Our shop desperately needs to upgrade to a new accounting system -- ours is great but runs only in MacOS9, which gets more unstable all the time on our old Mac computers, which themselves become slowly less capable of operating in a modern environment all the time.
Since Macintosh essentially abandoned their customer loyalty several years ago when they went to a brand new (Windows compatible) operating system, we'd have to buy a whole new software suite anyway even if we bought new Macs; and while there aren't many proper manufacturing accountant programs to begin with, and fewer priced for small factories, there are fewer still for Macs. So we might as well look at Windows systems while we're at it.
For stability and customer support, if we go with Windows I'll probably get two or three Falcons, relatively low-level for the main 'office' computer, higher level for mine (since I have to do the CADing); but before that happens I really need to test drive various accounting systems on a Win 8.1 (or maybe the upcoming Win 10) platform.
Consequently, I'm thinking of getting a meaty Microsoft Surface, which will allow me to test drive accounting / database programs; and also start doing our upcoming taxes pronto (for the family I mean, not the business, we finished that this year already); and heck while I'm at it I can start migrating books over into a Kindle program from my old original Kindle (the kind that actually had a keyboard; but it's so old it's starting to fall apart a bit). Also, I can set up quite a few of my PC games, and bring those along to play with the nieces (and the Bro) when I travel. Which to be honest is the main reason why it would need to be "meaty". O0 :coolsmiley: (The Presence weighs as much as one of the nieces, maybe both put together, and is the very definition of not-portable.)
Before I do that, though, I figured I'd poll for advice on things like the best accessories (case, keyboard, mouse? rollerball??, stylus), and perhaps check for unseen pitfalls in operation.
Ask Jarhead, I think he posted recently about his Surface Pro. I've been thinking of one as well. Trying to justify it to my wife.
Go to a Microsoft store and check it out in person. I thought I would like it but after a friend bought one I was surprised at how heavy it was. It was nice, though.
I'm still using a 2011 Macbook Air with Windows 7 on it (bootcamp) and it works for my travel needs. Also check out the Lenovo Yoga.
Didn't Lenovo recently get outed as a spyware bundler?
Quote from: Staggerwing on February 22, 2015, 05:19:59 PM
Didn't Lenovo recently get outed as a spyware bundler?
Yes, they put a big security hole in their PCs.
That's why it's always a good idea to reformat and reinstall the OS when buying a new computer.
Yeah, I specifically remember Jarhead's thread on that, and was hoping he'd comment here. Wish this version of BBCode had a "tag" function for summoning members.
[tag]Jarhead0331[/tag]
Dang, didn't work... :buck2:
I could pm him I guess.
Update: Surface Pro 3 with 512GB and i7 processor on the way.
Plus:
• Microsoft Arc Touch Bluetooth mouse
• Urban Armor Gear case (red, mil spec)
• Surface Pro Type Cover (red)
• El Prado bag/case/backpack (black with orange trim)
I didn't get a dock, though that's something I might wish I had later.
Anything else I might wish I had ordered?