GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Zulu1966 on May 15, 2015, 03:38:20 PM

Title: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Zulu1966 on May 15, 2015, 03:38:20 PM
http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1695/Tigers.on.the.Hunt.needs.true.wargamers.for.beta!

No screens or anything but sounds good.
Anyone know anything ?
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: LongBlade on May 15, 2015, 03:53:40 PM
QuoteTigers on the Hunt boasts a ferocious and adaptive AI which will dynamically respond to a player's maneuvers.

source: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/578/details/Tigers.on.the.Hunt

It's still in Beta. How can they claim it's boasting something that's still in development?
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Zulu1966 on May 15, 2015, 04:18:10 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on May 15, 2015, 03:53:40 PM
QuoteTigers on the Hunt boasts a ferocious and adaptive AI which will dynamically respond to a player's maneuvers.

source: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/578/details/Tigers.on.the.Hunt

It's still in Beta. How can they claim it's boasting something that's still in development?

Don't know. Guess its an aspiration. Or the BETA is more advanced than they are showing.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: mikeck on May 15, 2015, 05:23:33 PM
Well nowadays beta means what alpha used to it seems like.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Freyland on May 15, 2015, 05:52:27 PM
If it's WEGO, then I'd bite in a heartbeat.  Not clear on product page, unless "turn-based" automatically implies IGOUGO. 
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Nefaro on May 15, 2015, 05:53:28 PM
Another WW2 game with the name "Tigers" in the title?

Wow.   I'm [feigning being] surprised.    :-\


Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Staggerwing on May 15, 2015, 06:01:23 PM
The system reqs are rather low.

I wonder if this the fabled 'reboot' of the legendary 'Tigers on the Prowl' that has been whispered about, for lo these many years. I'd heard that the code had changed hands a few times from HPS to parties unknown.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: jomni on May 15, 2015, 06:28:13 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 15, 2015, 05:53:28 PM
Another WW2 game with the name "Tigers" in the title?

Wow.   I'm [feigning being] surprised.    :-\

Better than Panzer
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Richie61 on May 15, 2015, 08:18:27 PM
Sounds interesting  :o

QuoteThis is the first I have heard of this game, the product page makes for interesting reading, but I'm not really getting a clear picture of what the gameplay is going to be like. Are we talking something like SPWAW?

QuoteYes, it's similar to Steel Panthers though a turn is broken down into segments...there is a fire segment and movement segment.
:D
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Space6ghost on May 15, 2015, 11:36:22 PM
Hopefully it does not take long to come out. They still have a game that is "in development" and has been so since the year 2000. That is right, 15 years. :o I do believe it is the one called Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!)
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Richie61 on May 15, 2015, 11:52:20 PM
The biggest bummer of this new title is NO PBEM  :knuppel2:
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Al on May 16, 2015, 09:01:21 AM
Quote from: Space6ghost on May 15, 2015, 11:36:22 PM
Hopefully it does not take long to come out. They still have a game that is "in development" and has been so since the year 2000. That is right, 15 years. :o I do believe it is the one called Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!)

Matrix should just quietly remove that game from their forum.

The new game from Matrix does look interesting.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Pinetree on May 16, 2015, 10:01:17 AM
I'm pretty sure that this is computer ASL but with all ASL references ripped out. The dev was working on the game a few years back.  The turn sequence alone is exactly like ASL.:

QuoteORIGINAL:  Peter Fisla

Steel Panthers was one of the games that I inspired me from the game design perspective (among others). What I mean by that, when you get the game you have access to the whole war (41 - 45) as well as great map and OOB editor - sand box type of environment (primary focus is on Eastern Front and Western Front 43 - 45; if game sells well I will add Blitzkrieg and other theater of operations). The sequence of play is more complex than in SP. You have Admin segment (in my game segment = phase), Fire segment, Movement segment, Defensive Fire segment, Advancing Fire segment, Rout Segment, Advance Segment and Close Combat Segment. So the turn is very interactive, example in Movement segment if you move a unit by one hex, or your vehicle changes facing both of these actions can trigger enemy defensive fire and because of this PBEM style of play would be very difficult.

