GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Bison on April 30, 2012, 10:16:23 AM

Title: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Bison on April 30, 2012, 10:16:23 AM
As often as I told myself I'd never pre-order another game, I find that sometimes I just cannot help myself.   Currently I've got 2 games on pre-order and I'm only confident one of them won't be a release day disaster.

Diablo 3  (This game will rock.  If Blizzard does anything, they release a well QA/QC product)
Warlock: Master of the Arcane  (I'm afraid, very afraid about the condition this will release in on the 8th.  It's Paradox and that is cause enough for concern.  I just want a good fantasy 4X game.  I cannot help myself.)

Anyone else got games they just had to foolishly breakdown and pre-order?
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Gusington on April 30, 2012, 10:20:28 AM
Diablo III here too, and the companion book. I want to pre-order Commander: The Great War but it's isn't available yet for pre-order. At least it wasn't the last time I checked. Not that it matters as it comes out in two weeks, allegedly.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: LongBlade on April 30, 2012, 10:27:08 AM
Quote from: Bison on April 30, 2012, 10:16:23 AM
As often as I told myself I'd never pre-order another game, I find that sometimes I just cannot help myself.   Currently I've got 2 games on pre-order and I'm only confident one of them won't be a release day disaster.

Diablo 3  (This game will rock.  If Blizzard does anything, they release a well QA/QC product)
Warlock: Master of the Arcane  (I'm afraid, very afraid about the condition this will release in on the 8th.  It's Paradox and that is cause enough for concern.  I just want a good fantasy 4X game.  I cannot help myself.)

Anyone else got games they just had to foolishly breakdown and pre-order?

Warlock hasn't released yet? Then I still have time.

Let me see how the latest build looks, Bison. My earlier experience with preview code suggests you're going to really like the game.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: undercovergeek on April 30, 2012, 10:29:14 AM
Port royale 3 is on order..... There's not much else on the horizon for me that's preorderable although I haven't looked into warlock that deeply.... Ill check it out
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: LongBlade on April 30, 2012, 10:31:12 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on April 30, 2012, 10:29:14 AM
Port royale 3 is on order..... There's not much else on the horizon for me although I haven't looked into warlock that deeply.... Ill check it out

Turn-based fantasy strategy game. I found it pretty addicting. Need to dive in now and get something written.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Gusington on April 30, 2012, 10:32:52 AM
I am interested in Port Royale 3 but don't know much about it. I have the first two games around here somewhere but have never installed them. I played the original Patrician about 12 years ago.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Bison on April 30, 2012, 10:48:27 AM
I'm waiting on Port Royale 3.  I have my doubts about it.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: undercovergeek on April 30, 2012, 11:25:46 AM
Quote from: Bison on April 30, 2012, 10:48:27 AM
I'm waiting on Port Royale 3.  I have my doubts about it.

what are you doubting?
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: undercovergeek on April 30, 2012, 11:26:21 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on April 30, 2012, 10:31:12 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on April 30, 2012, 10:29:14 AM
Port royale 3 is on order..... There's not much else on the horizon for me although I haven't looked into warlock that deeply.... Ill check it out

Turn-based fantasy strategy game. I found it pretty addicting. Need to dive in now and get something written.

is this the one that looks like fantasy Civ?
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Bison on April 30, 2012, 11:27:04 AM
That it will be an actual improvement over PR2 beyond a graphical upgrade.  I was disappointed by Patrician 4.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Bison on April 30, 2012, 11:28:28 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on April 30, 2012, 11:26:21 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on April 30, 2012, 10:31:12 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on April 30, 2012, 10:29:14 AM
Port royale 3 is on order..... There's not much else on the horizon for me although I haven't looked into warlock that deeply.... Ill check it out

Turn-based fantasy strategy game. I found it pretty addicting. Need to dive in now and get something written.

is this the one that looks like fantasy Civ?
Yes.  It also looks like it uses the combat mechanics from the Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: son_of_montfort on April 30, 2012, 12:16:28 PM
Quote from: Bison on April 30, 2012, 10:48:27 AM
I'm waiting on Port Royale 3.  I have my doubts about it.

Patrician IV (or whatever the number) was a decent upgrade. What are your doubts?

I have Warlock and Diablo 3 pre-ordered, as well as Guild Wars 2.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Bison on April 30, 2012, 12:24:31 PM
Pat3 took some really nice upgrades and then dorked with the system with removing all fleet management with captains and making marriages pointless.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: LongBlade on April 30, 2012, 12:25:18 PM
I've gotta say that Warlock has a great "one more turn" feeling. Turns are short so it's easy to get lost in the "five more minutes syndrome."
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Gusington on April 30, 2012, 12:39:06 PM
Are there tactical battles in Warlock or does it play like Civ? Are there different ages to progress through? I am still recovering from bad purchase decisions in this genre! :/
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: LongBlade on April 30, 2012, 12:48:43 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 30, 2012, 12:39:06 PM
Are there tactical battles in Warlock or does it play like Civ? Are there different ages to progress through? I am still recovering from bad purchase decisions in this genre! :/

It's like Civ - no tactical battles like Total War. What's cool is that it seems to have hit a sweet spot between having enough moving parts to make it interesting without being too complicated. I played a ton of an early build and then got pulled away on other stuff. I had forgotten just how much fun it really is. This could be the next great turn-based strategy fantasy game.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 30, 2012, 12:49:06 PM
Sniper Elite v2
Iron Front: 1944
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Gusington on April 30, 2012, 01:05:05 PM
So Warlock goes on sale next week eh? Sounds very good. I will wait for the reviews first though. There's not a lot of info out there right now.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Onion on April 30, 2012, 01:10:51 PM
I played PR2 a lot after I finally got the hang of it. It took a lot of false starts and sitting on a shelf for a long time. Now I consider PR3 a must buy.

AS much as I liked PR2 I never got into Patrician even though I own the two latest versions.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Tpek on April 30, 2012, 01:32:49 PM
Warlock is simply a silly Civ V mod.
After playing the demo I became so unimpressed that I'd really not waste any money on it (You DO know there is a free demo available on Steam, right?).

As for pre-orders, I've got some. I was in the Guild Wars 2 weekend event, but was only able to play a few hours on Sunday thanks to the countless error messages most of the world
received when trying to log in :P

I've got a few Indies-in-beta, and have prepurchased the new Shadowrun game.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Gusington on April 30, 2012, 01:38:46 PM
^LB begs to differ with you on Warlock.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Bison on April 30, 2012, 01:41:18 PM
As long as it's not an Elemental gaming experience I'll be happy.  I'm still suffering from Elemental shock.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Gusington on April 30, 2012, 01:52:37 PM
^Yeah that's what I was alluding to above. Still have the pewter dragon though.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Kushan on April 30, 2012, 03:04:26 PM
Only thing I have on pre-order right now is my two collector editions of Diablo 3. I'm going to wait for review on Warlock before I decide to buy it or not.

I am going to pre-order Endless Space sometime in the next week or so. I'm always on the look out for space 4x games.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Tpek on April 30, 2012, 03:55:52 PM
Quote from: Kushan on April 30, 2012, 03:04:26 PM
Only thing I have on pre-order right now is my two collector editions of Diablo 3. I'm going to wait for review on Warlock before I decide to buy it or not.

I am going to pre-order Endless Space sometime in the next week or so. I'm always on the look out for space 4x games.

Why 2 copies????


@Gus, well, LB is entitled to his opinion. I still believe Warlock (or Porkchop as I prefer to call it) is hardly even mediocre.
Frankly, Fallen Enchantress, the new Elemental, is far superior while still only being in early beta.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: LongBlade on April 30, 2012, 04:45:01 PM
Quote from: Tpek on April 30, 2012, 03:55:52 PM
Quote from: Kushan on April 30, 2012, 03:04:26 PM
Only thing I have on pre-order right now is my two collector editions of Diablo 3. I'm going to wait for review on Warlock before I decide to buy it or not.

I am going to pre-order Endless Space sometime in the next week or so. I'm always on the look out for space 4x games.

Why 2 copies????


@Gus, well, LB is entitled to his opinion. I still believe Warlock (or Porkchop as I prefer to call it) is hardly even mediocre.
Frankly, Fallen Enchantress, the new Elemental, is far superior while still only being in early beta.

