GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: MetalDog on March 20, 2015, 06:07:55 AM

Title: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: MetalDog on March 20, 2015, 06:07:55 AM
This Friday thread is dedicated to the recently passed Clive Burr.  RIP.



Well, as anyone who has listened to the latest GrogCast, http://grogheads.com/?podcast=the-grogcast-episode-2, you would know I will most likely be playing Civ IV Beyond the Sword in my continuing effort to better my playing style and learn Monarch.  Anything else after that is an accident ;)
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Gusington on March 20, 2015, 07:39:52 AM
Leaving behind Sid Meier's Starships for some Homeworld and Endless Space. And then back to Attila TW soon.
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Barthheart on March 20, 2015, 07:58:49 AM
Back at Tropico 5. It's fun and I really like the era system.

Just realized that my gaming budget took a massive hit with the low Canuk buck exchange and the ending of the OST kickstarter.... so I will not be getting Cities Skyline any time soon...  :(

Still need to get Cyrano that Normandy turn.... tomorrow sir fer sure.  ;)

Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: spelk on March 20, 2015, 08:13:16 AM
I desperately want to get some Piercing Fortress Europe in, but Vietnam '65 is carrying me away on a Huey! No doubt, in transit, I'll be distracted by Bladestorm:Nightmare simply because I can command a troop of medieval archers in a Joan of Arc/Fantasy/Dynasty Warriors style.





P.S. Has ANYONE done a Lets Play video with Piercing Fortress Europe? If not, why not?
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: sandman2575 on March 20, 2015, 09:27:56 AM
OOTP 16, and nuthin' but...
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Anguille on March 20, 2015, 09:28:43 AM
I plan to play mostly my Armada 2526 Supernova campaign with the Teyes . It's going to be tough to catch up with the score (I think I am number 7) and will require going to war as population score won't be enough. But I still have something like 700 turns left.

Also would like to complete the random scenario I started a while back in Omerta: city of gangsters.
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Sir Slash on March 20, 2015, 10:19:28 AM
DC: Case Blue- 1st. Panzer Army campaign continues. Try as I might, I just can't seem to get good at this game even against the easiest level AI. But I'm not giving up.... yet. And R2TW As the German Confederation lines-up to take on Sparta. Should be some heavy duty spearing going on there. :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Nefaro on March 20, 2015, 10:26:28 AM
Full-on tabletop gaming lately.

Looks like some campy Zombie and Sci-Fi this weekend with Dawn of the Zeds 2nd Ed, Conquest Of Planet Earth + Expansion, and Zombicide + Toxic City Mall exp.

CoPE reminds me that I've still yet to play Fortune & Glory, which I should do soon to see if it's enjoyable enough to pick up the Crimson Hand expansion with all the cultists baddies in it.  While the Nazi bad guys in the base game are good to have, I'm not so enamored with racing the second group (The Mob) to mythical artifacts Indiana Jones style.  Some crazy demon cultists would be fun though.  O0

Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: JudgeDredd on March 20, 2015, 10:46:34 AM
I doubt I'll get any gaming in...the 6 Nations Rugby Tournament finishes tomorrow so I'll be hitting the hard stuff from 12:00 until 20:00...what's the point of gaming when you're drunk?

Anyway - tonight, probably nothing. I might be doing some pre-shading on my 1/72 P-51 with my new airbrush. If not, I'll likely just be watching James Bond and Goldfinger.

Nothing Saturday as mentioned.

Sunday? Maybe. I've been dipping my toes into War in the West recently...wanting to start the big boy off...and then closed it down and played Cities:Skylines - it's easy to get into! Also, when I fire up War in the West I just think I should be giving World in Flames an opening....then I remember  :'(  :2funny:

Perhaps some Command Ops 2 if the speed issue has been fixed (it was that infuriating).

But more than likely though I'll be doing some more modelling. I've got a few models I want to make.
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: PanzersEast on March 20, 2015, 10:59:18 AM
Taking a break for the Board and doing a little traveling, but for most of the weekend I will play:

(|) Attila - as the W/E Romans or the Huns (got a little bored as Saxons)
(|) Endless Legend - Started a new play through, pretty relaxing game and good music
(|) EU IV - Playing as Austria but getting pretty close to the end
(|) Endless Dungeon - Fun to pick up and play in small burst

A reinstall of Rome 2 Emerpor's Edition for a new play though after Attila.  I have been wanting to play B-17 or Silent Hunter 3/4/5 again so maybe one of those as they are easy to pick up at any time.