I worked on the game since 2006 (I have done all the game development myself), about 6+ years of development + testing on top before I even decided to publish the game through matrix games. At this point the game in testing stage, the development is basically done. I'm passionate wargamer and this is a labor of love project by a wargamer for wargamers :)


and here's the old thread where he mentioned he was working on it:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3303245&mpage=1&key=&#3303944 (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3303245&mpage=1&key=&#3303944)
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Zulu1966 on May 16, 2015, 10:46:10 AM
Quote from: Pinetree on May 16, 2015, 10:01:17 AM
I'm pretty sure that this is computer ASL but with all ASL references ripped out. The dev was working on the game a few years back.  The turn sequence alone is exactly like ASL.:

QuoteORIGINAL:  Peter Fisla

Steel Panthers was one of the games that I inspired me from the game design perspective (among others). What I mean by that, when you get the game you have access to the whole war (41 - 45) as well as great map and OOB editor - sand box type of environment (primary focus is on Eastern Front and Western Front 43 - 45; if game sells well I will add Blitzkrieg and other theater of operations). The sequence of play is more complex than in SP. You have Admin segment (in my game segment = phase), Fire segment, Movement segment, Defensive Fire segment, Advancing Fire segment, Rout Segment, Advance Segment and Close Combat Segment. So the turn is very interactive, example in Movement segment if you move a unit by one hex, or your vehicle changes facing both of these actions can trigger enemy defensive fire and because of this PBEM style of play would be very difficult.

I worked on the game since 2006 (I have done all the game development myself), about 6+ years of development + testing on top before I even decided to publish the game through matrix games. At this point the game in testing stage, the development is basically done. I'm passionate wargamer and this is a labor of love project by a wargamer for wargamers :)



and here's the old thread where he mentioned he was working on it:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3303245&mpage=1&key=&#3303944 (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3303245&mpage=1&key=&#3303944)

I think you are likely correct...be interesting to see if simply saying it isn't ASL is enough. Even if it looks and plays exactly like it. I guess they have that one covered. At least if hes been doing it for 6 years its a way along already.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Rayfer on May 16, 2015, 11:08:47 AM
Isn't Matrix's LnL: Heroes of Stalingrad already a lot like ASL? Or am I wrong with that impression?
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: GJK on May 16, 2015, 11:10:59 AM
I did some "playtesting" for Peter on his Computer ASL game back in '05/06.  He had a really nice looking project in the works but at the time the rules it covered were less what SK1 would later have in it.  I should still have an early build on my computer somewhere, I'll have to revisit that.

Agree on the copyright issue, I know that many "cease and desist" letters have been sent out for things that walk, talk or act like something while calling itself something else.  Good for Peter, I'll be anxiously watching this one.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: GJK on May 16, 2015, 11:12:29 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on May 16, 2015, 11:08:47 AM
Isn't Matrix's LnL: Heroes of Stalingrad already a lot like ASL? Or am I wrong with that impression?

It's counters, hexes and squads and they move and you can roll on a table to "shoot" at one another.  I think the similarities about end there.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Rayfer on May 16, 2015, 08:19:57 PM
Quote from: GJK on May 16, 2015, 11:12:29 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on May 16, 2015, 11:08:47 AM
Isn't Matrix's LnL: Heroes of Stalingrad already a lot like ASL? Or am I wrong with that impression?

It's counters, hexes and squads and they move and you can roll on a table to "shoot" at one another.  I think the similarities about end there.

Thanks GJK. I asked only because there are no screenshots on the Matrix product page. I used to play ASL as a board game many decades ago and the LnL Stalingrad pc game had that look and feel to it.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Tinkershuffle on May 26, 2015, 08:52:34 AM
First screenies are out:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3867137
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Barthheart on May 26, 2015, 08:59:29 AM
And it looks like a re-hash of JT's Squad Battles.  :(
Tank facing shown by an arrow on the counter, instead of rotating the counter.
Very ASL looking maps.
No info on the counters other than unit illustrations.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.matrixgames.com%2Famazon%2FScreenshots%2FTotH_Materials_Screenshots%2FTotH_Materials_Screenshots_2.jpg&hash=3b4c923d894de405e2d1e06cce68a46f1855c201)
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: GJK on May 26, 2015, 06:33:23 PM
I'm a good bit disappointed about the AFV's not being able to rotate their hull to face the hexside that they are actually facing (instead of an arrowhead) as well as not having rotating turrets. I imagine that is going to come up quite a bit as one of the biggest complaints and perhaps during testing Peter will figure out some way to make that happen.  I too would like more data on the counters themselves; my biggest pet peeve against computer games that mimic boardgames is the need to scroll over or worse click on a piece just to see what the heck it is.  Still holding out that this will be something pretty good.  I never could get in to SPWAW because the graphics and tiny screen realestate is just a total immersion killer for me - maybe this one will replace it.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: dinsdale on May 26, 2015, 06:56:04 PM
One thing I really can't understand is how far forward board game art has progressed, and how PC game art has stagnated or regressed. It is absurd to me that Vassal conversions of boardgames have better artwork and a more advanced way of portraying information than made for PC games.

Here's a very basic counter set from GMT,

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gmtgames.com%2F1914GE%2Fcounters.jpeg&hash=9ee8b83ee0969a44f71fa80ab30a502e18607804)
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Richie61 on May 26, 2015, 07:00:19 PM
I am a fan of the JT Squad Battles titles with over 1000 PBEM battles.  :D  I do like SL looks of this title, but I want to hear more about the game engine under the hood.
Peter's idea of using arrows for hull and turret rotation is a neat idea - IMO.
QuoteCorrect, the counters do not rotate, guns or assault guns like SutG IIIG have one arrow. Tanks like Sherman will have two triangles one for the hull and one for the turret.

Being able to mod the counters like in JT titles would be really cool  ;D

Still like the overall idea of the game so far  :) I would love to have a PC version of SL or ASL  >:D

Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Staggerwing on May 26, 2015, 07:31:53 PM
If the arrow is an overlay then it should be possible to mod the overlay into a full-size turret. Redo the unit base art to show the tank from the top and turn the arrow into a real turret.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Richie61 on May 26, 2015, 07:58:46 PM
Maybe, but I would guess they are like the JT titles and a small triangle and not a full hex based overlay. I am very interested to see if the counters are bmp type images and can be changed
like in JT titles. I have a bunch of images floating in my head.  :)

Maybe SB Pacific type images?
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi738.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx28%2FRichie61leader%2FPG-PF3_zpscb3283c9.jpg&hash=656a822ea77efd8c67391d8e2ec83b34659ff020)

or SB Advance of the Reich?

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi738.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx28%2FRichie61leader%2FAotR-GP-mod-1_zps98df8d6d.jpg&hash=bccc3e770c09152bb3c6bbe334505902d1ca1844)





Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: GJK on May 26, 2015, 10:33:29 PM
The side view of the AFV's in a tactical game of this scale reminds me of when Excaliber took over "Panzer" from Yaquinto and changed the artwork from top-down view to a side-view.  Nobody liked it and the game flopped.  Panzer today once GMT took it over?

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcf.geekdo-images.com%2Fimages%2Fpic1121922.jpg&hash=56fa304b50b155e16ba3f0a4c240da7eaa848699)

But like Richie says, the modders will come out and make their own variations on things once released.  If it's possible, I bet you'll see a top-down view of the AFV's (whether or not it or a turret actually "rotates").
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Gerry on July 20, 2015, 12:15:13 PM
Some screenshots at
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/29/the-flare-path-trainz-and-tigerz/

Looks ASLish. I would be happy with this as I think ASL is great but rules are too complicated. Maybe he will add PBEM down the road. Hoping it makes first of all. And as Richie says that the AI is good.

