GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Cyrano on May 05, 2015, 07:30:59 PM

Title: Who Fell Asleep and Let the 40k License Slip Into Competent Hands?
Post by: Cyrano on May 05, 2015, 07:30:59 PM
http://www.warhammer40kregicide.com/

Downloading the early access Steam version now, but it seems like a narrowly-focused, clever design.  Admittedly, it's not the turn-based tactical 40k game most of us want, but, I'm looking forward to it...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Also remarkable is the pleasant-looking (OK, not that that should matter, but a fellah notices such things) 40k-competent FEMALE project lead that appears in the Steam "first look" video.
Title: Re: Who Fell Asleep and Let the 40k License Slip Into Competent Hands?
Post by: Cyrano on May 05, 2015, 09:49:43 PM
Well, I'll say this much...it's an early access game, but I think I may be falling a little bit in love.

The "Classic" mode is Battle Chess (yeah, that one from 100 years ago) except with Blood Angels and Orks.

The "Regicide" mode is a minor modification of chess wherein the moves are those of a chessboard, but each side is given a number of action points at the end of each movement.  Those points can be used to fire on other units, use special powers, "go to ground" (buff defense), and other choices.  Chess move captures cause opponent death outright, but, failing that, action points can be spent to fire, frag, assault, &c., the other team into submission as well.

It's a low-intensity, low-investment game that, I should mention, is awfully good looking even at this early stage.

Looking forward to watching this one evolve.

Title: Re: Who Fell Asleep and Let the 40k License Slip Into Competent Hands?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 06, 2015, 06:24:24 AM
Quote from: Cyrano on May 05, 2015, 09:49:43 PM
Well, I'll say this much...it's an early access game, but I think I may be falling a little bit in love.

The "Classic" mode is Battle Chess (yeah, that one from 100 years ago) except with Blood Angels and Orks.

The "Regicide" mode is a minor modification of chess wherein the moves are those of a chessboard, but each side is given a number of action points at the end of each movement.  Those points can be used to fire on other units, use special powers, "go to ground" (buff defense), and other choices.  Chess move captures cause opponent death outright, but, failing that, action points can be spent to fire, frag, assault, &c., the other team into submission as well.

It's a low-intensity, low-investment game that, I should mention, is awfully good looking even at this early stage.

Looking forward to watching this one evolve.

Very good assessment. My thoughts exactly.
Title: Re: Who Fell Asleep and Let the 40k License Slip Into Competent Hands?
Post by: bayonetbrant on May 06, 2015, 06:39:06 AM
I'm always surprised when there's a halfway decent 40k computer game.  There's no way that GW's primary motivation of "sell more figures" is enhanced by creating virtual versions of said figures.
Title: Re: Who Fell Asleep and Let the 40k License Slip Into Competent Hands?
Post by: JudgeDredd on May 06, 2015, 07:43:18 AM
I'm not into the Warhammer world - but it looks interesting.

I'm not sure I'm totally sold on the chess board battle area though.
Title: Re: Who Fell Asleep and Let the 40k License Slip Into Competent Hands?
Post by: MIGMaster on May 06, 2015, 09:31:12 AM
Sorta reminds me of Incubation - nothing like playing chess with advanced weaponry.
Title: Re: Who Fell Asleep and Let the 40k License Slip Into Competent Hands?
Post by: Cyrano on May 06, 2015, 10:31:19 AM
Incubation is one of the bestest computer games EVAH...EVAH.  It's definitely not my beloved Incubation.

How you feel about playing modified chess with very nicely done WH40K dudes will predicate your views of this game.  I was also amused by the VERY heavily inflected Ork-speak.  There were two of their little calls that I actually had to hear twice before parsing.

@brant:  That's why we've never had a follow-up to either "Final Liberation" or "Chaos Gate", right?

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: Who Fell Asleep and Let the 40k License Slip Into Competent Hands?
Post by: Nefaro on May 06, 2015, 11:35:13 AM
I'll be the first, and possibly only, naysayer.

40K Chess?  No thanks.   :-\
Title: Re: Who Fell Asleep and Let the 40k License Slip Into Competent Hands?
Post by: undercovergeek on May 06, 2015, 11:47:58 AM
im with you nef
Title: Re: Who Fell Asleep and Let the 40k License Slip Into Competent Hands?
Post by: Cyrano on May 06, 2015, 12:00:32 PM
'naff humies...one of oom playz wiff toyz...judgez Orkz?

DAKKA-DAKKA-DAKKA, sez I...

Title: Re: Who Fell Asleep and Let the 40k License Slip Into Competent Hands?
Post by: bayonetbrant on May 06, 2015, 12:02:40 PM
it just seems like every time GW is in danger of inching toward a solid hit 40K-themed computer game, they turn and run screaming in the other direction.  They've said for years that their primary market motivator is selling their own merch - figs, paints, etc.  If a computer game starts to siphon off those folks, how does that meet their primary market goal?
Title: Re: Who Fell Asleep and Let the 40k License Slip Into Competent Hands?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 06, 2015, 12:56:08 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 06, 2015, 12:02:40 PM
it just seems like every time GW is in danger of inching toward a solid hit 40K-themed computer game, they turn and run screaming in the other direction.  They've said for years that their primary market motivator is selling their own merch - figs, paints, etc.  If a computer game starts to siphon off those folks, how does that meet their primary market goal?

Because the market is shifting. More people are playing electronic games than tabletop. I think they are going to have change their plan if they want to survive.

i have high hopes for the upcoming FPS Deathwing.
Title: Re: Who Fell Asleep and Let the 40k License Slip Into Competent Hands?
Post by: Cyrano on May 06, 2015, 12:58:02 PM
I read Priestley once saying that they didn't want to create games that replaced the tabletop experience.  The only ones that really took a crack at that, it seems to me, were FL and CG.  All the others were either RTSs, third-person shooters, or some strange mini-game like, well, "Regicide".  I suppose the notion is that it gets people to like the IP and will lead them to the source so that they may drink Original Wisdom straight from the Bolt-thrower fountain.

I've been waiting for the whole grim scam to come to a crashing halt for years and it never has...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Title: Re: Who Fell Asleep and Let the 40k License Slip Into Competent Hands?
Post by: undercovergeek on May 06, 2015, 02:08:39 PM
theres plenty melting their armies over the new fantasy update

im always intrigued as to the marketing - i was introduced to it by a nerd at school at 15 but not once after that has anyone ever mentioned it to me, how do they put it out there?