I'm curious about some of the specifics you're not liking. The AI is brain-dead, but I kinda like my strategy games that way. Warlock seems almost like a 4X kind of game in a fantasy setting. For me it's an easy game to play. Nothing stressful, I don't have to think, the next thing I know an hour has gone by and I've had a good time.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Grim.Reaper on April 30, 2012, 04:53:59 PM
Only game on pre-order for me right now is Sniper Elite V2...been waiting patiently.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: TheCommandTent on April 30, 2012, 06:55:36 PM
Does pledging a Kickstarter count as a pre-order.  If so put me down for Wasteland 2.  Just 18 months to go....  :o

Other then that I am usually a wuss about pre-ordering.  I have been burned before by games that did not come in a playable form or were full of bugs.  Yes I am looking at you Elemental.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Gusington on April 30, 2012, 07:02:58 PM
^I didn't even think of Wasteland 2...I am also on preorder for it.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Arctic Blast on April 30, 2012, 08:03:26 PM
Only Diablo III right now. Got the installer downloaded, now I just have to wait for the 15th...
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Kushan on April 30, 2012, 09:24:53 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on April 30, 2012, 04:45:01 PM
Quote from: Tpek on April 30, 2012, 03:55:52 PM
Quote from: Kushan on April 30, 2012, 03:04:26 PM
Only thing I have on pre-order right now is my two collector editions of Diablo 3. I'm going to wait for review on Warlock before I decide to buy it or not.

I am going to pre-order Endless Space sometime in the next week or so. I'm always on the look out for space 4x games.

Why 2 copies????


@Gus, well, LB is entitled to his opinion. I still believe Warlock (or Porkchop as I prefer to call it) is hardly even mediocre.
Frankly, Fallen Enchantress, the new Elemental, is far superior while still only being in early beta.

I'm curious about some of the specifics you're not liking. The AI is brain-dead, but I kinda like my strategy games that way. Warlock seems almost like a 4X kind of game in a fantasy setting. For me it's an easy game to play. Nothing stressful, I don't have to think, the next thing I know an hour has gone by and I've had a good time.

1 to keep sealed and put on my shelf full of Blizzard games, 1 to open and play.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Martok on May 01, 2012, 12:45:46 AM
If Kickstarter projects count, then I have a copy of StarDrive waiting for me when it comes out later this year. 

Still thinking about pre-ordering Endless Space too, but the damn Steam requirement has kept me from pulling the trigger. 




Quote from: Bison on April 30, 2012, 01:41:18 PM
As long as it's not an Elemental gaming experience I'll be happy.  I'm still suffering from Elemental shock.
Since I was dumb enough to pre-order War of Magic (the Limited Edition, no less), I'm automatically in for a copy of Fallen Enchantress as well.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 


Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Bison on May 01, 2012, 12:49:05 AM
Quote from: Martok on May 01, 2012, 12:45:46 AM
If Kickstarter projects count, then I have a copy of StarDrive waiting for me when it comes out later this year. 

Still thinking about pre-ordering Endless Space too, but the damn Steam requirement has kept me from pulling the trigger. 




Quote from: Bison on April 30, 2012, 01:41:18 PM
As long as it's not an Elemental gaming experience I'll be happy.  I'm still suffering from Elemental shock.
Since I was dumb enough to pre-order War of Magic (the Limited Edition, no less), I'm automatically in for a copy of Fallen Enchantress as well.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Yeah me too, but I'll not be downloading until it's several months past released and patched.  Here's to hoping Brad and team got it right this time.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Greybriar on May 01, 2012, 09:28:42 AM
Diablo III is the only game I have on pre-order right now.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Onion on May 01, 2012, 11:32:31 AM
Am I delusional thinking that the crazy amount of money raised for Wasteland 2 might indicate to somebody that there is a huge base of adults with disposable income looking for good quality games (ie: real RPG's) like  we remember from our youth that are not dumbed down console based twitchfests?

Unless of course they let Sid Meier "re-imagine" it for them (like Railroads)!
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Gusington on May 01, 2012, 11:37:16 AM
^No, you're not. Thus the beauty of Kickstarter!
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Tpek on May 01, 2012, 12:17:40 PM
Add me to the list of nitwits who forgot they had Wasteland 2 on pre-order :P

@LB, Well, for once I am not such a great fan of the Civ series, and when it comes to fantasy mods, I liked that old Civ4-Complete mod much more than this fantasy one.
Research is sorely lacking and really simplistic and pointless. Annoying monsters keep roaming about causing endless amounts of nuisance, especially if they are flying ones and therefore require specific troops to use against.
You can barely build any buildings with what looks like a bad attempt to take Elemental's city development system and integrate it into the Civilization 5 engine.

Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: LongBlade on May 01, 2012, 12:26:38 PM
Quote from: Tpek on May 01, 2012, 12:17:40 PM
Add me to the list of nitwits who forgot they had Wasteland 2 on pre-order :P

@LB, Well, for once I am not such a great fan of the Civ series, and when it comes to fantasy mods, I liked that old Civ4-Complete mod much more than this fantasy one.
Research is sorely lacking and really simplistic and pointless. Annoying monsters keep roaming about causing endless amounts of nuisance, especially if they are flying ones and therefore require specific troops to use against.
You can barely build any buildings with what looks like a bad attempt to take Elemental's city development system and integrate it into the Civilization 5 engine.

Hmmm.

OK.

I don't know what to say. It's hitting the sweet spot for me in terms of addictive quality.

Certainly I could knock its teeth out about how things shouldn't work (it would help if I had a game manual - cities are restricted to building only when the population is sufficient and I still haven't figured out how to make cities grow. They just do.).

The monsters are randomly distributed across the map and generally leave you alone, but overreaching will invite aggro.

Even so, I'm seeing a game that follows in the footsteps of Disciples II. I stayed away from Elemental due to all the bad press so I have not played it. The Civ games are good but frankly I get bored with all the sideshows - I'm not interested in conquering the world with the best culture. Give me armies and let them go forth. That's what Warlock does and I'm loving it.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Gusington on May 01, 2012, 12:30:16 PM
^No PDF manual or in-game manual in your build?
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: MIGMaster on May 01, 2012, 12:34:03 PM
I had to force myself to stop doing the pre-order thing. I was getting to the point I needed to get into a 28 day program!
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: LongBlade on May 01, 2012, 12:35:36 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 01, 2012, 12:30:16 PM
^No PDF manual or in-game manual in your build?

Haven't found it. I think I've got a gold copy.

Still, you don't really need it. An "advisor" constantly pops up and explains stuff to you, and pop-up tool tips cover almost everything else. The in-game tutorial system is pretty tight. There are some details left out, but overall I'm hardly complaining. This is exactly how a game should be structured: you can sit down and start playing without touching any manual.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Gusington on May 01, 2012, 12:39:59 PM
^I am finding Hegemony to be similar. Except there is an in-game manual.

So Warlock is being released next week right? I will base my purchase on reviews.

It doesn't help that it's releasing a week before Diablo...
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: LongBlade on May 01, 2012, 12:43:32 PM
I have not looked at Diablo, and in a move that will likely stun the gaming world I must confess I never played any of the earlier Diablos.

I sincerely doubt that Warlock will be some kind of Diablo-killer. It's a different kind of game. But if you're looking for a turn-based strategy game set in a fantasy world, I've gotta say that Warlock looks really good.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Gusington on May 01, 2012, 01:00:09 PM
^I just happen to be looking for that.

I would hazard a guess that many who are looking forward to Diablo would also like Warlock for all of it's magicky-dark fantasy content, despite the fact that it is a strategy game while Diablo is a hack 'n' slash.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Arctic Blast on May 01, 2012, 02:34:35 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on May 01, 2012, 12:43:32 PM
I have not looked at Diablo, and in a move that will likely stun the gaming world I must confess I never played any of the earlier Diablos.

You aren't alone. D3 will be my first Diablo.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Gusington on May 01, 2012, 02:51:39 PM
I didn't play the first one but dug the second one.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 01, 2012, 04:15:23 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on May 01, 2012, 12:43:32 PM
I have not looked at Diablo, and in a move that will likely stun the gaming world I must confess I never played any of the earlier Diablos.



I played a few hours of the first one, found it to be a shallow, repetative click-fest and never looked at it again.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: TheCommandTent on May 01, 2012, 07:00:37 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on May 01, 2012, 12:43:32 PM
It's a different kind of game. But if you're looking for a turn-based strategy game set in a fantasy world, I've gotta say that Warlock looks really good.

Why do you have to say things like this.  Its not really helping...   ::)
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: LongBlade on May 01, 2012, 07:18:58 PM
Maybe we should start our own reality show, Diablo Virgins.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: Gusington on May 01, 2012, 07:29:07 PM
^I have a por...er, nevermind.
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: undercovergeek on May 02, 2012, 04:45:45 AM
feeling the love for the Warlock after much reading
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: LongBlade on May 03, 2012, 09:59:37 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 02, 2012, 04:45:45 AM
feeling the love for the Warlock after much reading

Here's a YouTube tutorial that covers most of the game's mechanics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snbuxjVbcmQ
Title: Re: Games on Pre-order
Post by: LongBlade on May 03, 2012, 10:01:32 AM
And here's a link to the demo: http://store.steampowered.com/app/203630/