What is the projected date?
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Nefaro on July 20, 2015, 01:35:42 PM
Quote from: GJK on May 26, 2015, 10:33:29 PM
The side view of the AFV's in a tactical game of this scale reminds me of when Excaliber took over "Panzer" from Yaquinto and changed the artwork from top-down view to a side-view.

They did the same thing to the aircraft counters in their reprint of Wings, too.   :-\
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Rayfer on July 20, 2015, 02:31:18 PM
I actually preferred the top-down rather than side view AFV counters in the Advanced Squad Leader board game.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Boggit on July 21, 2015, 02:55:06 PM
Quote from: Pinetree on May 16, 2015, 10:01:17 AM
I'm pretty sure that this is computer ASL but with all ASL references ripped out. The dev was working on the game a few years back.  The turn sequence alone is exactly like ASL.:

QuoteORIGINAL:  Peter Fisla

Steel Panthers was one of the games that I inspired me from the game design perspective (among others). What I mean by that, when you get the game you have access to the whole war (41 - 45) as well as great map and OOB editor - sand box type of environment (primary focus is on Eastern Front and Western Front 43 - 45; if game sells well I will add Blitzkrieg and other theater of operations). The sequence of play is more complex than in SP. You have Admin segment (in my game segment = phase), Fire segment, Movement segment, Defensive Fire segment, Advancing Fire segment, Rout Segment, Advance Segment and Close Combat Segment. So the turn is very interactive, example in Movement segment if you move a unit by one hex, or your vehicle changes facing both of these actions can trigger enemy defensive fire and because of this PBEM style of play would be very difficult.

I worked on the game since 2006 (I have done all the game development myself), about 6+ years of development + testing on top before I even decided to publish the game through matrix games. At this point the game in testing stage, the development is basically done. I'm passionate wargamer and this is a labor of love project by a wargamer for wargamers :)


and here's the old thread where he mentioned he was working on it:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3303245&mpage=1&key=&#3303944 (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3303245&mpage=1&key=&#3303944)
I thought ASL as soon as I saw it. You could be right here.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: GJK on July 22, 2015, 05:31:19 AM
Peter started working on this in '07 or '08 as computer ASL for himself.  I have the early builds of it from then and he had scans of ASL counters in there and the turn structure was ASL and he had a good many details from the ASL rulebook (but not all of them...what other game could include all of them??).  He had a really good start for making the vaulted "computer ASL".

At some point recently, this little homemade project drew the interests of the folks at Matrix.  Not sure who approached whom (Peter talked about it quite a bit on their forums as linked to above). 

Of course now if it goes from a homemade project to something commercial, you have licensing issues if you make it "ASL" (Hasbro).  So now the ASL counters are replaced by what you see in the screenshots.  Missing is any reference to ASL, including the stats on the counters and the charts and tables used to resolve combat.  You'll see the results of the combat but not how those results were obtained.  However, the sequence of play still follows ASL.  It looks like a duck.  It walks like a duck.  It's just hiding the duck's shit to fool you in to thinking that it isn't a duck.  I'm not convinced that Hasbro won't see it as a duck once people start saying "computer ASL!".

This is very moddable.  It's a single graphic file that has all the units and terrain pieces.  I've modded it by using VASL counters and yes, it looks very much like the duck. 

Game play is a bit quirky.  Ok, it's really quirky right now but manageable (talking about the UI).  The game does play like ASL but it's missing quite a bit out of the ASL rulebook.  It's missing some key concepts that even the Starter Kit rulebook has but is it a good substitute for ASL?  I'll let you all decide but give me the boardgame any day.  It's not bad though if you want to play a 'pickup' game that is close to ASL. 
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: dinsdale on July 22, 2015, 09:36:07 AM
Quote from: GJK on July 22, 2015, 05:31:19 AMI'm not convinced that Hasbro won't see it as a duck once people start saying "computer ASL!".
From what I understand, this doesn't matter. ASL trademarks and assets are protected, but the rules themselves are not. Provided he's not cut/pasting the ASL rulebook, or any of the source material he should be fine.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: RyanE on July 22, 2015, 11:43:21 AM
Keep in mind that it doesn't matter if he's right or wrong.  Hasbro has a lot of lawyers I bet.  They could crush him on look and feel only.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: GJK on July 22, 2015, 12:11:42 PM
Quote from: dinsdale on July 22, 2015, 09:36:07 AM
Quote from: GJK on July 22, 2015, 05:31:19 AMI'm not convinced that Hasbro won't see it as a duck once people start saying "computer ASL!".
From what I understand, this doesn't matter. ASL trademarks and assets are protected, but the rules themselves are not. Provided he's not cut/pasting the ASL rulebook, or any of the source material he should be fine.

My understanding (from MMP) is that Multiman Publishing has exclusive licensing rights for ASL material, including the rulebook, modules, scenarios, etc. for the tabletop components and Hasbro maintains ALL the rights for any electronic/digital stuff from the old Avalon Hill catalog. 

Now that said, did Critical Hit obtain any type permission to make ASL "clone" maps/counters/scenario/modules?  I don't know.  Conversely, did Rodney Kinney and the VASL/VASSAL team get any kind of permissions to distribute electronic formats of ASL (sans rules)?  That too I don't know (other than the disclaimer on the VASSAL website).  I do know that Peter has stated that he doesn't want to risk any litigation from rights owners were he to show dice rolls and combat results where it would be simple enough to figure out that he's using the IFT from ASL for the combat resolution.  Is that alone enough?  Dunno.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: RyanE on July 22, 2015, 12:50:04 PM
VASL, in its early years, had some brushes with right holders. 

And I think Hasbro holds the rights to computer-based ASL.  Not sure what the definition is though.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: dinsdale on July 22, 2015, 01:13:29 PM
ASL rules are not patented, there is no protection for turn sequence or rules if they are re-written and not branded; otherwise there would be only 1 boardgame with a CRT and 1 boardgame which ever used a hex map.....plus of course the entire PC industry :)

Hasbro's lawyers could probably stop me from getting a drivers license renewal if they put their mind to it, but I doubt they would bother with me, or with a niche-within-niche pc game with a passing resemblance to ASL and no overt copyright violation.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Zulu1966 on July 23, 2015, 07:50:11 AM
Quote from: GJK on July 22, 2015, 05:31:19 AM
Peter started working on this in '07 or '08 as computer ASL for himself.  I have the early builds of it from then and he had scans of ASL counters in there and the turn structure was ASL and he had a good many details from the ASL rulebook (but not all of them...what other game could include all of them??).  He had a really good start for making the vaulted "computer ASL".

At some point recently, this little homemade project drew the interests of the folks at Matrix.  Not sure who approached whom (Peter talked about it quite a bit on their forums as linked to above). 

Of course now if it goes from a homemade project to something commercial, you have licensing issues if you make it "ASL" (Hasbro).  So now the ASL counters are replaced by what you see in the screenshots.  Missing is any reference to ASL, including the stats on the counters and the charts and tables used to resolve combat.  You'll see the results of the combat but not how those results were obtained.  However, the sequence of play still follows ASL.  It looks like a duck.  It walks like a duck.  It's just hiding the duck's shit to fool you in to thinking that it isn't a duck.  I'm not convinced that Hasbro won't see it as a duck once people start saying "computer ASL!".

This is very moddable.  It's a single graphic file that has all the units and terrain pieces.  I've modded it by using VASL counters and yes, it looks very much like the duck. 