PE
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: MengJiao on March 20, 2015, 11:02:42 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on March 20, 2015, 10:19:28 AM
DC: Case Blue- 1st. Panzer Army campaign continues. Try as I might, I just can't seem to get good at this game even against the easiest level AI. But I'm not giving up.... yet. And R2TW As the German Confederation lines-up to take on Sparta. Should be some heavy duty spearing going on there. :coolsmiley:

  Ah, Case Blue.  I had a fine game of that.  I took the Soviets, backed up the scenario to April 1942 (before the Fiascos at Kharkov and in the Crimea) and blasted the Axis to bits.  That's all I remember.

   But this weekend: Attila: Easy Franks, maybe some DCS and some boardgames of the GBoH variety.
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: bbmike on March 20, 2015, 12:29:19 PM
OOTP 16 and Worlds of Magic for certain. Maybe continue my Civ5 game, maybe try Star Ruler 2. And a bit of beta testing thrown in.
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: BanzaiCat on March 20, 2015, 12:49:37 PM
GrogCast Episode 3 finished editing late last and will be upcoming (next Tuesday I believe).  O0

I'm doing an AAR of both B-17 Queen of the Skies, which I've yet to start and probably won't until early April, and of Ottoman Sunset, which is seven turns in I believe.

I'll probably get some more Ottoman Sunset in at the very least.
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: KyzBP on March 20, 2015, 12:49:58 PM
For me it will be Eastside Hockey Manager 2007, with a bit of Draft Day Sports: College Basketball 3, and then when I need a break from sports I'll head back to the jungles of SE Asia with Vietnam 65. 
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Huw the Poo on March 20, 2015, 01:32:01 PM
Nothing.

I'm finally ordering a new pee see this weekend!  So I'll be playing nothing, firstly because I'm too excited to concentrate on anything, and secondly because I need to prepare....clear the desk area a bit, get cables ready, prepare for the data transfer, make the current PC suitable for use as a backup (or possible file/media server) etc.
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: sandman2575 on March 20, 2015, 01:35:03 PM
Congrats, Huw.  Specs?
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on March 20, 2015, 01:35:50 PM
This weekend, it's going to be mostly World of Tanks and World of Warships. Not sure if I'll have time to tackle a bit of WWI Centennial Edition or not.
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: undercovergeek on March 20, 2015, 01:48:12 PM
Ill do a bit of a rares run in Elite, tempted to cram for a vulture but maybe not - still waiting for a decent armed trader with about 70 tonne capacity. Got interdicted by a hooman for the first time yesterday - i was mass locked so it had to be a pretty big ship he had but because i have an A class power distributor i could leave the jump drive charging for the 40 seconds and i wouldnt over heat and i dont think he noticed that - he went straight for the attack - reduced me to 1% shield and then said 'give me 20 tonnes of cargo', 28 seconds........... 'ummm yeah sure, you want some tea??'......... 20 seconds ' no i want 20 tonnes of rares please', 12 seconds, 'oh sure let me have a look what i can jettison, just hang on', 3 seconds, 2, 1............. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM hyperjump, byeeeeeeeeeee - felt cowardly but i have no guns and laughed all the way to the space station

A bit of skylines to relax, im such an OCD builder, i take all the joy out of spontaneity - all grids, all the same size, all in line - no curves, no imagination just an excel spreadsheet with houses on - i need to start again with a bit more pizzaz and thats not the plural for pizza

Im waiting for Con to hit me with some details for a CMBS PBEM, i think hes away at the mo

And for some reason some Endless Legend - i know it just got a massive update and a new race and i fancy having a go again - i need to watch a few lets plays, FELH isnt doing it for me - i read in a write up for legends that its a good story teller, you dont have to win, or you can easily win but its the journey not the result - not quite my style but well see

JD - good luck for avoiding the wooden spoon

Huw - i need to get the list out of games we couldnt play because of your PC - well done
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: PanzersEast on March 20, 2015, 02:03:25 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 20, 2015, 01:32:01 PM
Nothing.

