Hard drive obsessive compulsive disorder. I swear they need to add this to the DSM.
I have 2 terabytes of hard drive space that is almost completely full. I'm constantly struggling to maintain 200 gigabytes free. I have games installed that I am almost certain I will never play, but I get anxiety if I delete them. It is totally irrational. I know most of the data is game related because that is pretty much all I use my computer for. No movies, no porn (ok, there is some, but under 2 gb) no commercial applications, etc.
Anybody else have the uncontrollable compulsion to keep large quantities of games installed that never get play time? I hope so...I'm starting a support group.
I used to store on DVD then I moved to mirrored external drives, now I have external Hard Drive disorder :)
Yup, I installed fences so I could subdivide the desktop into categories - in the total war section is empire and napoleon, never going to play them again ever. If I'm honest with myself I don't think I'll play fallen enchantress either or arma 3, banished, and splinter cell but they're still there, I suppose the beauty of steam is you could mothball them and bring them out again if needed
I do suffer from this but not as severely. I have been able to recently remove some games I know I will never play. But of course that doesn't stop me from buying more.
I do but I don't have much choice...my rig is old and it only has a 500GB hard drive. I have plenty of games installed that I don't want to uninstall, even though it's been months since I've played them. I think I only have about 50GB free right now.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2015, 07:01:04 AM
Anybody else have the uncontrollable compulsion to keep large quantities of games I stalled that never get play time? I hope so...I'm starting a support group.
Oh yeah. I'm right there with you man.
just remember guys, all hard drives come in one size: "full" ;)
We all have it so it's no disorder but only normal behaviour.
My name is Doctor Quest and I am a game hoarder.
The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem. God bless you, JH.
Steam is to my addiction as a "pain clinic" is for junkies. It's an unending source of what I need conveniently located
What's better is that I can uninstall and reinstall in seconds. That makes it more tempting to purchase games that I know damn well I will never play
In my case, almost just the opposite. I'm an inveterate 'purger.' I despise clutter.
Now, I definitely have plenty of games on my HD that I never play. I'm starting to get near the 1TB capacity on my data HD... about 150GB remaining. At some point soon I'll probably just un-install a bunch of crap, and it won't really bother me in the least.
Truth is, there's probably only a dozen or so games that fall into my "*must* have and will never uninstall" list. Hmmm, what would they be...
1. CMx2 (all modules)
2. OOTP
3. Distant Worlds Universe
4. Most Pdox titles -- HoI, EU, CK, Vicky
5. Wings Over Flanders Fields
6. Decisive Campaigns, esp. Case Blue
7. Gravteam Tactics - Op Star
Probably also make the cut -- SotS II, Civ V, TW Rome II, AGEOD's Civil War 2, WW1 Gold, Gal Civ II/III, Wargame Red Dragon...
And that's kinda it. Now, there are a lot more games that I enjoy than this, but it wouldn't matter all that much to me if I never played them again.
So I say unto Jarhead, DoctorQuest and the rest -- let it go! Simplify, simplify!
HDOCD is a very peculiar form of mental anxiety disorder. It is different than disorders associated with buying games. We all know I suffer from that, as well. HDOCD manifests itself as the compulsion to not only buy them and have them in your library, but to have them actively installed. I would expect the convenience of the steam library would mitigate the severity of the anxiety caused by HDOCD, but alas, it does not. Only the highlighted color of an installed title can sooth the symptoms and forestall sickness and shakes.
I have 540GB free out of 910 total. So I don't feel too bad. But it's not our fault... It's the damned game companies that keep putting out more and more great games. But, please don't stop.
Quote from: sandman2575 on April 15, 2015, 09:18:17 AM
In my case, almost just the opposite. I'm an inveterate 'purger.' I despise clutter.
Now, I definitely have plenty of games on my HD that I never play. I'm starting to get near the 1TB capacity on my data HD... about 150GB remaining. At some point soon I'll probably just un-install a bunch of crap, and it won't really bother me in the least.
Truth is, there's probably only a dozen or so games that fall into my "*must* have and will never uninstall" list. Hmmm, what would they be...
1. CMx2 (all modules)
2. OOTP
3. Distant Worlds Universe
4. Most Pdox titles -- HoI, EU, CK, Vicky
5. Wings Over Flanders Fields
6. Decisive Campaigns, esp. Case Blue
7. Gravteam Tactics - Op Star
Probably also make the cut -- SotS II, Civ V, TW Rome II, AGEOD's Civil War 2, WW1 Gold, Gal Civ II/III, Wargame Red Dragon...
