I caught the very last hour of a Newegg flash sale on the Davinci XYZ 1.0 3D printer and before the adult portion of my brain could intervene the adolescent part had already hit the '
BUY!' button. 3 days later it arrived:
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi747.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx120%2FStaggerwing%2FFirst%25203D%2520build%2FIMG_0623_zpsqsy7mxvb.jpg&hash=c78aa48bd6b1f3555d9c83ab668da9081025f2df)
The nice thing about this printer is that it's supposed to be good for complete n00bz like myself, factory calibrated and everything. It does use proprietary filament cartridges which cost more per meter of filament than 'open source' rolls but the price was just too good to pass up. After immediately printing one of the two built-in demos (a small twisty star-shaped cup/vase thingie) I went online looking for a proper groggy bit to fabricate:
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi747.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx120%2FStaggerwing%2FFirst%25203D%2520build%2FIMG_0624_zpsi1apvumc.jpg&hash=8d7bda2d46bcdce9e1980dd9c0cb824e73a3b1fd)(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi747.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx120%2FStaggerwing%2FFirst%25203D%2520build%2FIMG_0626_zpshychkuv2.jpg&hash=1efb3c3bf5fe0e72fcb263801943ecd97c0cffb1)(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi747.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx120%2FStaggerwing%2FFirst%25203D%2520build%2FIMG_0627_zpscly0zrp7.jpg&hash=6b547798c1185096ac02cb54266b05df75161ef4)(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi747.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx120%2FStaggerwing%2FFirst%25203D%2520build%2FIMG_0628_zpsqrvprgty.jpg&hash=c6153d4ee928c3d6117a544da8405756b1eca518)(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi747.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx120%2FStaggerwing%2FFirst%25203D%2520build%2FIMG_0629_zpsdqegav7e.jpg&hash=48f5f646a43562597d283993053e54a26f8873a9)(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi747.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx120%2FStaggerwing%2FFirst%25203D%2520build%2FIMG_0630_zps5wbotcse.jpg&hash=4f03ba156fb19db9221a77c92bc98161b551d691)(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi747.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx120%2FStaggerwing%2FFirst%25203D%2520build%2FIMG_0631_zps5hnswkmr.jpg&hash=bdc1ae2dc6927ec861b87538b07e59b7aa1199ef)(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi747.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx120%2FStaggerwing%2FFirst%25203D%2520build%2FIMG_0634_zpsxetk6vdv.jpg&hash=a38307aee7b901d3e4a5e2ea9cb8ae6b53591a9c)(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi747.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx120%2FStaggerwing%2FFirst%25203D%2520build%2FIMG_0635_zpspn3avnnu.jpg&hash=291c0c6d26fcfae456f0bf0d6197d35254f1a6ac)(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi747.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx120%2FStaggerwing%2FFirst%25203D%2520build%2FIMG_0636_zpsxxgyxaah.jpg&hash=c9859466877d0494ce0d49bb18ba47774549562b)(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi747.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx120%2FStaggerwing%2FFirst%25203D%2520build%2FIMG_0637_zpsjoplrqmy.jpg&hash=63d3b6daa788949404e6ffc5822925b5a31ae387)(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi747.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx120%2FStaggerwing%2FFirst%25203D%2520build%2FIMG_0638_zpsaz0fxu28.jpg&hash=4da238ed954c4049a3c4cce466db1791d2b5b4bf)(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi747.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx120%2FStaggerwing%2FFirst%25203D%2520build%2FIMG_0639_zpsa2akj7l3.jpg&hash=4c120253f8b1293145b2ed4e39c443a9bf21a102)(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi747.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx120%2FStaggerwing%2FFirst%25203D%2520build%2FIMG_0640_zpsx6eqd7j3.jpg&hash=6f23f3982f5ada9fad72731c945926e86386a922)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi747.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx120%2FStaggerwing%2FFirst%25203D%2520build%2FIMG_0642_zpshwufs1ip.jpg&hash=8801d0c01fd966266797d61713fa0423f1261f6a)
This little tiger would fit on top of a 1/2 dollar coin. Obviously, for a nicer mini replacing the barrel with a bit of brass rod would make it look better and printing the model in more parts would allow for a better finish and less need for supports.
youre the official grog toy builder!!!
do not make anything star sends you
why is it always me? :tickedoff: why cant it be "don't make something that Mirth sends you"?
I'm the accomplished model builder here after all! >:(
We bought that same printer for our office a while back when it first came out for $600 CDN. It's OK for prototyping but it's not very good at fine detail.
Make sure you update the PC software and the printer firmware. lots of small changes that seem to help out.
There are already lots of hacks out there for it. Some are for eh software/firmware, some are for the filament cartridges.
There is a chip I the cartridge that tells the printer how much filament is left. Some has hacked a way to reset that and them you need to (break) open the cartridge to re-fill.
There is some kind of basic code that will make the thing print more finely. The build sample in models use this so you get really good print outs. But eh code sent from the PC is not as good at controlling the printer for some reason.... >:(
We haven't hacked ours as it voids the warranty... but as that nears its end we're looking at more seriously....
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 26, 2015, 09:38:36 AM
I'm the accomplished model builder here after all! >:(
Yes, but 90% of your work has been props for the midget porn industry.
Quote from: Barthheart on April 26, 2015, 10:44:23 AM
We bought that same printer for our office a while back when it first came out for $600 CDN. It's OK for prototyping but it's not very good at fine detail.
Make sure you update the PC software and the printer firmware. lots of small changes that seem to help out.
There are already lots of hacks out there for it. Some are for eh software/firmware, some are for the filament cartridges.
