https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RN-vqUYTyg
looking quite cool
I hope they finally do some work on the AI, giving it more than one strategy. Got sick of seeing squishy AI passing teams, like wood elves, "cage up" and try to brute force down the field or a Dwarf team passing out of it's cage of blockers to some fumblefingers far down the field. The AI tactics didn't always fit the team style. Most people just called it stupid but I think it's One Size Fits All approach was a major part of the issue.
The online multi-player league in the original is fun but it requires your full attention for the whole 20-30 minute match due to turn timers, so it's not always possible or convenient. Hence the need for improved single-player AI.
I was looking at the preorder last night on gamersgate and they give you an option pick Lizardmen or Wood Elves not both. This game is clearly going to be DLC heavy if you want all of the teams, since right now you are guaranteed to have to buy at least one before it even releases.
Quote from: Bison on August 06, 2015, 08:46:31 AM
I was looking at the preorder last night on gamersgate and they give you an option pick Lizardmen or Wood Elves not both. This game is clearly going to be DLC heavy if you want all of the teams, since right now you are guaranteed to have to buy at least one before it even releases.
It wouldn't have been a problem if we didn't already have to purchase the entire game several times before :-\
I know Americans say it's not like American football I'm sure some knowledge of American football and tactics would help in this game as I found BB1 very hard to play.
Yep.. DLC-fest.
I may be able to choke that down if they've widened the AI's abilities. If not, I still have the previous versions which have more teams to choose from.
Quote from: TacticalWargames on August 06, 2015, 10:14:05 AM
I know Americans say it's not like American football I'm sure some knowledge of American football and tactics would help in this game as I found BB1 very hard to play.
It's not like American football, except in some trivial fluff ways (being supposedly based on "NFL" rules -- badly translated by the dwarven discoverers.)
It might be like rugby. It isn't like soccer.
It is probably closest to rugby, but it has forward passing like American football.
Quote from: vyshka on August 09, 2015, 01:58:37 AM
It is probably closest to rugby, but it has forward passing like American football.
Or soccer or lacross or hockey or... ;)
(Though the ball is definitely more like American football.)
That reminds me, wasn't there going to be a rugby management/gamesim released this year? Oh, I was thinking of Rugby Challenge 2, which I've heard turned out pretty well, but for some reason never came to Steam last year. RC3 has a demo up on Steam already, and should be released this year.
Just watched that BBII teaser...it looks *really* good. This is releasing soon, right? Probably a first day buy even though It sucks having most teams as DLC's...poor Halfling's will never see the pitch. :)
The Undead DLC came out for Blood Bowl 2 today.
You get it for free, if you already owned BB2. O0
Which is quite nice. Especially since I picked up BB2 on a sale recently.
Is BB2 as rough as any of the BB iterations (Chaos/Legendary Editions)?
I know the argument that "BB cheats" is an old one and has been refuted numerous times, but I'm just curious if people are saying more of the same with this version.
Still pretty similar to the previous one, with some notable UI changes.
The reason I picked it up was because they supposedly added different AI tactics to the different teams, for single-player.
The AI issues in the earlier BBs was infuriating. I realize a great AI for a board game like this just isn't in the cards, but the big problem was the AI only using one play style. I'd see squishy teams, such as Wood Elves, trying to cage up and power their way through my defense (and get KO'd & killed all the time) or the occasional long bomb by a Dwarf team. The AI often played right into it's own team's weaknesses. The devs attempted to mitigate such bad play by giving the AI teams' players some extra level-ups at the beginning of the single player campaigns, in the later version.
BB2 supposedly has different sets of AI tactics so the teams play more to their strengths. Probably still won't win any awards, but having specialized behaviors should be a big difference if they put enough effort in to differentiate them.
Unfortunately there are fewer playable teams in BB2 than the last of the original series. But they're steadily adding extras, in DLC, which are free to those who already own the base game. So I'm not gonna complain if they continue giving us more w/o charging extra.
I ALWAYS have a hard time with Blood Bowl Legendary Edition on Steam.
I installed it today and decided to give it a try. I built up an Orc team (decent enough all-around for starting out) and my first game was against a Wood Elf team. I figured this would be easy if I played it smart. So I did all the no-risk moves first, then caged the ball, then had my Orc Thrower run up and pick up the ball (good thing he has Sure Hands, otherwise he'd have fumbled it). Then it was the Wood Elf team's turn. Several went right through my front defensive line (no surprise, really), but when one of their gorram catchers ran RIGHT up to one of my Black Orcs forming part of the cage around my Thrower, and not only knocked down said Black Orc but also knocked him the hell out, I had to rage quit once again. F*c*in' Blood Bowl...it just can't stand it, it HAS to pull shite like that every time I get the nerve up to try again. :buck2:
The arguments against the game cheating with die rolls is that anyone experiencing that is a bad player. I have some experience playing it back in the day (still have my board, too, I think) and know the general ins and outs, but I gotta say, even when you hedge your bets and get a 2- or 3-die roll, the results are pretty maybe 1 out of every 10 such throws of those dice. Things like Wood Elf catchers knocking over huge brutes without a bead of sweat is pretty much par for the course. I know it's in the realm of RNG possibilities, but it just pissed me off that this happened right on the first play. Sigh.
Ah well. I'll try it again soon enough, I'm sure.
Computer generated RNGesus, man.
Can't live with 'em... can't report them to the Roman authorities.
If it makes you feel just as bad, I get terrible die-rolling stretches in board games. Possibly more so than computer games. All bad luck! :))
People complained about it in another GW board game port, Mordheim, that the developers supposedly replaced the RNG code with a new one. ;D Still doesn't take away the pain of losing your characters in a freak polearm-dropping accident I suppose.
Play it live or via email with another "real" person...much more enjoyable. O0
Quote from: GJK on July 26, 2016, 08:20:09 PM
Play it live or via email with another "real" person...much more enjoyable. O0
Digital BB worked great for multi-player. Well... as long as your connection latency wasn't too high, due to the developer's shitty net code. Had a few complete disconnects from games against Frenchmen, in one of the earlier BB PC versions.
I'm hoping they also fixed that in BB2 because the online league was pretty cool last I checked. Jump in & play without planning or setup. Level-up your teams as you pummel BB-addicted Frogs across the pond. O0 Or set up your own league(s) with friends.
Works great on VASSAL: http://garykrockover.com/BB/
Or via FUMBBL: https://fumbbl.com/
I don't trust that dice roller at all in any of the digital conversions, personally.
Between BB1:Chaos and BB2, a lot of bug stomping is still going on in BB2.
Take that as you will.