GrogHeads Forum

Tabletop Gaming, Models, and Minis => Wargaming => Topic started by: Nefaro on March 26, 2015, 01:04:26 PM

Title: Grand Strategy On The Tabletop
Post by: Nefaro on March 26, 2015, 01:04:26 PM
Any suggestions on a good tabletop grand strategy style game? Preferably pre-20th century.

I'd prefer it have more than just warfare, but that can still be the biggest focus.  I'd also prefer it not be some mega game with a bajillion counters and a single 100+ hour playtime scenario.  My gaming options are too vast these days to spend so much time with one of those.

I'm fine with non-hex maps; regions, point-to-point, and such.  I'd actually prefer those over hexes, at such a grand strategic level.

I've been gawking GMT's Genesis (http://www.gmtgames.com/p-429-genesis.aspx) game, which has achieved it's P500 but still probably won't be seen for awhile due to their big publishing backlog.  It is reportedly based on the older Pax Romana system, which I've never seen.  Maybe I should just try to find a 2nd edition of Pax Romana and check that out beforehand, to see if it's my thing.  Looks like it could be.

I had picked up Sword Of Rome quite awhile back, but some of it's rules didn't seem terribly clear at first.  It also has a lot of hidden info regarding the card-driven gameplay so probably not the best for just strolling through solo for a bit of narrative.  The Pax Romana system seems to be easier and faster playing in this respect, so that's probably my next to check out.

Are there any notable ones I'm missing?  Surely there are some 17th-18th century strategic ones of note, or any pre-20th period.  I'm clueless as to the quality ones released in the past decade and more so tell me which are your favorites.
Title: Re: Grand Strategy On The Tabletop
Post by: Toonces on March 26, 2015, 01:11:23 PM
Pax Romana is what came to mind when I saw your thread.  I have it but sadly haven't played it.  Beautiful components, though...typical for any GMT game.

Maybe We the People if you're into card-driven grand strategy.  Yet another own-but-haven't-played game!   :-[
Title: Re: Grand Strategy On The Tabletop
Post by: BanzaiCat on March 26, 2015, 01:18:59 PM
First thing I thought of was American Civil War: 1861-1865.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5964/american-civil-war-1861-1865

I liked it, though it has been a long time since I've played it. It didn't survive my move to Houston (it might be at my mom's house still, I dunno).
Title: Re: Grand Strategy On The Tabletop
Post by: bayonetbrant on March 26, 2015, 01:23:46 PM
I'm not a big ACW fan, but this one might work for you
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/701/house-divided

There's also this one coming from GMT, but like everything else, not quite here yet
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/125977/cataclysm-second-world-war
Title: Re: Grand Strategy On The Tabletop
Post by: Barthheart on March 26, 2015, 01:30:36 PM
Conquest of the Empire, using the CotE II rules which are based on Struggle of Empires rules.

Great grand strategy that involves diplomacy, backstabbing, and ground combat. With 6 players it takes us about 4 to 6 hours to play... depending on how much beer we've had before we start.
Lots of very different ways to achieve the victory requirements. Some cards to buy for buffs. Plastic mini. Economy.

Don't let the Ameritrash looks fool you. The basic game is just Risk in Rome, but the version II rules are a great game.

OR you could just go for Struggle of Empires. Same shtick just in 17th century.

Title: Re: Grand Strategy On The Tabletop
Post by: Nefaro on March 26, 2015, 01:46:20 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on March 26, 2015, 01:30:36 PM
Conquest of the Empire, using the CotE II rules which are based on Struggle of Empires rules.

Great grand strategy that involves diplomacy, backstabbing, and ground combat. With 6 players it takes us about 4 to 6 hours to play... depending on how much beer we've had before we start.
Lots of very different ways to achieve the victory requirements. Some cards to buy for buffs. Plastic mini. Economy.

Don't let the Ameritrash looks fool you. The basic game is just Risk in Rome, but the version II rules are a great game.

OR you could just go for Struggle of Empires. Same shtick just in 17th century.

I actually own Conquest of the Empire, but haven't checked out the CotE II rules yet.  It looks like some quick clean fun for a group, but I'm looking for something a bit beefier for some solo meditative time, that has a bit of narrative.

Quote from: Toonces on March 26, 2015, 01:11:23 PM
Pax Romana is what came to mind when I saw your thread.  I have it but sadly haven't played it.  Beautiful components, though...typical for any GMT game.

Maybe We the People if you're into card-driven grand strategy.  Yet another own-but-haven't-played game!   :-[

Those are good suggestions.  I think the major issue here is finding the latest version for sale at a decent price, if at all.  I see Pax Romana 2nd Edition has made P500 so I will have to wait until that rolls around in the next year.  I've only found a rare 1st Edition currently for sale, so I'll just wait for the upcoming run (and the same for the new Bronze Age version too).  That's probably for the best as there are still plenty of games yet to be played on my shelves.  Just have to plan ahead better.

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on March 26, 2015, 01:18:59 PM
First thing I thought of was American Civil War: 1861-1865.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5964/american-civil-war-1861-1865

I liked it, though it has been a long time since I've played it. It didn't survive my move to Houston (it might be at my mom's house still, I dunno).

That kinda reminds me of VG's Civil War, which I had ages ago.  Enjoyable game, but for some reason the ACW doesn't appeal to me at such a strategic scale as much as other periods.  Maybe I should narrow it further, to pre-19th century.