There is a chip I the cartridge that tells the printer how much filament is left. Some has hacked a way to reset that and them you need to (break) open the cartridge to re-fill.
There is some kind of basic code that will make the thing print more finely. The build sample in models use this so you get really good print outs. But eh code sent from the PC is not as good at controlling the printer for some reason.... >:(
We haven't hacked ours as it voids the warranty... but as that nears its end we're looking at more seriously....
Barth,
I'm not ready to get too crazy into hacking the machine but I've already updated the firmware and I'm using the latest software from the site (I never use the disks that come with stuff since they're obsolete before they even ship) so I'm good there. I'd be interested in knowing about any improvements in the level of precision though. How long have you guys had it? Any problems? Also:
What kind of parts do you use it for?
Once you have a prototype that you like what machine or service you do use to create a production run or single durable use part?
Theres a company called Shapeways that a lot of modelrrs use for finer custom parts.
I just checked shapeways out. Since I don't have any models to upload and get a quote I just perused the shop. Their stuff ain't cheap!
So how much would it cost to print out a platoon of Tigers?
it's cheaper just to buy the miniatures
Right. This thing is for making stuff that isn't already available, like...
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.kinja-img.com%2Fgawker-media%2Fimage%2Fupload%2F19g9gunudjfmvjpg.jpg&hash=d7f9d4bfe69e709daefb38b2e9428d59bad993f7)
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 26, 2015, 05:18:42 PM
Right. This thing is for making stuff that isn't already available, like...
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.kinja-img.com%2Fgawker-media%2Fimage%2Fupload%2F19g9gunudjfmvjpg.jpg&hash=d7f9d4bfe69e709daefb38b2e9428d59bad993f7)
Sweeeeeeetttt!
dont fuck with my wargaming google-fu!
(https://pbeyecandy.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/a-40-02.jpg)
https://pbeyecandy.wordpress.com/2013/02/14/soviet-light-tanks-the-a-40-glider/
Showoff. :P
I've been looking for a 3d model of the T-60 that the glider was based on, figuring I could try and do the wings and tail myself in something like Blender or maybe Sketch-up but so far there are no cheap or free ones out there, just some outrageously expensive one on Turbosquid.com. :(
Right now I have a roughly 1/30 to 1/40 scale VW Camper brewing in the printer. I'll measure it when done to get final scale.
Looks like it will take about 20 hours. ::)
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 26, 2015, 02:25:24 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on April 26, 2015, 10:44:23 AM
We bought that same printer for our office a while back when it first came out for $600 CDN. It's OK for prototyping but it's not very good at fine detail.
Make sure you update the PC software and the printer firmware. lots of small changes that seem to help out.
There are already lots of hacks out there for it. Some are for eh software/firmware, some are for the filament cartridges.
There is a chip I the cartridge that tells the printer how much filament is left. Some has hacked a way to reset that and them you need to (break) open the cartridge to re-fill.
There is some kind of basic code that will make the thing print more finely. The build sample in models use this so you get really good print outs. But eh code sent from the PC is not as good at controlling the printer for some reason.... >:(
We haven't hacked ours as it voids the warranty... but as that nears its end we're looking at more seriously....
Barth,
I'm not ready to get too crazy into hacking the machine but I've already updated the firmware and I'm using the latest software from the site (I never use the disks that come with stuff since they're obsolete before they even ship) so I'm good there. I'd be interested in knowing about any improvements in the level of precision though. How long have you guys had it? Any problems? Also:
What kind of parts do you use it for?
Once you have a prototype that you like what machine or service you do use to create a production run or single durable use part?
So far we haven't been able to increase the precision at all above the slight improvements from the software updates. We've had the machine for about a year now. Not used it much to be honest.
The only problem we had is that sometimes the filament doesn't stick to the platter and then your model is ruined by the extrusion head dragging the blob of semi-melted plastic around. >:(
We've had to run a manual calibration to fix that problem. Not too hard but touchy.
We mostly have used it for making plastic models of parts that we will later make out of metal in our machine shop. We can see possible problems ahead of time by give the plastic part to the machinist so he can suggest better ways to actually make the part from metal.
We don't use the plastic parts for anything in the real world other than models.
Quote from: GJK on April 26, 2015, 04:17:04 PM
So how much would it cost to print out a platoon of Tigers?
The filament cost about $40 CDN for a cartridge of 900 g. Stagger will have to tell you how much material the Tiger took to make. The machine gives you the approx. amount before you start, based on resolution and size of model. This lets you change the resolution or re-work the model to use less material. It also prevents you starting a model if you don't have enough filament left in the current cartridge.
Guessing from the size of the Tiger I'd say about 10 g of filament were used. So 1 Tiger costs about $0.44 CDN. Cheaper than the $5 for a GHQ metal model and larger scale.
Barth, don't forget to prorate the cost of the printer. Over 4 tanks, well... :))
Have you had to reboot your office machine yet? I can't find the button combo anywhere in the instructions and right now the printer is stuck in an initialization loop. on/off and Unplugging have not helped so far. I have a support ticket in but I've heard that Davinci's CS dept is iffy.
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 27, 2015, 06:25:42 PM
Barth, don't forget to prorate the cost of the printer. Over 4 tanks, well... :))
Have you had to reboot your office machine yet? I can't find the button combo anywhere in the instructions and right now the printer is stuck in an initialization loop. on/off and Unplugging have not helped so far. I have a support ticket in but I've heard that Davinci's CS dept is iffy.
Don't prorate. Just right off the printer and you start at zero! :D
Not had to re-boot.... not even sure how that would work... hard power reset should work. ???
Hopefully I don't have a bad board then. The printer stopped in the middle of the VW build and the extruder head returned to home but the platform stayed elevated.