Game play is a bit quirky.  Ok, it's really quirky right now but manageable (talking about the UI).  The game does play like ASL but it's missing quite a bit out of the ASL rulebook.  It's missing some key concepts that even the Starter Kit rulebook has but is it a good substitute for ASL?  I'll let you all decide but give me the boardgame any day.  It's
not bad though if you want to play a 'pickup' game that is close to ASL.

OK, so that doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement. Is your view based on recent experience or as it was then ?
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: GJK on July 23, 2015, 09:29:36 AM
I'm a beta tester now.

"Tigers" is the closest thing to an AI enabled computer ASL game that there is because at its core, it is in a large part ASL (turn structure, defensive fire principles, etc).  I'm just disappointed in that with so much potential to actually be 'the' "ASL on the computer" game, the developer won't show the IFT, dice rolls, unit data (except in the manual) for fear of the wrath of Hasbro when everything else is ASL.  Doesn't make sense to me.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Richie61 on July 23, 2015, 09:16:35 PM
Quote from: GJK on July 23, 2015, 09:29:36 AM
I'm a beta tester now.

"Tigers" is the closest thing to an AI enabled computer ASL game that there is because at its core, it is in a large part ASL (turn structure, defensive fire principles, etc).  I'm just disappointed in that with so much potential to actually be 'the' "ASL on the computer" game, the developer won't show the IFT, dice rolls, unit data (except in the manual) for fear of the wrath of Hasbro when everything else is ASL.  Doesn't make sense to me.

Would be nice to see the calculations and how the game engine uses the data, but I do see were Peter is coming from. Most the HPS/ JT game engine is hidden too  ;)
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: GJK on July 24, 2015, 07:38:09 AM
Well this may sound a bit like a conspiracy theorist, but I think that's he's opting to hide that information for other reasons.  He has too much other "ASL" in this game for him to be worried about showing that he's also using the IFT to resolve combat.  I feel that he's hiding something in the combat calculations routine.  Maybe he just doesn't want to open himself up for scrutiny, or maybe he has a major bug in there that he doesn't want to deal with- we'll never know though because all of that is hidden from the end user.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Richie61 on July 24, 2015, 08:19:30 AM
Yeah, I can agree with all of your comments too.  ;) My guess is that by hiding the data from public that he feels it keeps people from arguing about the numbers and how it works. It's one of them
deals where it's a no win at the end of the day. I would like to see the data and how it works too.  :)

Overall I like the title. I was a SL guy and have some ASL stuff, but never really got into ASL because life got busy (teenage). So at the end of the day TotH is a throw back to SL.
I only play squad based games on PC and tables, so it's Squad Battles and Tigers On The Hunt for me. I would like to see addition features added to make game play faster and easier,
but I am not a programer and don't understand how or what it takes to write codes.

I do like the AI so far  :)

Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Gerry on July 24, 2015, 11:17:04 AM
Well the AI is the really important part of course. Modders always do a good job with counters, etc.

In terms of the data the player still has to have some idea how their units match up against the others surely?  For grogs it is probably obvious which German vehicle is no match for a T-34. But I need some way of comparing...

I definitely hope that none of the scenarios involve 12 maps. I couldn't get my head around that. I am hoping he was just indicating the upper limit of the system. 
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Zulu1966 on July 24, 2015, 11:41:47 AM
I do like the idea of the "campaign" stuff mentioned though.

If its sort of like ASL will be good enough for me. Hope someone mods the terrain though - looks a bit bland to me.

Will definitely be buying though.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Richie61 on July 24, 2015, 05:00:37 PM
Quote from: Gerry on July 24, 2015, 11:17:04 AM
Well the AI is the really important part of course. Modders always do a good job with counters, etc.

In terms of the data the player still has to have some idea how their units match up against the others surely?  For grogs it is probably obvious which German vehicle is no match for a T-34. But I need some way of comparing...

