GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Rayfer on March 09, 2015, 10:54:30 AM

Title: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: Rayfer on March 09, 2015, 10:54:30 AM
It's 50% off.....$19.99 digital download. Anyone playing or have played this? Thumbs up or down?
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: FlickJax on March 10, 2015, 04:24:29 AM
can't be any good no replies
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: Anguille on March 10, 2015, 04:35:06 AM
It's a niche game. I am also interested but I am not sure if many people play it. I would have bought it if I didn't have so many games.
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: ArizonaTank on March 10, 2015, 04:45:26 AM
I am suffering from too many games fatigue as well....
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: Rayfer on March 10, 2015, 07:16:25 AM
Quote from: FlickJax on March 10, 2015, 04:24:29 AM
can't be any good no replies

LOL....exactly the conclusion I came to. I was tempted but I think I'll pass.
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: Anguille on March 10, 2015, 07:25:29 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on March 10, 2015, 07:16:25 AM
Quote from: FlickJax on March 10, 2015, 04:24:29 AM
can't be any good no replies

LOL....exactly the conclusion I came to. I was tempted but I think I'll pass.
The couple of reviews I have seen were actually good...
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: spelk on March 10, 2015, 09:14:49 AM
I bought it, and did a quick look article, but haven't played it since - so my memory of the game is very fuzzy and vague now

http://sugarfreegamer.com/piercing-fortress-europa-quick-look/
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: magnus on March 10, 2015, 11:34:00 AM
 It is a very good game and a great simulation of the Italian front in WWII.

The game stresses logistics, so you will have to manage your resources carefully.

Do not expect large encirclements etc..
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: Tinkershuffle on March 10, 2015, 02:04:04 PM
I'd probably grab it if the graphics weren't so anti-immersive, unfortunately it seems there are no mods available either.
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: GJK on March 10, 2015, 09:21:16 PM
Everything can be very easily modded with this one.  The map is a single graphic (and not the usual "tiled" graphics that most computer wargames use) and the units are all individual graphics as well.  I like the "retro" look myself but I may be a bit biased here.  ;)
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: panzerde on March 11, 2015, 06:19:27 PM
I've heard good things about it and may make this my first Matrix purchase in several months. I like the theater and the game's focus on logistics and planning.

Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: spelk on March 11, 2015, 07:32:57 PM
I had a look at this game tonight, and it seems as if I didn't buy it, but I played the beta... so I've bought it now to give it a bit more of a chance. I could have sworn I'd bought it.

It's VERY boardgame, and I think if you're that way inclined this is probably worth the effort for you. If you're used to quite polished computerwargames, then you might want to wait on it. It truly is for board wargamers.
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: Tinkershuffle on March 12, 2015, 12:31:25 AM
But without the actual board, chits and social aspect it only gets halfway there. That's the reason I don't play Vassal modules although I really enjoy board wargaming otherwise.
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: GJK on March 12, 2015, 04:47:45 AM
It's always better with another person rather than a computer.  ;)
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: Tamas on March 12, 2015, 04:53:02 AM
Quote from: Tinkershuffle on March 12, 2015, 12:31:25 AM
But without the actual board, chits and social aspect it only gets halfway there. That's the reason I don't play Vassal modules although I really enjoy board wargaming otherwise.

While the graphics of the game are boardgame-y, there is a WEGO turn structure and an AI that will offer you a challenge, so I wouldn't say its 100% like a boardgame ;)
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: spelk on March 21, 2015, 03:24:34 PM
My first go at a video AAR, so be gentle... is the first 4 turns of Piercing Fortress Europa, The Sicily scenario.



Others to follow hopefully, and the more practice I get the better it might sound.  :-[
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: panzerde on March 21, 2015, 04:45:27 PM
Nice video AAR spelk! You showed me a lot about the game I didn't know.


The one chit is blue because it's the Herman Goering Division, a powerful Luftwaffe armor division. Those guys are dangerous - ask Cyrano!  ;D
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: Rayfer on March 21, 2015, 05:08:19 PM
Well done spelk...thanks!
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: GJK on March 21, 2015, 05:54:38 PM

Quote...chits....

(They're called counters).  :coolsmiley:

Some time ago, I had started to redo the maps graphics for this one in the style of a blatant rip-off of the original "Anzio" game by AH but Frank Hunter didn't care for it.  I still may finish it yet; it's close:

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.garykrockover.com%2Fuploads%2FItalyMap_Anzio_Style_Small.png&hash=020a7d2991f6b15469649d280a2144cb1db5f2e5)http://www.garykrockover.com/uploads/ItalyMap_Anzio_Style_Large.png (http://www.garykrockover.com/uploads/ItalyMap_Anzio_Style_Large.png)

Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: Staggerwing on March 21, 2015, 07:37:01 PM
When you do one of these maps over do you hand-trace every coastline from scratch or do you scan the original and somehow 'lift' the existing coastline?
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: GJK on March 22, 2015, 12:17:08 AM
I drew the original from a hand drawing that Frank Hunter did and that's what was included in the game (I did the counters as well).  Since I have my original in PSD (Photoshop) format, with layers, I could rather easily make the map in any style that I wanted and would certainly be open to any suggestions.

If it's a recreation of a map that was drawn by somebody else, then I'll scan the original map (boardgame) and retrace the coastline and work it from there.  See my recent recreation of the map for "Texas Glory" in the thread HERE (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=13038.0)

Most PC game maps are "tiles" and can be both easier and more difficult to change.  Easier in that you change the single master tile for each terrain type and you've changed the whole map.  Harder in that tiled maps look very repetitive (obviously) and can look just plain ugly if not carefully done.  I usually don't care for modding such maps (though I did do a terrain mod for TOAW back in the day, among a few other PC games). 

I like PFE (and Frank Hunters PC games) because he uses a full map image and not tiled images for his maps.  I did a mod for his Guns of August game that he really liked and subsequently included in a patch.  He then contacted me about doing the map from start to finish for PFE.  He has some more projects in the works that he's asked me to look in to and I'd be happy to help him out again.
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: Rayfer on March 22, 2015, 07:36:31 AM
I passed a couple weeks ago on the Matrix sale for PFE @ $19.99....wish I had got it based on what I saw in spelk's video. Perhaps it goes on sale again during the holidays.
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: Staggerwing on March 22, 2015, 09:15:59 AM
It's great work Gary.  O0
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: spelk on March 22, 2015, 02:13:31 PM
Second part of my video AAR of PFE.

Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: spelk on March 28, 2015, 06:17:41 AM
Finally got round to finishing this AAR off. Its about 40+ mins again!

Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: gameleaper on April 05, 2015, 03:11:33 AM
Quote from: spelk on March 28, 2015, 06:17:41 AM
Finally got round to finishing this AAR off. Its about 40+ mins again!



I bought this game because I saw your AAR(nice german surrender at the end haha) , the game what Ive done so far is real good, the supply model is unbelievably good, I have some games at this sort of level scale, but this one feels like a thrill, its more of an interactive experience with simul moves. thx
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: spelk on April 05, 2015, 05:17:21 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on April 05, 2015, 03:11:33 AM
I bought this game because I saw your AAR(nice german surrender at the end haha) , the game what Ive done so far is real good, the supply model is unbelievably good, I have some games at this sort of level scale, but this one feels like a thrill, its more of an interactive experience with simul moves. thx

Cool, glad you like the game. It remained dormant on my hard drive for quite some time after release. I played a quick game of it when I downloaded the beta (http://sugarfreegamer.com/piercing-fortress-europa-quick-look/), back in February 2014, but shelved it for other shinier baubles to play with. Then this thread come up, and I got all excited about it again.