I'm finally ordering a new pee see this weekend!  So I'll be playing nothing, firstly because I'm too excited to concentrate on anything, and secondly because I need to prepare....clear the desk area a bit, get cables ready, prepare for the data transfer, make the current PC suitable for use as a backup (or possible file/media server) etc.

O0 O0 Huw.... good times for sure.

Give us a update once you get it in place.

PE
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Zulu1966 on March 20, 2015, 02:10:15 PM
I shall be - as usual. realising I have a limited window of time to play anything. Make a determined promise to start learning something of numerous purchased but as yet unplayed  games. Flitting endlessly between them trying to decide but realising they will each likely eat up all the time just to get a start. Get frustrated and start up a combat mission game. Love it - and then get disappointed I have run out of time and didn't start earlier.

There is simply too much choice and I haven't a clue how to manage my limited gaming time. In fact my limited gaming time seems to consist of me trying to fathom how to manage my limited gaming time. :uglystupid2: :idiot2: :'(
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Toonces on March 20, 2015, 02:17:23 PM
I am finding myself drawn, yet again, into the vortex that is the American Civil War.  I booted up Scourge of War: Gettysburg last night and played a sandbox Army v. Army scenario and just had a blast fighting as BG Wadsworth's First Corps against the evil Rebels.  A full-on nail-biter that went on for 1.5 hours of real time with the Iron Brigade making a final, desperate stand on the hill with the cemetery on it.  So, definitely some more Scourge of War.  I'd really like to make a study of the game and learn how to play it properly.

I'm also making some real progress on Morrowind!  I contracted Corpus during my last quest and so I'm now following the main quest to get cured and follow the rabbit hole deeper. 
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 20, 2015, 02:59:54 PM
Quote from: Toonces on March 20, 2015, 02:17:23 PM
...against the evil Rebels.

:knuppel2:
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Kushan on March 20, 2015, 03:13:21 PM
I've been watching a ton of Quil18's Cities: Skyline LP this week. Going to finally dive in myself this weekend. Since I work for an architectural/structural engineering firm, I'm going to have to watch myself to prevent my cities form becoming a giant grid. Command will also see some dedicated time. Elite may see some time as well, depending on how much time Cities and Command take up.
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Martok on March 20, 2015, 03:21:05 PM
Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes for sure.  Hopefully at least one more mission in Klingon Academy if I have the patience for it.  Probably some Rome II as well -- that, or some good ol' MTW/VI. 

Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Cyrano on March 20, 2015, 04:11:35 PM
Now that my writing desk is a bit better cleared off...

CMBS vs. Doug continues...I conclude modern warfare involves lots of waiting and staring into the morning sun...

Leipzig AAR game vs. Doug

Kursk '43 vs. Doug...very visceral stuff.  What in the blue blazes the Germans thought they were on about is beyond me.  The power of the Luftwaffe and their artillery is nonetheless impressive.

Playtesting...and hoping a WoWships BETA ticket arrives.

Playing a lot of Tiny Epic Defenders.  Easy to do now that most games run below 1/2 hour.

May try to goad the boy into a game of Ogre: Designer's Edition...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: JasonPratt on March 20, 2015, 04:17:20 PM
Things were finally kind of moving along (if much earlier than I expected) in my Darkest Hour AAR Mod Russia campaign, though now I need to spend a couple of game years tucking my last hundred-ish factories into place. This could very conceivably result in me having 666 industrial capacity, at which time I fully expect the apocalypse to kick off. What's Russia's role in the apocalypse again...? Must check on this...  >:D

Having learned to be somewhat proficient in Le Havre and San Juan on my i4 recently (both are noncombat strategy builder card games -- fine adaptations to the iOS, though LH is very crowded on an iPhone4), I'm now working on learning how not to lose so horribly in Zulu on the Ramparts. I haven't succeeded in the goal of not losing horribly yet, but I'm working on it. My efforts are hampered by a major bug (or programming oversight) where the game never autosaves, so if the phone ever goes to sleep the game is lost. But I've recently reached two revelations:

1.) Fires in my barracks and the hospital inconvenience the Zulu almost as much as they inconvenience me, especially later in the game after the night-card is drawn, so I'm less concerned about wasting an action putting out fires now.

