GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: undercovergeek on March 31, 2015, 04:55:51 PM

Title: Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!
Post by: undercovergeek on March 31, 2015, 04:55:51 PM
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/comments/415505676

looks interesting, any game that allows Jon Woo style slow motion leaping and hacking gets at least 1 point

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=415505676
Title: Re: Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!
Post by: BloodSweatNCode on March 31, 2015, 05:57:05 PM
Hey, I'm actually the developer of that game (I got eyes and ears everywhere!).

And I sort of wish that it was a little more Skyrim, but sadly it's really more of an FTL. But it's still a cool game!

Anyway - this post is the first post about the game (that I didn't write! It just went up on greenlight 3 days ago), so I'm taking a screenshot as a celebration!

Title: Re: Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!
Post by: Nefaro on March 31, 2015, 06:17:11 PM
I'm always up for some procedural turn-based Rogue-ish action.  O0
Title: Re: Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!
Post by: MetalDog on March 31, 2015, 06:20:28 PM
Quote from: BloodSweatNCode on March 31, 2015, 05:57:05 PM
Hey, I'm actually the developer of that game (I got eyes and ears everywhere!).

And I sort of wish that it was a little more Skyrim, but sadly it's really more of an FTL. But it's still a cool game!

Anyway - this post is the first post about the game (that I didn't write! It just went up on greenlight 3 days ago), so I'm taking a screenshot as a celebration!



Awesome!  Why don't you give us some insight on what you have here.
Title: Re: Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!
Post by: Huw the Poo on March 31, 2015, 06:40:14 PM
For anyone wondering, this game is called Blood, Sweat and Gold.  Looks interesting, but no mention of a Linux version so I'm out.
Title: Re: Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!
Post by: BloodSweatNCode on March 31, 2015, 07:11:15 PM

Sure, I'm supposed to be emailing press, but the reality is I'm way more comfortable in strat game forums.

The design for the game comes from a number of sources, from the original Darklands (1992) to XCOM:EU to King's Bounty/HOMM to Mount & Blade and finally, Faster Than Light. Although during the course of development, some elements didn't make it through to the final cut.

The real strategic elements were deeply inspired by FTL. You're pressed for time as you progress across the world map, chased by bounty hunters, you encounter a variety of situations where you take make decisions on the kinds of risks you're willing to take.

The skill system is based on finding Trainers at different towns. Since the trainers are placed randomly, you can't just blindly follow a character build, you need to adapt to what's being offered and how much you need new skills.

The combat system is hex based, and a great deal relies on surrounds and special abilities. Not all of the abilities are flashy, many of them are subtle requiring tactical trade-offs. You can push characters around through different hexes, and you can smash obstacles to change the shape of the map a bit.

Perma-death is a core part of the game. The entire design is based around the fact that your men are just men. But I also wanted to offer fair difficulty, and not just randomly kill your guys from across the map with the AI rolling a lucky 5% chance crit. So there's a system that's pretty cool in place where getting ko'd during a fight will leave wounds (the idea was inspired by afflictions in Dominions) although how exactly the wounds work and how curable they are is being tested.

The game is in alpha, and some things may change! But I think that any gamer who likes tb rpgs with perma death, or enjoyed FTL will like this game.

Anyway, there is literally no press. So let your strat gaming friends know! Vote for it on Greenlight, link it, share it with your strat gaming friends!
Title: Re: Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!
Post by: BloodSweatNCode on March 31, 2015, 07:15:29 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 31, 2015, 06:40:14 PM
For anyone wondering, this game is called Blood, Sweat and Gold.  Looks interesting, but no mention of a Linux version so I'm out.

I can't commit to a linux release, but for the record it is a definite possibility. It depends largely on testing and how much linux based interest there is.
Title: Re: Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!
Post by: Barthheart on March 31, 2015, 07:25:07 PM
Voted. Looks cool. Darklands is still my favourite RPG game.
Title: Re: Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!
Post by: BloodSweatNCode on March 31, 2015, 07:26:47 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on March 31, 2015, 07:25:07 PM
Voted. Looks cool. Darklands is still my favourite RPG game.