It does have a lot going on under the hood, especially with the supply mechanic. Apart from the two step shuffle, you have to do with left click, right click to get to a counter in the stack, I think its an easy to play wargame with some depth to it.
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: gameleaper on April 05, 2015, 04:19:04 PM
Quote from: spelk on April 05, 2015, 05:17:21 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on April 05, 2015, 03:11:33 AM
I bought this game because I saw your AAR(nice german surrender at the end haha) , the game what Ive done so far is real good, the supply model is unbelievably good, I have some games at this sort of level scale, but this one feels like a thrill, its more of an interactive experience with simul moves. thx

Cool, glad you like the game. It remained dormant on my hard drive for quite some time after release. I played a quick game of it when I downloaded the beta (http://sugarfreegamer.com/piercing-fortress-europa-quick-look/), back in February 2014, but shelved it for other shinier baubles to play with. Then this thread come up, and I got all excited about it again.

It does have a lot going on under the hood, especially with the supply mechanic. Apart from the two step shuffle, you have to do with left click, right click to get to a counter in the stack, I think its an easy to play wargame with some depth to it.

I looked for more videos on it on youtube, and your the only one to do any,I missed the matrix sale, but I used my matrix easter token thanks again.
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: Tamas on April 24, 2015, 08:54:11 AM
Hi Guys,

Rasputitsa from the Matrix Forums asked me to post this here as he has not been able to register to Grogheads for some reason:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3820441

It's a very interesting map mod for PFE, changing the game's look significantly.
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: Greybriar on April 24, 2015, 09:32:24 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on March 09, 2015, 10:54:30 AM
It's 50% off.....$19.99 digital download. Anyone playing or have played this? Thumbs up or down?

It looks like the sale is over. I'm seeing $39.99 for the digital download (http://www.matrixgames.com/products/467/details/Piercing.Fortress.Europa).
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: Pete Dero on April 24, 2015, 09:47:55 AM
This week Battlefront is on sale.
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: chemkid on April 25, 2015, 02:28:57 AM
another map modification for pfe is ready to download:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3848767

cheers!
chem!
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: magnus on April 25, 2015, 10:31:36 AM
All I had to do was extract your graphics into the correct folders, correct?

They looked great on the thread at Matrix, but I don't seem to have them even after extraction.

I did it over again and it worked this time. Excellent map and counters, thank you.
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: chemkid on April 25, 2015, 11:23:52 AM
thanks magnus!  :) glad you managed it yourself.
... i attached a small screenshot of the mod in action, have fun!

cheers!
chem!

Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: Staggerwing on April 25, 2015, 12:05:45 PM
Chem- is that Timothy Leary as your avatar?
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: spelk on April 25, 2015, 01:07:58 PM
Really like the look of the map and counters mod. I'll be downloading and installing them ASAP.
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: chemkid on April 25, 2015, 01:16:28 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 25, 2015, 12:05:45 PM
Chem- is that Timothy Leary as your avatar?
yes. Dr. Leary himself.
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: magnus on April 25, 2015, 03:04:22 PM
Thank you again, twice now.

I have to go listen to some Moody Blues.

I thought it was him, but forgot to ask.
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: Boggit on April 26, 2015, 09:57:25 AM
I reviewed it here: http://grogheads.com/?p=5413#more-5413

It's not perfect, but certainly is a good game with some interesting concepts. The emphasis on supply management adds a lot to the realism for operational planning.

I love that map mod Chemkid, and will be downloading it - nice! O0
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: Boggit on April 26, 2015, 10:13:43 AM
@Spelk :)

Nice first video AAR. O0
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: chemkid on April 27, 2015, 06:33:13 AM
Quote from: spelk on April 25, 2015, 01:07:58 PM
Really like the look of the map and counters mod. I'll be downloading and installing them ASAP.
O0 thanks for the plug on your blog!
Title: Re: Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa
Post by: spelk on April 27, 2015, 08:01:58 AM
Quote from: chemkid on April 27, 2015, 06:33:13 AM
O0 thanks for the plug on your blog!

No worries, thanks for taking the time and effort to give PFE a bit of a do-over.

Now if only *someone* would have a crack at Brother Against Brother counters/chits... ;)