2.) The horns nominally only have 14 move-forwards each, and the centers only have 13 (aside from an extra 2 moves for wherever the unmarried regiment randomly is assigned at the start of the game, and aside from whatever the Prince brings back if he's drawn). Basically this means that as the game progresses a regiment which has had a lot of moves already will be less likely to draw new moves down the line, and so when choosing targets it's better by proportion to shoot the team who is more likely to draw a new move. Relatedly, managing to wipe out a regiment is uber helpful since its moves stay in the draw bag and result in basically missed turns for the Zulus and extra chances for me to shoot incomers or otherwise act; and since some regiments are weaker than others to start with it's a good idea to focus fire on them first if possible as they can be eliminated faster creating more free moves for the British. (Besides which, if even the most depleted regiment gets inside the fence it's game over and time to score, probably for a British loss.)

This also means the Boer corporal should be saved until later in the game (if possible) in order to mess with Zulu C&C by redrawing chits for regiments that are heavily damaged or, ideally, eliminated, increasing the chances of a free move for the British. I've only ever drawn the Prince once, and I seem to remember the game giving me the opportunity to pick chits with him, too, so the same thing applies: if possible, pick chits for whittled or eliminated regiments (though that isn't very fair. But anyone who has played this game knows it's almost impossible to beat anyway. The one time the Prince activated so far, it was fairly early and he rolled high enough I had no choice but to put all the spent movement chits back in.)


Aside from that, I may work on moving the main plot forward another step in Far Cry 3; and I might work on a screenshot AAR for Vietnam '65.
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: W8taminute on March 20, 2015, 04:34:07 PM
Quote from: spelk on March 20, 2015, 08:13:16 AM
I desperately want to get some Piercing Fortress Europe in, but Vietnam '65 is carrying me away on a Huey! No doubt, in transit, I'll be distracted by Bladestorm:Nightmare simply because I can command a troop of medieval archers in a Joan of Arc/Fantasy/Dynasty Warriors style.





P.S. Has ANYONE done a Lets Play video with Piercing Fortress Europe? If not, why not?


(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia2.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FrOTGSPxvJJY7m%2Fgiphy.gif&hash=2fe60596d18835605a89f1ca8c5e4ad5c8de3190)

Now there is a man with taste!  I've been eyeing this game all week.  I've got the PS3 version that was released a few years ago but the PS4 version adds the Nightmare campaign. 
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Huw the Poo on March 20, 2015, 04:37:59 PM
Thanks guys!  For the curious...bearing in mind I have an extremely limited budget, I think that something like this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Fast-Quad-Core-Home-Gaming-Computer-PC-4-2-AMD-HD8570D-8GB-1TB-CyclopsR-/400859438592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d55159e00) is going to give me the best bang for my buck - also bearing in mind that I have a recently-donated GTX 570 to plug in there too.  For the money, I think I'm going to have a fairly respectable rig.  Certainly a quantum leap forward from my current Pentium D Dual Core 1.8GHz, 4GB RAM piece of crap. ;)

Geek - yes indeed sir!  I've already created a category in my Steam library "games I will finally be able to play"!  Amongst them is Interstellar Marines; we have to give that co-op campaign another go eh, old chap?
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: undercovergeek on March 20, 2015, 04:49:29 PM
bang on!
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: PanzersEast on March 20, 2015, 05:08:54 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 20, 2015, 04:37:59 PM
Thanks guys!  For the curious...bearing in mind I have an extremely limited budget, I think that something like this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Fast-Quad-Core-Home-Gaming-Computer-PC-4-2-AMD-HD8570D-8GB-1TB-CyclopsR-/400859438592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d55159e00) is going to give me the best bang for my buck - also bearing in mind that I have a recently-donated GTX 570 to plug in there too.  For the money, I think I'm going to have a fairly respectable rig.  Certainly a quantum leap forward from my current Pentium D Dual Core 1.8GHz, 4GB RAM piece of crap. ;)

Geek - yes indeed sir!  I've already created a category in my Steam library "games I will finally be able to play"!  Amongst them is Interstellar Marines; we have to give that co-op campaign another go eh, old chap?

I'm in for some Interstellar Marines.... Ooh Rah.

