GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on April 18, 2015, 09:34:32 PM

Title: Steam invites...
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 18, 2015, 09:34:32 PM
Anyone else getting an unusual number of steam invites? I've received 2 over the last 2 days and the names don't ring a bell. One there does not appear to be any mutual friends or anything indicating its someone from GH. The other is a private profile, which is something I've never even seen before.
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: Bison on April 18, 2015, 11:03:17 PM
I've gotten a few over the last couple of months.  If I don't know you.  I don't accept the invite.
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: GDS_Starfury on April 18, 2015, 11:14:12 PM
I get them and ignore.
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: MikeGER on April 19, 2015, 01:56:00 AM
i got two in the past month but those were from very well know Grogs from the forum  O0
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: Huw the Poo on April 19, 2015, 01:57:43 AM
I get one from some private profile every now and again, which I just ignore.  It isn't as bad as the days of Yahoo Messenger!
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 19, 2015, 02:48:17 AM
Private profile = get lost

Public profile = Are they linked to anyone else I know? Do they post? Do their posts seem rational? Are they interested in similar games? = if all or most = no the get lost

And yeah - I've had maybe 2 or 3 this last month
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: Grim.Reaper on April 19, 2015, 05:32:28 AM
I have not received unusual steam invites, but over the last week or so I have received security messages saying people have been trying to access my account from different places such as Ecuador.  Luckily steam has that security process where the actual account owner gets the message and you have to approve it with the special code so hopefully my account is OK.  Of course I immediately changed my login information.
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: Great Ajax on April 19, 2015, 06:46:27 AM
Previous to six months ago, I only got invites from people I know.  Now it seems I am getting 2-3 private profile invites a week.  Some of them have names that are 'unassigned'.  I accepted one several months ago and then sent several text messages to see who this person was.  They sent a message about steam trading with a web link that was obviously an account hijack scheme and then they immediately unfriended me.  Now, I ignore all friends invites unless I can scan their profiles and see what games they play.

Trey
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: GJK on April 19, 2015, 08:22:00 AM
Why do all you people keep ignoring my STEAM invite?!?!   :crazy2:
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: Toonces on April 19, 2015, 01:44:45 PM
Heh, I'm as unpopular on Steam as in real life.  I haven't received any invites.   :(
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: Toonces on April 19, 2015, 01:47:29 PM
LOL @ JD!   :D
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 19, 2015, 01:51:06 PM
 ;)

Well - I didn't want you to get a complex.

Besides - it might do my image a bit of good to have a surfboy as a "friend"  :buck2:
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: spelk on April 20, 2015, 11:25:37 AM
Since it was brought up, I thought I'd hammer away at a few of you I've not previously hoovered up into my Steam friends list.. so expect some more..
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: GDS_Starfury on April 20, 2015, 11:47:07 AM
I sent Toonces an invite before his love handles start shaking in despair.
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: Martok on April 20, 2015, 03:33:18 PM
Got an invite from panzerde a few days ago, which was surprising given I'd thought we were already friends on Steam.  It made me wonder who else I'd overlooked; I think with so many folks here being part of the Steam GH group, I got lazy. 



Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 20, 2015, 11:47:07 AM
I sent Toonces an invite before his love handles start shaking in despair.
Incidentally, I can't believe I didn't have you on my list til now.  ???  Talk about oversights! 

Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: steve58 on April 20, 2015, 04:20:28 PM
All the unsolicited invites (got one myself last week) probably explains the new $5 Rule (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3330-IAGK-7663) that requires Steam users to spend at least $5 to access certain Steam features....
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: Staggerwing on April 20, 2015, 05:59:50 PM
The chance that anyone who posts here regularly has not spent at least $5 at the Steam Store by now is pretty remote.
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: Nefaro on April 20, 2015, 06:05:05 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 20, 2015, 05:59:50 PM
The chance that anyone who posts here regularly has not spent at least $5 at the Steam Store by now is pretty remote.

Yes, but Steam will now profit from the more determined Invite Spammers/Phishers who are probably Chinese Farmer-Hackers trying to spam you with links for in-game goods and accounts for money.

;D
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: GDS_Starfury on April 20, 2015, 06:24:39 PM
no worries.  I could spend an hour updating my friends list from the GH group but Im lazy like that.
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: panzerde on April 20, 2015, 09:29:40 PM
Quote from: Martok on April 20, 2015, 03:33:18 PM
Got an invite from panzerde a few days ago, which was surprising given I'd thought we were already friends on Steam.  It made me wonder who else I'd overlooked; I think with so many folks here being part of the Steam GH group, I got lazy. 



Right before this thread started I looked at my friends list and came to the same conclusion: I'd been lazy. So I sent invites to a bunch of people I'd neglected to add before, but being still lazy I haven't managed to get everyone yet!


Then this thread popped up and I thought "oh man! Maybe I'm spamming people!"
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: Staggerwing on April 21, 2015, 06:34:23 AM
I've just gotten an invite from someone named 'Anisia'. Is that one of you guys? The profile is private and their Steam level is zero.
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: MikeGER on April 21, 2015, 06:43:43 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 21, 2015, 06:34:23 AM
I've just gotten an invite from someone named 'Anisia'. Is that one of you guys? The profile is private and their Steam level is zero.
watch out  ;)

- urban dictioary:
Anisia
Very smart and beautiful woman but also a maneater. Anisias often manipulate men into doing exactly what they want and move on to the next target quickly. They are often very successful and intriguing.
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 21, 2015, 06:44:11 AM
It's not me
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: Barthheart on April 21, 2015, 06:48:05 AM
She might be hot. You should totally accept that invite.  ^-^
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: Gusington on April 21, 2015, 06:57:57 AM
It's probably a dude.
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: BanzaiCat on April 21, 2015, 09:13:41 AM
Quote from: MikeGER on April 21, 2015, 06:43:43 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 21, 2015, 06:34:23 AM
I've just gotten an invite from someone named 'Anisia'. Is that one of you guys? The profile is private and their Steam level is zero.
watch out  ;)

- urban dictioary:
Anisia
Very smart and beautiful woman but also a maneater. Anisias often manipulate men into doing exactly what they want and move on to the next target quickly. They are often very successful and intriguing.


Whoa-oh here she comes...watch out boy, she'll chew you uuuuup
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: Boggit on April 21, 2015, 01:03:54 PM
I've had a couple of invites from people I don't know. I just didn't respond. Otherwise my friends are all people I know on Grogheads etc. Funnily, I sent an invite to one guy I get on well with on Grogheads (and Armchair General) that didn't get accepted. I guess he thought it just more spam!  ::) Anybody know Jadwiga?
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: Staggerwing on April 21, 2015, 06:15:44 PM
Quote from: MikeGER on April 21, 2015, 06:43:43 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 21, 2015, 06:34:23 AM
I've just gotten an invite from someone named 'Anisia'. Is that one of you guys? The profile is private and their Steam level is zero.
watch out  ;)

- urban dictioary:
Anisia
Very smart and beautiful woman but also a maneater. Anisias often manipulate men into doing exactly what they want and move on to the next target quickly. They are often very successful and intriguing.

Anisia is also the catch-all designation for a bunch of different fruitfly species...
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: Nefaro on April 21, 2015, 07:12:06 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 21, 2015, 06:15:44 PM
Quote from: MikeGER on April 21, 2015, 06:43:43 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 21, 2015, 06:34:23 AM
I've just gotten an invite from someone named 'Anisia'. Is that one of you guys? The profile is private and their Steam level is zero.
watch out  ;)

- urban dictioary:
Anisia
Very smart and beautiful woman but also a maneater. Anisias often manipulate men into doing exactly what they want and move on to the next target quickly. They are often very successful and intriguing.

Anisia is also the catch-all designation for a bunch of different fruitfly species...


Either way, it's not looking good.  ;D
Title: Re: Steam invites...
Post by: panzerde on April 21, 2015, 07:25:23 PM
The fruit flies seem like the safer outcome.