GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: RedArgo on June 09, 2015, 07:30:27 AM

Title: Master of Orion returning
Post by: RedArgo on June 09, 2015, 07:30:27 AM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06/09/world-of-tanks-publisher-working-on-master-of-orion/#more-293701 (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06/09/world-of-tanks-publisher-working-on-master-of-orion/#more-293701)

http://masteroforion.com/ (http://masteroforion.com/)

Looks like maybe a remake and not a reimagining.  Looking forward to see what they have come up with.  It says more to come at E3 which is next week.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: bbmike on June 09, 2015, 08:05:52 AM
Cautiously hopeful.  8)
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: OJsDad on June 09, 2015, 09:01:27 AM
I was hoping for a redo on MOOIII.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Anguille on June 09, 2015, 10:28:57 AM
MOO 2 may be next. I just hope it's not a MMO. If mot, i am happy, cautious but happy. Hope tout read more gold news.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Greybriar on June 09, 2015, 11:16:26 AM
From its Pre-Order Info page (http://masteroforion.com/en/#galaxy): "Over 20 solar systems with more than 100 unique stars for the taking"

Those are much smaller numbers than the ones in Master of Orion II.  :-\
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Bison on June 09, 2015, 11:20:53 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on June 09, 2015, 11:16:26 AM
From its Pre-Order Info page (http://masteroforion.com/en/#galaxy): "Over 20 solar systems with more than 100 unique stars for the taking"

Those are much smaller numbers than the ones in Master of Orion II.  :-\

With so much more opportunity of DLC...:(
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Nefaro on June 09, 2015, 11:34:56 AM
Quote from: Bison on June 09, 2015, 11:20:53 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on June 09, 2015, 11:16:26 AM
From its Pre-Order Info page (http://masteroforion.com/en/#galaxy): "Over 20 solar systems with more than 100 unique stars for the taking"

Those are much smaller numbers than the ones in Master of Orion II.  :-\

With so much more opportunity of DLC...:(

QFT.

I like the idea of DLC as expansions.  As in.. adding more content to a complete base game we enjoy.

But all those old arguments about developers cutting back the base game content in favor of DLC sales has been coming true.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Swatter on June 09, 2015, 12:31:47 PM
I am a little skeptical, but I am glad something is in the works.

I am a little confused with the game's scale. 20 star systems? I guess we will find out eventually.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Huw the Poo on June 09, 2015, 12:32:01 PM
How can there be 100 stars but only 20 solar systems?  Doesn't sound right.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: steve58 on June 09, 2015, 03:03:16 PM
Apparently there are only quintuple-star systems in that sector of the galaxy...:coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Huw the Poo on June 09, 2015, 03:43:45 PM
You're asked to register before viewing the pre-order page.  Kiss my hairy arse.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: KyzBP on June 09, 2015, 03:56:40 PM
Somehow it'll turn into a First Person Shooter.  >:(
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: bbmike on June 09, 2015, 06:09:36 PM
Huw, you've already pointed out two things that have me very worried.  :(
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Greybriar on June 09, 2015, 07:49:58 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 09, 2015, 03:43:45 PM
You're asked to register before viewing the pre-order page.  Kiss my hairy arse.

Just scroll down the page I linked to using the vertical slider on the right of the browser window. You don't have to register.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Huw the Poo on June 10, 2015, 12:45:10 AM
Am I missing something?  If I scroll all the way down, I just see "Be one of the first to pre-order!"  But no other info.  If I click that, I'm then asked to register.  I was hoping to see details of price and platform etc.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Greybriar on June 10, 2015, 03:05:17 AM
Don't click on anything, Huw. Just drag the vertical scroll bar on the right side of the screen slowly up and down and you'll see some messages about the game. At least that's how I did it.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Huw the Poo on June 10, 2015, 04:21:16 AM
Yeah but I was looking for more than that...as I said, price and platform etc.  You'd think the pre-order page would have those details but I'm not going to register an account just to find out.  They can naff off!
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Greybriar on June 10, 2015, 05:57:06 AM
It's so early in the game's development that it doesn't look like the forum moderators know what's going on (see Post #9 in this thread (http://forum.masteroforion.com/index.php?/topic/35-sign-me-up-for-alpha/)):

Quote from: ElPozoleOlmeca
Hey everyone,

Welcome to Master of Orion, thank you for stopping by!  For right now just sit tight as we get you more info during E3.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Anguille on June 11, 2015, 05:16:16 AM
I am slightly worried by the galaxy map in the screenshot...i really hope they are not going to us starlanes (i came to like in MOO3 but i really prefer open space like in Armada 2526 or MOO 1 & 2.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: OJsDad on June 11, 2015, 07:16:15 AM
I like starlanes, and wish they would have implemented the ability to build starbases next to them, as was originally planned. 
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Anguille on June 11, 2015, 07:58:45 AM
Quote from: OJsDad on June 11, 2015, 07:16:15 AM
I like starlanes, and wish they would have implemented the ability to build starbases next to them, as was originally planned.
Which is the case in Birth of the Federation. I do like starlanes like they are used in MOO2, Birth of the Federation and Armada 2526. However, it's not my favorite if it is the main and only way to move (Space Empires, MOO3, Pax Imperia etc.). It should be a valuable ressource.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Greybriar on June 12, 2015, 08:10:06 AM
The recent articles from PC Gamer (http://www.pcgamer.com/wargaming-on-master-of-orion-this-is-a-passion-for-us/) ("Wargaming on Master of Orion: this Is a Passion for Us") and Polygon (http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/11/8765643/master-of-orion-reboot-wont-be-free-to-play-will-incorporate-best) ("Master of Orion reboot won't be free-to-play, will incorporate best mechanics from trilogy") shed some light on Master of Orion reboot.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: RedArgo on June 12, 2015, 08:37:37 AM
Sounds like no ship design and no tactical combat.  That's not an out yet, but it is two strikes in my book.

Armada 2526 is already a good game except for those two things, but that did leave me feeling less than fulfilled.

Hopefully, we'll learn more next week.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: OJsDad on June 12, 2015, 08:40:18 AM
I fired up MOO3 the other day, but it was quite lacking when compared to Distant Worlds. 
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Arctic Blast on June 12, 2015, 02:41:44 PM
I'm actually somewhat intrigued by a space 4X without ship building. I tire of ship building. I'm supposed to be a goddamn imperial space emperor...can I not hire engineers to take care of that crap?
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Staggerwing on June 12, 2015, 07:08:06 PM
^Good point, though every once in a while an emperor wants to design a ship of ludicrous proportions and armament.
Who cares if it rolls over in the harbor because it has too many cannons high above the water line or blows up because some rebel scum shoot missiles down an unshielded exhaust port that leads straight to the reactor core?

You're the frigging Emperor! Someone else frakked up!
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: reapagan on June 12, 2015, 07:55:10 PM
No ship building, no tactical combat, no dice.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Anguille on June 13, 2015, 11:55:07 AM
Quote from: reapagan on June 12, 2015, 07:55:10 PM
No ship building, no tactical combat, no dice.
If you see his comments below the article, you'll see that there are tactical combat ans ship building.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: steve58 on October 06, 2015, 01:04:13 PM
An update from Spacesector (http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2015/10/master-of-orion-conquer-the-stars-first-look-video/) and a first look video.

Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Ian C on October 06, 2015, 04:03:18 PM
Nice graphics and high visual production values but stats and screens look completely dumbed-down. I'm hoping for the depth of MOO3 brought up to date. Maybe the star ratings are just macro ratings and there's more in a sub-menu?
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Swatter on October 06, 2015, 05:03:26 PM
So, the Iksar are a playable race?

I am very underwhelmed with the trailer.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Nefaro on October 06, 2015, 05:58:16 PM
With the small amount of gameplay shown in that vid, I'm almost inclined to think it's being made as a tablet game.  ???

