GrogHeads Forum

Tabletop Gaming, Models, and Minis => Wargaming => Topic started by: PanzersEast on March 30, 2015, 07:53:28 PM

Title: DVG's Upcoming Lineup and Airborne Commander
Post by: PanzersEast on March 30, 2015, 07:53:28 PM
I've kickstarted Airborne Commander which is closing in on the end of its Kickstarter campaign... with almost all stretch goals achieved but 2.

I have also bought in on Huey Leader and Tiger Leader (I am worried maybe too like TAL), but now it looks like I will also jump in on Valkyrie.... it looks like I am becoming a fanboy.

Anyone else jumped in on any of these?

PE
Title: Re: DVG's Upcoming Lineup and Airborne Commander
Post by: Barthheart on April 02, 2015, 06:59:14 AM
I'm in on Tiger Leader. Never heard of Airborne Commander...
Valkyrie doesn't interest me much AND my gaming budget is blown AND the exchange rates are murderous right now.
Title: Re: DVG's Upcoming Lineup and Airborne Commander
Post by: GJK on April 02, 2015, 07:39:02 AM
I'm a little gun shy regarding DVG titles at the moment only because having never played one previously, I was dissapointed with what came out with "Nimitz" simply because I had such high hopes for it.  Not that I think that it was a complete dog; I just think that perhaps Dan bit off too much at once for that title.  I could see it as "Task Force commander Fletcher" as opposed to Nimitz and the entire Pacific war.  I am intrigued by the "Tiger" title but will await publication and subsequent reviews first.  I understand that "Hornet/Falcon/Apache Leader" et al were quite excellent solitaire games so hoping that "Tiger" gets back on track and of a more appropriate scale for his game system.
Title: Re: DVG's Upcoming Lineup and Airborne Commander
Post by: PanzersEast on April 02, 2015, 08:47:42 AM
Quote from: GJK on April 02, 2015, 07:39:02 AM
I'm a little gun shy regarding DVG titles at the moment only because having never played one previously, I was dissapointed with what came out with "Nimitz" simply because I had such high hopes for it.  Not that I think that it was a complete dog; I just think that perhaps Dan bit off too much at once for that title.  I could see it as "Task Force commander Fletcher" as opposed to Nimitz and the entire Pacific war.  I am intrigued by the "Tiger" title but will await publication and subsequent reviews first.  I understand that "Hornet/Falcon/Apache Leader" et al were quite excellent solitaire games so hoping that "Tiger" gets back on track and of a more appropriate scale for his game system.


Nimitz was a head scratcher for me... not what I was expecting.  Normally Dan has pretty solid mechanics, however the one felt like it made too many concessions for accessibility and I believe it is hard to do in a game of this magnitude.  There are so many factors that go into the campaign that trying to stream-line or simplify just does not work.


PE
Title: Re: DVG's Upcoming Lineup and Airborne Commander
Post by: Cyrano on April 07, 2015, 09:24:50 AM
In on Tiger Leader (I don't get why he bothered with the micro-armor, but courses for horses) and just ordered a new copy of "Frontline: D-Day" from a fellow on BBG.  I had zero interest in "Nimitz" and even less in the walky-robot thing, but have otherwise been smitten by DVG designs of late.  Enjoying "Warfighter" (not to be confused with the Bayonet Games offering that preceded it) a great deal after quite a few plays, "Down in Flames" is on the table now, and intend to open my copy of "FC: Napoleon" that's been sitting in the shrink since two GenCons ago.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: DVG's Upcoming Lineup and Airborne Commander
Post by: PanzersEast on April 07, 2015, 09:32:14 AM
Quote from: Cyrano on April 07, 2015, 09:24:50 AM
In on Tiger Leader (I don't get why he bothered with the micro-armor, but courses for horses) and just ordered a new copy of "Frontline: D-Day" from a fellow on BBG.  I had zero interest in "Nimitz" and even less in the walky-robot thing, but have otherwise been smitten by DVG designs of late.  Enjoying "Warfighter" (not to be confused with the Bayonet Games offering that preceded it) a great deal after quite a few plays, "Down in Flames" is on the table now, and intend to open my copy of "FC: Napoleon" that's been sitting in the shrink since two GenCons ago.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)


I have Frontline:D-Day and played one or two games (I'm still on the fence on it, but I think I like it).... I like it, although some do not.  FC:Napoleon is probably one of the best games Dan has designed IMO, I like the game a lot.  Warfighter is a great game, very challenging.


PE