Now this is interesting.
QuoteA new map has revealed the most distinctive causes of death for each state from black lung in coal-heavy states to influenza in a few cold-weather states.
The map was created by looking at the causes of death for each state, calculating the rate of death per capita, and then comparing them against national rates. The findings were published Thursday in the journal Preventing Chronic Disease, Public Health Research, Practice and Policy.
Francis Boscoe, a research scientist at the New York State Health Department and lead author of the study, told ABC News that they looked for outliers in each state to determine the most distinctive cause of death.
source: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/map-breaks-distinctive-death-state/story?id=31074907
It does, however, raise some questions.
In Louisiana the distinctive cause of death is syphilis.
In Nevada, New Mexico, and Oregon it's "Legal Intervention," whatever that means.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fpcd%2Fissues%2F2015%2Fimages%2F14_0395_large_01.jpg&hash=65fc5264b80d0314fd01660674e9b6ea189a940f)
^@Florida, Aids isn't the killer itself, it just destroys the body's immune system making it vulnerable to other diseases.
Looks like Gus, JH, and I are safe from the deadly norm in our states, unless Inflammatory Disease of the Female Pelvic Organs also leads the afflicted to commit a few androcides before succumbing to their illness...
I wanted to move to the state listing "old age" :P
TENNESSEE, F*&% YEAH!! WATCHOO GONNA DO WHEN THEY COME FOR {blam}
...and, okay, Alabama, but they help make up the T. (Don't tell them this. Unless we're managing to win the Bama game that year.)
Extra points for using the approximate shade of Tennessee Orange to make the 'T' with.
I know accidental firearm deaths are pretty horrible, actually worse than when it's on purpose -- we've had one or two accidental ones over the years on the road my family and I have lived and worked on for most of my life (and where I'm writing right now). But still. It's a side-effect of the population being 100% ready to kick ass.
(And, uh, over 33% obese...)
Tuberculosis? In Texas?!? WTF, is this 1812?
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 30, 2015, 09:28:35 AM
Tuberculosis? In Texas?!? WTF, is this 1812?
Probably imported in steady droves from the continent and a half south of their border.
^ I'm sure you cannot be implying illegal immigration of some kind. Goodness knows our Governor keeps our borders secure, as does the federal government! Pish-posh.
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 30, 2015, 10:46:31 AM
^ I'm sure you cannot be implying illegal immigration of some kind. Goodness knows our Governor keeps our borders secure, as does the federal government! Pish-posh.
:2funny:
:2funny: