Avernum Escape from the Pit is out from Spiderweb software. It is available for PC, MAC & Ipad. As common with spiderweb software games, there is an extensive demo that can give you a very good idea of the game prior to purchase. Demo can be downloaded from: http://www.avernum.com/avernum/
I've played the new Avernum game for several days. I was sick over the weekend and did little else.
Avernum is a Spiderweb software game. This means that there is an extensive demo that can be downloaded and played for free. If you liked any of the other Spiderweb titles (Geneforge, Earlier Avernum; Avadon.......) I strongly suggest you download and play the demo.
I'm up to level 17 (out of perhaps a max of 45 levels to complete). The new Avernum has a maximum party size of four. There are only four statistics (Strength, Dexterity, Endurance and Intelligence). Spell casters are either wizards or priests. As you level up you can gain skills, new talents, etc......
The play balance on this game is very impressive. It is very challenging on the normal setting, but not impossible. You do have to think very carefully about your party balance and how you allocate your points when you level up. I did it totally wrong the first time and had to restart. Play balance is critical to a game like Avernum - and they did a good job of it.
There is an utterly flexible game editor that comes with purchase. It can alter anything on a character that you might wish. If you build a character wrong, you can go back in and redestribute your points.
Pros:
1] Good story line
2] Excellent play balance
3] Combat is turn based
4] Lots of RPG leveling up, becoming more powerful, etc......
5] Good, free demo
6] Game is $10 from Steam. It is also $10 directly from Spiderweb if you bought any of their previous games. You can get a CD of the game in the mail for an additional $6 (which I like because I will have it forever). I bought directly from Spiderweb so they did not pay a cut to Steam.
7] Computer requirements are minimal. If you have a working PC you should be able to play it.
Cons:
1] Antiquated graphics (we are talking late-1980s level graphics). Think "pool of radiance" type graphics for the modern day.
2] No "real time combat" if you like that
3] It is almost all hack & slash. No sophisticated gameplay.....
4] Sounds are poor, repetitive, and a reuse of the earlier sounds. But it can be played just fine without sound.
If any of the pros sound appealing to you for a stats based, party, RPG with turn based combat - run and download it.
[If someone contacts me I could probably write a full review].
Bought for $10 off Steam. My first Spiderweb game.
Been playing for a short while so far and only at level 3, but this is a fun old school RPG.
Like Airboy said you need to plan the use of each of your party during fights. Use your priest too much on attack and he won't have enough spall casting left to heal you fighters when it's needed.
Combat reminds me of Darklnads a bit, if anyone remembers that.
Good fun.
8)
I believe we already had a thread about this game, I'll try to find it.
Anyway, fun game :)