Thanks for all the suggestions!
Title: Re: Grand Strategy On The Tabletop
Post by: Ubercat on March 26, 2015, 02:00:21 PM
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/234/hannibal-rome-vs-carthage) is a great game. Easy set of rules, too. My local gaming buddy and I can finish it within 3 hours.
Title: Re: Grand Strategy On The Tabletop
Post by: Toonces on March 26, 2015, 02:03:42 PM
Nefaro, there are a butt-load of used copies of Pax Romana on BBG for about $20.  Also, I meant For the People, which is the ACW game, but since you're not into ACW, forget it!
Title: Re: Grand Strategy On The Tabletop
Post by: Nefaro on March 26, 2015, 03:58:14 PM
Quote from: Toonces on March 26, 2015, 02:03:42 PM
Nefaro, there are a butt-load of used copies of Pax Romana on BBG for about $20.  Also, I meant For the People, which is the ACW game, but since you're not into ACW, forget it!

Yeah, the Pax Romana games for sale are 1st Edition.  I was under the impression that the 2nd Edition has been out for awhile too..?  After discovering all the errata improvements, additional units, and mounted board in 2nd Edition, I may just wait for the (re)print of that one.  Depends on how much we wantss it sooner rather than later.   :)  Not sure when either the 2nd Edition or Genesis will be getting finished at GMT, but I'd like to have both.  You have 1st Edition, I take it?

I thought For The People was Revolutionary War?  I must be getting some titles mixed up.  Blame it on old age and all that clean living in my youth *wink wink nod nod*

Title: Re: Grand Strategy On The Tabletop
Post by: Nefaro on March 26, 2015, 04:28:58 PM
Shit.

Now I recall wanting to pick up the 2nd Edition Pax Romana a year or longer ago, and why I never did. 

The damn thing made the P500 reprint goal... two years ago!  ::)  And it's still not imminent.  *sigh*

Was waiting for the printing to be announced.  Glad I've waited instead of committing to it.  Evidently GMT has been getting increasingly behind on it's printing and the demand just keeps stacking up.  I wonder if they are going to address that or just let it limp along at the same pace.  I recall the last couple newsletters not saying much other than that they can't keep up.     :-\

This should be a good sign for the hobby, but I regularly experience frustration with the supply facet lagging behind the demand.  I can only imagine how frustrating it would be for gamers just beginning to wade deeper into that end of the pool. 

Were we too spoiled for being able to walk into a shop and buy most any wargame title we wanted a few decades ago? 

Title: Re: Grand Strategy On The Tabletop
Post by: ArizonaTank on March 26, 2015, 06:00:55 PM
My recommendations

If relatively quick play is the trick....  Look at:  Victory in Europe http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/157521/victory-europe (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/157521/victory-europe)

Also,  Pacific Victory (OOP but pretty easy to get on ebay for $40 - $60) http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/912/pacific-victory (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/912/pacific-victory)

finally, for pre-20th century;

Rebel Raiders on the High Seas, naval grand strategy for the Civil War http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38805/rebel-raiders-high-seas (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38805/rebel-raiders-high-seas)

Lincoln's War, Civil War, with political flavor.  But I recommend watching the reviews to see if your cup of tea:  http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35452/lincolns-war (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35452/lincolns-war)
Title: Re: Grand Strategy On The Tabletop
Post by: Nefaro on March 27, 2015, 08:32:34 AM
Think I'll just continue to wait on Pax Romana and Genesis.  That system looks like exactly the right mix amounts of empire building, narrative, and complexity I'm looking for, in some of my favorite settings.

Just been rather irritating waiting so damn long.  I may pick up the old version of Pax Romana second hand if the wait continues to frustrate me.  AFAIK, it could be another two years before that one gets the 2nd edition printed.  :knuppel2:  Hopefully Genesis comes sooner since it will be the original run.
Title: Re: Grand Strategy On The Tabletop
Post by: Toonces on March 27, 2015, 02:20:10 PM
Dude, the first edition isn't that expensive, and it is really nice regardless of what they're doing with the second printing.  Stop with the grass is greener crap and just get it!
Title: Re: Grand Strategy On The Tabletop
Post by: Nefaro on March 27, 2015, 08:57:51 PM
Quote from: Toonces on March 27, 2015, 02:20:10 PM
Dude, the first edition isn't that expensive, and it is really nice regardless of what they're doing with the second printing.  Stop with the grass is greener crap and just get it!

I suppose that I could just pass the 1st Edition on to someone here, once I got the 2nd edition.  Just saw that there are map & counter errata for 1st edition so it made me waffle.  All I needed was the small push from someone.  :))

After further digging, GMT plans to start receiving the new PR in July, so it still probably wouldn't show up until September or something.  At least I'll be less inclined to bitch about GMT's slow printing & shipping until then, with the earlier version in hand.  :P
Title: Re: Grand Strategy On The Tabletop
Post by: Nefaro on March 27, 2015, 09:00:21 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 26, 2015, 06:00:55 PM

Rebel Raiders on the High Seas, naval grand strategy for the Civil War http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38805/rebel-raiders-high-seas (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38805/rebel-raiders-high-seas)


I've eyeballed Rebel Raiders a couple times in the past, but wasn't quite sure how the mechanics all worked.  I need to investigate further sometime.
Title: Re: Grand Strategy On The Tabletop
Post by: Nefaro on March 28, 2015, 07:06:03 PM
Also picked up a used copy of  7 Ages (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3870/7-ages) after seeing Callasmar's new Lets Plays.  For some epic Civ-like grand strategy that looks more interesting than to me than the Civ games.

Fortunately got lucky & found an inexpensively priced one on Ebay.  The rest seem to be a bit pricey since this is evidently a fairly popular older title.