I have it on my desktop right now. It'll always have a soft spot in my heart.
Title: Re: Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!
Post by: MetalDog on March 31, 2015, 07:31:26 PM
Thanks for the insight!  Good luck going forward :)
Title: Re: Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!
Post by: glen55 on March 31, 2015, 07:45:04 PM
It sounds to me like FTL with different skins, improved combat, and this wounds system which I only vaguely understand from the description.

I'm interested.  FTL is a great game, and the same game with better combat could be great-tastic.  The other inspiration games are all winners, too.

Is your aim that the overall difficulty and probability of losing repeatedly be FTL-like?
Title: Re: Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!
Post by: BloodSweatNCode on March 31, 2015, 08:02:07 PM
FTL was a huge inspiration. I actually sent an email to the guys who wrote FTL today. There are some differences, but the strategy map is very much FTL. The interface is largely inspired by XCOM:EU. If you watch the trailer, one of the town screens may remind you directly of XCOM's deployment screen.

The overall difficulty, pacing and length should be similar to FTL.

I have plans for more active AI agent interactions, inspired by Mount and Blade and mods like Diplomacy to really make the map more alive. But I don't want to release a buggy mess with features slapped on, and this may need to wait for an expansion.
Title: Re: Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!
Post by: Toonces on March 31, 2015, 08:51:56 PM
You had me at "Darklands."
Title: Re: Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!
Post by: Toonces on March 31, 2015, 08:52:48 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 31, 2015, 06:40:14 PM
Looks interesting, but no mention of a Linux version so I'm out.

Man alive, Huw, will you just get a Windows box already?  You're like the only damned person in the world that uses Linux to game.   :idiot2:
Title: Re: Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!
Post by: JasonPratt on March 31, 2015, 09:06:17 PM
Promptly voted for Greenlight. Hope it goes well, BS&C!
Title: Re: Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!
Post by: Huw the Poo on April 01, 2015, 01:15:10 AM
Quote from: BloodSweatNCode on March 31, 2015, 07:15:29 PM
I can't commit to a linux release, but for the record it is a definite possibility. It depends largely on testing and how much linux based interest there is.

Cool!  Sadly, I'm sure you're aware that the Linux gaming market is a tiny fraction of the Windows market so you may not get a feeling of much interest.  I think that games supporting Linux have largely been the result of ease of portability; for example, games running on the Unity engine are extremely easy to port (apparently there's literally an "export to Linux" button).  Some devs who have done it will say it wasn't really worth doing, others have said that they've had more Linux customers than Mac customers.  Your mileage may vary. ;)  As far as Steam is concerned, estimates put the Linux market at between 1,000,000 and 2,000,000 accounts.

Toonces: Why on Earth would anyone install Windows in these enlightened times? :P
Title: Re: Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!
Post by: Toonces on April 01, 2015, 01:45:50 AM
Weirdos.   ::)

:idiot2:
Title: Re: Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!
Post by: Nefaro on April 02, 2015, 12:45:52 PM
Quote from: Toonces on March 31, 2015, 08:52:48 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 31, 2015, 06:40:14 PM
Looks interesting, but no mention of a Linux version so I'm out.

Man alive, Huw, will you just get a Windows box already?  You're like the only damned person in the world that uses Linux to game.   :idiot2:

I see him marking titles off his list all the time just because he only wants to use Linux.  Shooting himself in the foot, the gaming addict he is.     :crazy2:
Title: Re: Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!
Post by: Huw the Poo on April 02, 2015, 03:49:09 PM
Not really; the Linux gaming market is already large enough that I'll never play 'em all.  I don't mind missing some games.  I value my right to privacy, security, freedom, customisation, and just generally having my PC do what I tell it to than playing every single game ever made! :)