And that's kinda it. Now, there are a lot more games that I enjoy than this, but it wouldn't matter all that much to me if I never played them again.
So I say unto Jarhead, DoctorQuest and the rest -- let it go! Simplify, simplify!
SNIFF! :'( I NEED A HUG!
Or maybe I'll just go buy a new game................ :idiot2:
Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 15, 2015, 09:40:16 AM
Or maybe I'll just go buy a new game................ :idiot2:
;D
I only have about 30 games installed right now, maybe 20 of those I will either never, or rarely, play again. My HD still has 1 Tb free out of 1.5 Tb total space.
I should buy more games............... ::)
Quote from: sandman2575 on April 15, 2015, 09:18:17 AM
In my case, almost just the opposite. I'm an inveterate 'purger.' I despise clutter.
Now, I definitely have plenty of games on my HD that I never play. I'm starting to get near the 1TB capacity on my data HD... about 150GB remaining. At some point soon I'll probably just un-install a bunch of crap, and it won't really bother me in the least.
Truth is, there's probably only a dozen or so games that fall into my "*must* have and will never uninstall" list. Hmmm, what would they be...
1. CMx2 (all modules)
2. OOTP
3. Distant Worlds Universe
4. Most Pdox titles -- HoI, EU, CK, Vicky
5. Wings Over Flanders Fields
6. Decisive Campaigns, esp. Case Blue
7. Gravteam Tactics - Op Star
Probably also make the cut -- SotS II, Civ V, TW Rome II, AGEOD's Civil War 2, WW1 Gold, Gal Civ II/III, Wargame Red Dragon...
And that's kinda it. Now, there are a lot more games that I enjoy than this, but it wouldn't matter all that much to me if I never played them again.
So I say unto Jarhead, DoctorQuest and the rest -- let it go! Simplify, simplify!
I would like to be an "all-installed" kind of guy, but I keep getting new machines and I rarely install much of what I could out of my Steam library much less anything else. right now I just have:
DCS
ArmaIII
Spintires
Train simulator
BoS
Attila
CMANO
And tonight I will reinstall PanzerBattles: Kursk: Southern Front with a patch
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2015, 07:01:04 AM
Anybody else have the uncontrollable compulsion to keep large quantities of games installed that never get play time? I hope so...I'm starting a support group.
Absolutely.
I keep having to uninstall stuff to make more room for installing new ones. But it's so painful to uninstall something, despite not having played it in over a year.
Do you also go through the uninstall list multiple times, agonizing on just which one to get rid of?
My other HDOCD issue is deleting the install & patch files for my non-DRM games (such as those from GOG and Matrix), despite having burned each
multiple times on DVDs as backup. As if I need to make three more copies of each and still keep them on my HDD. :idiot2:
...aye...I think I've got it as well. I've got a 1TB hard drive, but still get nervous when its only half full :-[ which is about where its at right now, so excuse me will I go and delete a few games. Bye Pink Pony :'( :crazy2:
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Flibregamewiki.org%2Fimages%2Fthumb%2Fb%2Fb7%2FPink_pony.jpeg%2F640px-Pink_pony.jpeg&hash=1d5a157b6b64d80623dd24a74d5404932801de54)
...actually this thread got me to looking at what I do have installed and why the heck do I still have Naval War Artic Circle still installed? ...time to do some serious cleaning up.
What's worse is when I get a new hard drive I always save the old one in case I need to go back for any files I might need. :D
Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2015, 03:42:24 PM
What's worse is when I get a new hard drive I always save the old one in case I need to go back for any files I might need. :D
Yep, I'm the same. I finally deleted an old Norton Ghost backup I took of my hard drive from my old computer from late 2009. Five and a half years later I finally decided that I don't need anything from that backup anymore.
Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2015, 03:42:24 PM
What's worse is when I get a new hard drive I always save the old one in case I need to go back for any files I might need. :D
I'll do you one better. I keep the whole system. I currently have 5 towers collecting dust in my place.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2015, 04:16:14 PM
Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2015, 03:42:24 PM
What's worse is when I get a new hard drive I always save the old one in case I need to go back for any files I might need. :D
I'll do you one better. I keep the whole system. I currently have 5 towers collecting dust in my place.
:o
Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2015, 04:59:07 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2015, 04:16:14 PM
Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2015, 03:42:24 PM
What's worse is when I get a new hard drive I always save the old one in case I need to go back for any files I might need. :D
I'll do you one better. I keep the whole system. I currently have 5 towers collecting dust in my place.
:o
Cyberhoarding is what it's called. I'm embarrassed just to contemplate listing all the computer-related stuff I have lying around. You guys will all start looking funny at me (ok.. ok...
funnier than you do already... :P).
