GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Cyrano on May 26, 2015, 09:57:05 PM

Title: In Praise of the Nigh-Ancient John Tiller Campaign Series
Post by: Cyrano on May 26, 2015, 09:57:05 PM
I will not pretend it is the most modern, hippest game out there.

However, at the level of WWII combat that it seeks to simulate (basically company+, although, as with every game, some insist on bumping it higher) it continues to do an amazing job.  Doug wandered back into it as part of his recent obsession with the ETO and I followed willingly enough as I'd purchased the three pack (WF, EF, and RS) back ages ago during a Matrix sale.

Until getting into a PBEM with Doug, though, I never realized how truly remarkable this system is.  There's a dedicated crew of modders and patchers that are making it better all the time and the notion of the proposed Modern War version covering both VietNam and the Arab-Israeli conflict is exciting and worthy of support.

Now, in its current form, the 2D counters are just too small (they're working on that), but this is one of the few games where, with the bases on, I can tolerate the 3D models.  The level of detail that's in each of the battles and the units within the battles well makes up for any of that.  Moreover, and this was the craziest part, there's a full-on campaign and scenario generation system alongside hundreds of scenarios.  I was alive for all this and somehow missed the time when JTS released games with toolboxes...how the world has changed.

Oh, and did I mention, you can now get this mod for WF:

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FWfouYEO.png&hash=651f36ddae19aedd8b22dcde7e1c5bd9136cb4b4)

Grad student me suddenly did not matriculate...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)