PE
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: JudgeDredd on March 20, 2015, 05:23:33 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on March 20, 2015, 01:48:12 PM
...JD - good luck for avoiding the wooden spoon
Thanks - there's a chance - but it's very slim...and Scotland put themselves in that position. They should've beat France, Wales AND Italy. England at Twickenham was a big ask and unlikely to happen, but Scotland, given the way they played, should've been sitting pretty on 6 points. Instead, they're on nil point and the last game.

Deja vu - such is the life of a Scotland supporter!  :'(
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Huw the Poo on March 20, 2015, 05:54:11 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on March 20, 2015, 05:08:54 PM
I'm in for some Interstellar Marines.... Ooh Rah.

'Twould be fantastic to get some regular IM sessions in, timezones permitting.  It's a bloody good game.
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Father Ted on March 20, 2015, 06:03:26 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 20, 2015, 05:54:11 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on March 20, 2015, 05:08:54 PM
I'm in for some Interstellar Marines.... Ooh Rah.

'Twould be fantastic to get some regular IM sessions in, timezones permitting.  It's a bloody good game.

I'd give that a go - are we all Steamed Up?
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Skwerl on March 20, 2015, 06:40:55 PM
Given the recent news of the SSI reunion (of sorts):

Fantasy General
Star General
Age of Rifles
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Huw the Poo on March 20, 2015, 07:28:04 PM
Good news: I ordered my new PC! \o/

Bad news: The stupid "helpful" automated form-filling of my browser filled in my home postcode at the end of my work address.  Nooooo!  I immediately sent an email to the seller to ask them to change accordingly.  I hope this doesn't throw a spanner in the works. :(
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Airborne Rifles on March 20, 2015, 08:09:49 PM
Command for me. That and doing my taxes.
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Nefaro on March 21, 2015, 06:55:59 AM
Quote from: Toonces on March 20, 2015, 02:17:23 PM
I am finding myself drawn, yet again, into the vortex that is the American Civil War.  I booted up Scourge of War: Gettysburg last night and played a sandbox Army v. Army scenario and just had a blast fighting as BG Wadsworth's First Corps against the evil Rebels.  A full-on nail-biter that went on for 1.5 hours of real time with the Iron Brigade making a final, desperate stand on the hill with the cemetery on it.  So, definitely some more Scourge of War.  I'd really like to make a study of the game and learn how to play it properly.


It may sound weird, but I've been avoiding playing SOW lately because I know that once I start again I probably won't stop for awhile and everything else on "my list" will suffer.   :D

Once you get familiar with it's idiosyncrasies, you'll want to binge on it.  O0
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: JasonPratt on March 21, 2015, 10:17:32 AM
Well, I haven't gamed anything yet this weekend except Vietnam '65.

But I did start the Absolute Newbie AAR on it, as I'm learning the game, so there's that.

Also, werewolves are involved somehow. Vietnamese Verewolves. (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=13072.0) (Not in the game. But in the game.)
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: JasonPratt on March 21, 2015, 04:26:00 PM
About to do Day Four in the AAR (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=13072.0).

NOW NAMING VILLAGES AFTER GROGS who post in the thread!
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: bbmike on March 21, 2015, 06:04:23 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on March 21, 2015, 04:26:00 PM
About to do Day Four in the AAR (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=13072.0).

NOW NAMING VILLAGES AFTER GROGS who post in the thread!

Well, then I really shouldn't post in that thread. You can't have a village named bbmike. Even I don't like my username!  :buck2:
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: GJK on March 21, 2015, 06:20:35 PM
Quote from: bbmike on March 21, 2015, 06:04:23 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on March 21, 2015, 04:26:00 PM
About to do Day Four in the AAR (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=13072.0).

NOW NAMING VILLAGES AFTER GROGS who post in the thread!

Well, then I really shouldn't post in that thread. You can't have a village named bbmike. Even I don't like my username!  :buck2:

"bbMike" sounds like the name of a firebase.....I say go with it Jason.  ;)

I too found myself firing up SOW after getting an ACW urge again.  I'm reading the rules for The Gamers/MMP's "Line of Battle" series for an ultimate game of G'Burg but to scratch the itch quickly, I fired up SOW for a few hours. 
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: JasonPratt on March 21, 2015, 06:36:12 PM
Does Bbmike sound Vietnamese? -- I'm naming villages right now, not the forward bases.