I constantly have to swap games out. My hard drive is only 500 gigs and i'm down to under 40 gigs and have to keep wiping out the last restore point. Been thinking about getting another external, i have one, buts its for my music and backups. I have several war games that are modded heavily which it would be too much of a pain in the ass to reinstall so there staying. I love steam in this regard as you can load your mods easy peasy and when you uninstall games your saves stay to be continued later.
I have great news for those who suffer HDOCD, I have a cure. Its immediate and highly effective- have kids! Once the first kids peeks his or her head out, your spare time will magically disappear along with all your petty worries about games or hard drives. Warning- once your start the recovery process it takes 18 years and you can never quit. Oh, and its very expensive.
I learned a long time ago that more games than you might expect can be simply backed up by zipping the installation folder. Ghost Recon, FS2004, CFS2, CFS3, Strike Fighters 2, etc. can all be backed up this way and restored by unzipping the backup file to reinstall. You need to recreate any shortcuts, of course, but I avoid the hassle of reinstalling the base game and mucking about with patches and mods.
Somehow I manage to still game with my kids trying to burn the house down around me.
I purge my hard drive in general once in the spring and again in the fall. If I haven't played the game in 5 or 6 months, it gets deleted from my hard drive. The one major except is my battlefront titles because I'm freaking paranoid about their draconian DRM. I've gotten to the point I don't really care about DRM until it limits my ability to redownload or do multiple installs. I just don't deal with that bullshit anymore. Hence games available through Steam make up a good 90% of my collection now.
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 15, 2015, 06:43:07 PM
Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2015, 04:59:07 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2015, 04:16:14 PM
Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2015, 03:42:24 PM
What's worse is when I get a new hard drive I always save the old one in case I need to go back for any files I might need. :D
I'll do you one better. I keep the whole system. I currently have 5 towers collecting dust in my place.
:o
Cyberhoarding is what it's called. I'm embarrassed just to contemplate listing all the computer-related stuff I have lying around. You guys will all start looking funny at me (ok.. ok... funnier than you do already... :P).
LOL yeah. I have boxes & boxes of old computer parts & wires, a couple old towers with parts pulled out. Computer parts detritus. I'll probably never use 85% of it again.
Can't have a burn party with them so there's a lot of dead weight there.
Quote from: Swatter on April 15, 2015, 08:43:55 PM
I have great news for those who suffer HDOCD, I have a cure. Its immediate and highly effective- have kids! Once the first kids peeks his or her head out, your spare time will magically disappear along with all your petty worries about games or hard drives. Warning- once your start the recovery process it takes 18 years and you can never quit. Oh, and its very expensive.
I smothered mine with a pillow early on. Call it a savings plan. :P
Whats so hard about setting up a RAID array?
I'm with Swatter. It's amazing what two small children, a demanding job, and a wife who also works has done to reduce my demand for games. I probably buy 5-10 games a year, but when my HD craps out every 4-5 years, I just don't accumulate enough of them to make it a problem at all.
Jardhead, would it help you to keep your HD drive clean if you thought of it as a modern-day metaphorical rifle? :)
He does but he considers his game files to be a beta-mag. :D
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2015, 04:16:14 PM
Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2015, 03:42:24 PM
What's worse is when I get a new hard drive I always save the old one in case I need to go back for any files I might need. :D
I'll do you one better. I keep the whole system. I currently have 5 towers collecting dust in my place.
That's the way to go, I think. When my last machine blew up, I had a back up that was like a time capsule from March 2013: all installed and ready to go. Now I'm feeling like I need a similar set up so I have two back ups...but its somewhat pointless since I have so little on the current system.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2015, 07:01:04 AM
Hard drive obsessive compulsive disorder. I swear they need to add this to the DSM.
I have 2 terabytes of hard drive space that is almost completely full. I'm constantly struggling to maintain 200 gigabytes free. I have games installed that I am almost certain I will never play, but I get anxiety if I delete them. It is totally irrational. I know most of the data is game related because that is pretty much all I use my computer for. No movies, no porn (ok, there is some, but under 2 gb) no commercial applications, etc.
Anybody else have the uncontrollable compulsion to keep large quantities of games installed that never get play time? I hope so...I'm starting a support group.
Guilty....
For some however, I have a good reason. These are games that have required special care and compatibility tests and fine tuning...these games I just can't take away (Paraworld and Rise & Fall to mention a few). They mostly need my time to finally play them but they won't be uninstalled. Oh...and all the games that need lots of patches that I have downloaded etc...