I definitely hope that none of the scenarios involve 12 maps. I couldn't get my head around that. I am hoping he was just indicating the upper limit of the system.

AI is great IMO. There with be a scenario design part of the game too. Most scenario are ASL size  ;)
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Gerry on July 25, 2015, 09:07:20 AM
Well it is getting more interesting to me. Waiting is a killer.

Gerry
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Richie61 on July 26, 2015, 06:03:58 PM
Quote from: GJK on July 22, 2015, 05:31:19 AM
The game does play like ASL but it's missing quite a bit out of the ASL rulebook.  It's missing some key concepts that even the Starter Kit rulebook has but is it a good substitute for ASL?  I'll let you all decide but give me the boardgame any day.  It's not bad though if you want to play a 'pickup' game that is close to ASL.

I don't have the new ASL Starter Kit or modules, so what rules are missing?
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: GJK on July 26, 2015, 07:18:01 PM
Quote from: Richie61 on July 26, 2015, 06:03:58 PM
Quote from: GJK on July 22, 2015, 05:31:19 AM
The game does play like ASL but it's missing quite a bit out of the ASL rulebook.  It's missing some key concepts that even the Starter Kit rulebook has but is it a good substitute for ASL?  I'll let you all decide but give me the boardgame any day.  It's not bad though if you want to play a 'pickup' game that is close to ASL.

I don't have the new ASL Starter Kit or modules, so what rules are missing?

Off the top of my head and I very well may be incorrect on some of these: infantry smoke, smoke in to empty hexes, subsequent first fire, final protective fire, flamethrowers, demolition charges, LATW's, field promotions, captured equipment, Hidden Initial Placement, target acquisition (has area but not target), vehicle bog, ambushes.
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Richie61 on July 26, 2015, 08:53:57 PM
Scenario #019 has demo charges and flamethrowers.

I agree with the smoke items.

It has AFV bog in the game. Are you looking for something different?

I thought it had "captured weapons", but yeah it doesn't.

Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Gerry on July 26, 2015, 10:48:39 PM
Richie:

Any idea of the targeted number of scenarios? Any campaigns included?

I am amazed at the breadth of the offering - one nice thing about ASL was you could be playing Germans vs Brits in the Ardennes and then next scenario play the Germans vs Russians in the East.

Gerry
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Richie61 on July 27, 2015, 08:46:09 AM
Not sure I can really say much right now, but I would guess at 25 plus scenarios. There is also a good scenario editor and new scenarios should be easy to design with a little work.
I haven't tried to make an scenarios yet. I haven't looked into the campaign part of the title. I have be testing existing/ updated scenarios.

Just remember that the game is being offered as NOT a digital copy of ASL. It's based off of ASL rules.  ;)
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Gerry on July 27, 2015, 09:28:42 AM
Poor phrasing on my part. Most games today give you one, or part of one, theater to play. Combat Mission is really just offering a year in one theater as part of their new games.  (PCO was an exception and quite impressive with all of Eastern Front). So the idea of playing either West/East front is really nice.

I like WW II history but I don't want to have to do a ton of history reading at the moment to enjoy the scenarios so I am hoping there will be (semi-) historical scenarios with a nice briefing to pull me in.

Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Richie61 on July 27, 2015, 10:33:59 AM
Gerry,

There are American, British, German and Soviet forces in the title. I would say ETO, Eastern Front and maybe late North Africa.
The only thing limiting early ETO/ North Africa would be British armor. I would guess that early British armor & NA maps could be added at sometime.
The small arms and AT/ Arty. guns are there for 1939 - 1945 all fronts  ;)
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Staggerwing on July 27, 2015, 06:39:20 PM
Quote from: Gerry on July 27, 2015, 09:28:42 AM
Combat Mission is really just offering a year in one theater as part of their new games.  (PCO was an exception and quite impressive with all of Eastern Front).


