GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Tech Talk => Topic started by: endfire79 on February 20, 2015, 10:03:04 AM

Title: Backup software solutions and backup storage solutions
Post by: endfire79 on February 20, 2015, 10:03:04 AM
Well I've managed to re-haul my pc rig and updated to a new SSD hard drive for the operating system disk (big improvement in boot and response time).  I still have mechanical drives for my data, games and media, but may consider replacing one or two later, and maybe add a PCI card for USB 3.0 (my mobo is an older Asus). 

Now that I have some time, I'm trying to get a decent backup solution going.  At work we've mostly used Acronis and external drives and those usually work (talking about Windows here).
I've been looking at NAS storage for a while now, and I'm interested.  We've got desktop, a laptop, and our smartphones at home that we use frequently (potentially adding more tablets).

What are you guys using for both your backup software and backup storage solutions?

Title: Re: Backup software solutions and backup storage solutions
Post by: Staggerwing on February 20, 2015, 06:55:07 PM
Right now I'm using Apple's Time Machine managing an external 1TB drive on my iMac along with Dropbox for docs that I want to be able to access from anywhere and iCloud for the phones & tablets. I also have a crapload of stuff (mostly game installer files and various mods and whatnot) on a number of old HDDs salvaged from past Windowboxes that I can access through a usb/firewire adapter gadget.
Title: Re: Backup software solutions and backup storage solutions
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on February 20, 2015, 10:26:57 PM
You don't have to back up, just ask NSA for your data back. You are a taxpayer.

:P
Title: Re: Backup software solutions and backup storage solutions
Post by: mirth on February 22, 2015, 01:00:47 PM
Time Machine and whatever the Win 7 equivalent is. Admittedly I've become sloppy about regular backups and I really should know better. I've had HD failures before and lost data because I only had an old backup.