GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Grim.Reaper on April 11, 2015, 07:49:46 PM

Title: GTA 5?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on April 11, 2015, 07:49:46 PM
Is anybody jumping on this right away?  I am a little torn as to whether to get it or not, awhile ago I picked up the old version of the games, but really never played them.  Wasn't because they were bad or anything, just literally never gave them the time for some reason.

Did I also read correct, the download is something like 60GB?  That would probably be the largest game I have ever installed.  Have to admit it intrigues me to give it a chance since it seems most people praise it.
Title: Re: GTA 5?
Post by: WYBaugh on April 11, 2015, 08:39:52 PM
I jumped and yes, it's ~60 GB download.  Just crazy size but hopefully everything will be optimized better than I've read concerning IV.
Title: Re: GTA 5?
Post by: endfire79 on April 11, 2015, 09:04:02 PM
I picked up GTA IV when it came to pc (and when it came on sale on Steam) a few years ago.  I think the bugs had been worked out by then, but I heard the initial PC release had some issues. 

I found this about the new V PC launch :)


Title: Re: GTA 5?
Post by: Tpek on April 11, 2015, 11:36:41 PM
I picked it up already through GreenManGaming (they had the best price).
However I quite regret doing so, I should have gone through Steam.

Turns out you need to download the game (unless you got it from Steam apparently) through Rockstar's downloader.
Which is crap.
Those 60GB+ you have to download using dial-up speeds, and the downloader keeps downloading the same chunks of data over and over again.

The game is supposed to come out on Tuesday, and yet I wonder how many people will finish pre-loading it by then :(
Title: Re: GTA 5?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on April 12, 2015, 04:51:48 AM
I am glad you said something about the non-steam version, I was wondering how it would work.  Is this a widespread issue being reported or just select folks?  I've never used it before so no personal experience.
Title: Re: GTA 5?
Post by: Huw the Poo on April 12, 2015, 05:22:54 AM
To anyone who hasn't played GTA V in its console incarnation, let me just say that it's much better than GTA IV.  I was in the camp who thought that Rockstar had lost its sense of humour for a while and that Vice City was the last truly great game in the series.  Happily, GTA V is (in my opinion) a very welcome return to form.  It's a really good game, and bloody huge for what it is, too.

Can't imagine playing it on the PC though. ;)
Title: Re: GTA 5?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on April 12, 2015, 05:59:45 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 12, 2015, 04:51:48 AM
I am glad you said something about the non-steam version, I was wondering how it would work.  Is this a widespread issue being reported or just select folks?  I've never used it before so no personal experience.

Nevermind...read in a few places and certainly seems to be a widespread struggle to get things download.....seems like a lot of slowness, reconnects, and possibly duplicate files being downloaded.....can't imagine restarting a download for a 60GB game many times.....
Title: Re: GTA 5?
Post by: Tpek on April 12, 2015, 06:18:57 AM
After trying and seeing the futility of contacting Rockstar's support, I'm trying an alternative solution I found by reading Reddit.
I'm trying to download a RARed version of the files from something called mega.co.nz . Hopefully this will work out better because the official method just
plain doesn't work and RS are too dumb to hand out Steam keys.
Title: Re: GTA 5?
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 12, 2015, 04:21:25 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 12, 2015, 05:22:54 AM
To anyone who hasn't played GTA V in its console incarnation, let me just say that it's much better than GTA IV.  I was in the camp who thought that Rockstar had lost its sense of humour for a while and that Vice City was the last truly great game in the series.  Happily, GTA V is (in my opinion) a very welcome return to form.  It's a really good game, and bloody huge for what it is, too.

Can't imagine playing it on the PC though. ;)

IV was the only one I liked.