GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on February 12, 2015, 04:53:02 PM

Title: What about Offworld Trading Company?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 12, 2015, 04:53:02 PM
It was released on early access today and by all accounts it is already very polished. However, with no military force component, I'm not sure it will hold my interest.  Looks good though, from the designer of Civ IV.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/271240/ (http://store.steampowered.com/app/271240/)
Title: Re: What about Offworld Trading Company?
Post by: bbmike on February 12, 2015, 05:08:19 PM
I thought of 1830 Railways & Robber Barons after reading about the game. Whatever happened to MarkShot anyway?  :(
And thanks for pointing out yet another interesting game!
Title: Re: What about Offworld Trading Company?
Post by: Huw the Poo on February 12, 2015, 05:13:36 PM
The lack of a military option is what piqued my interest; makes a nice change.  Stardock have strongly hinted at Linux support too, so I'm sure to pick this one up.
Title: Re: What about Offworld Trading Company?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 12, 2015, 05:19:53 PM
I don't mind that it is not military focused, but at least being able to build security forces for defense and low intensity offensive ops would have been nice. I get that there are some more aggressive black market tactical options, but they seem like a very minor component to the game.
Title: Re: What about Offworld Trading Company?
Post by: DennisS on February 13, 2015, 08:23:57 PM
I watched several youtube videos..I like the mechanics of it, and from the looks of it, it is complex enough to be challenging, but with the interface well thought out. I don't mind complexity, in fact, I prefer it, so long as the game is actually playable.
Title: Re: What about Offworld Trading Company?
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on February 13, 2015, 08:37:26 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 12, 2015, 05:13:36 PM
The lack of a military option is what piqued my interest; makes a nice change.

Same. Added to wish list. Will wait until it goes on sale
Title: Re: What about Offworld Trading Company?
Post by: undercovergeek on February 14, 2015, 07:54:56 AM
This sounds pretty cool - I love me some economic simulator and enjoyed markshots many aars on the old railway game - I may dive in
Title: Re: What about Offworld Trading Company?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2015, 07:59:07 AM
The problem I see with this game is that all e player does  really is make, buy and sell commodities. There doesn't seem to be any management of transportation, infrastructure, etc. maybe my read of the game is oversimplified, but there just doesn't seem like there is that much to do.
Title: Re: What about Offworld Trading Company?
Post by: undercovergeek on February 14, 2015, 08:02:44 AM
Once home I'll watch those tutorials linked in steam and see what it's like
Title: Re: What about Offworld Trading Company?
Post by: DennisS on February 14, 2015, 06:28:00 PM
I have watched perhaps ... ten hours' worth of youtube videos. There is more depth and nuances to this game than I first believed.

There are two parts to this game, the first being develop your economy, the second to buying out the other players.

Your economy doesn't develop in a linear fashion..it is very much geometric, in the sense that once you gain a rapid acceleration of revenues, you rapidly out-distance the other players.

The only way to win is to achieve critical mass in your economy prior to the others. The mechanism to achieve this is to upgrade your HQ to level five, unlocking off-world trading rockets. Instead of making a small amount from buying and selling on the open market, you are free to shoot into space one rocket that may gain you several hundred thousand dollars, at once.

This sudden, and MASSIVE influx of cash will almost certainly allow you to buy up the price of your own stock, making you a dramatically more difficult takeover target, but it will also allow you to buy up the weakest of your opponents.

When this happens, yep, up goes another rocket, rinse, and repeat. Easy win.

I have yet to see a player that gets the first off world rocket off first lose. This game mechanic is way OP.
Title: Re: What about Offworld Trading Company?
Post by: undercovergeek on February 14, 2015, 08:24:52 PM
ive watched the first 3 tutorials and havent really seen anything beyond a resource grab mechanism and then button clicking til win
Title: Re: What about Offworld Trading Company?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2015, 08:41:43 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 14, 2015, 08:24:52 PM
ive watched the first 3 tutorials and havent really seen anything beyond a resource grab mechanism and then button clicking til win

+1. I just don't see the depth. Its like Starcraft without units and combat.
Title: Re: What about Offworld Trading Company?
Post by: DennisS on February 15, 2015, 02:55:43 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 14, 2015, 08:24:52 PM
ive watched the first 3 tutorials and havent really seen anything beyond a resource grab mechanism and then button clicking til win

I am coming around to this opinion. Resource grab until you upgrade your headquarters to level 5, then build two offworld rocket ship platforms, as the I win button.
Title: Re: What about Offworld Trading Company?
Post by: Boggit on February 19, 2015, 11:15:47 PM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on February 13, 2015, 08:37:26 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 12, 2015, 05:13:36 PM
The lack of a military option is what piqued my interest; makes a nice change.

Same. Added to wish list. Will wait until it goes on sale
Ditto. I agree with JH tho' - some military options would have held more interest for me.
Title: Re: What about Offworld Trading Company?
Post by: undercovergeek on February 20, 2015, 05:34:51 AM
big write up at RPS - lots of enthusiasm
Title: Re: What about Offworld Trading Company?
Post by: tgb on February 20, 2015, 07:17:10 AM
How the single player campaign works (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jttGcQEaqkw)
Title: Re: What about Offworld Trading Company?
Post by: Boggit on February 21, 2015, 07:30:57 PM
It really could do with some merc's/skullduggery for when competition for claims get tough. It seems a good game, but has the potential to be so much more.
Title: Re: What about Offworld Trading Company?
Post by: DennisS on February 22, 2015, 10:07:37 AM
Fundamentally, the mechanic of racing to level 5, then getting the off world mechanic is deeply flawed. There is no other viable strategy.

Until this is changed, changing other parameters or options, or adding new features have no value. Just more stuff to NOT do, on your way to a level 5 headquarters.
Title: Re: What about Offworld Trading Company?
Post by: tgb on February 22, 2015, 11:42:49 AM
I've won several skirmishes without launching the offworld market, so if that's the only path to victory, no one told me.