GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Tech Talk => Topic started by: gameleaper on March 28, 2015, 06:10:09 AM

Title: considering buying a tablet! which one, ipad great, but do Windows tabs run stuf
Post by: gameleaper on March 28, 2015, 06:10:09 AM
I have been thinking on buying a tablet, I know ipads are good, but I realy would like one that ran all my windows software, do the windows tablets only run app store software, or can I put a software on a SD card and put it in the tablet and run, because Microsoft seem to be pushing phones and tabs. I am new to the tablets and I have no idea what Im looking for yet HELP!
Title: Re: considering buying a tablet! which one, ipad great, but do Windows tabs run stuf
Post by: weateallthepies on March 28, 2015, 06:23:11 AM
The thing you want to be looking for is what version of windows the tablet is running.

Currently you'll be looking at Windows 8 or Windows RT. If you want to be running normal windows software you need to buy something that is running full windows 8 and not Windows RT. The RT operating system is completely different and won't run all normal windows software.

You'll also be able to tell from the hardware. A tablet running full windows 8 will be some sort of Intel/AMD x86 processor, whilst the RT tablets will have some form of ARM processor.

A full windows tablet should be able to run any software you like, obviously within hardware specification limits so you are not going to be running the latest 3D games or anything. Yes you will be able to stick setup files on an SD card or copy them via network to install on the tablet.
Title: Re: considering buying a tablet! which one, ipad great, but do Windows tabs run stuf
Post by: gameleaper on March 28, 2015, 06:28:45 AM
thanks weateallthepies . I need to be able to identify full windows tablets then, the ARM vs x86 is a good clue thanks
Title: Re: considering buying a tablet! which one, ipad great, but do Windows tabs run stuf
Post by: Staggerwing on March 28, 2015, 07:07:56 AM
I just got this one for work because I need something that runs a particular windows program:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.308781500

The thing to watch out for is that most of the lower cost Windows 8 tablets use atom processors and have little onboard memory so anything but the most basic or most tablet-optimized programs will run slowly. Current 3D games might not do well at all. If you want to play games you may be better off getting a touch-screen laptop or springing for a much more expensive Surface Pro 3.
Title: Re: considering buying a tablet! which one, ipad great, but do Windows tabs run stuf
Post by: gameleaper on March 28, 2015, 07:14:45 AM
thx Staggerwing , I am looking at a Lenova for £200, I didn't want an attached keyboard though, but the pro 3 may be of interest maybe a pro 2 if there better value
Title: Re: considering buying a tablet! which one, ipad great, but do Windows tabs run stuf
Post by: Staggerwing on March 28, 2015, 08:01:44 AM
Watch out- some Surface Pro 2s have Windows RT, not 8 or 8.1


Title: Re: considering buying a tablet! which one, ipad great, but do Windows tabs run stuf
Post by: weateallthepies on March 28, 2015, 08:42:23 AM
I've been really impressed with Lenovo hardware, have looked at the tablets myself. Definitely a good option.
Title: Re: considering buying a tablet! which one, ipad great, but do Windows tabs run stuf
Post by: JasonPratt on March 28, 2015, 11:38:32 AM
I'll keep Lenovo and HP Stream (mentioned above) in mind as well. Dad's two laptops (one of which is easily seven years old, a crappy Toshiba PC he bought cheap) won't support newer browsers anymore (or in the Toshiba's case, do much of anything other than churn itself ;) ), and he seems to like the Surface Pro 3 I bought which arrived yesterday. But he doesn't need as much horsepower as I got in that system, probably. (I need it to be sure I can properly test accounting software for the shop. Plus some games.  >:D )

On the other hand, this is how he bought a cruddy Toshiba years ago, too. So I'll have to watch out he doesn't jump on a 'bargain'.  ::)
Title: Re: considering buying a tablet! which one, ipad great, but do Windows tabs run stuf
Post by: JasonPratt on March 28, 2015, 11:40:11 AM
On the other hand, Endfire in a thread below warned about Lenovo's Superfish exploit problem... http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=12866.msg335163#msg335163

Title: Re: considering buying a tablet! which one, ipad great, but do Windows tabs run stuf
Post by: Greybriar on March 28, 2015, 12:25:57 PM
I suggest purchasing a tablet with a USB port.
Title: Re: considering buying a tablet! which one, ipad great, but do Windows tabs run stuf
Post by: endfire79 on March 28, 2015, 01:31:44 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on March 28, 2015, 11:40:11 AM
On the other hand, Endfire in a thread below warned about Lenovo's Superfish exploit problem... http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=12866.msg335163#msg335163


Hope it helped :)

If the hardware comes at a good price, I'd consider buying one, but I'd nuke it from orbit (I mean wipe away all the Lenovo vendor crap first).  Still sitting on the fence for my laptop replacement.
Title: Re: considering buying a tablet! which one, ipad great, but do Windows tabs run stuf
Post by: JasonPratt on March 31, 2015, 04:15:31 PM
I am right this very moment experimenting with my new Surface Arc Touch mouse and Surface Touch keyboard (the kind with real keys, not the flat pseudo keys which might as well be an extension of the 'keyboard' on the screen.)

So far the keyboard is working well enough, although the angle is a little unusual and my fingers are having a small amount of trouble -- but that can be adjusted. It pairs great with the UnderArmorGuard backing (which is on purpose, since the UAG was designed to pair with the keyboard as a dual-system protector for the tablet.)

The ArcMouse is a little fluky, but that's probably because being a bit 'curved' it doesn't like the rough armchair surface I'm currently using it on. I feel (and think) that once I get in the habit of half-picking up the mouse (so that the back end isn't dragging), it will work perfectly well, no longer feeling like it's hanging a bit on the drag (because it is, but the 'tail' shouldn't be touching the mousepad surface at all), and with the sensor properly aligned to read the surface under the mouse. (Not to be confused with the Surface for which I bought it. ;) )

All in all, as a more-portable laptop replacement, for a little over $2000 (including periphials), it's doing the job. 1st keyboard test completed...  O0
Title: Re: considering buying a tablet! which one, ipad great, but do Windows tabs run stuf
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 10, 2015, 05:12:45 PM
I have been through a few tablets at increasing price points. At first I got a basic $50 tablet to find out if I liked the format at the expense of PC power. Right now i use a $100 kobo arc 7hd. It is by far the best screen at that price point. 1080p which is betterbthan my 15 inch laptop screen. The downside is the battery is about 4hrs with wifi on and 5hrs with it off.

The reason i mention these android tablets is the screen rez. The only windows tablet with a decent screen rez is the surface pro 3. The rest are shit to look at. Is a tablet good for anything not screen related? No. I do not understand why windows tablets are so far behind android in screens.

The most useful size is standard paper 8.5x11" or the EU equivalent. That is something you can do work on. You want over 300ppi to have it look like a good product that will obsolete your laptop and hdtv.

For reading the epaper readers are king.
Title: Re: considering buying a tablet! which one, ipad great, but do Windows tabs run stuf
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 11, 2015, 11:16:32 AM
Btw, this is the animatronic guy that parrorts conventioal wisdom of 'you cant see the difference of these high res screens.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.skarro.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F01%2FJohnNolanAnimatronic1.jpg&hash=39071bfd5ef9d891258c8f45be669faafd26ce5f)

These are people with no ability to think for themselves. They regurgitate.

On a 7" 1080p you can clearly read what on a normal pc would be 5pt font. The letters are perfectly shaped. So the new 2560x1440 format is perfect at about letter paper size.