I'm surprised a thread hadn't already been started. $20 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/365360/)
I've only watched the tutorial and played a couple of the training scenarios so far. Solid, deep turn-based combat with punishing difficulty. It's been described as turn-based Mount & Blade, but I haven't played enough to comment on that as yet.
I think it is more a Jagged Alliance in fantasy setting. For now they don't have storyline so it feels more like Mount & Blade. I like the tactical combat. It is hard and punishing. For now the game is bit clunky. I have few crashes, but nonetheless I like it very much.
I saw it, watched the vids - couldn't get past the massive heads for player pieces, my fault I knowv
The graphics are great, very erm graphic - you can see the faces of your little guys get all cut and bruised. One of my darlings got decapitated, and then a burly bandit stomped on his body. He didn't recover from it.
I saw it a couple of days ago and tried the demo..just didn't immediately grab my attention, although I realize the demo is pretty old. Will watch and see how things go.....graphics aren't my favorite looking, but if the rest of the game turns out wel, can overlook it.
Played it a bit.
It seems pretty hard.
Either that or I'm doing things wrong.
My guys, even with 2-3 additional idiots added to my roster, can't even take out the first bandit outpost.
So, it's sorta XCom meets F Troop?
Quote from: Tpek on April 28, 2015, 04:33:47 AM
Played it a bit.
It seems pretty hard.
Either that or I'm doing things wrong.
My guys, even with 2-3 additional idiots added to my roster, can't even take out the first bandit outpost.
I've read elsewhere that even though the bandit outpost is the first mission and the map lists it as "weak", it's only weak once you have a full compliment of 12 guys. You have to wander around fighting random stuff and build up first.
As to the graphics, I didn't like them at first, either, but i'm getting used to them.
Yes fights are brutal. Mercenaries die after 2-3 hits. You have to buy shields and keep you guys together. It is also important to keep eye on fatigue. Don't rush into the battle. Wait for the enemy so you can attack first. I had no problem with first battle and I had 6 guys.
I was very excited about this game and I'm glad that I bought it. So if you are excited about it you should get it too. The tactical battle are solid and fun to play. Strategic part is a bit clunky and needs some work. It can crash from time to time but they aren't frequent. The game isn't balanced so even week opponent can be very hard. I find orcs deadly. They charge at you doing massive damage so you need change tactic. Zombies are straightforward but they can resurrect themselves.
If you are not excited about it wait for some more content and polishing.
One thing I'm definitely not digging is the micromanagement of travel. I'm sure this will be straightened out eventually, but if you want to move your party along a road to get it to cross a bridge, you have to move one hex at a time.
I wasn't impressed with the graphics, but the game itself looks like it has more potential. I'm wondering what you can do apart from just fight?
Quote from: Boggit on April 28, 2015, 09:10:28 AM
I wasn't impressed with the graphics, but the game itself looks like it has more potential. I'm wondering what you can do apart from just fight?
So far, nothing. Recruit units, fight, buy and sell equipment, upgrade and replace units after battle, rinse and repeat. There supposed is a story campaign in the works with different factions you can owe allegiance to, but that's not in yet.
I'd like to see the excellent combat system in a game with a deeper strategy layer. A remake of Darklands using this engine would be awesome.
I would like to say that since despite the title this isn't a WH40K game I'm not interested.
But I would be lying.
I plan on picking this up sometime. Just not yet. Gonna let it simmer (like many others).
Hooo....
Finally won (survived) my first battle.
My 6 idiots against a few orcs.
Only lost 1 guy.
The rest leveled up and I've found some loot and enough gold to recruit a replacement. :)
Just curious if any update impressions on this game...20% so was tempted to pick up even though my initial demo impressions weren't overwhelming.
It has change considerably. I already sunk 56h in it. Neat sandbox, if you want that Black Company meets Jagged Alliance vibe. But it's still undergoing development, and there are still some issues and bugs.
Expect an unfinished product, that can change a lot in its development; but it's very much playable as it is.
The developers are very active and responsive to player feedback, which gives me hope for the state at the 1.0 release.
Quote from: Beowulf on March 13, 2016, 02:53:48 PM
It has change considerably. I already sunk 56h in it. Neat sandbox, if you want that Black Company meets Jagged Alliance vibe. But it's still undergoing development, and there are still some issues and bugs.
Expect an unfinished product, that can change a lot in its development; but it's very much playable as it is.
The developers are very active and responsive to player feedback, which gives me hope for the state at the 1.0 release.
Thanks for the info....might need to give a try.
I'm just hoping it gets finished soon.
Can't wait to actually be able to fully enjoy the game.
This is coming along, regular updates and the game is evolving nicely.
Quote from: Tpek on March 14, 2016, 05:56:36 AM
I'm just hoping it gets finished soon.
Can't wait to actually be able to fully enjoy the game.
I can't help the impression that it's just a little too one dimensional. Has there been more expansion to stuff beyond than repetitive fights, like a campaign, or at least something to put the fights into a context?
Quote from: Boggit on March 25, 2016, 12:17:10 AM
Quote from: Tpek on March 14, 2016, 05:56:36 AM
I'm just hoping it gets finished soon.
Can't wait to actually be able to fully enjoy the game.
I can't help the impression that it's just a little too one dimensional. Has there been more expansion to stuff beyond than repetitive fights, like a campaign, or at least something to put the fights into a context?
There has been a campaign layer for quite awhile.
Actually, I think they've mostly been adding content & such to the campaign map play lately.
I've wanted to fire Battle Brothers up recently, but have been forcing myself to put it off until they get all that extra stuff in. It was quite enjoyable when I tried it a few months ago even though the variety of enemy armies & missions you could take on the campaign map were limited at the time.
The turn-based combat was fun. Managing your merc company on the open campaign has huge enjoyment potential, even if you just summarize it as light roster management & rpg with a stream of optional missions to find.