$19.99 digital download. Anyone play this, comments, playable?? I like the era but have memories of reading not so good stuff about this game.
I ended up selling my copy as the AI was just not capable of playing the game. I know there have been a lot of patches since I got rid of my copy though so perhaps it's better now.
I read two reviews, both from 2008, and they were critical of the AI and interface....appears this is deep and complicated game.
Rayfer, I sent you a pm.
Quote from: Rayfer on May 04, 2015, 05:18:20 PM
I read two reviews, both from 2008, and they were critical of the AI and interface....appears this is deep and complicated game.
One of those reviews was probably the one I did for ACG.
For me, I could never really get to that feeling of love for EIA. I think it is because EIA makes you work pretty hard as the player, and it gives relatively little in return. But to be fair to EIA, I also really haven't touched it in about five years. So I assume it is in a much better place then when first released.
My "go to" game in this niche is Crown of Glory - Emperor's Edition. For the same amount of "work" CoG gives me detailed land and sea battles. It also just "feels" like it has a soul...IMHO.
Man, I've wanted this game forever, but I just can't find any positive feedback on it.
One feature the game has that is unique, is that battles can be resolved outside of the game. So it was used by some folks in conjunction with Histwar and even miniatures as a campaign engine. That alone, might make it worth the purchase for some folks.
However, you can probably achieve the same result for free and with minimal frustration by using the Vassal module of Struggle of Nations.
I beat my head for some time against this iteration of one of the greatest boardgames ever and eventually gave up.
A hard copy will set you back a good deal more than this, but, as AzTank suggests above, Vassal strikes me as a far better choice.
Now, in retirement, six friends, a fridge full of beer, and a game of EiA is a WEEKEND.
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Quote from: Cyrano on May 08, 2015, 08:49:48 AM
I beat my head for some time against this iteration of one of the greatest boardgames ever and eventually gave up.
+1
Me too.
Like.
Poke.
etc..