screen shots :)
Quote from: Asid on April 13, 2015, 04:41:55 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 13, 2015, 08:56:20 AM
I picked one of these up yesterday on impulse. The thing is smoking. I'm running ARMA III on ultra detail and it looks amazing.
Lets see some more screen shots :)
You got it! I'll try to take some tonight.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 13, 2015, 08:56:20 AM
I picked one of these up yesterday on impulse. The thing is smoking. I'm running ARMA III on ultra detail and it looks amazing.
I picked up 2 970's running in sli and they are sweet. Definitely the best bang for the buck right now.