GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Tech Talk => Topic started by: sandman2575 on March 18, 2015, 03:10:46 PM

Title: Anyone else regret 'upgrading' to 1440p?
Post by: sandman2575 on March 18, 2015, 03:10:46 PM
I've had this idea for a while that I really needed to get a 2560x1440 monitor becuz that's what all the cool kids are doing (except for the supercool kids who are dabbling in 4K).  I've used a very trusty Asus 24" 144Hz 1080p monitor for a couple of years. It was great, although the colors were always a bit 'meh.'

So I finally took the plunge on a new Dell 1440p monitor, the U2715H 27".  It's gorgeous, no question. The upgrade from a TN to a fancy IPS screen is certainly noticeable.  To be honest, I don't really notice the difference in the slower refresh rate (60Hz vs. 144Hz) on the 1440p Dell.

But the EYE STRAIN!  It burns!  Text is miniscule -- even using the 125% DPI setting. Games like EUIV are simply unplayable for me without the larger font mod.

(I'd use the 150% DPI except Combat Misison x2 won't run in 1440p on this setting for some damned reason, and I play *a lot* of Combat Mission...).

Yeah, the extra real-estate of a 27" monitor is nice. 1440p resolution is crisp and sharp. But my eyes are just so tired.  I set the resolution to 1080p, and feel like a chump using this expensive 1440p monitor at 1080p, but it's just so much less visually exhausting.

Mostly just whinging and venting here...  But misery loves company -- anyone else here find 1440p less awesome than expected?
Title: Re: Anyone else regret 'upgrading' to 1440p?
Post by: bbmike on March 18, 2015, 04:17:05 PM
I have an Alienware 17 with 1920x1080 resolution. The screen looks great as you say but my old eyes can't read the tiny text. I have to use reading glasses most of the time when using it!
Title: Re: Anyone else regret 'upgrading' to 1440p?
Post by: sandman2575 on March 18, 2015, 06:24:37 PM
Stay away from 1440p then, my friend!  I've worn glasses for years, eyes are def. not the best, but in general have no problems with 1920x1080.
Title: Re: Anyone else regret 'upgrading' to 1440p?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 18, 2015, 06:38:16 PM
It can ruin pr0n.
Title: Re: Anyone else regret 'upgrading' to 1440p?
Post by: sandman2575 on March 18, 2015, 09:16:31 PM
See? There's no end to the mischief 1440p can wreak  ;)

Seriously, the Dell is a very nice monitor. I'm just starting to wish I had opted for a 1080p G-sync capable monitor instead.
Title: Re: Anyone else regret 'upgrading' to 1440p?
Post by: JasonPratt on March 28, 2015, 11:44:38 AM
My new Surface Pro 3 defaults to 1440p, on a 12 inch screen. You can foresee the problems involved...  :P

And it still occasionally looks like blurry crap, which is weird. Apparently some sites, like the Steam shell, still aren't coded to run 1440p optimally, so there's distortion -- not everywhere but sometimes.

Setting the general screen resolution to 1080p, results in a screen exactly the same size (not zoomed in even one bit, so all the text is exactly the same size for example) with "widescreen" black bars top and bottom.  :uglystupid2: