GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Lord Zimoa on April 22, 2015, 11:12:09 AM

Title: Death and taxes
Post by: Lord Zimoa on April 22, 2015, 11:12:09 AM
"There are only two certainties in life – death and taxes" Benjamin Franklin

We have great news for you and it's not a new game, it's better than that! As part of our continued effort to make your purchases clean and clear, we have moved to a price you see is what you pay policy. Therefore, the price you see when you click on 'Download' is the price you are going to pay when you check out.

Simple, no extra charges, no VAT, no additional cost.

The even better news is that we did not increase the price of any games in the store. So for anyone who has to pay VAT you will save up to 25% on every purchase! This is in addition to any special offer, discount or coupon that might be available so really is a great deal for wargamers.

Isn't that better then tax breaks and Christmas presents? All you need to do is go to the store and pick your favourite games.

It's shopping time!



Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: bobarossa on April 22, 2015, 02:15:39 PM
how does that work in the US where each state may have different tax rates?
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: steve58 on April 22, 2015, 02:42:28 PM
...nvm, I don't know what I'm talking/typing about  :-X
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: bobarossa on April 22, 2015, 03:19:03 PM
Quote from: steve58 on April 22, 2015, 02:42:28 PM
...nvm, I don't know what I'm talking/typing about  :-X
LOL, I feel that way a lot.
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: Nefaro on April 22, 2015, 03:43:44 PM
Quote from: bobarossa on April 22, 2015, 02:15:39 PM
how does that work in the US where each state may have different tax rates?

It's easy.

We have no VAT nonsense.  State sales tax is only applicable to purchases made when both parties are located in the same state.  Otherwise there is no state sales tax either.
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: RedArgo on April 22, 2015, 04:07:28 PM
At least in Illinois, you are required to report out of state purchases where no sales tax was collected on your state income tax forms and pay the sales tax that wasn't collected.  I'm doubting many people do though.

If there are any IRS agents watching this thread, I do this!
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: Tuna on April 22, 2015, 04:53:35 PM
I get taxed all the time now when I purchase from them, do they have an office in Mass?
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: panzerde on April 22, 2015, 04:59:56 PM
Quote from: Tuna on April 22, 2015, 04:53:35 PM
I get taxed all the time now when I purchase from them, do they have an office in Mass?


That's not tax, that's the cut they send Bawb's 'stache every time you buy a game from them.
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: jomni on April 22, 2015, 05:14:25 PM
Didn't even say which store.  Slitherine?
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: MikeGER on April 22, 2015, 05:16:33 PM
I checked the new Warhammer DLC and its 4.99 Euro at Slitherine,  but its 4.99 at Steam (including the19% taxes) too
Shouldn't the price at Slitherine be only 4.19 Euro then?
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: Steelgrave on April 22, 2015, 05:19:49 PM
Oh thank God, I thought it was the name of their next game!   >:D
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: FarAway Sooner on April 22, 2015, 05:29:49 PM
Maybe we have a transAtlantic tax specialist here who could enlighten us on the subtle differences here?

:D
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: Wolfe1759 on April 22, 2015, 05:43:22 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on April 22, 2015, 05:19:49 PM
Oh thank God, I thought it was the name of their next game!   >:D

Warhammer 40K Imperial Revenue & Customs Marines DLC  :)
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: Steelgrave on April 22, 2015, 07:55:44 PM
I appreciate the tax break. Now what are you guys gonna do about death? Or Death, as he prefers to be called. 
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: Nefaro on April 22, 2015, 08:33:01 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on April 22, 2015, 07:55:44 PM
I appreciate the tax break. Now what are you guys gonna do about death? Or Death, as he prefers to be called.


Everyone has to pay that guy.
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: Sir Slash on April 22, 2015, 10:44:07 PM
Here in America we don't pay Vat or Tea taxes. We dump shit into the harbor and blame it on the Indians. Come to think of it, that didn't work the first time so well.
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 23, 2015, 12:09:59 AM
I didn't see any difference in price either.

Brother Against Brother was £35.99 before this announcement and it's still showing as £35.99  ???
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: jomni on April 23, 2015, 12:15:49 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 23, 2015, 12:09:59 AM
I didn't see any difference in price either.

Brother Against Brother was £35.99 before this announcement and it's still showing as £35.99  ???
Maybe the difference is seen when you check out. That means no additional tax this time around because it is in the quotation
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 23, 2015, 12:36:13 AM
When I looked last week it said £35.99 + VAT. I mentioned that £35.99+tax was a lot of money for the game. Erik then said the store was wrong and should be showing the price inclusive of VAT.

I checked later and it was indeed. So the price had changed to £35.99 INCLUDING tax

My point was that this announcement comes after all that - and I don't see any change in price. In other words, it's nothing new to last week AND the price is including tax - and so I'm not getting the game tax free - it's just in the price and upfront as opposed to being added at a later point during the checkout  :idiot2:
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: MikeGER on April 23, 2015, 01:58:54 AM
JD, it looks like for us in Europe they just had corrected an missleading entry on the shopfront webside (an make a marketing buzz out of it) ...it told price plus mandatory taxes before (but that was wrong because the tax was already included, at least for us guys in Europe) and now they show the price correctly including taxes
so no real price drop or bonus at all over here ...just marketing mumbo jumbo for correcting (+ Vat) to (includes Vat)

AFAIK in Europe for normal customers (not firms) you always get the final price including taxes told in shops (bricks and mortar, super market, etc... )   
in the USA all prices got shown without taxes on the goods in shelfs and when you checkout the local taxes get added at the register IICR from my travels some decent time away 
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 23, 2015, 02:13:18 AM
^ crystal clear and what I thought.

I didn't know about US showing prices without tax by default though...that's good to know if I ever travel across the pond and decide to buy a big ticket item...remember to add local sales tax (and federal tax in some states I believe??)
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: undercovergeek on April 23, 2015, 03:23:06 AM
so theyve added tax on right at the beginning of the transaction, and then set off a load of fireworks saying 'hoorah, its tax free??'
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 23, 2015, 03:36:44 AM
Well - that was my understanding. To be fair, I'm a Sweaty Sock and English isn't my first language  :P

*edited for spelling*

like I said - it isn't my first language  >:D
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: undercovergeek on April 23, 2015, 03:40:14 AM
its TAX FREEEEEEEEEEEE

really?

Yup, TAX FREEEEEEEEEEEEE

wow!

We know!!!! We added the tax up, stuck that on the price of the game and now its TAX FREEEEEEEEEEEEE

w******
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: Pete Dero on April 23, 2015, 04:09:33 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on April 23, 2015, 03:40:14 AM
its TAX FREEEEEEEEEEEE

really?

Yup, TAX FREEEEEEEEEEEEE

wow!

We know!!!! We added the tax up, stuck that on the price of the game and now its TAX FREEEEEEEEEEEEE

w******

As far as I can see this is not correct.  Europe is complex and all countries have different tax rates.  In my country (Belgium) VAT is 21%.

A few weeks ago the price for Flashpoint Campaings was 48,99 € + 21% = 59,30 €
Totay the price showing on the Matrix site is 49,99 € tax included.

This means that there really is a significant price reduction (-20 %) for me and I guess this must be the case in most European countries.  The UK has always been a special affair in Europe  ;).
I my case I can't speak of any false advertising on their side.

Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 23, 2015, 04:17:20 AM
I can only use Brother Against Brother as the example as that's the only one I have recollection of.

It could be that BaB was already subject to the change (as it was a new release) and that's why I don't see a difference. But it's definitely the same price it was last week...prior to this announcement.
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: Lord Zimoa on April 23, 2015, 04:29:22 AM
Yes, VAT is not applicable for some countries, but for others, like most European it does and it also differs per country.

In the past the VAT was added in the shopping cart.

So for US buyers there is probably not much difference as you don't have to deal with VAT, but for others eg; Dutch buyers will safe 20%, 21% for Belgian customers, 27% for Hungarians, etc...

So it depends were you live and buy from and what government has VAT tax rules or not and how low or high the VAT is in your resident country.

But from now on it is over, one price VAT included for all customers. So it is no false claim, just differs and depends on your country tax legislation how much cheaper games has become.

Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: Wolfe1759 on April 23, 2015, 12:31:46 PM
Just to see if we are getting a good deal.

Using Brother Against Brother as the example here in the UK we are now paying £35.99 which equals $54.20 at current rates.

How much are you being charged in the US, $54.20 or there abouts?
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: panzerde on April 23, 2015, 12:49:25 PM
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on April 23, 2015, 12:31:46 PM
Just to see if we are getting a good deal.

Using Brother Against Brother as the example here in the UK we are now paying £35.99 which equals $54.20 at current rates.

How much are you being charged in the US, $54.20 or there abouts?


$49.99. If I paid taxes on it it would be a little less than $54.20, but very close.
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: FarAway Sooner on April 24, 2015, 01:44:39 AM
Wolfe, I'm sure that you can figure out some way to blame the difference on the threat of Greek debt default, if you'd like...

:)
Title: Re: Death and taxes
Post by: Wolfe1759 on April 24, 2015, 12:10:38 PM
Quote from: panzerde on April 23, 2015, 12:49:25 PM
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on April 23, 2015, 12:31:46 PM
Just to see if we are getting a good deal.

Using Brother Against Brother as the example here in the UK we are now paying £35.99 which equals $54.20 at current rates.

How much are you being charged in the US, $54.20 or there abouts?


$49.99. If I paid taxes on it it would be a little less than $54.20, but very close.


Seems fair enough.

FarAway Sooner - I'm sure the difference is down to the chaps at the Slitherine/Matrix/Ageod Megacorp building up a multi-million dollar kitty to pay off any windfall tax that is levied on the super-rich bankers/tycoons/game developers by the next government to pay for the increases in spending to the NHS  :)