Oh well; I've got to name a fourth village, soon, so if you post, Mike, I'll name it whatever you like.  O0

(Or even if you don't post, if you want to tell me here or by pm. :) )

So far, Besilarius, Banzai_cat, and undercovergeek, have villages named for them, btw.
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Martok on March 22, 2015, 07:29:53 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 20, 2015, 04:37:59 PM
Thanks guys!  For the curious...bearing in mind I have an extremely limited budget, I think that something like this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Fast-Quad-Core-Home-Gaming-Computer-PC-4-2-AMD-HD8570D-8GB-1TB-CyclopsR-/400859438592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d55159e00) is going to give me the best bang for my buck - also bearing in mind that I have a recently-donated GTX 570 to plug in there too.  For the money, I think I'm going to have a fairly respectable rig.  Certainly a quantum leap forward from my current Pentium D Dual Core 1.8GHz, 4GB RAM piece of crap. ;)
Looks pretty, Huw!  Here's hoping it gives you many happy hours of gaming enjoyment.  O0 

Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: undercovergeek on March 22, 2015, 07:44:41 AM
Quote from: Martok on March 22, 2015, 07:29:53 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 20, 2015, 04:37:59 PM
Thanks guys!  For the curious...bearing in mind I have an extremely limited budget, I think that something like this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Fast-Quad-Core-Home-Gaming-Computer-PC-4-2-AMD-HD8570D-8GB-1TB-CyclopsR-/400859438592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d55159e00) is going to give me the best bang for my buck - also bearing in mind that I have a recently-donated GTX 570 to plug in there too.  For the money, I think I'm going to have a fairly respectable rig.  Certainly a quantum leap forward from my current Pentium D Dual Core 1.8GHz, 4GB RAM piece of crap. ;)
Looks pretty, Huw!  Here's hoping it gives you many happy hours of gaming enjoyment.  O0

Wherever it gets sent to
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Huw the Poo on March 22, 2015, 08:11:06 AM
I know!  No reply to my email yet, hopefully just because it's the weekend.  What worries me is that delivery drivers probably use postcodes in their satnav systems so if this doesn't get sorted the PC may well not get delivered. :(

Martok - thanks!  I already have a number of games I can't really play properly so at least I'll have plenty of gaming goodness straight away. :)  I'm particularly looking forward to diving back into Rising World, Interstellar Marines, Starbound and maybe even Dota 2 (I was always the guy holding up the start of a game because mine took so long to load).
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: GJK on March 22, 2015, 08:43:13 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on March 21, 2015, 06:36:12 PM
Does Bbmike sound Vietnamese? --
....
So far, Besilarius, Banzai_cat, and undercovergeek, have villages named for them, btw.

Yeah, you're right.  Stick with what you have.   ::)
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: JasonPratt on March 22, 2015, 09:10:43 AM
Quote from: GJK on March 22, 2015, 08:43:13 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on March 21, 2015, 06:36:12 PM
Does Bbmike sound Vietnamese?

Yeah, you're right.  Stick with what you have.   ::)

Kind of my point, afterward (they don't sound Viet). ;) The original joke was that Bbmike might be more appropriate for villages anyway, which is what I was naming. (Since to an English ear Vietnamese sounds just as gibberishy.)

The game dev, Johan, confirms we can start naming villages with the new update, btw!
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: GJK on March 22, 2015, 11:44:55 AM
Well if/when you do go to name the firebases, bbmike is an obvious one.  bbmike becomes fb 'Mike'.   
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: Gusington on March 22, 2015, 02:54:16 PM
How about FB Nancy Sinatra? I bet there probably was an actual FB NS :)
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: JasonPratt on March 22, 2015, 10:31:00 PM
Ooo, FB Mike, yes... I have a firebase now, so that works. Johan says the unit/village naming is on the way, maybe that includes the bases.

How about FB Jane Fonda?

(You know. For an NVA base.  ::) :P )
Title: Re: Until I FRIDAY, I'm never gonna stop searchin'...
Post by: JasonPratt on March 22, 2015, 10:33:20 PM
Didn't get anything else played all weekend. Vietnam '65 is that good. I just finished Day 29 on my AAR. More to come tomorrow, assuming I don't have a brain hemmorahge or however that French word is spelled. Apoplexy?