GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: gameleaper on April 14, 2015, 05:01:23 PM

Title: The Land Of The Flies, [roguelike]
Post by: gameleaper on April 14, 2015, 05:01:23 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8hm9ao59ufwqnp/TheLandOfTheFlies20.zip?dl=0

casual RPG(only cursor keys required), Random world generator, editor,

its free

you are in the land of the flies in search of gold and secrets, castles, woods, lakes, flies, wasps,ants etc...

its RogueLike RPG
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A Massive Random world Generator
Post by: gameleaper on April 15, 2015, 02:36:06 AM
j
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A Massive Random world Generator
Post by: gameleaper on April 15, 2015, 04:29:53 AM
Have you guys spotted the PI symbol top right , its like the film "THE NET" with Sandra bullock, it does special functions
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A PI symbol like the Movie "THE NET" Sandra Bullock
Post by: bayonetbrant on April 15, 2015, 05:19:35 AM
just now saw this...


Also, keep in mind that if you drop something at 6pm on a weekday, in a forum where most of us have kids and are dealing with getting them through their homework, after-school stuff like sports or music lessons, fixing dinners, etc. you're not going to get a ton of response.  You've got to give people a few weekends to check stuff out before you can safely assume no one is looking.

Meanwhile, remember too that strategy gamers are the ones most likely to have long-term games cranked up that they'll go to before they start checking out any new games.  If I have an existing Civ V campaign in progress, I'm likely going back to that before I start anything else new first.
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A PI symbol like the Movie "THE NET" Sandra Bullock
Post by: spelk on April 15, 2015, 05:36:22 AM
A better place to get feedback on your games would probably be something like TigSource.

The Independent Gamer Source. A place for indie game players and creators to discuss their games, and get feedback.

http://www.tigsource.com/

http://forums.tigsource.com/

Their forums have areas for playtesting and feeback, as well as an area for people to post up devlogs, progress & decisions made during the development process. I'm sure you'd get a lot more immediate feedback from somewhere like that.
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A PI symbol like the Movie "THE NET" Sandra Bullock
Post by: spelk on April 15, 2015, 05:39:29 AM
Also, if you are serious about roguelike development, I would go to Temple of the Roguelike forums and start a discussion there. Its a place where a lot of roguelike developers go to discuss games, design and development.

http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php

You'd almost certainly get some interest over there (for your roguelike creations).
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A PI symbol like the Movie "THE NET" Sandra Bullock
Post by: gameleaper on April 15, 2015, 06:18:47 AM
Thanks guys, someone is actualy out there :) I just joined TigSource(with some figuring on the reg) now off to join roguetemple, I should of googled this but I dought Id of found such good links
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A PI symbol like the Movie "THE NET" Sandra Bullock
Post by: gameleaper on April 15, 2015, 07:54:58 AM
Quote from: spelk on April 15, 2015, 05:39:29 AM
Also, if you are serious about roguelike development, I would go to Temple of the Roguelike forums and start a discussion there. Its a place where a lot of roguelike developers go to discuss games, design and development.

http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php

You'd almost certainly get some interest over there (for your roguelike creations).

I went through the reg process, then put my game in the announcement section, it was up there ok for 30mins, then bam gone and I got deleted of the users, I suppose roguelike is only roguelike if your game is what they want.
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A PI symbol like the Movie "THE NET" Sandra Bullock
Post by: bayonetbrant on April 15, 2015, 08:06:32 AM
that's weird. I would definitely follow up w/ an email about it to get some clarity from them
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A PI symbol like the Movie "THE NET" Sandra Bullock
Post by: BanzaiCat on April 15, 2015, 09:57:31 AM
The Net was a stupid, stupid movie. Just sayin'.
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A PI symbol like the Movie "THE NET" Sandra Bullock
Post by: gameleaper on April 15, 2015, 10:01:58 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 15, 2015, 08:06:32 AM
that's weird. I would definitely follow up w/ an email about it to get some clarity from them