*Ehem*
Panzer Command: Ostfront was not done by Battlefront at all. It was originally created by (iirc) Koios Studios. When Koios went under then development was continued first in-house by Matrix Games itself and later by some very talented volunteers.

Maybe you already know this but I just wanted that to be clear.  :)
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Toonces on July 27, 2015, 06:46:27 PM
LT GJK!  I want you to take that hill!  There's an infantry squad up there, supported by some light anti-tank weapons.  Can you take that hill son?!!!

Well sir, let's see....I have a -2 modifier for attacking uphill.  But, I have a +3 modifier for experienced troops....but my MG element has a -6 modifier against AT weapons, and my medic has a -3 against explosive wounds.  But if we attack in daylight I get a +5 for superior day-vision...let me add all that up....

(consults tables)

I can do it, sir!!!11!!!   ::)
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: panzerde on July 27, 2015, 07:33:18 PM
Wait, is it winter? Consult the Kindling Availability Table!

Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Richie61 on July 28, 2015, 07:27:56 AM
Panzer Command: Ostfront[/quote]

New patch just released for PCO  :)
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Pete Dero on July 28, 2015, 07:57:49 AM
Quote from: Richie61 on July 28, 2015, 07:27:56 AM
Panzer Command: Ostfront

New patch just released for PCO  :)

Is this the 3.30 patch released end may you are referring to ( http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3858792&mpage=1&#3900968 ) or did they release another one (that i can't find) ?
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Richie61 on July 28, 2015, 02:50:11 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on July 28, 2015, 07:57:49 AM
Quote from: Richie61 on July 28, 2015, 07:27:56 AM
Panzer Command: Ostfront

New patch just released for PCO  :)

Is this the 3.30 patch released end may you are referring to ( http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3858792&mpage=1&#3900968 ) or did they release another one (that i can't find) ?

Yes, that is the latest. I beta tested it before release, but forgot it came out 5/12/2015. I am getting old and time flies  :o
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Barthheart on July 28, 2015, 08:10:18 PM
Quote from: panzerde on July 27, 2015, 07:33:18 PM
Wait, is it winter? Consult the Kindling Availability Table!

:2funny:

One of many reasons I gave up on ASL.  :buck2:
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: GJK on July 28, 2015, 10:32:57 PM
Quote from: Toonces on July 27, 2015, 06:46:27 PM
LT GJK!  I want you to take that hill!  There's an infantry squad up there, supported by some light anti-tank weapons.  Can you take that hill son?!!!

Well sir, let's see....I have a -2 modifier for attacking uphill.  But, I have a +3 modifier for experienced troops....but my MG element has a -6 modifier against AT weapons, and my medic has a -3 against explosive wounds.  But if we attack in daylight I get a +5 for superior day-vision...let me add all that up....

(consults tables)

I can do it, sir!!!11!!!   ::)

Well, actually it's +1 for firing uphill unless TEM is taken, elite/experienced troops will have a higher morale but no bonus on the IFT, an AT Gun could be emplaced or HIP'd and will have a gunshield modifer- nothing special against firing at AT teams and the +5 for superior day vision is Call of Duty, not ASL - but YES!  That's what I want! Gimme my IFT and To Hit/To Kill tables!!!  :)
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: Gerry on August 08, 2015, 01:28:38 PM
Wondering if the playtesters can say anything/nothing about the game so far?
Title: Re: New Wargame from Matrix
Post by: BlackJaguar on December 02, 2015, 06:10:38 PM
Hi guys,

My name is Peter Fisla and I'm developer behind the game called "Tigers on the Hunt" - the game is inspired by ASL board game. I have been developing the game for about 8+ years + 2 years of polishing and fixing bugs. This is my labor of love project, I plan to support it for many years to come. Assuming the game sells well, I plan to work on expansion (adding French and Italian nationalities). As a matter of fact, I plan to deliver the first release candiate this weekend. I handed off the draft manual to Slitherine few days ago. The target date is early Q1 2016, please feel free to ask me questions.