http://kcalderw.blogspot.gr/2015/04/using-video-games-to-enhance-learning.html
(As seen on Tim Stone's column, http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/01/the-flare-path-may-day-mayday/ )
Excellent application of the technology. I had never really thought about this game and a touch screen, but that makes sense, too.
i imagine if schools did more to teach history through simulation and experiential tools, more students would be interested and would retain more. I'm going to share this with my wife (a school administrator) and brainstorm opportunities where I might br able to help out with something like this.
Good point, Panzerde. I think simulations are a great way for kids to engage with history. It's all very well yacking on about dates and events, but if you can make it a relevant context, then that makes sense to people.
Quote from: panzerde on May 02, 2015, 10:35:57 AM
i imagine if schools did more to teach history through simulation and experiential tools, more students would be interested and would retain more.
This is basically what Muzzy Lane has been doing for years and what Making History was originally created for.
It works well, at least with my kids. When they see an animated armored hoplite or huscarl on screen, or an IS-2 rolling across a steppe landscape, they are enthralled. And they're still pretty young (6 and 9). I don't know why games aren't used more for teaching.