I definitely think my game is a roguelike game, so don't know why, but Id kinda like to know, so I may send a text .
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A PI symbol like the Movie "THE NET" Sandra Bullock
Post by: gameleaper on April 15, 2015, 10:03:03 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on April 15, 2015, 09:57:31 AM
The Net was a stupid, stupid movie. Just sayin'.

it was a great film in its day, but Im secretly in love with Sandra --- arr
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A PI symbol like the Movie "THE NET" Sandra Bullock
Post by: BanzaiCat on April 15, 2015, 10:41:51 AM
Meh, Sandra's okay. Not a big fan of her acting, though oddly enough I laughed a lot when I saw Miss Congeniality. The Net was just groan-worthy throughout, seeing how Hollywood views teh mid-90z Intarwebz.
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A PI symbol like the Movie "THE NET" Sandra Bullock
Post by: spelk on April 15, 2015, 11:06:40 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on April 15, 2015, 07:54:58 AM
I went through the reg process, then put my game in the announcement section, it was up there ok for 30mins, then bam gone and I got deleted of the users, I suppose roguelike is only roguelike if your game is what they want.

Not sure whats going on there, perhaps they want you to settle in a bit before posting up a cold ad for your game - I dunno.

Perhaps you posted your first post about your game in the wrong forum, or you need to introduce yourself first?

Introductions
http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?topic=4.0

I've checked the member list and there is no gameleaper, so I guess they've removed your account?

Might be worth contacting Slash (http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1) or another moderator, have a word with Darren Grey (http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?action=profile;u=201) - they both have personal web pages you can no doubt contact them through.

In fact Darren hosts the podcast roguelikeradio.com, and is active on twitter and what not.

Explain that you're a new roguelike developer and you thought you could sign up get some advice and feedback about your design. Ask them what is the protocol for joining the community. IIRC I just signed up, and then started reading, and posting up about my experiences with playing roguelikes.

They're all a nice bunch of people who really are passionate about roguelikes, playing and developing them.
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A PI symbol like the Movie "THE NET" Sandra Bullock
Post by: spelk on April 15, 2015, 11:16:37 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on April 15, 2015, 10:01:58 AM
I definitely think my game is a roguelike game, so don't know why, but Id kinda like to know, so I may send a text .

The Berlin Interpretation of Roguelike principles
http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation

Although today with many roguelike-likes or rogue-lites, or whatever you want to call them, most developers want to explore what you can do with roguelike mechanics in other genres, coming up with hybrid games, based around procedurally generated themes etc.

There is no absolute in terms of roguelike games, but there are mechanics that add roguelike-ness to a game..
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A PI symbol like the Movie "THE NET" Sandra Bullock
Post by: gameleaper on April 15, 2015, 11:27:09 AM
Quote from: spelk on April 15, 2015, 11:06:40 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on April 15, 2015, 07:54:58 AM
I went through the reg process, then put my game in the announcement section, it was up there ok for 30mins, then bam gone and I got deleted of the users, I suppose roguelike is only roguelike if your game is what they want.

Not sure whats going on there, perhaps they want you to settle in a bit before posting up a cold ad for your game - I dunno.

Perhaps you posted your first post about your game in the wrong forum, or you need to introduce yourself first?

Introductions
http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?topic=4.0

I've checked the member list and there is no gameleaper, so I guess they've removed your account?

Might be worth contacting Slash (http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1) or another moderator, have a word with Darren Grey (http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?action=profile;u=201) - they both have personal web pages you can no doubt contact them through.

In fact Darren hosts the podcast roguelikeradio.com, and is active on twitter and what not.

Explain that you're a new roguelike developer and you thought you could sign up get some advice and feedback about your design. Ask them what is the protocol for joining the community. IIRC I just signed up, and then started reading, and posting up about my experiences with playing roguelikes.

They're all a nice bunch of people who really are passionate about roguelikes, playing and developing them.

that's great info, I will look into it, you know a lot of stuff about games spelk, I thought Roguelike may have been a cult following, but your a real guru spelk thanks
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A PI symbol like the Movie "THE NET" Sandra Bullock
Post by: gameleaper on April 15, 2015, 11:28:37 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on April 15, 2015, 10:41:51 AM
Meh, Sandra's okay. Not a big fan of her acting, though oddly enough I laughed a lot when I saw Miss Congeniality. The Net was just groan-worthy throughout, seeing how Hollywood views teh mid-90z Intarwebz.

