I know most of us talk about OOTP when we discuss the best career based text baseball sim on the market and rightfully so in my opinion. However, Puresim Baseball was not a bad game itself and provided an alternative to OOTP back in the day. The problem with this game was the fact the developer would often start and stop the support of the game and seemed to move between working for companies like Wolverine and himself. If you haven't been following it, he actually has now made the game free and the latest version is available with 2014 rosters included. Seems like he is now doing it for the love of it, versus making money and the pressure. I recommend giving it a try if your interested in career based baseball and the price is right:)
Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy OOTP much better but there is always room for both.
http://www.puresimbaseball.com/