I think that steam and GOG help me. I feel less urged to keep these games on my HD than games I downloaded once (matrix) or have on dvds. It's really to have games updated and ready for download at any times.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2015, 04:16:14 PM
Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2015, 03:42:24 PM
What's worse is when I get a new hard drive I always save the old one in case I need to go back for any files I might need. :D
I'll do you one better. I keep the whole system. I currently have 5 towers collecting dust in my place.
That's nothing....I've got the old computers running too! From time to time I turn them on, do some things, play 10 minutes to be sure everything's ok and that's it. :uglystupid2:
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2015, 07:01:04 AM
Hard drive obsessive compulsive disorder. I swear they need to add this to the DSM.
I have 2 terabytes of hard drive space that is almost completely full. I'm constantly struggling to maintain 200 gigabytes free. I have games installed that I am almost certain I will never play, but I get anxiety if I delete them. It is totally irrational. I know most of the data is game related because that is pretty much all I use my computer for. No movies, no porn (ok, there is some, but under 2 gb) no commercial applications, etc.
Anybody else have the uncontrollable compulsion to keep large quantities of games installed that never get play time? I hope so...I'm starting a support group.
I not only keep everything installed I can, I have external hard drives that I dump the installers to 'just in case'. Actually with my Direct2Drive purchases it saved my bacon.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2015, 07:01:04 AM
Hard drive obsessive compulsive disorder. I swear they need to add this to the DSM.
I have 2 terabytes of hard drive space that is almost completely full. I'm constantly struggling to maintain 200 gigabytes free. I have games installed that I am almost certain I will never play, but I get anxiety if I delete them. It is totally irrational. I know most of the data is game related because that is pretty much all I use my computer for. No movies, no porn (ok, there is some, but under 2 gb) no commercial applications, etc.
Anybody else have the uncontrollable compulsion to keep large quantities of games installed that never get play time? I hope so...I'm starting a support group.
So?
buy another harddrive its dirt cheap :)
Dont deny WHO you are, embrace it
Quote from: jejo68 on April 17, 2015, 12:12:00 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2015, 07:01:04 AM
Hard drive obsessive compulsive disorder. I swear they need to add this to the DSM.
I have 2 terabytes of hard drive space that is almost completely full. I'm constantly struggling to maintain 200 gigabytes free. I have games installed that I am almost certain I will never play, but I get anxiety if I delete them. It is totally irrational. I know most of the data is game related because that is pretty much all I use my computer for. No movies, no porn (ok, there is some, but under 2 gb) no commercial applications, etc.
Anybody else have the uncontrollable compulsion to keep large quantities of games installed that never get play time? I hope so...I'm starting a support group.
So?
buy another harddrive its dirt cheap :)
Dont deny WHO you are, embrace it
Do you really need to kill the buzz with a practical solution? :2funny: :o
Rehab is for quitters!
Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 17, 2015, 10:31:24 AM
Quote from: jejo68 on April 17, 2015, 12:12:00 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2015, 07:01:04 AM
Hard drive obsessive compulsive disorder. I swear they need to add this to the DSM.
I have 2 terabytes of hard drive space that is almost completely full. I'm constantly struggling to maintain 200 gigabytes free. I have games installed that I am almost certain I will never play, but I get anxiety if I delete them. It is totally irrational. I know most of the data is game related because that is pretty much all I use my computer for. No movies, no porn (ok, there is some, but under 2 gb) no commercial applications, etc.
Anybody else have the uncontrollable compulsion to keep large quantities of games installed that never get play time? I hope so...I'm starting a support group.
So?
buy another harddrive its dirt cheap :)
Dont deny WHO you are, embrace it
Do you really need to kill the buzz with a practical solution? :2funny: :o
yup.
Im a mans man, not a female in mans body. ;)
Just wanted to point out a Windows issue I discovered, related to a lot of missing hard drive space being reserved for recovery backups.
HALF my hard drive space on two of my computers! It was inflaming my HDOCD:
Info & fix posted in the tech forum:
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=13443.msg349451#msg349451
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2015, 09:19:39 AM
HDOCD is a very peculiar form of mental anxiety disorder. It is different than disorders associated with buying games. We all know I suffer from that, as well. HDOCD manifests itself as the compulsion to not only buy them and have them in your library, but to have them actively installed. I would expect the convenience of the steam library would mitigate the severity of the anxiety caused by HDOCD, but alas, it does not. Only the highlighted color of an installed title can sooth the symptoms and forestall sickness and shakes.
OMG! :o This is a pandemic! I have the same symptoms! :D