Miss Congeniality was fun, :)
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A PI symbol like the Movie "THE NET" Sandra Bullock
Post by: gameleaper on April 15, 2015, 12:24:17 PM
Quote from: spelk on April 15, 2015, 11:06:40 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on April 15, 2015, 07:54:58 AM
I went through the reg process, then put my game in the announcement section, it was up there ok for 30mins, then bam gone and I got deleted of the users, I suppose roguelike is only roguelike if your game is what they want.

Not sure whats going on there, perhaps they want you to settle in a bit before posting up a cold ad for your game - I dunno.

Perhaps you posted your first post about your game in the wrong forum, or you need to introduce yourself first?

Introductions
http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?topic=4.0

I've checked the member list and there is no gameleaper, so I guess they've removed your account?

Might be worth contacting Slash (http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1) or another moderator, have a word with Darren Grey (http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?action=profile;u=201) - they both have personal web pages you can no doubt contact them through.

In fact Darren hosts the podcast roguelikeradio.com, and is active on twitter and what not.

Explain that you're a new roguelike developer and you thought you could sign up get some advice and feedback about your design. Ask them what is the protocol for joining the community. IIRC I just signed up, and then started reading, and posting up about my experiences with playing roguelikes.

They're all a nice bunch of people who really are passionate about roguelikes, playing and developing them.

I fired of a message to slash, thanks for the link
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A PI symbol like the Movie "THE NET" Sandra Bullock
Post by: gameleaper on April 16, 2015, 07:25:09 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/archzs9li0nxage/TheLandOfTheFlies19.zip?dl=0

new version, more populated world
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A PI symbol like the Movie "THE NET" Sandra Bullock
Post by: gameleaper on April 16, 2015, 05:47:34 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/archzs9li0nxage/TheLandOfTheFlies19.zip?dl=0

added food and water dependacy, increased the complexity of the world, random items of different values added, editor instuctions added, icons added.
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies Has A PI symbol like the Movie "THE NET" Sandra Bullock
Post by: gameleaper on April 18, 2015, 12:36:55 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/archzs9li0nxage/TheLandOfTheFlies19.zip?dl=0

new version has an equipment inventory of different bug sprays, and I fixed a few bugs
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies, [roguelike]
Post by: gameleaper on April 20, 2015, 02:17:34 PM
Spelk thanks so much for the links, already done lots with the feedback from the forums, Ive now got a 3d effect and a small inventory,, more populated world etc

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8hm9ao59ufwqnp/TheLandOfTheFlies20.zip?dl=0
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies, [roguelike]
Post by: spelk on April 20, 2015, 04:12:29 PM
Quote from: gameleaper on April 20, 2015, 02:17:34 PM
Spelk thanks so much for the links, already done lots with the feedback from the forums, Ive now got a 3d effect and a small inventory,, more populated world etc

Ah no worries. I guess you must have got a response back from Slash, and now you're an official member of the Temple of the Roguelikes? I saw your post over there in the Early Devs section.

Did you get a lot of feedback from Tigsource?
Title: Re: The Land Of The Flies, [roguelike]
Post by: gameleaper on April 20, 2015, 04:44:38 PM
Quote from: spelk on April 20, 2015, 04:12:29 PM
Quote from: gameleaper on April 20, 2015, 02:17:34 PM
Spelk thanks so much for the links, already done lots with the feedback from the forums, Ive now got a 3d effect and a small inventory,, more populated world etc

Ah no worries. I guess you must have got a response back from Slash, and now you're an official member of the Temple of the Roguelikes? I saw your post over there in the Early Devs section.

Did you get a lot of feedback from Tigsource?

A couple of playtesters at Tigsource, led me to what roguelike was, and your links. I seen a few examples at tigsource and Its getting better because of it, thanks. there is a lot of users mouching about on tig that like indie stuff

slash got back to me sorted, took a few days.