Didn't look like much.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: steve58 on January 04, 2016, 01:22:46 PM
Steam page is up.  Release date is TBD.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/298050
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Martok on January 05, 2016, 07:50:32 AM
I'm not sure why, but I just can't get excited about this one. 

Maybe because I was never a MOO fanatic to begin with, maybe because this reboot/sequel looks & sounds very generic to me, maybe other things.  I dunno. 

Not that anything about the game actually looks or sounds bad per se, it's just that absolutely nothing about it stands out for me.  Anytime I see screenshots/video for the game, or read an article/preview about it, I simply feel an overwhelming sense of "meh".  Is it just me? 

Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: undercovergeek on January 05, 2016, 08:00:46 AM
i think its just at the end of a long line of good looking 4x space games right now and doesnt do anything they dont so its a bit meh
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Anguille on January 05, 2016, 08:10:48 AM
I agree with both of you. However, as MOO was the first game i got hooked on, it's going to be a day one purchase for me even if i despise the idea of starlanes in a 4x.

I can't help it....i am weak.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: tgb on January 05, 2016, 08:44:07 AM
As others have said, from what I can tell the game doesn't have an original idea in it's body, and I can't see getting it when I already have Endless Space, GalCIv II/III, Distant Worlds, Horizon, Apollo 4X, etc. etc.  Not to mention MOO 1-3.

Plus both Stellaris and Endless Space II are on the way
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Anguille on January 05, 2016, 09:06:41 AM
Quote from: tgb on January 05, 2016, 08:44:07 AM
As others have said, from what I can tell the game doesn't have an original idea in it's body, and I can't see getting it when I already have Endless Space, GalCIv II/III, Distant Worlds, Horizon, Apollo 4X, etc. etc.  Not to mention MOO 1-3.

Plus both Stellaris and Endless Space II are on the way
I agree. MOO4 would be different enough if it wasn't using starlanes. Imho, the most promising one is Stellaris. Endless Space II will be gorgeous (visuals are probably going to be the best) and Polaris Sector looks interesting too.

Anyway, once i get it, i'll tell you what i think about it.
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Rayfer on January 05, 2016, 09:11:50 AM
Quote from: tgb on January 05, 2016, 08:44:07 AM
As others have said, from what I can tell the game doesn't have an original idea in it's body, and I can't see getting it when I already have Endless Space, GalCIv II/III, Distant Worlds, Horizon, Apollo 4X, etc. etc.  Not to mention MOO 1-3.

Plus both Stellaris and Endless Space II are on the way

Agreed.....a big +1
Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: Martok on January 05, 2016, 03:34:21 PM
Quote from: Anguille on January 05, 2016, 09:06:41 AM
Imho, the most promising one is Stellaris. Endless Space II will be gorgeous (visuals are probably going to be the best) and Polaris Sector looks interesting too.
To be honest, I'm ambivalent about ES2 as well, if only because I found the first Endless Space somewhat lackluster.  Perhaps that was just because it was Amplitude's rookie effort, though (which, to be fair, wasn't bad for their first game).  I would genuinely like the sequel to surprise me (in a good way). 

Absolutely agreed on Stellaris and Polaris Sector, however.  The latter looks pretty good, and the former looks freakin' fantastic! 



Quote from: Anguille on January 05, 2016, 09:06:41 AM
Anyway, once i get it, i'll tell you what i think about it.
Sounds good, man.  I'll look forward to hearing your impressions.  O0 

Title: Re: Master of Orion returning
Post by: FarAway Sooner on January 06, 2016, 11:55:14 AM
If they do anything novel or innovative here, I'll probably give it a try.  If the goal is just to make a dumbed-down 4x in an effort to appeal to a younger audience, I guess they can give it a try, but I'm not their target market.  As has been noted elsewhere in this thread, there are too many other good games that built on the original for me to spend lots of time chasing a reskinned version of the original.