Dunno if any of you were into Star Wars Galaxies, but theres a new MMO currently in early alpha, that delivers a similar deep experience, but with less Jedi. More OCD crafting and skillsets a bit like EVE.
It's called The Repopulation
https://www.therepopulation.com/
The world has been desolated, and mankind is now trying to survive and repopulate it.
Theres a whole series of vids showing you the ins and outs, but with the caveat that its all in alpha and being worked on.
Some areas are rough and ready, but immediately you'll feel the skill and crafting depth of SWG. Whilst the worlds and the content isn't there at the moment, theres a lot to do from the off, in terms of learning, and tweaking.
I bought into it, because its a) new, b) sci-fi, c) not free-to-play monetised on the mechanics and d) a bit old school.
Anyone dabbling there is only one European server, shout up, I'm 'fadewyn'. There are two US servers, but I haven't got a character on either... but I might be willing to take the lag hit, if anyone is intertested.
I've had it for a while though the last time I played it was months ago.
I sort of had hard time finding my heads and legs in this game, more so than you'd expect in a sandbox mmorpg.
Looks interesting. I'll keep an eye on it.
Being in "Alpha", I expect a lot will change before release (and numerous wipes).
In the skill department, the depth of this game is pretty incredible - tons, tons of various combat skills, but head asploded when I learned that there is a storytelling skill. If you and some people are in one of the rest areas you can begin a story and by using abilities others can add on to it. Apparently the longer and/or more interesting the story, the more of a buff people in the area receive.
Hopefully it isn't easy to grief a story by ending it with a lame tier 1 joke or something. Unless there is troll profession of course. It would just be roleplaying in that case :)