GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: JudgeDredd on April 01, 2015, 02:31:56 AM

Title: War in the West or World in Flames
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 01, 2015, 02:31:56 AM
So I have these two MONSTER games, and I honest to god cannot decide which one to go with.

I don't know how many times I've fired up War in the West only to play a few turns and close it down, not even saving the game for next time. I'm reading the manual which seems a total waste of time because I will never, ever in a bazillion years remember the last page I read, let alone the first!

As for World in Flames...I've watched about half or more of the video tutorials which is a lesson in patience of the scale you will never come across again in your LIFE. I've went through a couple of the interactive tutorials which - for the life of me - I don't understand their inclusion...they literally tell you, in infuriating shorthand, how to click a menu, open an item, read and explore...wow! Like I wouldn't do that anyway.

But - I do want to get into one of them. War in the West seems to me likely to be the easiest to pick up and run with, but I oh so do love the graphics of WiF and I do think I like sound of the mechanics of the game

So I'm lost. Anyone playing any or either of these games got any views on which one I should go with and, more importantly, the best way to learn them to get enough info to get up and running in a relatively short space of time

Thanks
Title: Re: War in the West or World in Flames
Post by: Grim.Reaper on April 01, 2015, 03:19:20 AM
Did not purchase war in the west but did world in flames.  Besides the fact wif is still being worked on and I am scared to death of encountering a game breaking bug in the middle of a huge game, it just seems war in the west has a brighter and more active future, not to mention an actual computer opponent.  I really have my doubts wif will ever be finished and can't see myself making a huge investment in trying to play it under those conditions.  It has been removed from my hard drive.

With that said, I don't have any experience with war in the west, but based on what I have read, certainly seems playable so I would rather invest my time in that game but to be honest I am not looking to buy it anytime soon myself.
Title: Re: War in the West or World in Flames
Post by: undercovergeek on April 01, 2015, 03:21:29 AM
With all due respect and certainly with no offence meant - are you sure you're cut out for the long haul mega game?

I don't mean that as demeaning or to suggest its inferior not to, I just mean, beyond thinking its what's you should, is it something you actually want? I know I will never ever get into driving games, they're just not for me, I've tried, I'd maybe even like to but in the end it's not my thing

I instantly fell in love with witp and the endless possibilities, the grandeur of the task to learn the game and understand it, I looked at the epic path in front of me and thought it was something to be conquered not shy away from - I hasten to add I probably wouldn't now as my time is a little more stretched

I suppose ultimately I think these games are a labour of love, and if one looks at them with a certain trepidation then you're compromising that love and in the long run you'll fail because the scale and size of the game demands that level of dedication
Title: Re: War in the West or World in Flames
Post by: jomni on April 01, 2015, 03:41:05 AM
Do we have an AI for WIF already?
Title: Re: War in the West or World in Flames
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 01, 2015, 03:41:23 AM
No offence taken. If anyone knows my gaming habits better than myself, I think it's this place.

I have no idea if I am "cut out" for the long haul gaming experience and history would probably indicate that I'm not given my furtiveness with gaming...but I do - I definitely do want to take one of these bad boys on. I'm not saying by any stretch it would be my only gaming. Who knows - it might, but I wouldn't think so. But they are games I definitely would want to learn and play occasionally...from time to time...pick up every day or every other day for a turn or two.

The fact that I asked the question as to which one may be telling - or not - as to my commitment. All I know if I have these two beasts and I'd like to get to know one of them better.

WitW is definitely more complete, has an AI and is definitely more streamlined. On the other hand, I like the sound of the mechanics of WiF.

Both are monsters. Both are going to require an initially large investment to learn and I would think less (if indeed you want to invest less) as time goes on because you'll be firing out turns as opposed to reading.

WitW it is. As GR said - WiF is not finished yet, has no AI and you don't know what game stopping bug your going to hit at any point through it.

I'm going to do a couple of small scenarios, actually save them this time to pick them up later and then I'm going to drown in the big bastad!  O0
Title: Re: War in the West or World in Flames
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 01, 2015, 03:42:17 AM
Quote from: jomni on April 01, 2015, 03:41:05 AM
Do we have an AI for WIF already?
No

But I wasn't going to let that hinder me. I have played a game or two in the past (board and computer) where it wasn't solitaire and I was pretty happy about being even handed (mostly)
Title: Re: War in the West or World in Flames
Post by: jomni on April 01, 2015, 04:26:28 AM
Well a game with no AI means 2x the work and headache compared to a game with an AI. But i guess it depends on how competitive you are against yourself.
Title: Re: War in the West or World in Flames
Post by: Ian C on April 01, 2015, 04:31:56 AM
Hi Judge, I still have the unwrapped and sealed CD with hardbound manual for sale. Both unused and pristine as new.

Normal Matrix store price £67.99 plus tax.

Download price (no manual) £69.59 inc. tax.

My price: £45 including postage within the UK.


PM me if you're interested.

Ian
Title: Re: War in the West or World in Flames
Post by: undercovergeek on April 01, 2015, 04:33:28 AM
Sent you a pm jomni
Title: Re: War in the West or World in Flames
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 01, 2015, 04:42:56 AM
Quote from: Ian C on April 01, 2015, 04:31:56 AM
Hi Judge, I still have the unwrapped and sealed CD with hardbound manual for sale. Both unused and pristine as new.

Normal Matrix store price £67.99 plus tax.

Download price (no manual) £69.59 inc. tax.

My price: £45 including postage within the UK.


PM me if you're interested.

Ian
I do have the game - though I love the look of the manuals and they are a similar look to the WitW manual...

I may be in touch.....might
Title: Re: War in the West or World in Flames
Post by: Ian C on April 01, 2015, 05:07:15 AM
Oops, I meant it's War in the West that I have. Not World in Flames.
Title: Re: War in the West or World in Flames
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 01, 2015, 05:14:31 AM
oh. I have WitW  :)
Title: Re: War in the West or World in Flames
Post by: undercovergeek on April 01, 2015, 06:22:31 AM
Ian c - JD owns all the games, ever
Title: Re: War in the West or World in Flames
Post by: Ian C on April 01, 2015, 09:04:55 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on April 01, 2015, 06:22:31 AM
Ian c - JD owns all the games, ever

I misread the first post. Bah.
Title: Re: War in the West or World in Flames
Post by: bob48 on April 01, 2015, 09:08:39 AM
I was always fascinated by the whole concept of World in Flames, and, many years ago I did buy the original board game. I'd love to think it was something I could really get my gaming teeth (or, in my case, dentures) into, but I suspect that I would get frustrated with it, which is pretty much what happened the map and counter version.
Title: Re: War in the West or World in Flames
Post by: Cyrano on April 01, 2015, 09:40:50 AM
I'm pretty obsessed with PzC these days and would much sooner play a Normandy '44 beaches to Falaise (assuming you're interested in a monster), but, between the two, no doubt it's WitW, if only because I honestly don't think WiF has a future.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: War in the West or World in Flames
Post by: Sir Slash on April 01, 2015, 11:39:49 AM
I probably would have spent $100 on WIF and been very pissed about it but for the helpful folks at Grogheads. Now the shiny box has lost it's hold on me. For the most part.
Title: Re: War in the West or World in Flames
Post by: mikeck on April 01, 2015, 01:22:56 PM
I have not played WiF but I love WitW. As with any game, the more you play, the more you figure it out. Just have to sit down and play. Once you do the 7 turn Husky intro scenario. Start going back through the manual. So read the guide (about 20 pages) before you play