GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: LongBlade on March 08, 2015, 10:48:14 AM

Poll
Question: Which game should LB get?
Option 1: Attila votes: 6
Option 2: Homeworld votes: 13
Title: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: LongBlade on March 08, 2015, 10:48:14 AM
OK folks. I'm thinking I want a game. One new PC game. I've got a great tabletop gaming community and am being drawn in that direction but I still want a PC game to hold my attention.

So which should I get? Attila or Homeworld?

Let the fighting begin!

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1081.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fj349%2Flongblade%2FSmilies%2Fduel.gif&hash=7a7727be21f6c7c65ce4ffe4536d2859bed53638)
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 08, 2015, 10:50:49 AM
What other Total War games do you have? Did you play the original Homeworld games?
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: LongBlade on March 08, 2015, 10:53:57 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 08, 2015, 10:50:49 AM
What other Total War games do you have? Did you play the original Homeworld games?

I've played most of the Total War family. Loved Rome 2.

I'm not 100% sure but I *think* I bought Homeworld a year or two after it was originally released but never got into it. However, I'm really tempted by it - a good scifi game could really scratch an itch. Besides, now I have Star to bug about how to get good at it.
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: mirth on March 08, 2015, 11:00:00 AM
Get Panthers in the Fog. You can bug Star about that one too.
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 08, 2015, 11:20:59 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on March 08, 2015, 10:53:57 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 08, 2015, 10:50:49 AM
What other Total War games do you have? Did you play the original Homeworld games?

I've played most of the Total War family. Loved Rome 2.

I'm not 100% sure but I *think* I bought Homeworld a year or two after it was originally released but never got into it. However, I'm really tempted by it - a good scifi game could really scratch an itch. Besides, now I have Star to bug about how to get good at it.

Definitely go with Homeworld. It must be experienced. Its a spectacular game. I have all the Total War games and I'm having trouble getting into Attila. I would say get it eventually, but if its between Homeworld and Attila right now, I think its an easy choice under the circumstances.
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 11:21:33 AM
get Homeworld.  at the very least it will make commanding TW armies that much easier.
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 11:22:51 AM
besides... what other game let you wear your Starfleet uniform while playing?
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 11:25:43 AM
this is from a HW2 mod:

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fth07.deviantart.net%2Ffs16%2FPRE%2Ff%2F2007%2F188%2F9%2Fc%2FSacrifice_of_Angels_by_Hathawayp5.png&hash=6098f2355e14923eb20a0c27537484b526475e6f)
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: Gusington on March 08, 2015, 11:44:06 AM
I can vouch for Attila being a great game. It's definitely the toughest in the TW series, by far. But I know LB is skilled in the ways of TW.

I also know that LB loves his epic sci fi. And that is HW to a tee, too.

I went the easy route...I got both. I have about 25 hours into Attila right now and although it is tough game, I am really enjoying it. I may take a break this week from Attila to play some HW and Starships, but I know I will go back to Attlia and put in 100s of hours.

I guess I have not answered the question :)
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: Staggerwing on March 08, 2015, 12:21:27 PM
I voted Homeworld. It looks purty...

Actually, I don't have either but I played HW1 a while back and I also have R:TW2. My unsubstantiated hunch is that the HW Remastered will make for more of a change if you have been on the Rome2 party bus as of late.
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: mikeck on March 08, 2015, 01:33:06 PM
I would say Homeworld for one reason since they are both great games: you already have Rome2 and that's close enough to Atilla. There is nothing like Homeworld...even if you just skirmish
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: W8taminute on March 08, 2015, 01:43:05 PM
I would choose Homeworld simply because I overlooked that game when it first came out and I already have a good collection of TW games. 
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: mikeck on March 08, 2015, 01:51:47 PM
Plus, when the big mode like "complex" or "PDS" come out for the remastered game, watch out
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: Gusington on March 08, 2015, 01:59:00 PM
Watch out for what? :)
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: Martok on March 08, 2015, 02:21:26 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 11:25:43 AM
this is from a HW2 mod:

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fth07.deviantart.net%2Ffs16%2FPRE%2Ff%2F2007%2F188%2F9%2Fc%2FSacrifice_of_Angels_by_Hathawayp5.png&hash=6098f2355e14923eb20a0c27537484b526475e6f)
Holy crap.  Please tell me this mod is available for the remastered version!! 

Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: Con on March 08, 2015, 02:23:03 PM
Homeworld

Classic SciFi game operatic in scope and beauty and has a damn good story.  Well worth the money

Con
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: Gusington on March 08, 2015, 02:35:07 PM
Clearly I haven't been able to succeed in Attila yet. Should I take a break and play some HW (along with a dash of Sid Meier's Starships when released this week)?
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: Bison on March 08, 2015, 03:34:21 PM
I say get 7 Days to Die and hone your zombie apocalypse survival skills.  :)
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 04:10:43 PM
when you buy the remastered package you get the original versions of both games.  it "should" work with the originals.
from what Ive read on the forums most of the really big and popular mods are going to be looked at for use in the new setup.
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 04:21:47 PM
Martok, that mod is called Sacrifice of Angels and its set during the Dominion War.
now go get a towel and clean yourself up man!
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: Staggerwing on March 08, 2015, 04:33:03 PM
Is there a BSG or B5 mod?
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: undercovergeek on March 08, 2015, 04:47:37 PM
oooo the PDS mod was pretty
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 04:53:01 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on March 08, 2015, 04:33:03 PM
Is there a BSG or B5 mod?

yes and yes
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: mikeck on March 08, 2015, 05:00:30 PM
I know complex 9.0 works with the original HW2. You can get it from the steam workshop
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 08, 2015, 05:35:16 PM
I'd like to see a Robotech mod.
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 06:22:50 PM
Im pretty sure that one was in the works.
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 06:31:57 PM
this seems to be for HW1 and its based off of the Macross Do You Remember Love movie:

Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 07:00:35 PM
so BSG but a low res video.  looks waaay better in game.

Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: LongBlade on March 08, 2015, 08:56:29 PM
Quote from: mirth on March 08, 2015, 11:00:00 AM
Get Panthers in the Fog. You can bug Star about that one too.

Ha! Sold!
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: LongBlade on March 08, 2015, 08:57:34 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 11:25:43 AM
this is from a HW2 mod:

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fth07.deviantart.net%2Ffs16%2FPRE%2Ff%2F2007%2F188%2F9%2Fc%2FSacrifice_of_Angels_by_Hathawayp5.png&hash=6098f2355e14923eb20a0c27537484b526475e6f)

That pretty much seals the deal.
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: LongBlade on March 08, 2015, 08:57:56 PM
Quote from: Bison on March 08, 2015, 03:34:21 PM
I say get 7 Days to Die and hone your zombie apocalypse survival skills.  :)

You are a very wise man.
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: LongBlade on March 08, 2015, 08:58:46 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Homeworld it is. Maybe followed later by Attila and then 7 Days to Die.
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 09:55:28 PM
the thing that everyone should keep in mind is this:  there is pretty much no well known sci fi space universe that hasnt been modded for the Homeworld series.
Star Trek, all series
Star Wars, all eras
Babylon 5
Battlestar Galactica
Space Above and Beyond
Macross/Robotech
Gundam
there was some serious work done for a Honor Harrington mod that was shut down by evil lawyers.

Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: Gusington on March 09, 2015, 09:13:47 AM
Is there a best, hands down, all around Homeworld mod? Is the Steam workshop set up for the remastered version with compatible mods yet?
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 09, 2015, 09:22:51 AM
Complex and PDS are widely considered to be the most polished of the HW mods.
I recall the Star Wars mod being really well done.
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: Gusington on March 09, 2015, 09:26:23 AM
-Burns-
Excellent
-Burns-
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 09, 2015, 10:12:06 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 09:55:28 PM

there was some serious work done for a Honor Harrington mod that was shut down by evil lawyers.

Hey! I resemble that statement!
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: mikeck on March 09, 2015, 11:22:34 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 09, 2015, 10:12:06 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 09:55:28 PM

there was some serious work done for a Honor Harrington mod that was shut down by evil lawyers.

Hey! I resemble that statement!

Lol, lawyers arent  evil if they are making you money
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 09, 2015, 12:29:04 PM
A Harrington mod with a campaign would have been fucking epic with this game engine.
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: RedArgo on March 09, 2015, 01:23:05 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 11:25:43 AM
this is from a HW2 mod:

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fth07.deviantart.net%2Ffs16%2FPRE%2Ff%2F2007%2F188%2F9%2Fc%2FSacrifice_of_Angels_by_Hathawayp5.png&hash=6098f2355e14923eb20a0c27537484b526475e6f)

Damn, now I've got another game to buy.  That looks amazing!
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 09, 2015, 03:46:29 PM
To be honest I dont know if the mods will work with the original versions released through Steam.
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: LongBlade on March 09, 2015, 08:48:07 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 09, 2015, 03:46:29 PM
To be honest I dont know if the mods will work with the original versions released through Steam.

Well, it's a good bet someone will make some that will.
Title: Re: Attila or Homeworld?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 09, 2015, 08:52:09 PM
I dont see why not.  the vast majority of the hard work is already done.